The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 116 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3451 of 3489 Old 05-15-2014, 04:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by moheban79 View Post

Hey guys,

Last night my amp put out some garbled noise when I tried to watch Netflix from my smart tv. Sounded like turning on car radio with volume up on wrong channel. I turned it off and back on again and it went away. This happened only once before also when I tried to watch Netflix few months ago. Happens right after everything is turned on. First time changing to another app on my tv fixed it. Is this a fluke or is the amp a dud on its way out?

Thanks.
Sounds more like a Netflix issue than anything but I wouldnt worry about it.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3452 of 3489 Old 05-19-2014, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I finally got the two Infinity Primus P363 speakers that I ordered months ago from Amazon for $214 and the center Infinity Primus PC351 for $189. I have been using these speakers for a week now. - I also use a pair of Pioneer S-H453F-K for the back - I would like to know if I need to change the setting from 8 ohm to 4 ohm speakers in the RX-v673, I do not want to damage the speakers or the receiver down the road because of this setting - So far all the speakers are working and sounding great without any problem - I use the set up most of the time for movies and music and not too loud sound level -Thanks

post #3453 of 3489 Old 05-19-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyda View Post

I finally got the two Infinity Primus P363 speakers that I ordered months ago from Amazon for $214 and the center Infinity Primus PC351 for $189. I have been using these speakers for a week now. - I also use a pair of Pioneer S-H453F-K for the back - I would like to know if I need to change the setting from 8 ohm to 4 ohm speakers in the RX-v673, I do not want to damage the speakers or the receiver down the road because of this setting - So far all the speakers are working and sounding great without any problem - I use the set up most of the time for movies and music and not too loud sound level -Thanks
No need to change. 8 ohm is fine. Just keep an eye on the 673 if you play loudly to make sure it isnt getting too hot.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #3454 of 3489 Old 05-19-2014, 01:56 PM

Thank you - I have a home made small fan running on top the RX-V673 during usage - so over heat is not going to be a problem -

post #3455 of 3489 Old 06-17-2014, 08:17 PM

Unhappy Audio Pop when switching input

Received the V673 for christmas and i don't remember exactly when, but sometime in the last three months it started popping whenever I mute or switch inputs which is something my 10 year old yamaha never used to do.

I've read that this is potentially an inherent defect in these models and seeing how the V673 is a few years old, I don't see a new firmware coming out to fix this issue. I'm currently on 1.80.

Is there anything that I can do to fix this? Is this something I should send back to yamaha, or is there a third option I'm not considering aside from ignoring it?
post #3456 of 3489 Old 06-20-2014, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey need some assistance, had the 673 for a while now and never had an issue using airplay with songs off my iphone5 until a buddy mentioned that he was having an issue and now i hear it all the time.

Ill be listening to Let it go (off frozen, my girls 2yoa and 4yoa, love it) and the music mutes like getting a text message or something and comes back on a couple seconds later. I check my phone and dont have any missed info or anything.

Any suggestions?
post #3457 of 3489 Old 06-22-2014, 06:06 PM

Liked: 0
Scenes..

ok I did a search but couldn't find anything, didn't read all 3400 posts though...

I have the RX-V673 I have everything hooked up via HDMI ... EVERYTHING..

So I have a DirecTV hooked up to HDMI 2 then a HDMI cable from receiver to TV.

I want to be able to control the receiver (on/off) with the TV remote. I hit the yamaha tv button the tv turns on and the receiver turns on and sets up the speakers. Then a few seconds later it switches to AV1. Now I found why its doing this.. when i turn on HDMI control it forces me to pic an audio source for the TV but it only lists AV1-8 and then Audio1 and 2. So you have to hit the TV button on the remote again.

Now if i turn off HDMI control sure it works but I can't turn off everything with other remotes... Why is HDMI not an option here? or is something wrong with my receiver?
post #3458 of 3489 Old 06-22-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwidow View Post
Hey need some assistance, had the 673 for a while now and never had an issue using airplay with songs off my iphone5 until a buddy mentioned that he was having an issue and now i hear it all the time.

Ill be listening to Let it go (off frozen, my girls 2yoa and 4yoa, love it) and the music mutes like getting a text message or something and comes back on a couple seconds later. I check my phone and dont have any missed info or anything.

Any suggestions?
Mine has done this a few times... but its usually due to the many notifications I have set.... not just texts.. emails, Facebook, calendar, anything set to notify.
post #3459 of 3489 Old 06-23-2014, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Wh View Post
ok I did a search but couldn't find anything, didn't read all 3400 posts though...

I have the RX-V673 I have everything hooked up via HDMI ... EVERYTHING..

So I have a DirecTV hooked up to HDMI 2 then a HDMI cable from receiver to TV.

I want to be able to control the receiver (on/off) with the TV remote. I hit the yamaha tv button the tv turns on and the receiver turns on and sets up the speakers. Then a few seconds later it switches to AV1. Now I found why its doing this.. when i turn on HDMI control it forces me to pic an audio source for the TV but it only lists AV1-8 and then Audio1 and 2. So you have to hit the TV button on the remote again.

Now if i turn off HDMI control sure it works but I can't turn off everything with other remotes... Why is HDMI not an option here? or is something wrong with my receiver?
This is actually quite a common complaint. Personally, I don't bother with HDMI control. I've found its behavior odd in a number of ways--it just never functioned in a way that seemed beneficial.

Can you program your TV remote to control the AVR? I have my cable box remote programmed to turn on the AVR and the volume control on it is locked to the AVR as well. For configuration functions, I need to use the AVR remote, but my gf doesn't need to worry much about that (except to switch to internet radio and back to TV).
post #3460 of 3489 Old 06-23-2014, 05:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I agree. HDMI Control is a pain. Easier to just get a universal remote for $20.
post #3461 of 3489 Old 06-30-2014, 12:24 PM

Hi folks, it's my first post, so pls. don't rip me apart if my question is too simple ...

Ok, in my livingroom runs a RX-V673 on a nice set of Dynaudios. I'm totally happy with - almost - everything. Every now and than we have a slide show running, feed from a PC through HDMI. My question is - and I believe I already know the answer (which is 'no!') - can I somehow run 'NetRadio' or any other internal audio source along with it?
post #3462 of 3489 Old 06-30-2014, 02:27 PM

Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by real_skydiver View Post
Hi folks, it's my first post, so pls. don't rip me apart if my question is too simple ...

Ok, in my livingroom runs a RX-V673 on a nice set of Dynaudios. I'm totally happy with - almost - everything. Every now and than we have a slide show running, feed from a PC through HDMI. My question is - and I believe I already know the answer (which is 'no!') - can I somehow run 'NetRadio' or any other internal audio source along with it?
Go into the Internet Radio, Airplay, Server, or SiriusXM input settings (whichever you want to listen to) and set the Video Out to the HDMI input you want to display. I like to watch sports on TV while listening to Internet radio.
post #3463 of 3489 Old 06-30-2014, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Does anyone what kind of power output the "Silent Cinema" port puts out compared to your standard phone? I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones and have always wondered if there would be a difference using the 1/4" adapter through an amplifier as opposed to the standard 3.5mm plug on a smartphone.
post #3464 of 3489 Old 06-30-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson1 View Post
Does anyone what kind of power output the "Silent Cinema" port puts out compared to your standard phone? I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones and have always wondered if there would be a difference using the 1/4" adapter through an amplifier as opposed to the standard 3.5mm plug on a smartphone.
It should be listed in the specs at the back of your Owners manual.
post #3465 of 3489 Old 07-05-2014, 12:51 AM

I really need some help guys, and I tried searching through this thread with no luck.

For someone my RX-V673 receiver is no longer allowing 3D pass through via the HDMI 1.4 cable.

It was working fine up until last year sometime, and earlier this year I tried watching a 3D bluray movie for the first time in a while, and the bluray put up a notice saying it didn't recognize any 3D capable devices attached.

I'm currently using an Optoma 3D projector connected to my Yamaha receiver.

I have tried using two different 3D bluray players, along with multiple bluray movies, and all give the same notice.

I tried doing some troubleshooting with the cable and the devices themselves:

1) I attached the bluray player directly to my Projector using the HDMI cable connecting the receiver to the projector and the 3D worked no problem.

2) I then attached the bluray player's HDMI cable that was going into the receiver directly into the projector - it also allowed the 3D to work no problem

3) I then tried waiting until AFTER the 3D was working to unplug the hdmi from the projector and reconnect the bluray to the receiver. Instantly the 3D connection was no longer recognized.

I have updated the receiver to the latest 1.80 firmware, and still no luck.

I have scoured the manual, tried different settings, but nothing I try seems to allow the 3D pass through - please help me figure this out!

Cheers,

Dexx
post #3466 of 3489 Old 07-05-2014, 03:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Make sure Video Processing is Off. That may be doing something funky.
Have you made any changes to the system? Added speakers? Running 5.1 or 7.1?
Tried unplugging the receiver for a few minutes?
Tried a different HDMI In?
Dexx Williams likes this.

Last edited by Bond 007; 07-05-2014 at 03:48 AM.
post #3467 of 3489 Old 07-05-2014, 12:38 PM

Thank you for the fast response Bond, I tried all of your suggestions, but unfortunately no luck.

I have a 7.1 speaker setup for my room. All speakers are working when I try them out via the zone test.

I did notice this tho, I'm not sure if this is the problem:

Under the options menu, within Video Signal, it shows HDMI Signal: HDMI -> DVI

and then under HDMI Monitor it shows: Interface DVI (with all the different ratios under Video Resolution as blank)

Could this be why 3D isn't passing through? If so, how would I change this?
post #3468 of 3489 Old 07-05-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexx Williams View Post
Thank you for the fast response Bond, I tried all of your suggestions, but unfortunately no luck.

I have a 7.1 speaker setup for my room. All speakers are working when I try them out via the zone test.

I did notice this tho, I'm not sure if this is the problem:

Under the options menu, within Video Signal, it shows HDMI Signal: HDMI -> DVI

and then under HDMI Monitor it shows: Interface DVI (with all the different ratios under Video Resolution as blank)

Could this be why 3D isn't passing through? If so, how would I change this?
Thats most likely the problem. Someone with a 675 had a similar problem recently but I dont know if he figured it out. Have you looked at the projector settings?
Dexx Williams likes this.
post #3469 of 3489 Old 07-05-2014, 03:40 PM

Projector settings are pretty basic, and I can't see anything to adjust that would impact what's coming in.

The projector is the Optoma HD33.

I found this little bit of info in a review of the projector from 2011:

Now, before getting too excited about being able to play games in Full HD resolution in stereo 3D mode on your PC, I should make it clear that this projector (like most other such) relies on HDMI 1.4a interface, something that is both good new for some users and not so good for others. Since the Optoma HD33 projector does not feature a Dual-Link DVI interface you can forget about being able to use it with 3D Vision for gaming in stereo 3D mode at 1080p resolution. - See more at: http://3dvision-blog.com/5791-optoma...-dlp-projector

Now when I plug the blur ay's HMDI cable directly into the projector it works, but when run through the receiver it seems to be thinking the signal is DVI as I mentioned in my previous post... so I definitely think that's where the problem is happening.

For the life of me I don't see any way to keep the signal HDMI and not convert into DVI *bangs head on wall*

I don't even see mention of that feature in the manual... so odd!

EDIT: I just came across this geforce.com forum thread where other owners of V673 receivers have been complaining about the same issue starting around the same time period as myself:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...-please-help-/

So it's nice that it's not just me... but nobody seems to know what's going on either. The other posters also mentioned their 3D was working and now it's not working with a "DVI" connection being shown. hrmmm

Last edited by Dexx Williams; 07-05-2014 at 03:59 PM. Reason: edit
post #3470 of 3489 Old 07-05-2014, 04:51 PM

UPDATE: Yay! I got it working!

I ended up coming across an old forum thread that basically told me to tech troubleshooting 101...

I turned off AND unplugged both the projector and the receiver. I then plugged back in the receiver, let it power up, connected the HDMI to the projector (again) and then turned on the projector.

Went into the video signal screen within the information section and voila - HDMI -> HDMI. 3D working again.

Not sure what caused the receiver to suddenly switch it's signal type, but if anyone else has the same issue at least now you know

EDIT: I also moved the HDMI cable from the projector from #1 to #2 . When I attempted to move it back to #1 the 3D functionality stopped again. So if in doubt, try changing the connection on the projector to a different HDMI input as well. (I had only changed the input on the receiver)

On a side note, maybe Bond 007 you can answer this:

I have a 7.1 setup for my speakers AND I also have two front presence speakers which are currently connected via Zone 2 on the receiver.

When I do a zone test with the receiver setup, I can see on the front panel all the speakers showing up... but the best I can get when playing movies is 7.1..

Is it possible to get the front presence speakers to be used when playing movies as well? (I'm guessing no since they are above my two tower speakers at the front, but figured I'd get some use out of them since they were my old smaller front speakers)

Last edited by Dexx Williams; 07-05-2014 at 06:04 PM. Reason: edit
post #3471 of 3489 Old 07-05-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No. The 673 will only power 7 speakers. You can switch between front presence and back surround but not listen to both at the same time.
post #3472 of 3489 Old 07-14-2014, 11:29 AM

Hello,
I just bought the 673 receiver few months ago, so far so good. However, I would like to use it with a bluetooth headset. Anybody has some experience with it? Any recommendation for the Bluetooth adapter and the headphone?

Cheers
Ronch
post #3473 of 3489 Old 07-14-2014, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronch620 View Post
Hello,
However, I would like to use it with a bluetooth headset. Anybody has some experience with it? Any recommendation for the Bluetooth adapter and the headphone?
Basic bluetooth has lossy compression and is pretty bad for music. I'm by no means an audiophile, but even I can tell a noticeable degradation when using bluetooth versus wired solutions or other wireless solutions that are not lossy.

However, more sophisticated bluetooth hardware will support either AAC, AptX, or both. These are alternative compression methods. AAC is still lossy, but I cannot tell the difference. AptX is lossless and supports high definition audio up to 96KHz. So if you insist on bluetooth, I would definitely take the time to get both an adapter and headphones that support the superior compression methods.

Another important item to consider is how many devices you will use the headphones with. The overwhelming majority of bluetooth speakers/headphones only pair with a single sending device. If you want to output from a different audio device, you then have to take the trouble to pair them first. And then repeat all over again when you switch again. Some headphones however, will pair to multiple devices. This saves time and eliminates a lot of frustrating hassle. So, if you think you'll have multiple bluetooth output devices, I'd make sure the headphones are capable of pairing to multiple devices. (To be clear, the headphones can only be connected to one device at a time, it just holds pairing information for multiple devices so you don't have to keep re-pairing.)

Personally, I have Logitech UE 9000 headphones. They support both AAC and AptX, and they can pair up to 8 devices. In wired mode, the audio is neutral and exceptionally good. In bluetooth mode, there is a small amount of white noise always present and I'm guessing there is some active equalization going on because the audio becomes a little bass heavy. It's still quite good though, and people who like bass might even prefer it. Unfortunately these are discontinued, so while there are still some new units out there for sale, they are not from authorized dealers and there will be no warranty support from Logitech. These originally sold for about $400, but the few units left in the grey market sell them for around $250.

I'm not familiar with any adapters.

Last edited by Actionable Mango; 07-14-2014 at 01:15 PM.
post #3474 of 3489 Old 07-14-2014, 03:02 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks Act. Mango! Are there any other better wireless headphone solution with the Amplifier? I am living in a very quiet environment with 2 kids

Thanks a lot
ronch
post #3475 of 3489 Old 07-14-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks Act. Mango! Are there any other better wireless headphone solution with the Amplifier? I am living in a very quiet environment with 2 kids
There are a plethora of non-bluetooth wireless solutions out there, but I don't have any recent experience with them and so cannot recommend anything specific.

I personally use bluetooth because those transmitters are already built into the sources of my audio playback... smartphone, tablet, and home computer. Fortunately they all support bluetooth with either AAC, AptX, or both.
ronch620 likes this.
post #3476 of 3489 Old 07-15-2014, 05:23 AM

Would this work?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Avantree-Wir...r+and+receiver

Plug the above to the headphone jack.

Then I can connect the bluetooth headphone to it.

Does this works? Are there any other better options?

cheers
Ronch
post #3477 of 3489 Old 07-15-2014, 08:30 PM

Weird problem: my Rx-v673 persists in switching itself to AirPlay input fir no apparent reason. None of my Apples (Mini, MBPs, IPhones) seem to be trying to do AirPlay.

Setup includes Harmony Ultimate, TCL TV, Mini, 5.1 speakers.

My AVR is *not* running updated firmware; that's the next thing I'll try.
post #3478 of 3489 Old 07-17-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Would this work?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Avantree-Wir...r+and+receiver

Plug the above to the headphone jack.

Then I can connect the bluetooth headphone to it.

Does this works? Are there any other better options?
I don't have any experience with bluetooth adapters, so I wouldn't know. One thing that makes me wary about your particular choice is that it's battery powered with a proprietary battery. What happens when the battery will no longer take a charge? In my experience, some devices cannot operate the same time they are charging. It seems to be if you are getting a bluetooth adapter for your AVR and not for portable use, you'd want one without a battery that either plugs into mains or one the USB power ports now available on many home theater components. On the other hand, if you do want to occasionally use it for portable purposes, then I suppose the battery is a requirement.

Just my 2 cents.
ronch620 likes this.
post #3479 of 3489 Old 07-17-2014, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Any chance Yamaha would update to add internet music sources like Spotify or Amazon music? Our do we have to buy the next generation receivers?

"It's an invention, and it makes Non-Stop Rocking possible!"
post #3480 of 3489 Old 07-18-2014, 03:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The 673 will almost certainly not be getting any more updates.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V673 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page