The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 112 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3331 of 3492 Old 03-26-2014, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I recently bought the Energy Take Classic 5.1 speaker set and installed it last night. The Energy manual specifically says to set AVR speaker size to small. YPAO however wants to set the front channels and center channels as small, but the rear channels (which are the exact same speakers as front) to large.

I thought maybe YPAO was just picking up on the fact that the rears are so much closer than the fronts, but that theory went out the window when I realized the previous speakers were in the exact same positions, but YPAO correctly identified those rears as small.

So, two questions:
1) Should I follow the Energy manual strictly and set all of the speaker sizes to small, or should I trust in Yamaha's YPAO and leave the rears as large?
2) Does anyone know what exact effect that changing the small/large parameter causes? I have experimented of course, by listening to the same content with them set to large and then again to small, but I cannot hear a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 3492 Old 03-26-2014, 05:43 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 1495
^^
You generally never want to set little tiny speakers like the Take 5's to LARGE. Set them all to SMALL.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3333 of 3492 Old 03-26-2014, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post

2) Does anyone know what exact effect that changing the small/large parameter causes? I have experimented of course, by listening to the same content with them set to large and then again to small, but I cannot hear a difference.

It changes the low frequency cut-off, I would guess. You don't hear a difference because the small speaker can't produce the low frequencies.

"It's an invention, and it makes Non-Stop Rocking possible!"
post #3334 of 3492 Old 03-27-2014, 09:45 AM

Thanks for the advice, I've overridden YPAO and set the rears to small.
post #3335 of 3492 Old 03-29-2014, 07:22 PM

A quick introduction--I bought the 673 "used, like new" from Amazon Warehouse Deals a few weeks ago. Have it set up now with Energy Take Classic 5.1. On the AVR I mostly watch movies, but do occasionally listen to music via Airplay.

I've been reading this thread through front to back, and I'm about halfway through now.

I've noticed some people have speculated that there is a workaround to not having party mode in the 673, by connecting two outputs from the source to the AVR (such as HDMI + optical) and setting zone two to the second output. There was also speculation that even if this worked, there might be "echo" due to timing differences in the two outputs, and that would have to be adjusted for. I never did see anyone report that they tried this (although again, I'm only about half way through the thread), so I'd experimented myself and can report.

I connected an AppleTV to HDMI3 (HDMI) and AV1 (optical). I verified that the AppleTV outputs digital audio from both ports simultaneously by switching Zone1 between HDMI3 and AV1. No problem there.

However, I cannot set both Zone 1 and 2 to digital sources simultaneously. In other words, when Zone 1 is set to HDMI3, Zone 2 can only be set to analog inputs. It will not allow me to select any digital input.

I do happen to have a digital to analog audio converter. It accepts optical or coax digital audio, and decodes/converts it to stereo analog out. It is powered by USB, which fortunately the 673 provides at the rear. So I can hide the mess behind the AVR. I hooked this adapter up to AUDIO 1 and set the AVR Zone 1 to HDMI3 and Zone 2 to AV5.

There is good news and bad. Audio (and video) play fine in Zone 1. Audio plays fine in Zone 2. The problem is that indeed there is a slight delay between the two outputs (about a quarter of a second) and so there's an odd effect if you are in an area where you can hear both zones. Strangely, even though the analog audio in Zone 2 is going through a separate D/A converter, it is ahead of the digital a/v in Zone 1.

No problem I though, I'll just set a lip synch delay on AV5 of 250ms and they'll match up perfectly. However, I did this and can only report partial success. With the delay the audio in Zone 2 matches the video in Zone 1 perfectly (which won't matter to those using party mode for audio only), but the problem is that the lip synch setting I made applied to both AV5 and HDMI3, so the audio between zones was still out of synch. I'm assuming now that lip synch must apply to all inputs equally and cannot be set individually.

So the bottom line is you can do party mode with digital inputs provided you convert one of your digital inputs to analog, but the sources will be timed differently. Not a problem if your zones are separated by enough distance, but if you can hear both zones it will be annoying. In my case the two zones are close together, and the effect is unacceptable.

I realize this model is a few years old now and the thread is probably dying, but I thought I would chip in, just in case someone does a search it might be helpful to them.
post #3336 of 3492 Old 03-30-2014, 10:06 AM

Liked: 10

hi.

I have this receiver and i want to know if it is possible by any way to screen mirror my computer screen on my TV with that ?

My Receiver is wired connected with my PC, i don't have Apple TV neither chromecast or whatsoever.

Thank you if you can help me with that.

post #3337 of 3492 Old 03-30-2014, 11:07 AM

Yes just connect the PC directly with an HDMI cable.

If you mean mirroring over a network, no, you will need additional hardware.
post #3338 of 3492 Old 03-30-2014, 11:35 AM

okay, i meant "over the network mirroring" i don't want to connect a cable from my pc to my receiver. Well, thank you for your help :)

post #3339 of 3492 Old 03-30-2014, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have two subs hooked up to my rx v673. When both are hooked up and i run ypao one sub sounds like a Mic tap only even the other sub is hooked up. When iturn off the other sub no issues. This sound like a receiver issue or sub issue? I'm confused to say the least.
post #3340 of 3492 Old 03-30-2014, 01:02 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyman View Post

I have two subs hooked up to my rx v673. When both are hooked up and i run ypao one sub sounds like a Mic tap only even the other sub is hooked up. When iturn off the other sub no issues. This sound like a receiver issue or sub issue? I'm confused to say the least.
and when the other sub is hooked up it'll just thunder at random. Even when it's not hooked up to the receiver. I know that subs messed up. Getting a new amp shipped to me for both subs hoping it'll fix t the problem but not sure if the rxv673 had anything to do with it. Btw both subs are svspb2000s
post #3341 of 3492 Old 03-30-2014, 08:10 PM

Since the Receiver only has 2 Optic inputs, how do I go about connecting a 3rd device?

I used to be Nervous & Jerky, I'm not Nervous anymore.

post #3342 of 3492 Old 03-31-2014, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 130
^^ If one of your devices has a digital coax output, use it instead. Or, get an optical to coax converter.
post #3343 of 3492 Old 04-01-2014, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioman1 View Post

Since the Receiver only has 2 Optic inputs, how do I go about connecting a 3rd device?
HDMI?

"It's an invention, and it makes Non-Stop Rocking possible!"
post #3344 of 3492 Old 04-01-2014, 06:06 PM

Hi,

I am after a little help please.

When I first got my amp I set it up so the that I could you the SKY remote control to turn my on Panasonic TX-P50GT60 tv and the amp would automatically come on too. Also the SKY remote would control the amp volume displaying the volume on screen. This was great because when just general tv watching with SKY I only needed one remote.

The other week I was playing around with the sound and switched it so the volume control on the SKY remote controlled the tv volume. (stupid I know but I wanted to check something)

Now, I am trying to get it back to how it was before. I have tried to use the instructions in the manual but I cannot get it work. I have used a code which I found on the interweb and while it does control the sound it does not turn on the amp when I turn on the telly using the SKY remote.

Any help from you guys would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Mark.

post #3345 of 3492 Old 04-02-2014, 03:09 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hi,

I am after a little help please.

When I first got my amp I set it up so the that I could you the SKY remote control to turn my on Panasonic TX-P50GT60 tv and the amp would automatically come on too. Also the SKY remote would control the amp volume displaying the volume on screen. This was great because when just general tv watching with SKY I only needed one remote.

The other week I was playing around with the sound and switched it so the volume control on the SKY remote controlled the tv volume. (stupid I know but I wanted to check something)

Now, I am trying to get it back to how it was before. I have tried to use the instructions in the manual but I cannot get it work. I have used a code which I found on the interweb and while it does control the sound it does not turn on the amp when I turn on the telly using the SKY remote.

Any help from you guys would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Mark.

Hi,

select Viera Tools on your Panasonic remote, go into Viera Link and set speaker selection to Home Cinema.

All sorts of things reset the speaker selection to TV so I find I'm often resetting this.

Peter

Cashy likes this.
post #3346 of 3492 Old 04-02-2014, 08:41 AM

How would I connect this sub to the V673?

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-SUB-800-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B0063NU30K/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3347 of 3492 Old 04-02-2014, 09:07 AM

Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman2001 View Post

How would I connect this sub to the V673?

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-SUB-800-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B0063NU30K/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Connect the AVR sub-out to the line level R input, and turn the crossover to the max (let the AVR handle the crossover). Leave the phase at zero, and let YPAO take care of that, too (it may set the distance different from the actual distance--leave it at what it sets). You may have to play around with the gain when you run YPAO to get it at the right level.

In case you don't have it, here is the sub manual: http://www.daytonaudio.com/media/resources/300-627-parts-express-manual.pdf
post #3348 of 3492 Old 04-02-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petmar View Post

Hi,
select Viera Tools on your Panasonic remote, go into Viera Link and set speaker selection to Home Cinema.

All sorts of things reset the speaker selection to TV so I find I'm often resetting this.

Peter

Thank you so much Peter that worked like a charm.

Just one other quick question. If you don't mind.
How do I get it so the volume level is displayed on screen like it used before. I know it must be a setting somewhere because if use my ps3 on a different hdmi input it does display.

Thanks again,
Mark
post #3349 of 3492 Old 04-02-2014, 05:09 PM

My subwoofer is not working with stereo content.

It seems to work OK if my media has a 5.1 track. I set all speakers to small and crossover to 80. I have the jbl pb12 crossover all the way up 150 to let avr manage. Its Plugged into L and selected lfe. Manual indicates sub cross over switch is disables in life mode anyway. Sub is set to +1.0 after the yoah thing dialed it negative.

I looked in the manual. I tried setting my fronts to large and turning on extra bass. No dice.

I tried upping decibel of sub to +10. Test tone won't work on sub. Toss in a blu-ray with 5.1 and boom goes the sub.

Thanks,
Prodeje
post #3350 of 3492 Old 04-02-2014, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Fronts = LARGE (fronts play full range signal)
Extra Bass = OFF (sub only plays LFE (0.1))

Fronts = LARGE (fronts play full range signal)
Extra Bass = ON (sub plays fronts lower frequencies < crossover + LFE (0.1)

Fronts = SMALL (fronts only play down to crossover and below that sent to the sub)
Extra Bass = OFF (extra bass doesn't apply as the front lower frequencies are already sent to the sub which is why it's auto set to OFF)

The only time you would likely want to use the Extra Bass setting is if you prefer to listen to 2.0 music (ie. no LFE track) in STEREO with the front speakers set to full range (LARGE), but as the music has no LFE, the sub would be silent, so if you want audio from the sub in addition to the front mains, you would use the Extra Bass setting.

From jdsmoothie
post #3351 of 3492 Old 04-03-2014, 03:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

Quote:

Hi, I've just moved house & can no longer access Net Radio or Airplay on my Yamaha RX-673. 

The network connections are listed in Information/Netork correctly & the status is shown as connected. The radio channels are listed but when I select a station it's just shown as buffering.

Also, Airplay from iTunes is not working. The amp is shown as an output but when a song is selected the amp switches on but no sound comes from the speakers.

I now have a new service provider, BT (UK), could the the problem be with the hub, Hub 5, or is it a setup issue?

TIA

I had this happen last month, and I didn't even move! I resolved it by downloading the very latest firmware for the unit, and after updating it I performed a full system reset (check the online manual for the correct procedure). I then set up the unit as I had originally, including the Net Radio, Pandora, and other settings.

Thx for the reply. Solved the net radio problem by logging onto the vTuner web site !!! How that solved the issue I don't know. Don't you just love computers :-)

I'm guessing the Airplay problem is down to iTunes.

Update: Nothing to do with vTuner. I had unplugged the power bar which switched off the amp resetting it. Having to do this alot!!!

post #3352 of 3492 Old 04-03-2014, 03:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:

Update: Nothing to do with vTuner. I had unplugged the power bar which switched off the amp resetting it. Having to do this alot!!!
Why? Please explain.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #3353 of 3492 Old 04-03-2014, 04:51 PM

i have 2 little newb questions, i would like to know if there's a way that i could play only the center speaker, like if it was a sound bar? And my other question is, what's the difference on Large and Small in the speakers setting ? I have Polk Audio RM6750 in a small room i tried both and i don't see difference, maybe on long term, don't know but still ... it's on Large setting by now

post #3354 of 3492 Old 04-03-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliegreen View Post

i have 2 little newb questions, i would like to know if there's a way that i could play only the center speaker, like if it was a sound bar? And my other question is, what's the difference on Large and Small in the speakers setting ? I have Polk Audio RM6750 in a small room i tried both and i don't see difference, maybe on long term, don't know but still ... it's on Large setting by now
There is no way to use the center only.
Large and small is explained in the owners manual. With your setup you will want to use Small for all speakers.

post #3355 of 3492 Old 04-03-2014, 06:36 PM

okay, i'll try to put them on small.. i didn't saw difference, but maybe if i try low frequency music i'll see a difference. I think that's how i understood this on the owner manual ..

Thank you for the answers :)

post #3356 of 3492 Old 04-04-2014, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashy View Post

Quote:

Hi,

Peter

Thank you so much Peter that worked like a charm.

Just one other quick question. If you don't mind.
How do I get it so the volume level is displayed on screen like it used before. I know it must be a setting somewhere because if use my ps3 on a different hdmi input it does display.

Thanks again,
Mark

Sorry Mark can't help you with that one. A bar showing the Home Cinema Volume + or - appears at the bottom of the screen using my Panasonic remote. Peter

post #3357 of 3492 Old 04-04-2014, 02:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If Video Processing is set to "Processing" the volume will not be displayed. Also, "Short Message" must be on for the volume to be displayed.

post #3358 of 3492 Old 04-04-2014, 02:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Question about the plotted graphs, is that before or after PEQ auto adustment?

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #3359 of 3492 Old 04-04-2014, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Quote:

Why? Please explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Quote:

Why? Please explain.

The amp network connection "freezes" quite often which means I can't access Network Radio, Napster or my NAS, Sometimes just 1 function is unavailable other times 2 or all 3. I can't identify a specific cause, it seems random. The only solution I can find is to unplug the amp, wait a few minutes then reconnect. Grateful for any any ideas re cause.

Anyone know a way of resetting the amp without unplugging?

I'm going to email Yamaha & will post their reply.

Peter

post #3360 of 3492 Old 04-04-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The amp network connection "freezes" quite often which means I can't access Network Radio, Napster or my NAS, Sometimes just 1 function is unavailable other times 2 or all 3. I can't identify a specific cause, it seems random. The only solution I can find is to unplug the amp, wait a few minutes then reconnect. Grateful for any any ideas re cause.

Anyone know a way of resetting the amp without unplugging?

I'm going to email Yamaha & will post their reply.

Peter
Does something specific happen every time it freezes? Does it display "access error"? Are you wired or wireless? Have you tried resetting the router? Have you tried a static ip address?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V673 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page