The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 100 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2971 of 3482 Old 12-26-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

So what's the difference in the decoders? They both do Dolby Digital, DD+, TrueHD, DTS and DTS-MA.

That chart is wrong. If a receiver does Dolby Pro Logic IIx then it also does Pro Logic II.

and what's the difference between DTS-HD, DTS-HD High Resolution and DTS-HD MA? They're all the same to me.

I just saw 4 Red X's and I will assume the 675 has more updated Decoders. Will test out the 675 and my Sony 790 with the Disney WOW and Total Recall 4K Blu-rays to see if they can now be played without having to take the 790 off Audio Auto and put on PCM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 3482 Old 12-26-2013, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

We have a living room setup where we usually need to turn off the rear speakers (they're right next to your ear).  When we sit down to watch a movie, we move the couch (it's light) and use the rears.

Is there a setting on the 673 that make this simple?  The manual made it look like the "scene" settings is what I want, but it didn't seem like those could adjust between (just the 3 front speakers) and (three front and two rear) speakers.

(Bonus question - if the 673 doesn't do this, I'd appreciate pointers to any receivers that do.  Also, is there a name for this?  I've tried googling for things like "different speaker configurations" but you get vast quantities of results that talk about how to do a single setup, not one that changes).

post #2973 of 3482 Old 12-26-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 145
You can easily switch to 2ch Stereo. It won't use the centre speaker, but you don't really need it unless you're watching a movie.
post #2974 of 3482 Old 12-26-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

You can easily switch to 2ch Stereo. It won't use the centre speaker, but you don't really need it unless you're watching a movie.

I think you may still have audio possibly still coming out the back speakers on 2ch Stereo.
post #2975 of 3482 Old 12-26-2013, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 145
No, 2ch Stereo only uses the front L and R speakers.
post #2976 of 3482 Old 12-26-2013, 06:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Correct. But also know that the latest version of the Yamaha remote app for iOS (and I assume Android) recommends updating to 1.80 for more stability and compatibility. I am running 1.80 with no issues to report.
All the updates say for added stability and compatibility. Its a generic description.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #2977 of 3482 Old 12-26-2013, 08:43 PM

Liked: 11
Can this receiver listen to another source while on a hdmi input? To be able to listen to music while gaming.
post #2978 of 3482 Old 12-27-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggNewt View Post

Can this receiver listen to another source while on a hdmi input? To be able to listen to music while gaming.

I was wondering the exact same thing. Just hooked mine up yesterday!
post #2979 of 3482 Old 12-27-2013, 02:37 PM

Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggNewt View Post

You can do the opposite. You can choose an audio source (Airplay, Internet radio, Server, radio tuner, and I think AV1 through AV4) and set its Video Out to the HDMI input you want to watch. I have Airplay, Internet radio, Server, and the tuner set to use HDMI1 (my TV input) as the Video Out, so I can listen to those audio sources with TV showing on the screen. It's occasionally annoying when the black box showing the song information pops up. Server (DLNA) is the worst, as it seems to pop the box up every time a new song comes on.
post #2980 of 3482 Old 12-27-2013, 02:43 PM

Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Moore View Post

We have a living room setup where we usually need to turn off the rear speakers (they're right next to your ear).  When we sit down to watch a movie, we move the couch (it's light) and use the rears.

Is there a setting on the 673 that make this simple?  The manual made it look like the "scene" settings is what I want, but it didn't seem like those could adjust between (just the 3 front speakers) and (three front and two rear) speakers.

(Bonus question - if the 673 doesn't do this, I'd appreciate pointers to any receivers that do.  Also, is there a name for this?  I've tried googling for things like "different speaker configurations" but you get vast quantities of results that talk about how to do a single setup, not one that changes).

Have you run YPAO? Actually, I'm not clear on whether you have the 673, or if you're asking this question as part of your evaluation. In any case, YPAO is the automatic room and response correction that Yamaha has. It will set the level of each speaker according to how close they are to the listening position. If the speakers are right by your ears, it will set them lower. If they're still not low enough, you can manually set them lower. There's a limit though, and it might start setting the fronts higher to make up the difference. Either way, you should be able to get up to 20 dB (maybe 24 dB, can't remember if it's +/-10 or 12 dB, and I'm not at home to check) difference between the different speakers.

I don't know if this is something that would work for you, but I thought I'd throw it out there for consideration.
post #2981 of 3482 Old 12-27-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Moore View Post

Menu > Setup > Manual Setup > Configuration > Surround speakers > None

post #2982 of 3482 Old 12-28-2013, 02:13 AM

QUESTION ON VIDEO AUX

I am setting up some surveillance cameras in the house. To test one I plugged it into the RCA plug on the front of the 673; switched impute to v-aux but, it didn't work. Tried it on other tv's and it was fine. I assume I am dong something wrong, rather than there being a problem with with the 673.

Can anyone help?
post #2983 of 3482 Old 12-28-2013, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peabodypond View Post

QUESTION ON VIDEO AUX

I am setting up some surveillance cameras in the house. To test one I plugged it into the RCA plug on the front of the 673; switched impute to v-aux but, it didn't work. Tried it on other tv's and it was fine. I assume I am dong something wrong, rather than there being a problem with with the 673.

Can anyone help?

My security camera system connects with a SVGA connector and that works OK. Check whether you have that option. PQ will be much better then a grainy composite RCA connection.
post #2984 of 3482 Old 12-28-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

It's been a long time since I've posted on avs. I currently own a 8-9 year old Denon AVR-2805 receiverin my dedicated theater using Elemental Design speakers. I love the receiver, but its older, non HDMI and no lossless audio formats.

This was nearly a $900 receiver 9 years ago. Will I hear a great improvement in audio quality by going with the Yamaha RX-673 that DOES utilize HDMI and lossless audio? On the surface, I think so, but not sure if the denon has better amplifiers and other circuitry that would sound better than the Yamaha, even with the lossless audio. I'd love to hear some opinions as I have no experience with the lossless audio. If its a huge difference in sound quality, I am thinking on either this receiver or the Onkyo TX-NR616.

Also, my ED speakers are either 4 or 6 ohm (can't recall specifically). This will run the receiver "hotter" due to less resistance. Will this be an issue with the Yamaha?

Tony
post #2985 of 3482 Old 12-28-2013, 07:01 AM

Thank you p5brown for the replay. I don't know what a SVGA connector is; could you please explain.

In my case, I simply get no signal from the video aux input in the front when using the RCA connecter. Any ideas on that?
post #2986 of 3482 Old 12-28-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

It's been a long time since I've posted on avs. I currently own a 8-9 year old Denon AVR-2805 receiverin my dedicated theater using Elemental Design speakers. I love the receiver, but its older, non HDMI and no lossless audio formats.

This was nearly a $900 receiver 9 years ago. Will I hear a great improvement in audio quality by going with the Yamaha RX-673 that DOES utilize HDMI and lossless audio? On the surface, I think so, but not sure if the denon has better amplifiers and other circuitry that would sound better than the Yamaha, even with the lossless audio. I'd love to hear some opinions as I have no experience with the lossless audio. If its a huge difference in sound quality, I am thinking on either this receiver or the Onkyo TX-NR616.

Also, my ED speakers are either 4 or 6 ohm (can't recall specifically). This will run the receiver "hotter" due to less resistance. Will this be an issue with the Yamaha?
Lossless does sound significantly better if you have quality speakers.
6 Ohm will not be a problem. 4 Ohm may be.

post #2987 of 3482 Old 12-28-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Everything sounds better with quality speakers. smile.gif

I have a Denon 3805 and use multichannel analog connections for lossless audio on Blu-ray. The player is also connected with digital coax and I rarely hear a difference when comparing the two. The high bitrate lossy outputs from Blu-ray sound great, rivaling lossless in quality.

Upgrading to get lossless decoding is likely not worth the expense. But, modern receivers have other features such as Audyssey room correction software that can substantially improve sound quality.
post #2988 of 3482 Old 12-28-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peabodypond View Post

Thank you p5brown for the replay. I don't know what a SVGA connector is; could you please explain.

In my case, I simply get no signal from the video aux input in the front when using the RCA connecter. Any ideas on that?

The SVGA connector is the 3/8" Round one with the 5 pins. All my security base and cameras use them. If you have only RCA Composite, they must be either inexpensive, or old.
post #2989 of 3482 Old 12-28-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Everything sounds better with quality speakers. smile.gif

I have a Denon 3805 and use multichannel analog connections for lossless audio on Blu-ray. The player is also connected with digital coax and I rarely hear a difference when comparing the two. The high bitrate lossy outputs from Blu-ray sound great, rivaling lossless in quality.

Upgrading to get lossless decoding is likely not worth the expense. But, modern receivers have other features such as Audyssey room correction software that can substantially improve sound quality.

My older Denon does have Audyssey. I've also ran measurements to graph my SVS sub. It all sounds good, but I feel I'm missing out on richer or fuller dialogue with the lossy audio. My Elemental Design Speakers are nice, but not "High Quality" relative to higher priced speakers. They appear much higher quality than my old Infinity speakers.

It's a dedicated theater, so I don't listen to music there. My speakers aren't great music speakers anyway. So, all the extra features mean little to me for that room. From the two posts on my question, it appears the difference wouldn't be very noticeable in my case.

Tony
post #2990 of 3482 Old 12-28-2013, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I am not aware that the ##05 models have Audyssey. They use a microphone for auto setup and have basic EQ functions, but not Audyssey and certainly nothing close to the versions of Audyssey available today.

While there's no evidence that dialog sounds better with lossless than the max bitrate lossy codecs on BD, it appears you think it will. And, thus, it likely will sound better to you. That's probably a good enough reason to get a new AVR.
post #2991 of 3482 Old 12-29-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

I am not aware that the ##05 models have Audyssey. They use a microphone for auto setup and have basic EQ functions, but not Audyssey and certainly nothing close to the versions of Audyssey available today.

While there's no evidence that dialog sounds better with lossless than the max bitrate lossy codecs on BD, it appears you think it will. And, thus, it likely will sound better to you. That's probably a good enough reason to get a new AVR.

I must have assumed it was Audessey...good to know. So, having a receiver with Audessey over the the software Denon used on their older models may be a benefit in audio quality?

Tony
post #2992 of 3482 Old 12-29-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Audyssey and YPAO are both room correction software called something different by 2 different AVR manufacturers. MCACC is the Pioneer version.
The YPAO in the 673 is almost certainly better than what you have in the old Denon.

post #2993 of 3482 Old 12-29-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

I must have assumed it was Audessey...good to know. So, having a receiver with Audessey over the the software Denon used on their older models may be a benefit in audio quality?
I believe the first Denons with Audyssey were the 06 models. The current versions of Audyssey, YPAO, and MCACC will definitely be upgrades over the auto set-up software on your 2806.
post #2994 of 3482 Old 12-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Tired of searching for answers so please don't yell that I haven't read all 100 pages of this thread.

Would love some help with these questions:

1. Is there a way to see which sound codec the receiver is outputting? (DTS HD, True HD etc.) The front panel just shows straight with my PS3 set to bitstream.

2. Where is the sub crossover setting?

3. Where is Pandora? (firmware 1.8).

4. Is it possible to use the zone 2 outs to power an external amp for front speakers with HDMI from blu ray player, satellite box etc. (possibly on party mode?)

I hate the menus on this avr btw.
post #2995 of 3482 Old 12-30-2013, 01:03 AM

I have the Energy Take Classic speakers and am entertaining this receiver. I could get it for $150 clearance at BB. Just not sure about the YPAO and the fact that it doesn't EQ the sub. Not sure if I should bite on this one or try something with at least Audyssey MultiEQ like a Denon or Onkyo for about $300 more.
post #2996 of 3482 Old 12-30-2013, 01:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Theres more to a receiver than what kind of room correction software it has. You can EQ the sub manually.

post #2997 of 3482 Old 12-30-2013, 01:16 PM

Just replaced a 10 year old Yamaha with this beast and so far have been really enjoying it.

Question: I have my CD player hooked up to the AV-1 input and my subwoofer is really lacking. I only want to adjust the subwoofer volume on that input as the HDMI inputs are perfect the way they are.

Is this possible? The volume trim says it will adjust "ALL"
post #2998 of 3482 Old 12-30-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberium View Post

Just replaced a 10 year old Yamaha with this beast and so far have been really enjoying it.

Question: I have my CD player hooked up to the AV-1 input and my subwoofer is really lacking. I only want to adjust the subwoofer volume on that input as the HDMI inputs are perfect the way they are.

Is this possible? The volume trim says it will adjust "ALL"
It is not possible. But volume trim makes it easier than on most AVRs.

post #2999 of 3482 Old 12-30-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

675 received and set up.
Now the Disney WOW Blu-ray plays the DTS. Only one issue - Sony 790 won't play the Experience\Scenes\Nature's Journey with audio unless Audio HDMI is reset to PCM. OPPO 93 plays it without issue.
Sound also appears fuller, the speaker eq autosetup quicker, with better results report.
673 heading downstairs to the Samsung PN64F8500 system.
post #3000 of 3482 Old 12-30-2013, 05:53 PM

I've heard that yamaha receivers tend to have a bright sound? Is this accurate and how much more bright than a Sony, Onkyo or Denon. I have some energy Takes and they are already slightly bright so I don't want to get too much brightness from my avr.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page