The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 111 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3301 of 3486 Old 03-11-2014, 06:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncube2 View Post

Does this avr come with a PreAmp, if i want to add an Amplifier to my setup later. If so is it Discrete ?
TIA
No

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3302 of 3486 Old 03-14-2014, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wondering if I could get help with speaker selection for my v673. I have had the AV receiver for over a year and absolutely love it. I use it for music and movies almost 50-50 and have only 2 speakers hooked up to it, do to having a small apartment, and these are 15 year old Bose bookshelf speakers. So now i'm trying to buy a new pair of bookshelf speakers and have been looking at these: Monitor Audio BX2, Dali Zensor 3 or DynAudio DM 2/6. Now.... i live in scandinavia and do not have the opportunity to test listen to any of these due to the fact that I do not live near any big city that has a shop with these speakers. I've only gone by price i can spend and reviews around the net. I'v heard the BX2's are super speakers and so are the new Dali Zensor 3's and that the DynAudio's are awesome but need a powerful amp to push the best from them. The only reason I put them in the picture is that there is a netshop selling a demo pair for the same price of the BX2's and Zensors. Now here i can get new BX2's for $490, new Zensor 3's for $575 and the demo DynAudio's for $490 ( $740 new).....was just wondering which work best with the V673....any help would be greatly appreciated
post #3303 of 3486 Old 03-14-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I found this review, which might help you along in making your decision:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/Monitor-Audio-Bronze-BX-2-2-Way-Bookshelf-Speakers/productinfo/MRBBX2/#.UyMyjPldUlI

I had my 673 connected to Sony tower speakers in a 5.1 configuration. Had to keep the volume low or my neighbors would call the police. tongue.gif
post #3304 of 3486 Old 03-14-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrig View Post

You don't just want to use Direct pass-through? If your DVD player (or whatever) video output works with the wireless HDMI now, then it will still work with the receiver in the signal path.

Currently, my Blu Ray player does not work well with the wireless HDMI unit now. If I set 1080p/24hz in the Blu Ray player, once it tries to make the connection to the wireless HDMI and switch back to 1080i. If the Yamaha receiver can pass through the Blu Ray player's signal as is (and not to make the player go back to 1080i), the wireless HDMI might work.
post #3305 of 3486 Old 03-14-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

As you are aware, the 673 is compatible with 1080pm signals at 24Hz, 50Hz, and 60Hz. If, as "bigrig" pointed out, you set the HDMI video output to DIRECT, then whatever input signal the AVR receives is exactly what it will pass on to your transmitter. The problem you experienced with your LG Blu-Ray player may be isolated to just that particular model or brand. Would it be possible for you to try with a different Blu-Ray player? I don't understand why the LG failed to establish a connection with the player, but I find it odd that it would reset the resolution back to 1080i.

Yes, I also think odd that the LG BD630 does not hold the signal to 1080p/24hz, I think it might be problem of the Philips wireless HDMI unit. If the Yamaha receive can hold the signal from the LG Blu Ray player well and pass it to the wireless HDMI as it, then everything might work fine. I just wanted to know if the Yamaha receiver is capable of fixing the output signal fixed to 1080p/24hz.

Thanks for your help.
post #3306 of 3486 Old 03-14-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryp107 View Post

Just wondering if I could get help with speaker selection for my v673. I have had the AV receiver for over a year and absolutely love it. I use it for music and movies almost 50-50 and have only 2 speakers hooked up to it, do to having a small apartment, and these are 15 year old Bose bookshelf speakers. So now i'm trying to buy a new pair of bookshelf speakers and have been looking at these: Monitor Audio BX2, Dali Zensor 3 or DynAudio DM 2/6. Now.... i live in scandinavia and do not have the opportunity to test listen to any of these due to the fact that I do not live near any big city that has a shop with these speakers. I've only gone by price i can spend and reviews around the net. I'v heard the BX2's are super speakers and so are the new Dali Zensor 3's and that the DynAudio's are awesome but need a powerful amp to push the best from them. The only reason I put them in the picture is that there is a netshop selling a demo pair for the same price of the BX2's and Zensors. Now here i can get new BX2's for $490, new Zensor 3's for $575 and the demo DynAudio's for $490 ( $740 new).....was just wondering which work best with the V673....any help would be greatly appreciated
Can you post links for these speakers?

post #3307 of 3486 Old 03-14-2014, 03:03 PM

post #3308 of 3486 Old 03-14-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Those are all nice speakers. All the specs look pretty standard. A couple pair are 6 Ohm but thats ok especially since you are only running 2 channel. The 673 will have no problems driving any of them so its just a matter of which ones you like the most.
gerryp107 likes this.

post #3309 of 3486 Old 03-15-2014, 01:56 AM

Thanks for the reply. From reviews i've read online they all get great reviews....i'm hoping i can get feedback from someone who has actually heard the speakers or has the speakers with the V673. The Dynaudio seem like the best buy...
post #3310 of 3486 Old 03-15-2014, 05:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryp107 View Post

Thanks for the reply. From reviews i've read online they all get great reviews....i'm hoping i can get feedback from someone who has actually heard the speakers or has the speakers with the V673. The Dynaudio seem like the best buy...
Have you searched in the "Speakers" forum to see if there are any owners threads for those speakers? Its very unlikely you'll find someone who has that speaker/receiver combo.

post #3311 of 3486 Old 03-16-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #3312 of 3486 Old 03-18-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I could not get any responses from posting the following questions in the front page so I though I post here as I may consider on of these Yamaha receivers in the near future. Below is what I posted before.
Any help appreciated. BTW, AVR would be hardwired to my home network. TIA

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Is it possible to stream Google Play All Access to an AVR from a phone?

I want to setup a new room with 2 zones. One room will be 5.1 and will wire 2 other rooms for zone 2. I think I need at minimum a 7.1. Does that sound right?

Would the AVR be able to play independent (i.e music in zone 2) and 5.1 in main at the same time?

Also would like to stream this APP in particular. I am guessing my ideal usage may look something like this:

launch avr app on phone (turn on avr/ adjust volume/ change input)
launch Google Play All access in phone
Have music heard on Zone2

Is this possible? And if so what feature should I be looking for? Thanks in advance.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
post #3313 of 3486 Old 03-19-2014, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucuy View Post

I could not get any responses from posting the following questions in the front page so I though I post here as I may consider on of these Yamaha receivers in the near future. Below is what I posted before.
Any help appreciated. BTW, AVR would be hardwired to my home network. TIA

Is it possible to stream Google Play All Access to an AVR from a phone?

I want to setup a new room with 2 zones. One room will be 5.1 and will wire 2 other rooms for zone 2. I think I need at minimum a 7.1. Does that sound right?

Would the AVR be able to play independent (i.e music in zone 2) and 5.1 in main at the same time?

Also would like to stream this APP in particular. I am guessing my ideal usage may look something like this:

launch avr app on phone (turn on avr/ adjust volume/ change input)
launch Google Play All access in phone
Have music heard on Zone2

Is this possible? And if so what feature should I be looking for? Thanks in advance.

The receiver doesn't really stream from apps on the phone - you could do it with a bluetooth audio connection. The Yamaha app on the phone just controls the apps built-in to the receiver: Pandora, Net Radio, Server, Rhapsody, Sirius, etc. You can have different sources playing in each zone.

"It's an invention, and it makes Non-Stop Rocking possible!"
post #3314 of 3486 Old 03-19-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

The receiver doesn't really stream from apps on the phone - you could do it with a bluetooth audio connection. The Yamaha app on the phone just controls the apps built-in to the receiver: Pandora, Net Radio, Server, Rhapsody, Sirius, etc. You can have different sources playing in each zone.

Thanks for the help. Problem with Bluetooth is distance between rooms and walls in between. I am looking for a wifi solution so maybe a chromecast plugged in a hdmi port in the AVR may work.

Now need to read more about the chromecast now. biggrin.gif
post #3315 of 3486 Old 03-19-2014, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

I am confused. It looks like it could stream apps a phone in 2011. Or am I misinterpreting the press release below.

http://au.yamaha.com/en/news_events/audio-visual/music-play/
post #3316 of 3486 Old 03-19-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It doesnt say you can stream from apps on your phone. It says you can stream content from portable devices using the Yamaha App. Sounds to me like if you have songs downloaded and saved on your phone you can stream them. But you cant stream using the Google Play All Access App.

post #3317 of 3486 Old 03-21-2014, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

It doesnt say you can stream from apps on your phone. It says you can stream content from portable devices using the Yamaha App. Sounds to me like if you have songs downloaded and saved on your phone you can stream them. But you cant stream using the Google Play All Access App.

Got it. I guess the part that mentions internet streams refers to the receiver itself not the ios or android app.
post #3318 of 3486 Old 03-21-2014, 08:07 PM

I have a RX-V675BL, but I only use a 5.1 set up. I have 2 questions. 1. Does using 7.2 channel stereo mode output sound to two channels I'm not using and thus distort the intended sound?

My other question is if it's possible to output sound through optical or analog audio? I have wireless headphones that I wanted to try to use while listening to music on airplay. The headphones' base only accepts an optical or analog input. One thing I did notice with this receiver, was that you can't use an analog audio source and use a digital video source as the background. For instance, I was listening to my record player and I couldn't watch tv in the background like I can when I'm using Airplay mode.

post #3319 of 3486 Old 03-21-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by writtensarcasm View Post

I have a RX-V675BL, but I only use a 5.1 set up. I have 2 questions. 1. Does using 7.2 channel stereo mode output sound to two channels I'm not using and thus distort the intended sound?

My other question is if it's possible to output sound through optical or analog audio? I have wireless headphones that I wanted to try to use while listening to music on airplay. The headphones' base only accepts an optical or analog input. One thing I did notice with this receiver, was that you can't use an analog audio source and use a digital video source as the background. For instance, I was listening to my record player and I couldn't watch tv in the background like I can when I'm using Airplay mode.

I dont really understand the headphone question.
The receiver knows that you are only using a 5.1 setup so you are not missing anything when listening in 7 channel stereo.
This is the 75 series thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465259/yamaha-rx-v-75-series-owners-thread/840#post_24511415

post #3320 of 3486 Old 03-21-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:

I dont really understand the headphone question.
The receiver knows that you are only using a 5.1 setup so you are not missing anything when listening in 7 channel stereo.
This is the 75 series thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465259/yamaha-rx-v-75-series-owners-thread/840#post_24511415

Thank you. I tried searching for the thread but couldn't find it. I have Astro A50 headphones. I'm trying to output the receiver to them, so that I can listen to music or whatever I'm doing on the receiver. These headphones require their base to be fed an optical signal or an analog audio signal. The base emits the wireless signal to the headphones.

post #3321 of 3486 Old 03-21-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thank you. I tried searching for the thread but couldn't find it. I have Astro A50 headphones. I'm trying to output the receiver to them, so that I can listen to music or whatever I'm doing on the receiver. These headphones require their base to be fed an optical signal or an analog audio signal. The base emits the wireless signal to the headphones.
All I can suggest is to hook them up via optical and see if it works.

post #3322 of 3486 Old 03-21-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:

All I can suggest is to hook them up via optical and see if it works.

How can you output via optical though with these receivers? I don't see a jack in the back of the receiver for outputting optical audio.

post #3323 of 3486 Old 03-21-2014, 08:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

How can you output via optical though with these receivers? I don't see a jack in the back of the receiver for outputting optical audio.
Thats a great point. Sorry. It wont work because optical is strictly an input.

post #3324 of 3486 Old 03-23-2014, 02:28 PM

Liked: 25
Having a hard time playing music thru my usb from my phone. Tried my RAZR max first and it didn't even recognize it. Then tried my girls i phone and it recognized it but wouldn't play.
post #3325 of 3486 Old 03-23-2014, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyman View Post

Having a hard time playing music thru my usb from my phone. Tried my RAZR max first and it didn't even recognize it. Then tried my girls i phone and it recognized it but wouldn't play.
Do it wireless, with the app!

"It's an invention, and it makes Non-Stop Rocking possible!"
post #3326 of 3486 Old 03-24-2014, 04:27 AM

Quote:

Do it wireless, with the app!
Its just a demo. Will it work?
post #3327 of 3486 Old 03-24-2014, 04:28 AM

I'm trying to play videos on YouTube from my phone.
post #3328 of 3486 Old 03-26-2014, 12:16 AM

Yamaha RX-V673 Zone 2 Subwoofer with 2 Channel Speakers
A simple question for the experienced folks: Just got the Yamaha RX-V673 and already have a Polk PSW10 powered sub with the usual inputs/outputs,( ie, subout, 2 channel, full range). Tried a net search but no luck on this - Can I use the Zone 2 terminals from the receiver to the sub and then use sub terminals out for Polk Atrium 60’s. The Atrium’s are 8 ohm. Any concerns with this configuration? Will this strain the receiver? Many Thanks
post #3329 of 3486 Old 03-26-2014, 04:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niex View Post

Yamaha RX-V673 Zone 2 Subwoofer with 2 Channel Speakers
A simple question for the experienced folks: Just got the Yamaha RX-V673 and already have a Polk PSW10 powered sub with the usual inputs/outputs,( ie, subout, 2 channel, full range). Tried a net search but no luck on this - Can I use the Zone 2 terminals from the receiver to the sub and then use sub terminals out for Polk Atrium 60’s. The Atrium’s are 8 ohm. Any concerns with this configuration? Will this strain the receiver? Many Thanks
No I dont think you can. Are the Polks powered speakers? Do they have RCA inputs? So youre wanting the 673 to power your sub? The sub preouts dont carry a full signal.
Question is why in the world would you want to hook it up that way?

post #3330 of 3486 Old 03-26-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:

No I dont think you can. Are the Polks powered speakers? Do they have RCA inputs? So youre wanting the 673 to power your sub? The sub preouts dont carry a full signal.
Question is why in the world would you want to hook it up that way?

Well I guess I didn’t make myself clear. Zone 1 will be setup as a 5.1 configuration with Zone 2 for audio music only (Pandora, cd’s, ipod, etc). I know in Zone 2 I can use 2 speakers for 2 channels but I was hoping I could use the sub for the extra base kick. I know the 2 sub outs are dedicated to Zone 1 that's why I want to route the Zone 2 terminals first to the sub then have the speakers off the powered sub for a 2.1 configuration. Many Thanks for your quick answer.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V673 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page