The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 118 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #3511 of 3642 Old 10-26-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post
Thanks I adjusted the gain knob up a bit and it does sound better/fuller. Still confused about what the 'Subwoofer Trim' option actually does. I have it set at +1.5dB. Also, what parametric EQ setting has everyone settled on? Options are flat, front, natural, and through. Should i be using front since i only have a 3.1 config?
Use whatever sounds best.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 3642 Old 11-02-2014, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, hopefully this is an easy question for some of you 673 experts.

I recently set up a Mac Mini as a dedicated HTPC, with an HDMI connection to the Yamaha.
It's working fine for the most part - my issue is with getting 2 ch. audio sounding good with my 5.1 setup.
All of presets I've tried that should simulate some C channel information just aren't doing it.

I can raise the C channel level in the overall setup, but then it's way too loud when I switch to a different source that has proper 5.1 encoding.

Anyone with suggestions on settings to make 2ch. audio sound good with a 5.1 setup?

Thanks in advance.
post #3513 of 3642 Old 11-03-2014, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamosb78 View Post
Hi, hopefully this is an easy question for some of you 673 experts.

I recently set up a Mac Mini as a dedicated HTPC, with an HDMI connection to the Yamaha.
It's working fine for the most part - my issue is with getting 2 ch. audio sounding good with my 5.1 setup.
All of presets I've tried that should simulate some C channel information just aren't doing it.

I can raise the C channel level in the overall setup, but then it's way too loud when I switch to a different source that has proper 5.1 encoding.

Anyone with suggestions on settings to make 2ch. audio sound good with a 5.1 setup?

Thanks in advance.
Are you trying this with movies or music? A matrixed or fake 5.1 will always sound inferior to a proper 5.1 mix so you might have to reset your expectations of that. I think all you can do is play around with the surround decoder modes on the receiver and see which one sounds best. Also maybe try turning on the compression enhancer through the option button on the remote.
post #3514 of 3642 Old 11-03-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post
Are you trying this with movies or music? A matrixed or fake 5.1 will always sound inferior to a proper 5.1 mix so you might have to reset your expectations of that. I think all you can do is play around with the surround decoder modes on the receiver and see which one sounds best. Also maybe try turning on the compression enhancer through the option button on the remote.
Music and properly encoded DTS/5.1 files sound great on the system. It's when trying to watch a movie that outputs 2.0 PCM that it's a problem. The background sound ends up being much louder than the dialog, so it's often tough to hear and comprehend what's being said.

On past receivers I've had, I remember presets that have "faked" the LCR, I think by directing voice frequencies toward the C channel. I couldn't find anything like this on the Yamaha.
And yes, the compression will help! I was looking for some compression settings last night and couldn't find any. Thanks for suggesting that.

Last edited by Jamosb78; 11-05-2014 at 01:40 PM.
post #3515 of 3642 Old 11-07-2014, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have RX-V673 remote control and the same is not working. I bought a new one as a replacement, but I don't see the orange light on the new remote control also. Any idea where is the problem, the receiver or the remote?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ketul; 11-07-2014 at 08:02 PM.
post #3516 of 3642 Old 11-09-2014, 08:46 AM

Issue with Firmware Update v 1.85

After updating my RX-V673 from firmware v1.80 to the recently issued v 1.85 firmware, I find that I can no longer access my Pandora account or Net Radio. Even though I am connected to my network and can access Rhapsody, Sirius and my media server, the Pandora screen says that I am not connected to the network and gives an "access error" message. Net Radio also shows "access error".

The RX-V673 network information screen shows the unit's IP address and the status as connected. I can also access the unit from the Web Control Center and it appears as a device on the Windows network map. So it is clearly connected to the network. For some reason the Pandora and Net Radio apps are not recognizing it. DHCP is off and the unit has a fixed IP address and the media streaming options are allowed.

I'm at a loss as to what to try next. Has anyone else experienced this or have any advice as to how to resolve it? I did submit a report to Yamaha tech support but have not yet heard back. I also wanted to poll the larger user's group. Thanks.
post #3517 of 3642 Old 11-09-2014, 12:28 PM

Liked: 0
Have you tried with dhcp turned on.? I have an rx v675 and had an access error with my unit until they fixed it with a firmware update this week . Funny the reason on Yamahas website for the 1.85 firmware update is "to improve network connectivity". The reason I mention trying with DHCP on is that i would have connectivity issues for some reason when trying to use a static ip address. Worth a shot
post #3518 of 3642 Old 11-09-2014, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I wonder if the new update will fix the issue with the wifi adapter constantly dropping the connection. Have to reboot the thing about every 20 minutes.
post #3519 of 3642 Old 11-09-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayabb View Post
Have you tried with dhcp turned on.? I have an rx v675 and had an access error with my unit until they fixed it with a firmware update this week . Funny the reason on Yamahas website for the 1.85 firmware update is "to improve network connectivity". The reason I mention trying with DHCP on is that i would have connectivity issues for some reason when trying to use a static ip address. Worth a shot

Yes, ironic isn't it that Yamaha issued the update to supposedly improve connectivity. All worked fine under v 1.80 with the fixed IP. Guess I shouldn't have tried to fix what wasn't broke!

Its odd that Rhapsody, Sirius and my media server all connect with a fixed IP address. It's only Pandora and Net Radio, but as you say it's worth a shot.
post #3520 of 3642 Old 11-09-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dherrick View Post
Yes, ironic isn't it that Yamaha issued the update to supposedly improve connectivity. All worked fine under v 1.80 with the fixed IP. Guess I shouldn't have tried to fix what wasn't broke!

Its odd that Rhapsody, Sirius and my media server all connect with a fixed IP address. It's only Pandora and Net Radio, but as you say it's worth a shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayabb View Post
Believe it or not, that worked. For some reason when DHCP was turned on everything worked. DHCP selected a different IP address. I tried directly changing to the static IP address that worked under DHCP but had the same issue. With DHCP on all is well. Strange. Thanks for the help.
post #3521 of 3642 Old 11-09-2014, 01:27 PM

Liked: 0
Glad it worked. Not sure why however
post #3522 of 3642 Old 11-09-2014, 02:21 PM

Yes, very strange, and it only affected Pandora and Net Radio. Static IP worked fine with Rhapsody, Sirius and my media server. For what its worth, when Yamaha tech support responds, I'll mention this peculiarity.
post #3523 of 3642 Old 11-11-2014, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
WMP timed out

Saw a couple of posts asking why WMP with windows 7 "times out" or "cannot connect" when trying to stream audio. My Mcaffe firewall blocks me from streaming music, sometimes! Sometimes resetting defaults works sometimes no. Tried Netguard settings, WMP exe. settings with no luck. Driving me crazy. I have to turn off the firewall to stream.

any ideas??
post #3524 of 3642 Old 11-14-2014, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Please help setting up Dayton 1200 Sub

Hello everyone - I need help here - I got the two Infinity Primus P363 speakers and the center Infinity Primus PC351 - I also use a pair of Pioneer S-H453F-K for the back - Just got the Dayton sub 1200 - I connected Dayton to sub 1 of AVR and ran the YPAO - My problem is when I played the DVD T2 movie and the sub sound is very low during the car chase and gun - I already swapped out the RCA cable and set the speakers to small as suggested on this thread
FYI - this is a second Dayton 1200 sub I got from part express as the first was DOA
Am I doing something wrong here ?
post #3525 of 3642 Old 11-14-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 232
^ the sub's own volume control might just be set too low. The AVR level trim can only adjust so much (+10dB is the max), so check the sub level in the AVR and report what it is.

I would also use the manual test tones (ideally with an SPL meter) to make sure the sub sounds like it's playing at the same level as the other speakers.
post #3526 of 3642 Old 11-14-2014, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyda View Post
Hello everyone - I need help here - I got the two Infinity Primus P363 speakers and the center Infinity Primus PC351 - I also use a pair of Pioneer S-H453F-K for the back - Just got the Dayton sub 1200 - I connected Dayton to sub 1 of AVR and ran the YPAO - My problem is when I played the DVD T2 movie and the sub sound is very low during the car chase and gun - I already swapped out the RCA cable and set the speakers to small as suggested on this thread
FYI - this is a second Dayton 1200 sub I got from part express as the first was DOA
I find that YPAO sets the sub very low. Either that, or content doesn't have as much bass as we expect. I increase the sub by 4-6 dB from what YPAO sets. I run YPAO until I have the volume on the sub itself set such that YPAO sets the sub to around -4.5 dB (I ran it two or three times to dial it in). From there, I turn it up to 0 DB + or - 1 dB or so in the AVR. Most people like their subs running a little hot.

NOTE: Some people will suggest that leaving the AVR at around 0 (or lower) and playing with the sub volume is the better way to go (it comes up once in a while on various forum threads). I'm not sure of the reason, but personally I prefer adjusting it through the AVR and not messing with the sub volume once I have it set. There is more control on the AVR and it clearly tells you how much adjustment you're making (if your sub doesn't have that capability).
post #3527 of 3642 Old 11-14-2014, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by poboczky View Post
Saw a couple of posts asking why WMP with windows 7 "times out" or "cannot connect" when trying to stream audio. My Mcaffe firewall blocks me from streaming music, sometimes! Sometimes resetting defaults works sometimes no. Tried Netguard settings, WMP exe. settings with no luck. Driving me crazy. I have to turn off the firewall to stream.
Make sure your network connection type is set to "home" instead of "public" in Windows. If it is set to public, the firewall is much more strict. Once you've verified that, make sure that the ports used to stream music are open. I have no idea what method you are using to stream music, but if you're using DLNA, then the ports are 2869, 1900, and 5001. Or, frankly, just do what most people do and run with your firewall off and rely on your router's firewall to protect you.

Quote:
I did YPAO a few times during initial setup and I noted that no matter where I had the subwoofer's gain knob set, YPAO always set the subwoofer level down some (I think -1 or -2, cannot remember exactly). So this tells me that YPAO isn't doing much if anything for subs connected to this particular model of AVR, so you'll have to set it by ear. I believe the usual advice in the subwoofer forum is to set the subwoofer's gain knob somewhere between 12:00 and 2:00 (halfway to slightly above halfway) and use the receiver's sub out gain to set it where you like. That sets a base level and from then on use the knob for small changes.

Also, make sure your crossover filters are set correctly.
post #3528 of 3642 Old 11-14-2014, 10:21 AM

@ ThinkRationall and Actionable Mango - I set the gain and crossover on the sub to the max - Also does it matter if I connect the RCA cable to the L or R of the sub ?
post #3529 of 3642 Old 11-14-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
I did YPAO a few times during initial setup and I noted that no matter where I had the subwoofer's gain knob set, YPAO always set the subwoofer level down some (I think -1 or -2, cannot remember exactly). So this tells me that YPAO isn't doing much if anything for subs connected to this particular model of AVR, so you'll have to set it by ear. I believe the usual advice in the subwoofer forum is to set the subwoofer's gain knob somewhere between 12:00 and 2:00 (halfway to slightly above halfway) and use the receiver's sub out gain to set it where you like. That sets a base level and from then on use the knob for small changes.

I have the 773, but I don't think the YPAO differs in this regard (it's single point vs multi-point, but the sub setting should be the same). My AVR definitely sets the sub differently based on the volume setting on the sub itself. To me, it's setting the level (albeit to what seems like a low value), but it doesn't have EQ capability. I simply set the sub so that YPAO sets it to around -4.5 dB, then I turn it up to 0ish in the AVR.
post #3530 of 3642 Old 11-14-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
@ ThinkRationall and Actionable Mango - I set the gain and crossover on the sub to the max - Also does it matter if I connect the RCA cable to the L or R of the sub ?
Both sub outputs are the same. It's just split inside the chassis. It doesn't matter which one you use.

EDIT: And, yes, if your AVR is doing the bass management, then turn the crossover on the sub to the max or LFE setting (however it's marked on the sub).
post #3531 of 3642 Old 11-14-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post
I have the 773, but I don't think the YPAO differs in this regard (it's single point vs multi-point, but the sub setting should be the same). My AVR definitely sets the sub differently based on the volume setting on the sub itself. To me, it's setting the level (albeit to what seems like a low value), but it doesn't have EQ capability. I simply set the sub so that YPAO sets it to around -4.5 dB, then I turn it up to 0ish in the AVR.
You're probably right and I'm probably remembering things incorrectly. I do remember for sure that it seemed to be consistently setting it to a negative value, and too low for my taste.
post #3532 of 3642 Old 11-14-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
You're probably right and I'm probably remembering things incorrectly. I do remember for sure that it seemed to be consistently setting it to a negative value, and too low for my taste.
Too low for my taste as well. I need more rumble and boom.
post #3533 of 3642 Old 11-14-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Make sure your network connection type is set to "home" instead of "public" in Windows. If it is set to public, the firewall is much more strict. Once you've verified that, make sure that the ports used to stream music are open. I have no idea what method you are using to stream music, but if you're using DLNA, then the ports are 2869, 1900, and 5001. Or, frankly, just do what most people do and run with your firewall off and rely on your router's firewall to protect you.

How do you set the crossover filter ? is it on the AVR or the sub ?
post #3534 of 3642 Old 11-14-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
How do you set the crossover filter ? is it on the AVR or the sub ?
It's in both. I believe the recommendation is to turn it off in one place and only use the other. In the receiver I think it's called frequency cutoff or something like that. On the sub it is usually a knob or two with names like crossover, low pass filter, or high pass filter. You are setting the frequency that the sub should handle (low frequencies) and preventing it from trying to output inappropriate frequencies.

There's a whole list of things to think about when making that setting, and I'm the wrong guy to talk about that. The optimal way to set it depends on a gazillion factors. But, basically speaking, if you set the crossover too low you won't hear much bass and if you set it too high the bass will be muddled.
post #3535 of 3642 Old 11-14-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
It's in both. I believe the recommendation is to turn it off in one place and only use the other. In the receiver I think it's called frequency cutoff or something like that. On the sub it is usually a knob or two with names like crossover, low pass filter, or high pass filter. You are setting the frequency that the sub should handle (low frequencies) and preventing it from trying to output inappropriate frequencies.

There's a whole list of things to think about when making that setting, and I'm the wrong guy to talk about that. The optimal way to set it depends on a gazillion factors. But, basically speaking, if you set the crossover too low you won't hear much bass and if you set it too high the bass will be muddled.
If his speakers are set to small, the AVR is sending all frequencies below the crossover set in the AVR to the sub. The sub should not be limiting any signal it gets in this case, because the AVR is taking care of that, so the sub low pass filter should be set to max (or LFE, however it's marked on the particular sub--LFE is the low frequency effects setting which assumes that's all the sub will get and doesn't limit it with filtering).
post #3536 of 3642 Old 11-14-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
If his speakers are set to small, the AVR is sending all frequencies below the crossover set in the AVR to the sub. The sub should not be limiting any signal it gets in this case, because the AVR is taking care of that, so the sub low pass filter should be set to max (or LFE, however it's marked on the particular sub--LFE is the low frequency effects setting which assumes that's all the sub will get and doesn't limit it with filtering).
I will try to run the set up again when I get home from work tonight - on the Dayton 1200 sub there is no marking LFE on any of the output - So which one should I plug in the RCA cable from RX-V673 sub output ?
Sorry for all the questions here as I never have a sub before - Thanks

http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/...ess-manual.pdf
post #3537 of 3642 Old 11-14-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I will try to run the set up again when I get home from work tonight - on the Dayton 1200 sub there is no marking LFE on any of the output - So which one should I plug in the RCA cable from RX-V673 sub output ?
Sorry for all the questions here as I never have a sub before - Thanks

http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/...ess-manual.pdf
Set the crossover knob all the way to right, to 140 Hz. If this is a 140 Hz low pass filter (as opposed to defeating the filter completely in the sub), then don't set your AVR crossover higher than 140 Hz (hopefully it will be much lower than that, ideally under 100, but it depends on the low frequency capability of your speakers).

Plug the RCA cable from the AVR into the R line in marked "mono".

After that, you just need to figure out what gain setting you need.
post #3538 of 3642 Old 11-14-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Set the crossover knob all the way to right, to 140 Hz. If this is a 140 Hz low pass filter (as opposed to defeating the filter completely in the sub), then don't set your AVR crossover higher than 140 Hz (hopefully it will be much lower than that, ideally under 100, but it depends on the low frequency capability of your speakers).

Plug the RCA cable from the AVR into the R line in marked "mono".

After that, you just need to figure out what gain setting you need.
How do you read the low frequency on the speakers ?

For the P363 speakers - the crossover frequency: 350Hz, 330Hz and 24dB octave ????

http://s3.amazonaws.com/szmanuals/0d...2f593a95dc457f
post #3539 of 3642 Old 11-14-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
How do you read the low frequency on the speakers ?

For the P363 speakers - the crossover frequency: 350Hz, 330Hz and 24dB octave ????

http://s3.amazonaws.com/szmanuals/0d...2f593a95dc457f
Just let YPAO do it. It'll set a crossover frequency in the AVR (which you can change if you want). It looks like your center is the limiting factor, as the other speakers have pretty good low frequency response. The center -3dB point is 80 Hz, so that should be your minimum crossover. It might be better at 90 Hz, although I doubt you will hear much difference. YPAO may set a lower crossover based on the other speakers, but I'm guessing it'll go with the weakest link in the chain (not sure, though, as all of my speakers are about the same in that regard).

The crossovers you listed are internal to the speakers. It's where the change is from tweeter to mid-range and mid-range to woofer. Don't worry about those for the purposes of setting up your system. The crossover you are setting (or that YPAO is setting) is from those speakers to your sub.
post #3540 of 3642 Old 11-14-2014, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
This is more of a general question, but since I have this AVR I will throw it here.

We had a dog introduced to hour house recently and this receiver is in my living room. It's on a shelf, but it's on a bottom shelf that is open on all sides so I am worried about dog hair. Is there anything I can attach to the vents that will still allow proper air flow and keep the dog hair out? I don't imagine it will be a big problem since there is no fan pulling debris in like on my PCs.

Also, what is the best way to routinely clean the AVR of dust on the inside?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V673 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page