The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 3471 Old 08-26-2012, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningman28 View Post

I have a htr 5660 which works fine but doesn't have hdmi. I use the opitical out with my blu ray. Im wondering is there a significant change in audio quality in this new model in playing music?

I can't compare the V673 to previous Yamaha AVRs re: music, but the 673 is certainly a good music performer. The upgrade to HDMI will also give you full HD audio output from your bluray. The optical cable doesn't output the full DTS HD-MA or Dobly TrueHD bitstream to the receiver, only HDMI is able to pass through the audio at the full resolution.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 3471 Old 08-26-2012, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
How does the V673 decide to use Dolby EX vs DTS ES for the surround back channel(s) for 5.1 sources? I know you set ES/EX in the Options, but how does it decide? It gave me Dolby EX for a DTS HD MA 5.1 track.. Should it not give me DTS ES? Help!
post #303 of 3471 Old 08-27-2012, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil-007 View Post

Hi,
I am just a real newbie with regards to these modern A/V Receivers. Mine is a 22 year old Sony that I want to dump and go with a Yamaha 671 but the 673 sounds a bit appealing. Here are my questions (any help would be greatly appreciated):
1. PANDORA: I DO NOT plan on hooking up my receiver and speakers to a TV. I am leaning towards the 671 since it has built-in Pandora. But how the heck can I play, say, "Born in the USA" by the Boss via the receiver if I cannot see a screen? I know on my laptop I can just go to Pandora.com, log in and type in "Bruce Springsteen" and I can play it on my laptop that way. But the receiver does not have a screen and how the heck do I type? By the way, I am too old for DLNA, AirPlay, etc., so I am not going to use (nor have) an iPhone/iPad, etc., nor do I want to sync my laptop to the network and connect to the receiver.
But I DO want to play internet radio, especially Pandora (which is why most likely I would not go with a 673 but buy a 671).
2. I noticed the 673 is only 90 watts whereas the 671 is 105 watts......so why the heck is an "improved" 673 down on power? Is this another reason I should NOT go with the 673?
Thanks!

Pretty much all of the set up options are done via on screen menus. I wouldn't recommend this receiver if you're not planning on hooking it up to a TV.
post #304 of 3471 Old 08-27-2012, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Two questions about this:

1) How do you update? I read the manual. It says that if an update is available it will be offered automatically. But is there no place to manually update it?

2) What if you are not on the internet? You should still be able to update the firmware. The manual says to download the update from their website, put it on an USB drive, and update that way. But I can't find ANY firmware to download on their site. Has anyone found where they keep their firmware files?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil-007 View Post

UPDATE........UPDATE....UPDATE!!!!
The local Video Only store here says they received a fax memo (to dealers) from Yamaha that PANDORA will be added with a firmware update sometime in 3rd week of August 2012..............

Dyslexics are teople poo.
post #305 of 3471 Old 08-28-2012, 12:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd View Post

1) How do you update? I read the manual. It says that if an update is available it will be offered automatically. But is there no place to manually update it?
2) What if you are not on the internet? You should still be able to update the firmware. The manual says to download the update from their website, put it on an USB drive, and update that way. But I can't find ANY firmware to download on their site. Has anyone found where they keep their firmware files?
Does anyone have Pandora on their 673 yet?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #306 of 3471 Old 08-28-2012, 05:36 AM

Quote:

I was wondering the same thing. I looked for manual update settings and found none. I imagine it just polls the Yamaha server daily or weekly for updates if it's connected to the network. I expect once the auto-updates start, the update will also be posted to the website for USB installs.

post #307 of 3471 Old 08-28-2012, 07:30 AM

Liked: 10
I am not much of an audiophile, never installed a 5.1 or 7.1 system for that matter. Waited so long for a future-proof receiver and finally bought it.

I would like zone 2 for bedroom. Do you think Polk Audio OWM3 has the necessary ratings for this receiver? I understand that there are several limitations on Zone 2 - no airplay, makes the system 5.1 when turned on.

Please suggest if Polk Audio OWM3 works with this receiver. My interests are 5.1 in the living room and zone 2 in the bedroom.
post #308 of 3471 Old 08-29-2012, 05:41 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
Those speakers should work fine as Zone 2 speakers. Airplay can pass to Zone 2 speakers on Denon AVRs so can likely do the same with the Yamaha as well.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #309 of 3471 Old 08-29-2012, 06:10 AM

Quote:

Has anyone found where they keep their firmware files?

According to the Yamaha press release...
http://usa.yamaha.com/news_events/audio_visual/yamaha_av_receiver_firmware_updates_provide_pandora_and_napster_music_services/

The downloads will be kept under the "Support" tab on the product page...
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v673_black_u/?mode=model

I'm not seeing any update... so perhaps it hasn't been released yet.

As possible confirmation, my recently shipped unit (connected to the net) says that it's current firmware is up to date; suggesting that there isn't an update yet available.
post #310 of 3471 Old 08-29-2012, 06:21 AM

Also regarding the firmware update...

According to the press release: "Yamaha Electronics Corporation today announced the latest firmware updates for selected AV receivers within their popular RX-V series..."

The key word there is "SELECTED." Currently, within the RX-V series, it appears to only be offered for the RX-V867. Perhaps it will be offered for the 673 - perhaps not.
post #311 of 3471 Old 08-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Need help again: I want to use the SOURCE OFF button on the left of the remote to turn off my TV. Not the tiny TV power button on the lower right. I got that tiny button to work, but any idea how to get the Source power button to work for a Samsung TV with code 0076?

Or even better, how can I turn off my TV and receiver at the same time using the receiver's power off button? I think I got it to work the other way around with HDMI-CEC settings (very confusing).
post #312 of 3471 Old 08-29-2012, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahobbes View Post

According to the press release: "Yamaha Electronics Corporation today announced the latest firmware updates for selected AV receivers within their popular RX-V series..."
The key word there is "SELECTED." Currently, within the RX-V series, it appears to only be offered for the RX-V867. Perhaps it will be offered for the 673 - perhaps not.

Well THAT'S a bummer frown.gif

Dyslexics are teople poo.
post #313 of 3471 Old 08-30-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

... how can I turn off my TV and receiver at the same time using the receiver's power off button? I think I got it to work the other way around with HDMI-CEC settings (very confusing).

I bit the bullet and purchased a new universal remote.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Universal-Remote-Touchscreen/dp/B002RL875A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346328061&sr=8-1&keywords=harmony+one

Setting it up was a breeze!... very intuitive.

You establish "activities"... such as - Watch TV. Then one button turns on/off the appropriate equipment; making the correct settings on the TV/AVR/Cable box.

Changing "activities" is as easy as pressing another button "Radio", for example. (TV/Cable turns off, ARV switched to tuner, Sound field changed, etc)

Turning off all of the equipment is, again, just one button.

So far, I'm pretty impressed.
post #314 of 3471 Old 08-30-2012, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:

That press release is over a year old and has nothing to do with the rumoured update for the 673. But so far I think it's just a rumour, so don't count on it.
post #315 of 3471 Old 08-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Universal-Remote-Touchscreen/dp/B002RL875A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346328061&sr=8-1&keywords=harmony+one
You establish "activities"... such as - Watch TV. Then one button turns on/off the appropriate equipment; making the correct settings on the TV/AVR/Cable box.
Changing "activities" is as easy as pressing another button "Radio", for example. (TV/Cable turns off, ARV switched to tuner, Sound field changed, etc)

Not an option for me. Logitech is too cheap to include a simple Bluetooth transmitter so it will work with the PS3 without an adapter.
Just want to be able to turn the TV and receiver on at the same time from the receiver remote using either 1 button, or the Source power button, not the TV power button.
post #316 of 3471 Old 08-30-2012, 11:24 PM

Just ordered the v673 with delivery on 9/9. This is my very first foray into HT receivers. Does anyone have recommendations on a set of speakers? - 7.1 since I will not be using the Zone 2 feature.

I was wondering if there were any "wireless" options, or if that's even recommended.

Thanks for a wonderful thread. I purchased this unit before I even found this thread. Now I'm very happy with the choice!

Not as lean
Not as mean
Still a Marine.
post #317 of 3471 Old 08-31-2012, 04:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Burns View Post

Just ordered the v673 with delivery on 9/9. This is my very first foray into HT receivers. Does anyone have recommendations on a set of speakers? - 7.1 since I will not be using the Zone 2 feature.
I was wondering if there were any "wireless" options, or if that's even recommended.
Thanks for a wonderful thread. I purchased this unit before I even found this thread. Now I'm very happy with the choice!
The obvious question would be how much are you willing to spend?

post #318 of 3471 Old 08-31-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Those speakers should work fine as Zone 2 speakers. Airplay can pass to Zone 2 speakers on Denon AVRs so can likely do the same with the Yamaha as well.

Can someone confirm this? Does Airplay pass to Zone 2?

One of the big selling points for me of it does.
post #319 of 3471 Old 08-31-2012, 07:00 AM

Yes, you can pass Airplay to zone 2. Page 74 of the manual has instructions for sending different audio sources to zone 2, and airplay is included.

You can't have the same source playing on zone 1 and zone 2 simultaneously, though. This is "party mode" and you need the V773 for this feature.

post #320 of 3471 Old 08-31-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

The obvious question would be how much are you willing to spend?
lol, biggrin.gif I actually anticipated this question and I did forget to mention my budget... since I was able to get the v673 for $325 (that includes Tax,S&H), I can budget ~$500 towards the speakers.

Not as lean
Not as mean
Still a Marine.
post #321 of 3471 Old 08-31-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:

lol, biggrin.gif I actually anticipated this question and I did forget to mention my budget... since I was able to get the v673 for $325 (that includes Tax,S&H), I can budget ~$500 towards the speakers.

Eep, that's a tight budget for a complete 7.1 system (including subwoofer, I assume)? I'd suggest getting a 5.1 system with an eye toward easy upgrades down the road. Check out the Definitive Technology ProCinema 400 ($600). You may find the sub to be underpowered for your larger room, but you can upgrade with a second sub or replace with a larger sub at any time. Also, you can easily get upgraded L/R/C satellites and convert the old L/R procinema satellites into your rear channels. When in doubt, spend extra on the sub and center channel.

That's a great price you got for the V673. You're likely to go through multiple speaker upgrades before you need to worry about getting a new AVR. Enjoy!

post #322 of 3471 Old 08-31-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-QUINTET-Speaker-System-Black/dp/B002HWRKA2/ref=sr_ob_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1346431652&sr=1-5. This is a great deal and are excellet speakers for the money. Get a BIC F12 475 watt sub for around $200 that will kill the Definitive sub and you are right at your $500 mark.http://www.amazon.com/BIC-AMERICA-DV-32B-Shielded-Speakers/dp/B00006JPDF/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1346433676&sr=1-7&keywords=bic+speakers+pair. Just ran across these. These are well matched to the Klipsch and would do very well for back or prescence speakers. 7.1 for $550.

post #323 of 3471 Old 08-31-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:

I've been using Harmony remotes for years, convenience can't be beat...

Here's a great deal....

Logitech has the refurbished Logitech Harmony One Advanced Universal Remote Control for $130 - $40 off with coupon code logi_h1_83112 [Exp 9/3] = $90 with free shipping. Features color touchscreen, backlit buttons and rechargeable battery.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/promotional-items/7193?WT.mc_id=amr_affiliate_cj_us&ci=0

Cheers! Big Rich
post #324 of 3471 Old 08-31-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothlike View Post

I've been using Harmony remotes for years, convenience can't be beat...
Here's a great deal....
Logitech has the refurbished Logitech Harmony One Advanced Universal Remote Control for $130 - $40 off with coupon code logi_h1_83112 [Exp 9/3] = $90 with free shipping. Features color touchscreen, backlit buttons and rechargeable battery.
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/promotional-items/7193?WT.mc_id=amr_affiliate_cj_us&ci=0
For $10 more you can get it brand new at Amazon or depending on how many devices you have you can save $60 and get the 700. The 650 is fine with me. Logitech is basically charging $40 for the rechargable battery. For $40 and can get enough batteries to last longer than the remote will.

post #325 of 3471 Old 08-31-2012, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-QUINTET-Speaker-System-Black/dp/B002HWRKA2/ref=sr_ob_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1346431652&sr=1-5. This is a great deal and are excellet speakers for the money. Get a BIC F12 475 watt sub for around $200 that will kill the Definitive sub and you are right at your $500 mark.http://www.amazon.com/BIC-AMERICA-DV-32B-Shielded-Speakers/dp/B00006JPDF/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1346433676&sr=1-7&keywords=bic+speakers+pair. Just ran across these. These are well matched to the Klipsch and would do very well for back or prescence speakers. 7.1 for $550.

The BIC F12 is terrible advice, esepcially for those small speakers. Much better is the Energy ESW-M8. I actually auditioned both these subs in my house with a small matched mains and satellite 6.1 system on this receiver. The F12 is a muddy mess, and all it has going for it is volume. The ESW-M8 can be plenty loud for a living room, but the sound quality is leagues better and better matched to small speakers. The BIC F12 is a boomy and bloated sounding. The Energy is super tight and nuanced. Way better for music, and even for movies unless you like to play your movies at volumes that rattle every wall in your house. Btw, Energy is owned by Klipsch. The ESW-M8 is only $100 more than the BIC F12. But it sounds like $500 more.
post #326 of 3471 Old 09-01-2012, 02:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

The BIC F12 is terrible advice, esepcially for those small speakers. Much better is the Energy ESW-M8. I actually auditioned both these subs in my house with a small matched mains and satellite 6.1 system on this receiver. The F12 is a muddy mess, and all it has going for it is volume. The ESW-M8 can be plenty loud for a living room, but the sound quality is leagues better and better matched to small speakers. The BIC F12 is a boomy and bloated sounding. The Energy is super tight and nuanced. Way better for music, and even for movies unless you like to play your movies at volumes that rattle every wall in your house. Btw, Energy is owned by Klipsch. The ESW-M8 is only $100 more than the BIC F12. But it sounds like $500 more.
I dont know about terrible advice. What you say about the ESW-M8 may be true. I never said the F12 was an awesome sub but I own it and it suits me just fine along with about 200 other people who have bought it from Amazon. Definitely cant beat it for $200. I was trying to keep him at his stated ~$500 budget and that would put him at $650. If he wants to spend $650-$700 then there are plenty of other options. Personally I would still get the F12 and get some front towers instead of satellites. I prefer to spend my money above 100hz. Whatever the case may be, you are not going to get some kind of outstanding 7.1 setup for around $500. BTW, did you ever get that button on your remote control to work?

post #327 of 3471 Old 09-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

No... I'm still confused about the Source power button and what exactly it is supposed to turn off. I was only able to get the TV to turn off using the tiny and badly placed TV power button the receiver remote (lower right).
post #328 of 3471 Old 09-01-2012, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

What are people's thoughts on these:
Onkyo SKS-HT870 Home Theater Speaker System
Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker System

Not as lean
Not as mean
Still a Marine.
post #329 of 3471 Old 09-01-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:

For $10 more you can get it brand new at Amazon or depending on how many devices you have you can save $60 and get the 700. The 650 is fine with me. Logitech is basically charging $40 for the rechargable battery. For $40 and can get enough batteries to last longer than the remote will.

My last Harmony remote had no rechargeable battery and it was a pain to have to change batteries so often. Of course that was before I knew about the Samsung Interloop rechargeable AA batteries. I have a Harmony 880 currently and love it, will not be using a Harmony that is non-rechargeable going forward. Too convenient to just place the remote in its cradle.

Rich

Cheers! Big Rich
post #330 of 3471 Old 09-01-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions.
What are people's thoughts on these:
Onkyo SKS-HT870 Home Theater Speaker System
Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker System
Cant beat the price. Ive never known anyone to get Onkyo speakers but they have good reviews.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page