The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 109 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #3241 of 3623 Old 02-18-2014, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Okay, thank you AfroGT and Bond! Now we just need someone to fix #3! cool.gif

"It's an invention, and it makes Non-Stop Rocking possible!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 3623 Old 02-22-2014, 06:55 PM

Liked: 14

So I finally picked up this receiver.

I've got my old 5.1 Kenwood speakers hooked up, but I'm having trouble connecting my subwoofer.

The subwoofer only have the 2 spring clips, and as you know, this receiver has an RCA subwoofer in.

Anyway these can work?  Can I make a cable to run this?   Or do i need an amplified subwoofer for this?

Thanks in advance.

post #3243 of 3623 Old 02-23-2014, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgulenproto View Post

So I finally picked up this receiver.
I've got my old 5.1 Kenwood speakers hooked up, but I'm having trouble connecting my subwoofer.
The subwoofer only have the 2 spring clips, and as you know, this receiver has an RCA subwoofer in.
Anyway these can work?  Can I make a cable to run this?   Or do i need an amplified subwoofer for this?

Thanks in advance.

The RCA sub out is for an active sub. Does your sub have a way to connect the left and right mains with a high pass filter to speaker outputs (your front speakers would be connected to your sub)? If it's like the old Kenwood system I've seen, maybe it only has the two input connections and that's it. In that case, maybe someone can suggest a jimmied solution, but I would recommend an upgrade biggrin.gif A powered sub will take a big load off of the AVR, too.

EDIT: Or it may be a low pass filter to sub, and your speakers would operate full range. I'm not sure how that might be set up.
mgulenproto likes this.
post #3244 of 3623 Old 02-23-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post

The RCA sub out is for an active sub. Does your sub have a way to connect the left and right mains with a high pass filter to speaker outputs (your front speakers would be connected to your sub)? If it's like the old Kenwood system I've seen, maybe it only has the two input connections and that's it. In that case, maybe someone can suggest a jimmied solution, but I would recommend an upgrade biggrin.gif A powered sub will take a big load off of the AVR, too.

EDIT: Or it may be a low pass filter to sub, and your speakers would operate full range. I'm not sure how that might be set up.

yep, all the sub has is the 2 in (spring clips).

I figured i'd have to upgrade to an active sub after reading up on the differences, but I wanted to get owners thoughts.

Any idea about getting it to work (even just a little), until I get an active one?  Any recommendations on one, in the $150-$200 range? 

I am also looking to upgrade my speakers eventually, but these old Kenwoods still sound pretty good.  Thought about going to the 7.1, but not sure it's really worth it for the smaller size if the room (16' x 24'). can I mix speakers?  What types are best for front, surround, or rear?

Thanks again.

post #3245 of 3623 Old 02-23-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:

I figured i'd have to upgrade to an active sub after reading up on the differences, but I wanted to get owners thoughts.
Any idea about getting it to work (even just a little), until I get an active one?  Any recommendations on one, in the $150-$200 range? 

I am also looking to upgrade my speakers eventually, but these old Kenwoods still sound pretty good.  Thought about going to the 7.1, but not sure it's really worth it for the smaller size if the room (16' x 24'). can I mix speakers?  What types are best for front, surround, or rear?

Thanks again.

If you have an external amp that you could connect to the sub out to power your sub, that might be an option. But if you need to buy an amp, I'd put the money toward a new sub. You can prowl the subwoofer forums for suggestions. I think there's a budget forum or discussion somewhere. I have an SVS sub--it's the lowest ported model they have, and they run $500. Shakes the whole house, though.

There are also speaker forums you can prowl. I have a Polk RTiA setup (RTiA1 bookshelf speakers for fronts and surrounds, CSiA6 center). It is a very modest system by the standards of most people on here, but the speakers are very highly reviewed. Also, if WAF or GAF is an issue, the bookshelf speakers are kind of like big satellites as opposed to towers.

Really, when you start looking around on a site like this hang on to your wallet smile.gif
mgulenproto likes this.
post #3246 of 3623 Old 02-23-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Quote:

Thanks again.
This is a good place to post about getting a sub. I would read the last 5 pages or so to get some ideas.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1396482/budget-subwoofers-discussions-opinions-and-questions-thread/2640#post_24396229
You can start a new thread in the "Speakers" forum when youre ready to get some speakers.
mgulenproto likes this.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #3247 of 3623 Old 02-23-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Really, when you start looking around on a site like this hang on to your wallet smile.gif
+10
mgulenproto likes this.

post #3248 of 3623 Old 02-23-2014, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Hi everyone,

Last thanksgiving I bought the V673 on sale on Amazon and hooked up my old JBL SCS-136Si 6.1 speakers to the receiver.  I'm also using  a Yamaha YST-FSW150BL Advanced YST II Down-Firing Active Subwoofer. The JBL subwoofer took damage while moving so replaced it with the Yamaha. Anyhow my problem is that the midrange sounds just aren't all that strong in that like when I'm watching Sherlock on the Amazon app on my TV (which is a Samsung PN51F8500 with audio routed to the receiver) I have to turn up the audio on the receiver all the way up to hear the voices clearly but when the show plays a piece of music during an action scene I have to turn down the volume fast so the neighbors won't complain! 

I've tried calibrating this thing ten times over. Going to give the forum here a read over and see if I'm missing something. Maybe my speakers suck. Bestbuy right now has the Klipsch 5.0 Quintet set on sale for 349.00. I thought the Jbls would be adequate for a small apartment  with a media room at 14x10 feet wide. Anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

post #3249 of 3623 Old 02-23-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moheban79 View Post

Hi everyone,

Last thanksgiving I bought the V673 on sale on Amazon and hooked up my old JBL SCS-136Si 6.1 speakers to the receiver.  I'm also using  a Yamaha YST-FSW150BL Advanced YST II Down-Firing Active Subwoofer. The JBL subwoofer took damage while moving so replaced it with the Yamaha. Anyhow my problem is that the midrange sounds just aren't all that strong in that like when I'm watching Sherlock on the Amazon app on my TV (which is a Samsung PN51F8500 with audio routed to the receiver) I have to turn up the audio on the receiver all the way up to hear the voices clearly but when the show plays a piece of music during an action scene I have to turn down the volume fast so the neighbors won't complain! 

I've tried calibrating this thing ten times over. Going to give the forum here a read over and see if I'm missing something. Maybe my speakers suck. Bestbuy right now has the Klipsch 5.0 Quintet set on sale for 349.00. I thought the Jbls would be adequate for a small apartment  with a media room at 14x10 feet wide. Anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

By calibrating, do you mean running YPAO? If so, maybe your speaker set up does lack something in a certain range. Have you tried the Dialog Level in the Options pop-up menu to boost the dialog?
post #3250 of 3623 Old 02-23-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:

By calibrating, do you mean running YPAO? If so, maybe your speaker set up does lack something in a certain range. Have you tried the Dialog Level in the Options pop-up menu to boost the dialog?

Yes. The YPAO and no I haven't tried that. Thank you.
post #3251 of 3623 Old 02-23-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes. The YPAO and no I haven't tried that. Thank you.
Your problem is pretty common with, no offense, low end speaker systems. Sometimes it can be due to center channel placement. Is it in or on a shelf? How high is it? Maybe if you provide a picture of your system we can provide some suggestions.
Do you have all speakers set to small and xover set to 120?

post #3252 of 3623 Old 02-23-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

+10
You beat me to it Bond.
post #3253 of 3623 Old 02-23-2014, 02:03 PM

The Front left and right speakers are mounted to stands about 4-5 feet tall and on the side of the screen. The rear speakers are parallel to the viewer seated on the couch at the same height. The center speaker is placed in front of the tv upon the tv stand about 2-3 feet high and the subwoofer is about a few inches off the ground on the bottom shelf. Here's a photo:

post #3254 of 3623 Old 02-23-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I noticed those stands are adjustable. Lower all the speakers to head height when you are sitting at the listening position including center channel.
Angle the front speakers so that they are pointed directly at the listening position.
Pull the center channel forward on the shelf until it overhangs the shelf by 1". If you have to prop up the front or back of the center in order to angle it toward your head when sitting down.
After that rerun YPAO. Set all speakers to small and the 673 xover to 120.
Use the "Dialogue Adjust" feature in the Options menu to adjust the volume of the center if necessary.

post #3255 of 3623 Old 02-23-2014, 04:08 PM

I'll give that a shot! Thanks. Btw I sometimes get a polarity error on the YPAO test and have made triple sure my wiring is correct! Thanks again.
post #3256 of 3623 Old 02-23-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'll give that a shot! Thanks. Btw I sometimes get a polarity error on the YPAO test and have made triple sure my wiring is correct! Thanks again.
Thats fairly common. If its only 1 speaker and you checked it dont worry about it.

post #3257 of 3623 Old 02-24-2014, 12:51 PM

Liked: 10

Hi everyone

I have had the v673 for nearly a year. But now I have difficulties. It will not read all my usb sticks with Flac files. It is formatted to fat32. It has been "repaired" =update software. The shop just tell me to buy new usb stick, until I find one working... But a 128 GB cost more than 100 USD. My previus 128 gb was working perfect, until it died. 

Of couse I could use DLNA, but it is much slower than using the USB. The shop will not help me, and they refer to page 60 in the manual,saying not all usb sticks are working on the receiver. 

Do any of you experts have any idea what to do?

post #3258 of 3623 Old 02-24-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ospe2650 View Post

Hi everyone

I have had the v673 for nearly a year. But now I have difficulties. It will not read all my usb sticks with Flac files. It is formatted to fat32. It has been "repaired" =update software. The shop just tell me to buy new usb stick, until I find one working... But a 128 GB cost more than 100 USD. My previus 128 gb was working perfect, until it died. 

Of couse I could use DLNA, but it is much slower than using the USB. The shop will not help me, and they refer to page 60 in the manual,saying not all usb sticks are working on the receiver. 

Do any of you experts have any idea what to do?

Not sure why you think DNLA is slow. With the correct gear it will read 10Mb/sec which is more than fast enough for any file you can throw at it. 

When you are formatting these USB sticks, what allocation of unit size you formatting too ? 32Kb? , 64kb?

post #3259 of 3623 Old 02-24-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I would suggest that you check to make sure that the firmware the shop loaded is indeed the very latest one available from the Yamaha website. And it wouldn't be a bad idea either to temporarily save your FLAC files to a folder on your computer, then reformat the USB stick, then reload the files onto it. I hope you get things working soon. smile.gif
post #3260 of 3623 Old 02-24-2014, 05:23 PM

Hi all.  New subscriber here.  In May of 2013 I bought an RX-V673.  Everything works great except I am unable to connect to my network and internet. With DHCP on, the unit does not acquire an IP address. With DHCP off and an ip address and related information entered manually, there is still no connection. Firmware upgraded to 1.80. Verizon fios Actiontec router. Have done factory reset, swapped network cable with a working device on the same router, still resulting in no connection.  Even tried the YWA-10.  I see the YWA-10 on the network, but when I connect the receiver it still does not connect to the network.  I'm hoping someone out here will tell me they have a magic fix but I'm feeling it may be something hardware related, like a bad network port, and not software related.

post #3261 of 3623 Old 02-24-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK5406 View Post

Hi all.  New subscriber here.  In May of 2013 I bought an RX-V673.  Everything works great except I am unable to connect to my network and internet. With DHCP on, the unit does not acquire an IP address. With DHCP off and an ip address and related information entered manually, there is still no connection. Firmware upgraded to 1.80. Verizon fios Actiontec router. Have done factory reset, swapped network cable with a working device on the same router, still resulting in no connection.  Even tried the YWA-10.  I see the YWA-10 on the network, but when I connect the receiver it still does not connect to the network.  I'm hoping someone out here will tell me they have a magic fix but I'm feeling it may be something hardware related, like a bad network port, and not software related.

I have an Actiontec supplied by my ISP (I'm in Canada, so not Verizon). I had a lot of trouble with the network connection, too. It would be there, then it wouldn't. The Android app might work if I was lucky, but I ultimately had to enter an IP and hope DHCP didn't change it (it generally doesn't). Airplay was spotty--I'd have to turn network standby off then back on and maybe that would work.

Short story, I bought a Netgear, which I now run my wireless network from, and in 8 months the receiver hasn't not be there even once yet. The Actiontec takes care of my fiber TV, but I have it hardwired to the Netgear, to which everything else is connected, hardwired and wireless. My advice--ditch the Actiontec. Maybe borrow a router to see if that fixes your problem before buying.
post #3262 of 3623 Old 02-26-2014, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Just purchased the 673 and would like recommendation for inexpensive universal remote that would run this receiver.I tried using my RCA RCRP05B which Ive always had good luck with but the only Yamaha code that works allows the 673 to come on but not shut off and mute selection works but thats about it.

Matt
post #3263 of 3623 Old 02-26-2014, 05:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post

Just purchased the 673 and would like recommendation for inexpensive universal remote that would run this receiver.I tried using my RCA RCRP05B which Ive always had good luck with but the only Yamaha code that works allows the 673 to come on but not shut off and mute selection works but thats about it.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Remote-Control-Silver/dp/B004OVECU0/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

post #3264 of 3623 Old 02-26-2014, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Thanks

Matt
post #3265 of 3623 Old 02-26-2014, 06:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post

Thanks
Its not exactly inexpensive but its easy to program and can control all of your devices.

post #3266 of 3623 Old 02-26-2014, 07:14 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. Sound quality is now much improved!
post #3267 of 3623 Old 02-26-2014, 07:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the advice everyone. Sound quality is now much improved!
Good deal. Glad to hear it.

post #3268 of 3623 Old 02-27-2014, 03:51 AM

Liked: 11

Hi, I've just moved house & can no longer access Net Radio or Airplay on my Yamaha RX-673. 

The network connections are listed in Information/Netork correctly & the status is shown as connected. The radio channels are listed but when I select a station it's just shown as buffering.

Also, Airplay from iTunes is not working. The amp is shown as an output but when a song is selected the amp switches on but no sound comes from the speakers.

I now have a new service provider, BT (UK), could the the problem be with the hub, Hub 5, or is it a setup issue?

TIA

post #3269 of 3623 Old 02-27-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by petmar View Post

Hi, I've just moved house & can no longer access Net Radio or Airplay on my Yamaha RX-673. 

The network connections are listed in Information/Netork correctly & the status is shown as connected. The radio channels are listed but when I select a station it's just shown as buffering.

Also, Airplay from iTunes is not working. The amp is shown as an output but when a song is selected the amp switches on but no sound comes from the speakers.

I now have a new service provider, BT (UK), could the the problem be with the hub, Hub 5, or is it a setup issue?

TIA

I had this happen last month, and I didn't even move! I resolved it by downloading the very latest firmware for the unit, and after updating it I performed a full system reset (check the online manual for the correct procedure). I then set up the unit as I had originally, including the Net Radio, Pandora, and other settings.
post #3270 of 3623 Old 03-01-2014, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I just ran ypao. I have four tower speakers and three satellites and two subs. It set my crossover to 100hzand my towers to large. I reset my towers to small and My crossover to 80hz. But it also set my subs at minus 10. What should i reset my subs too? My subs are pb2000s.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V673 by PriceGrabber.com