The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 115 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3421 of 3482 Old 04-30-2014, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Im not sure but I dont think theres any difference. As you noted Trim is easier access. The reason I suggested he go to 0 in the main sub volume is it will give him more "play" in the trim option. He already has it at +5 out of +6.

My ears likely can't tell any difference anyway. I adjust my sub volume before running YPAO so that it sets the sub low, then I boost the level manually to around 0 because I like it a little hot compared to what YPAO sets it at (which seems very low). Then I sometimes play around with it, depending on what I'm listening to. I should probably just leave the main level at 0 and toy with the trim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 3482 Old 04-30-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post

My ears likely can't tell any difference anyway. I adjust my sub volume before running YPAO so that it sets the sub low, then I boost the level manually to around 0 because I like it a little hot compared to what YPAO sets it at (which seems very low). Then I sometimes play around with it, depending on what I'm listening to. I should probably just leave the main level at 0 and toy with the trim.
Thats fine as long as YPAO isnt setting the sub super low. If YPAO is setting the sub at -10 then you should rerun YPAO. But I imagine you know that.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #3423 of 3482 Old 04-30-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:

Thats fine as long as YPAO isnt setting the sub super low. If YPAO is setting the sub at -10 then you should rerun YPAO. But I imagine you know that.

No, I'm not running into the range limits. I like it about 4 to 4.5 dB hot (I have a big space to fill with bass), so I turn the sub up to where YAPO sets it to around -4 dB. I then adjust that up to hover around 0.
post #3424 of 3482 Old 04-30-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No, I'm not running into the range limits. I like it about 4 to 4.5 dB hot (I have a big space to fill with bass), so I turn the sub up to where YAPO sets it to around -4 dB. I then adjust that up to hover around 0.
Good deal.

post #3425 of 3482 Old 04-30-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Subwoofer trim does something different than just changing the level. It's described under features on their website:

The Subwoofer Trim Control enhances the low frequencies by avoiding overlap with the front speaker output. This will result in a cleaner, more focused sound stage while providing a seamless frequency response. When subwoofer frequency overlap occurs in conventional systems, the overall sound is “pushed” toward the subwoofer. Subwoofer Trim Control takes care of this by separating the low subwoofer frequencies cleanly, thus stabilizing the front stage while providing a well-balanced enhanced bass sound.

It's not so clear what it really means though.
post #3426 of 3482 Old 04-30-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Subwoofer trim does something different than just changing the level. It's described under features on their website:

The Subwoofer Trim Control enhances the low frequencies by avoiding overlap with the front speaker output. This will result in a cleaner, more focused sound stage while providing a seamless frequency response. When subwoofer frequency overlap occurs in conventional systems, the overall sound is “pushed” toward the subwoofer. Subwoofer Trim Control takes care of this by separating the low subwoofer frequencies cleanly, thus stabilizing the front stage while providing a well-balanced enhanced bass sound.

Yes, I've read that many times and come to same conclusion as you, that it's not really clear. If you have a crossover set, how does this apply differently than just turning up the main sub level? Why would one cause overlap and not the other? I can see if you're running speakers as large, and you want to boost only the sub, although it still seems like the main sub level would do the same thing. In any case, that paragraph does little to clarify things.
post #3427 of 3482 Old 04-30-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Sounds like marketing speak with a touch of engineer to me. Perhaps it tightens up the crossover filter overlap? I never knew that though. Thanks. Maybe I'll play with it a little and see if I can hear a difference.
ThinkRationally likes this.

post #3428 of 3482 Old 05-05-2014, 09:12 AM

Liked: 10

Hey everyone.  I just joined the forums cause I have been having a problem.  I recently got the receiver and have noticed an issue I am having.  It seems that every bit the sounds goes out.  Sometimes it seems that the receiver will display something,  decoder off,  lose sound for a second then go back.  Any help as it is annoying and I just got it and dont want to send it in for repair.

post #3429 of 3482 Old 05-05-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs4u View Post

Hey everyone.  I just joined the forums cause I have been having a problem.  I recently got the receiver and have noticed an issue I am having.  It seems that every bit the sounds goes out.  Sometimes it seems that the receiver will display something,  decoder off,  lose sound for a second then go back.  Any help as it is annoying and I just got it and dont want to send it in for repair.
Did you buy used or new? Have you tried changing cables?

post #3430 of 3482 Old 05-06-2014, 06:41 AM

While I have a 675 now, still same problem. Any more ideas?
Is there a 675 owners thread? these are basically the same though....

I am having trouble getting sub output on my 675. I had the same issue with my 673 and they sent me a 673. Once I ran YPAO on both the sub never worked again. It would work before and during YPAO and never again.

I have a WD TV Live and Sony bdp-s590. All HDMI to receiver. I have a Panasonic ST60 plasma.
5.1 setup with all Sony 8ohm speakers.
JBL PB12 sub

I set all speakers to small and crossover to 80. I have the JBL PB12 crossover all the way up 150 to let avr manage. Its Plugged into L and selected lfe on sub. Manual indicates sub cross over switch is disables in life mode anyway. Sub works fine on other receiver. It also works fine just using RCA's from blu-ray. I called Yamaha and went through everything I had tried.
I've toggled different modes.
Surround syfy
Surround movie
Pl2 surround
Straight button
Pure direct button
Movie button
Wow disk LFE test and test tone provides nothing to sub.

I've went through various options, made sure in manual setup that the sub is on, I tried maxing to 10.0. I've tried making fronts large to then try enabliing extra bass. I checked trim and DRC and DSP settings.
Arc off, arc on, tried different HDMI outputs on TV for fun. Ordered new sub cable, tried both sub outputs.

I am wondering if the sub preout is too weak? Perhaps sub has trouble seeing it and stays in standby mode now? Only option is on/off switch. Lights stay red unless detects signal and turns green. I've tried various signals: stereo, dolby, 2.0 , 5.1 , DTS.....

I have my own thread too with some pics taken: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1524575/subwoofer-not-working-with-stereo-content-yamaha-rx-v673-or-675

I've done a hard reset and now sub still doesn't work. Tried YPAO again and now doesn't see sub at all.

Any other settings I should double check? I'd love to have another sub to test.

Thanks,
Prodeje
post #3431 of 3482 Old 05-06-2014, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #3432 of 3482 Old 05-06-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodeje79 View Post

I am having trouble getting sub output on my 675. I had the same issue with my 673 and they sent me a 673. Once I ran YPAO on both the sub never worked again. It would work before and during YPAO and never again.

I have a WD TV Live and Sony bdp-s590. All HDMI to receiver. I have a Panasonic ST60 plasma.
JBL PB12 sub

I set all speakers to small and crossover to 80. I have the JBL PB12 crossover all the way up 150 to let avr manage. Its Plugged into L and selected lfe on sub. Manual indicates sub cross over switch is disables in life mode anyway. Sub works fine on other receiver. It also works fine just using RCA's from blu-ray. I called Yamaha and went through everything I had tried.
Surround syfy
Surround movie
Pl2 surround
Straight button
Pure direct button
Movie button

I've went through various options, made sure in manual setup that the sub is on, I tried maxing to 10.0. I've tried making fronts large to then try enabliing extra bass. I checked trim and DRC and DSP settings.
Arc off, arc on, tried different HDMI outputs on TV for fun. Ordered new sub cable, tried both sub outputs.

I am wondering if the sub preout is too weak? Perhaps sub has trouble seeing it and stays in standby mode now? Only option is on/off switch. Lights stay red unless detects signal and turns green. I've tried various signals: stereo, dolby, 2.0 , 5.1 , DTS.....

I have my own thread too with some pics taken: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1524575/subwoofer-not-working-with-stereo-content-yamaha-rx-v673-or-675

I've done a hard reset and now sub still doesn't work. Tried YPAO again and now doesn't see sub at all.

I have no idea what to say. Youve tried everything I can think of.

post #3433 of 3482 Old 05-06-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:

I have no idea what to say. Youve tried everything I can think of.

Found someone with exact same issue moving from exact old sony to new receiver.....
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1265923/jbl-subwoofer-two-red-light-model-not-keeping-a-consistent-signal

Thanks,
Prodeje
post #3434 of 3482 Old 05-06-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:

JBL PB12 sub

Surround syfy
Surround movie
Pl2 surround
Straight button
Pure direct button
Movie button

Does the sub have a trigger input? If so, have you tried running a trigger wire? (Apologies if I missed this in your post.) My sub has an auto-on feature, but I find that it doesn't come on at low volumes, or is a bit inconsistent, so I ran a trigger wire and it works great. You could try a trigger wire and see if that gets the sub going (if you have the option).
post #3435 of 3482 Old 05-06-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Found someone with exact same issue moving from exact old sony to new receiver.....
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1265923/jbl-subwoofer-two-red-light-model-not-keeping-a-consistent-signal
Doesnt sound like the exact same issue. If the auto on feature isnt making it come on at low volume you can try a y splitter and/or increase the sub volume in the AVR. You increased the sub volume to +10.
And youre saying that when trying to run YPAO the 675 doesnt even recognize the sub.

post #3436 of 3482 Old 05-06-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:

Does the sub have a trigger input? If so, have you tried running a trigger wire? (Apologies if I missed this in your post.) My sub has an auto-on feature, but I find that it doesn't come on at low volumes, or is a bit inconsistent, so I ran a trigger wire and it works great. You could try a trigger wire and see if that gets the sub going (if you have the option).

OK I need to google this idea, could you tell me more????

Thanks,
Prodeje
post #3437 of 3482 Old 05-06-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:

Doesnt sound like the exact same issue. If the auto on feature isnt making it come on at low volume you can try a y splitter and/or increase the sub volume in the AVR. You increased the sub volume to +10.
And youre saying that when trying to run YPAO the 675 doesnt even recognize the sub.

OK I will try a y splitter idea, but it seems against how the LFE setup is per the sub instruction manual and the receivers....

I maxed out the sub in setup at +10.

correct, YPAO no longer sees the sub.
I did hard reset and still doesnt.
It saw and used the sub during my first YPAO test. the sub worked during FIRST YPAO on both receivers.
basically on both the 673 and 675, once i ran YPAO the sub NEVER works again on the receiver, even after hard reset.

Thanks,
Prodeje
post #3438 of 3482 Old 05-06-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:

OK I need to google this idea, could you tell me more????

Your AVR has a 12V trigger output (I think). When the AVR is on, there is a signal on that output. Many subs (and other AV equipment) have a 12V trigger input that will turn it on. You generally just need a mono or stereo 3.5mm (1/8") cable (plug on both ends, so not an extension cable) of sufficient length.
post #3439 of 3482 Old 05-06-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:

Your AVR has a 12V trigger output (I think). When the AVR is on, there is a signal on that output. Many subs (and other AV equipment) have a 12V trigger input that will turn it on. You generally just need a mono or stereo 3.5mm (1/8") cable (plug on both ends, so not an extension cable) of sufficient length.

I dont think there is anything else on the sub for sure.
manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Service%20Manual/PB12%20sm.pdf

Thanks,
Prodeje
post #3440 of 3482 Old 05-06-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

OK I will try a y splitter idea, but it seems against how the LFE setup is per the sub instruction manual and the receivers....

I maxed out the sub in setup at +10.

correct, YPAO no longer sees the sub.
I did hard reset and still doesnt.
It saw and used the sub during my first YPAO test. the sub worked during FIRST YPAO on both receivers.
basically on both the 673 and 675, once i ran YPAO the sub NEVER works again on the receiver, even after hard reset.
The 675 has 2 sub preouts. When it quit working in the first sub preout did you try switching to the second sub preout?
You say the sub works fine in a different receiver? Whens the last time you tried it with that receiver?

post #3441 of 3482 Old 05-06-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What sub volume did YPAO set the sub at?

post #3442 of 3482 Old 05-06-2014, 08:07 AM

Yes
Yes
Yesterday

Old receiver no HDMI
Wondering if related to HDMI somehow??
Quote:

The 675 has 2 sub preouts. When it quit working in the first sub preout did you try switching to the second sub preout?
You say the sub works fine in a different receiver? Whens the last time you tried it with that receiver?

Thanks,
Prodeje
post #3443 of 3482 Old 05-06-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes
Yes
Yesterday

Old receiver no HDMI
Wondering if related to HDMI somehow??
Very unlikely its HDMI related. The sub connection is not HDMI.
When the sub stopped working and you switched to the second preout what happened?
Prodeje79 likes this.

post #3444 of 3482 Old 05-06-2014, 08:14 AM

No output. I've even tried connecting both sub outputs to both sub inputs at same time.

Well I've read weird HDMI handshake issues with ARC etc. Who knows. Just an idea. I can try running all optical and see?
Quote:

Very unlikely its HDMI related. The sub connection is not HDMI.
When the sub stopped working and you switched to the second preout what happened?

Thanks,
Prodeje
post #3445 of 3482 Old 05-06-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No output. I've even tried connecting both sub outputs to both sub inputs at same time.

Well I've read weird HDMI handshake issues with ARC etc. Who knows. Just an idea. I can try running all optical and see?
Theres absolutely no reason to connect it that way.
ARC has nothing to do with the sub connection and you said you tried it with ARC on and off.
What volume did YPAO set the sub at?

post #3446 of 3482 Old 05-06-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The impression Im getting is that the sub may be sending a signal back to the receiver that is damaging the preout. It works ok in the older receiver because its not as susceptible.

post #3447 of 3482 Old 05-10-2014, 02:43 PM

Liked: 16
Does anyone have any tips on how to stream music from my PC to this receiver? Can I use a network cable or the router's wifi? I'm also not referring to the Airplay or Android streaming features. I'm looking for my PC to the receiver using a network cable or router wifi do to this.

Edit: I found one way to do this so far. Windows Media Player has an option to output to the receiver.
post #3448 of 3482 Old 05-10-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 364
On the Yamaha remote,on screen-input-server. Find your pc,click enter.BTW. my receiver is wired to router and wireless to pc.
post #3449 of 3482 Old 05-10-2014, 08:01 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post

On the Yamaha remote,on screen-input-server. Find your pc,click enter.BTW. my receiver is wired to router and wireless to pc.
Yep, thanks. I was messing around with it and it seems it is pulling all the media from the Libraries folder for Windows.
post #3450 of 3482 Old 05-15-2014, 04:37 AM

Hey guys,

Last night my amp put out some garbled noise when I tried to watch Netflix from my smart tv. Sounded like turning on car radio with volume up on wrong channel. I turned it off and back on again and it went away. This happened only once before also when I tried to watch Netflix few months ago. Happens right after everything is turned on. First time changing to another app on my tv fixed it. Is this a fluke or is the amp a dud on its way out?

Thanks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page