The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 103 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3061 of 3485 Old 01-08-2014, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

1. The iOS app will give you access to both receivers as separate devices.
2. I have not found a way to go through any part of the setup process for this receiver without using the onscreen menu, but you should check the user manual to make sure.
See post 3042 above.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 3485 Old 01-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

1. The iOS app will give you access to both receivers as separate devices.
2. I have not found a way to go through any part of the setup process for this receiver without using the onscreen menu, but you should check the user manual to make sure.

Thank you for the info. Not much trouble to move a 32" TV close to the allotted cabinet of the receiver. If I had a 20' HDMI cable then I would be in great shape. smile.gif

Cheers!
post #3063 of 3485 Old 01-08-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus View Post

Thank you for the info. Not much trouble to move a 32" TV close to the allotted cabinet of the receiver. If I had a 20' HDMI cable then I would be in great shape. smile.gif
http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=102&cp_id=10250&cs_id=1025005&p_id=6098&seq=1&format=3#specification

post #3064 of 3485 Old 01-08-2014, 08:35 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSandman View Post

any luck with new hdmi cable?

Not really :-(
Tried 2 different cables - both rated for HDMI 1.4 and explicitly mention ARC support - but the problem still persists.

The only difference is that the 'hickups' a slightly short and slight less frequent, but very much still present.

edit:
for those interested in which cables I got, they were these 2:
Amazon-brand: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L1ZYYM/
Monoprice-brand: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024004&p_id=3661&seq=1&format=2

Both clearly indicate that they fully support Audio Return Channel.

At this point I have basically resigned from trying to fix this :-( I'm pretty sure the culprit is the TV (not the receiver). So it just means no Dolby 5.1 when watching Netflix for me.

If I have some time this weekend, I might run a few "experiments" (mainly hooking up other components to the TV, routing the audio through the TV then to the receiver) and see if the issue is still present.
post #3065 of 3485 Old 01-08-2014, 09:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Have you tried running an optical cable from the tv to 673?

post #3066 of 3485 Old 01-09-2014, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I know everyone is going to have different results, but I was wondering if mine were typical or if something seems out of the ordinary? The sub seems wayyy off so I am not sure if I should trust the rest. I manually changed the sub to +1.0. The distances are pretty accurate. Wondering if I should go pick up a meter of my own.

Receiver - 673
Towers - KF 28
Center - KC 25
Rears - KB 15
Sub - PL-200

Left tower: 0.0 dB - 12.6 ft
Center: +3.0 dB - 12.2 ft
Right tower: +1.0 dB 13.4 ft
Sub: -7.0 db
Left rear: +5.5 dB 10.4 ft
Right rear: +2.5 dB 6.4 ft

Here is a rough drawing of my room. Green = speakers, pink = YPAO mic

post #3067 of 3485 Old 01-09-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Doesnt seem out of the ordinary to me. My guess is you have a very competent sub. You listed everything except the sub. How does the system sound? What crossover are you using?

post #3068 of 3485 Old 01-09-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson1 View Post

I know everyone is going to have different results, but I was wondering if mine were typical or if something seems out of the ordinary? The sub seems wayyy off so I am not sure if I should trust the rest. I manually changed the sub to +1.0. The distances are pretty accurate. Wondering if I should go pick up a meter of my own.

Receiver - 673
Towers - KF 28
Center - KC 25
Rears - KB 15

Left tower: 0.0 dB - 12.6 ft
Center: +3.0 dB - 12.2 ft
Right tower: +1.0 dB 13.4 ft
Sub: -7.0 db
Left rear: +5.5 dB 10.4 ft
Right rear: +2.5 dB 6.4 ft

Here is a rough drawing of my room. Green = speakers, pink = YPAO mic

I don't see anything that seems odd here. The left front seems to be setting the baseline for the front stage. The center and right front (which is farther away) are being boosted to match. The rears are different speakers, so I think it's safe to assume the boost is correct, and the difference looks OK based on the distances. That all looks fine.

With regard to the subwoofer, I have found YPAO to set it low as well. What's probably actually going on is that most of us are used to/expect/like strong bass. YPAO adjusted it flat, while most of us are accustomed to boosted bass. I set my sub volume such that YPAO adjusted it to -4 or -4.5 dB, the I adjust it up to between 0 and +2 dB. You're adjusting it up by 8 dB, which seems like an awful lot. But, whatever works for you. I tend to like strong bass for movie watching, but I find that I need to be careful with music. I like bass in music, but all music is not created equal.

Here's a little test. Play something from maybe The Rolling Stones and adjust the bass how you like it. I find that older music doesn't have strong bass like we've come to expect more recently, so you end up boosting it artificially. Then put on something like Closer by NIN, Marilyn Manson's version of Tainted Love, or Woke Up This Morning by Alabama 3 (the Soprano's theme), or some club or techno with strong bass. What you might find is that your sub is REALLY pounding (careful not to overdrive it). What this makes you realize is that when you don't hear booming bass, it means that it probably isn't there. It's worth noting that I have an SVS sub that is DSP controlled for a very flat response, which can contrast to a lesser sub that "booms" somewhere in the 40-80 Hz region making it seem like it has more output that it does and making content sound bassier than it was intended.

OK, I guess that's my slightly off-topic rant about subwoofers and bass (note: not a professional in this area).

The YPAO settings look fine. Set your system how you like and enjoy smile.gif
post #3069 of 3485 Old 01-09-2014, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Doesnt seem out of the ordinary to me. My guess is you have a very competent sub. You listed everything except the sub. How does the system sound? What crossover are you using?
Sub is a PL200. Crossover at 80. Sub volume is just under half at about 11:00. It sounds good as far as I know. I'm watching The Conjuring this weekend so that should be a true test from what I have read.
post #3070 of 3485 Old 01-09-2014, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATom View Post

I have a few answers for you if you haven't already gotten them elsewhere.

1. Look at pg. 77 of the manual "Switching information on the front display". It shows you how to rotate through the different status items by using the INFO button on the remote. If you push it enough times it will rotate to AUDIO DECODER. It will then always display that info until you select a different info display.

2. Sub crossover setting is found in one of the speaker setup sub-menus. Look at page 89. Using the on-screen menus select Setup->Speaker->Manual Setup->Bass Crossover, then just select the crossover frequency you want.

3. Pandora can be accessed by pushing the NET button (just to the right of the USB button on the upper black part of the remote). Pushing it multiple times rotates through all the internet source options available like Pandora, Rhapsody, Internet Radio, etc. There's another NET button lower on the remote under the SCENE section. That does something different, don't use it by mistake to get to Pandora.

4. Sorry, don't know the answer to this one. I'm still trying to figure out how to just set the tone control for zone 2.

Thanks a bunch. Info button so tiny it took me 3 minutes to find on the remote. smile.gif Couldn't find the sub crossover until I changed the speakers to small, it just isn't there otherwise. Still don't know about using an additional amp. Guess I should have bought the 773. frown.gif
post #3071 of 3485 Old 01-11-2014, 08:08 PM

Hi all, I want to thank you for providing this informative forum. I have learned a lot from this thread since we recently purchased the RX-V673, especially on speaker set up and calibration which we did with a combination of YPAO and manual tweaking. I just wanted to share something that happened today and ask for your thoughts and advice on it. Our TV connected to the Yamaha receiver is a Panasonic Viera TC-P65VT25. Today I decided to tune into the radio on the Yamaha while setting up some new speaker stands in the living room. I had the TV on beforehand as I was using a Lord of the Rings Blu-ray to test the surround sound on our new surround speakers. So when I turned the radio on I just left the TV on. Yamaha has a display they put up on the TV that shows what frequency you are tuned to and has the words "tuned" and "stereo" in the upper right corner of the screen that light up white when you're tuned to a station and receiving stereo sound. So I ended up doing a few things in the living room and adjoining rooms when after a while (probably at least an hour to be honest) I suddenly realized that the screen had not changed or gone to a screensaver all the time I had been running the radio through the Yamaha. I immediately turned off the TV and hoped for the best in regard to screen burn. Cut to many hours later when I turned on the TV and to my horror saw the clear burn marks of the Yamaha radio display on my TV. Fortunately the Viera has a feature under the Setup > Anti image retention menu called "scrolling bar" that presents a scrolling white vertical bar moving from left to right across the screen for 15 minutes and that seems to have done the trick at "clearing" the burn. My question is does anyone know why the TV didn't go into its usual screensaver mode when the Yamaha was displaying its radio display? I am not clear on how and when a TV will sense "no new input" for a while and start the screensaver. Second, does the Yamaha have a screensaver that I have somehow deactivated at some point? Does this rather high contrast unchanging radio display not also seem like a design flaw on Yamaha's part? Obviously in future I will leave the TV off when listening to the radio through the Yamaha so it should not happen again anyhow, but any thoughts on how to make sure some kind of screensaver kicks in would be welcome.

Edited to add that I have actually run the scrolling bar a few more times as I could still see the slightest "ghost" image of the "tuned" and "stereo" words in the upper right corner when I looked at the TV very closely.
post #3072 of 3485 Old 01-11-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Neither your tv or the 673 have a screensaver. Its only a design flaw if you have a plasma.
There should be an "x" in the bottom right of the 673 radio menu though that will turn off the 673 display.
Relying on the "no input" function will not work for you. By the time it turns the tv off you already have a problem as you discovered. I think the quickest setting for that in the Pan is 2 hours.
Keep running the scrolling bar and watching regular content. You'll be ok this time.

post #3073 of 3485 Old 01-11-2014, 08:57 PM

Thanks for your reply, Bond 007, and for drawing my attention to the "X" on the radio display menu and it's function. I appreciate your feedback and reassurance, will definitely be aware of this from now on!
post #3074 of 3485 Old 01-11-2014, 09:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

YW

post #3075 of 3485 Old 01-12-2014, 12:51 PM

Have a new problem:

Any time I adjust the AVR settings while listening to AV-1 (CD Player) the unit will shut off. When I power it back on, I get the "CHECK SPK WIRES" error. Of course I then checked my speaker wires and noticed a few loose speaker strands. I tidied everything up and then went back to listening to music. I started changing the Bass and Treble settings and then the unit shut itself off again.

This only happens while using the AV-1 input. I can change settings on the HDMI inputs all day without the unit shutting down.

The only thing I can think it might be is a faulty optical cable that I use from the CD Player to the AVR. I believe I've read about people having similar issues with faulty optical cables and the unit shutting down.

Has anyone else experienced this before? I'm going to buy a new cable tomorrow and see if that takes care of the problem.
post #3076 of 3485 Old 01-12-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfranks View Post

Thank you! I don't have component cables running to my projector (only HDMI), so I think I might buy one of these as a workaround to get 480p
http://www.neoya.com/wii2hdmi

Might be a bit late commenting here, but I bought one of these and it works great. I read the audio might be flaky with the hdmi from this device, so I used a stereo headphone-to-2-rca cable to connect the audio from this device to audio inputs on the receiver.
post #3077 of 3485 Old 01-13-2014, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by morficus View Post

Not really :-(
Tried 2 different cables - both rated for HDMI 1.4 and explicitly mention ARC support - but the problem still persists.

The only difference is that the 'hickups' a slightly short and slight less frequent, but very much still present.

edit:
for those interested in which cables I got, they were these 2:
Amazon-brand: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L1ZYYM/
Monoprice-brand: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024004&p_id=3661&seq=1&format=2

Both clearly indicate that they fully support Audio Return Channel.

At this point I have basically resigned from trying to fix this :-( I'm pretty sure the culprit is the TV (not the receiver). So it just means no Dolby 5.1 when watching Netflix for me.

If I have some time this weekend, I might run a few "experiments" (mainly hooking up other components to the TV, routing the audio through the TV then to the receiver) and see if the issue is still present.

Looks like we have a similar setup, I got a new cable as well, and I cant even get arc working. I get feedback on the tv when i press volume that it adjusts volume for my avr, and when i turn on the tv it turns on the avr, but i cannot get sound from samsung smarthub at all over hdmi. I have hdmi control set to on, and arc set to on in the yamaha, and samsung anynet is set to on as well. If theirs anything else i should do, or you have done please let me know, the hdmi cable is also plugged into hdmi 1 out of my yamaha, and hdmi 2 input of the samsung and i cant get arc working in any shape or form.

I dont know if i want to rma this, what a hassle and headache it is, i left denon because of issues, now i have issues with yamaha after all as well, its frustrating.

I also agree though the dropout i believe is samsung/netflix issue, and i hope people contact samsung since its occurring over optical as well.
post #3078 of 3485 Old 01-13-2014, 05:00 PM

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

Looks like we have a similar setup, I got a new cable as well, and I cant even get arc working. I get feedback on the tv when i press volume that it adjusts volume for my avr, and when i turn on the tv it turns on the avr, but i cannot get sound from samsung smarthub at all over hdmi. I have hdmi control set to on, and arc set to on in the yamaha, and samsung anynet is set to on as well. If theirs anything else i should do, or you have done please let me know, the hdmi cable is also plugged into hdmi 1 out of my yamaha, and hdmi 2 input of the samsung and i cant get arc working in any shape or form.

I dont know if i want to rma this, what a hassle and headache it is, i left denon because of issues, now i have issues with yamaha after all as well, its frustrating.

I also agree though the dropout i believe is samsung/netflix issue, and i hope people contact samsung since its occurring over optical as well.

I don't understand why so many people seem to have trouble with ARC.  I have a Sammy 65F8000 TV and previously a Yamaha sound bar with HDMI inputs and output to the TV.  Worked nicely.  Replaced the soundbar with a "proper" receiver.  ARC again works fine.  Not to ask a stupid question, but...  you do have the output ARC HDMI on the receiver going into the ARC on the TV, for my TV it is HDMI 3...

post #3079 of 3485 Old 01-13-2014, 05:54 PM

I'm lovin' this AVR so far. Only have it set up in 2.0 configuration for now as I build my system but it sounds fantastic. Has anyone purchased the YWA-10BL wireless adapter for theirs? I got it all hooked up and connected to my network but the darn thing won't stay connected. Streams for about 5 minutes and just drops the connection requiring a reboot to reconnect.
post #3080 of 3485 Old 01-13-2014, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

post #3081 of 3485 Old 01-14-2014, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideout99 View Post

I don't understand why so many people seem to have trouble with ARC.  I have a Sammy 65F8000 TV and previously a Yamaha sound bar with HDMI inputs and output to the TV.  Worked nicely.  Replaced the soundbar with a "proper" receiver.  ARC again works fine.  Not to ask a stupid question, but...  you do have the output ARC HDMI on the receiver going into the ARC on the TV, for my TV it is HDMI 3...

Oh i get why so many people have trouble, in my search for this i noticed people never enable what they need to and then finally get it to work, with me I know what needs to be enabled but i have had 0 luck.

As i mentioned I have a new monoprice hdmi 1.4 cable, that is running from the HDMI 1 Out of the avr which has the label arc on it into hdmi 2 of the tv which also has the arc lablel.

On the yamaha i have hdmi control set to on, and arc set to on, on the samsung tv i have anynet enabled.

The two even communicate when i power on my tv it powers on the avr, i cannot get it working vice versa however (when i power on the avr it powers on the tv). Also when i turn up the volume on the tv remote it reports thats its turning up the volume on the avr so clearly they are communicating and the samsung tv even reports its turning up the volume on my yamaha model (773)

I set the ARC input to avr 4 (default on yamahas)..... selecting that or any other available input still does not work. I receive no sound.

If im missing anything here please let me know.

Otherwise the unit is simply faulty, and I think its the avr.
post #3082 of 3485 Old 01-14-2014, 01:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Sometimes problems with ARC are compatibility issues. Sometimes it has to do with the order in which the devices are turned on. You have 3 choices.
You can continue to struggle with ARC until you find the right combination to make it work. Maybe.
You can run a digital optical cable from tv to AVR and be done with it. There is no loss of sound quality.
You can return the AVR.

post #3083 of 3485 Old 01-14-2014, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Sometimes problems with ARC are compatibility issues. Sometimes it has to do with the order in which the devices are turned on. You have 3 choices.
You can continue to struggle with ARC until you find the right combination to make it work. Maybe.
You can run a digital optical cable from tv to AVR and be done with it. There is no loss of sound quality.
You can return the AVR.

I am aware of my options.

The optical cable issue is more then just a simple issue due to me only having hdmi cables run through the wall. Also their is audio dropouts over optical which someone claimed in my tv thread are reduced over hdmi arc.

I dont plan to return the avr but i am inquiring about getting it serviced.

Out of curiosity if anyone can comment how exactly is arc suppose to function with this avr, when you go into a tv's apps does the input automatically switch on the yamaha to the arc input or does that need to be done manually? And once the app is closed does it automatically switch back to the prior input? Or does that need to be done manually as well? Im still not quite clear what is automatic and what would need to be done manually with arc.
post #3084 of 3485 Old 01-14-2014, 03:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Optical is every bit as reliable as HDMI. ARC does not change inputs for you.

post #3085 of 3485 Old 01-14-2014, 03:29 PM

Hi

I have a question concerning the "Scene" buttons on the remote.  The BD/DVD does as it's supposed to as well as the Net and Radio but the TV seems to be defaulting to the AVI 01 port and I have the TV set up through the Direct TV on HDMI port 02.  So I'd dearly love to change that to reflect where I have that plugged. 

Also, how does one get the registered bookmarks one has made on the vTuner web site to show up in the receivers bookmarks for my fav internet radio stations? 

Thanks much

Richard

post #3086 of 3485 Old 01-14-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMWolff View Post

Hi

I have a question concerning the "Scene" buttons on the remote.  The BD/DVD does as it's supposed to as well as the Net and Radio but the TV seems to be defaulting to the AVI 01 port and I have the TV set up through the Direct TV on HDMI port 02.  So I'd dearly love to change that to reflect where I have that plugged. 

Also, how does one get the registered bookmarks one has made on the vTuner web site to show up in the receivers bookmarks for my fav internet radio stations? 

Thanks much

Richard

TV typically defaults to AV4, but no matter. You can reassign the buttons by setting up an input how you want it, making sure you're currently using that input, and holding down a scene button until the front panel says something like "Set Complete".

My bookmarks just show up. I think you have to enter your AVR's MAC address (or some piece of information) on the vTuner site. I followed the directions and had no problems.
post #3087 of 3485 Old 01-14-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post

TV typically defaults to AV4, but no matter. You can reassign the buttons by setting up an input how you want it, making sure you're currently using that input, and holding down a scene button until the front panel says something like "Set Complete".

My bookmarks just show up. I think you have to enter your AVR's MAC address (or some piece of information) on the vTuner site. I followed the directions and had no problems.

Thanks much

The MAC address on the receiver is under On Screen button, Information > Network >  correct?  I copied down the MAC address perfectly but perhaps I messed up with "O" instead of zeroes but not likely since the other examples of zeroes are the same that I know are actual zeroes.  I'll have to see if I can fix that on the page or I'll just start over I guess and try again. 

Edited:  Are the : needed?  If not perhaps that's the issue. 

post #3088 of 3485 Old 01-14-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:

Thanks much

The MAC address on the receiver is under On Screen button, Information > Network >  correct?  I copied down the MAC address perfectly but perhaps I messed up with "O" instead of zeroes but not likely since the other examples of zeroes are the same that I know are actual zeroes.  I'll have to see if I can fix that on the page or I'll just start over I guess and try again. 

Yes, if it's the MAC address they're looking for. I can't actually remember if that's what they want, but I assume so. The vTuner site has to be about the worst site in the world--I can't figure out how to update anything except my password and email, and I can't see what I entered for info when I signed up. Generally, though, address inputs like that accept the colons or sometimes dashes (unless they tell you not to include them). And yes, those are zeros, not ohs--there should be no letters beyond "F".
post #3089 of 3485 Old 01-14-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:

Thanks much

YAY.  Got it figured out.  OK so those that MIGHT have the same issue as me ....

Don't add in a group folder. 

Do just browse each category and add them from there.  I found if I did a search for the radio station of choice and then wanted to add in a station it just didn't seem to work the same, at least for me.  So now I have like 16 stations added and they are all showing up in the receivers bookmarks!  YAY

post #3090 of 3485 Old 01-14-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:

YAY.  Got it figured out.  OK so those that MIGHT have the same issue as me ....

Don't add in a group folder. 
Do just browse each category and add them from there.  I found if I did a search for the radio station of choice and then wanted to add in a station it just didn't seem to work the same, at least for me.  So now I have like 16 stations added and they are all showing up in the receivers bookmarks!  YAY

Great to hear!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V673 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page