The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 119 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3541 of 3557 Old 11-14-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson1 View Post
This is more of a general question, but since I have this AVR I will throw it here.

We had a dog introduced to hour house recently and this receiver is in my living room. It's on a shelf, but it's on a bottom shelf that is open on all sides so I am worried about dog hair. Is there anything I can attach to the vents that will still allow proper air flow and keep the dog hair out? I don't imagine it will be a big problem since there is no fan pulling debris in like on my PCs.

Also, what is the best way to routinely clean the AVR of dust on the inside?
Maybe something like window screen will help. Make sure it's properly ventilated with plenty of space around it for airflow.
Take the cover off once a year and blow it out with a can of compressed air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3542 of 3557 Old 11-15-2014, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post
Just let YPAO do it. It'll set a crossover frequency in the AVR (which you can change if you want). It looks like your center is the limiting factor, as the other speakers have pretty good low frequency response. The center -3dB point is 80 Hz, so that should be your minimum crossover. It might be better at 90 Hz, although I doubt you will hear much difference. YPAO may set a lower crossover based on the other speakers, but I'm guessing it'll go with the weakest link in the chain (not sure, though, as all of my speakers are about the same in that regard).

The crossovers you listed are internal to the speakers. It's where the change is from tweeter to mid-range and mid-range to woofer. Don't worry about those for the purposes of setting up your system. The crossover you are setting (or that YPAO is setting) is from those speakers to your sub.
I gave up on YPAO and set the speakers and sub by ears - I have both the FL n FR set at +2.5 dB and the center at +4.0 dB - The sub set at 2.0 dB n crossover at 160Hz on AVR (crossover on sub at max and gain at 2 pm) - Watched bd Frozen movie with my kids and the sound is clear and good at the AVR volume at -30 dB and I could hear the rumbling during the movie - I still need to fine tune the system and sub location - I have some questions for the experts here:
1. should I set the sub back at 80 Hz instead of 160 Hz ?
2. will the sub get damage if I leave it at 160 Hz ?
3. is there anything wrong with the setting I have above ? What I am trying to say is: am I doing any damage to my AVR and speakers if I keep at current setting
FYI the basement is 18 x 12 with open way to the living room
Thank you
post #3543 of 3557 Old 11-15-2014, 06:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyda View Post
I gave up on YPAO and set the speakers and sub by ears - I have both the FL n FR set at +2.5 dB and the center at +4.0 dB - The sub set at 2.0 dB n crossover at 160Hz on AVR (crossover on sub at max and gain at 2 pm) - Watched bd Frozen movie with my kids and the sound is clear and good at the AVR volume at -30 dB and I could hear the rumbling during the movie - I still need to fine tune the system and sub location - I have some questions for the experts here:
3. is there anything wrong with the setting I have above ? What I am trying to say is: am I doing any damage to my AVR and speakers if I keep at current setting
Thank you
What kind of speakers and subwoofer do you have?
post #3544 of 3557 Old 11-15-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
What kind of speakers and subwoofer do you have?
I got the two Infinity Primus P363 speakers and the center Infinity Primus PC351for the front - I also use a pair of Pioneer S-H453F-K for the back - Just got the Dayton sub 1200 - Thanks
post #3545 of 3557 Old 11-15-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I got the two Infinity Primus P363 speakers and the center Infinity Primus PC351for the front - I also use a pair of Pioneer S-H453F-K for the back - Just got the Dayton sub 1200 - Thanks
The sub will not get damaged at 160 but that's not the best setting for it. I would set it back to 80.
post #3546 of 3557 Old 11-16-2014, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Thank you
Out of curiosity, what is it that wasn't working out with YPAO? It does more that set the levels; it also applies PEQ to try to correct for room acoustics. As to your points:

1. 160 Hz is very high for the crossover. Your speakers are capable of lower frequencies than that. Further, if I read your sub specs right, it only goes as high as 140 Hz (the highest setting it has). That means you must have a gap in the 140-160 Hz range with those settings. Personally, a crossover above 100 Hz has caused problems for me in the past. Deep parts of male voices will come through the sub and sound boomy or hummy compared to other dialog, especially if the sub is running hot. With your speakers you can set the crossover to 80 or 90 Hz.

2. The sub probably won't get damaged, but as I suggested above it might be filtering out frequencies above 140 Hz leaving a gap up to 160 Hz where your speakers pick up.

3. No damage, but I doubt you have achieved your optimal settings. Did you manually set the speaker distances in the AVR? The sub distance cannot be set with a measuring tape because the processing delay in the sub should be taken into consideration. YPAO generally sets the sub distance further than the actual physical distance to account for this.

The bottom line, though, is that you like what you hear. I'm just throwing out some suggestions.
post #3547 of 3557 Old 11-22-2014, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a Yamaha RX-V673 that I have had just over a year.

I have a Yamaha RX-V673 that I have had for just over a year with no issues. Last night while watching a regular TV show, the power kicked off. I tried to turn it back on, and then it kicked right back off. Now when I hit the power button, the red light blinks and nothing happens.

I turned it off, unplugged and re-tried, still didn't work. I undid all of the speaker wires from the back, and tried to power it on again and still nothing.

What are my options here? I can't seem to find much online in google search, and am new to the forums.

Thanks for any and all help!!
post #3548 of 3557 Old 11-22-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ Call Yamaha. Most likely needs repair.
post #3549 of 3557 Old 11-22-2014, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
How about speaker grill cloth and probably should use moisture free canned air
post #3550 of 3557 Old 11-22-2014, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Rx v673

Any way that I can select 2 channel with subwoofer or do you have to use a surround mode??
post #3551 of 3557 Old 11-22-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poboczky View Post
Any way that I can select 2 channel with subwoofer or do you have to use a surround mode??
2 Channel Stereo
post #3552 of 3557 Old 11-22-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post
Out of curiosity, what is it that wasn't working out with YPAO? It does more that set the levels; it also applies PEQ to try to correct for room acoustics. As to your points:

1. 160 Hz is very high for the crossover. Your speakers are capable of lower frequencies than that. Further, if I read your sub specs right, it only goes as high as 140 Hz (the highest setting it has). That means you must have a gap in the 140-160 Hz range with those settings. Personally, a crossover above 100 Hz has caused problems for me in the past. Deep parts of male voices will come through the sub and sound boomy or hummy compared to other dialog, especially if the sub is running hot. With your speakers you can set the crossover to 80 or 90 Hz.

2. The sub probably won't get damaged, but as I suggested above it might be filtering out frequencies above 140 Hz leaving a gap up to 160 Hz where your speakers pick up.

3. No damage, but I doubt you have achieved your optimal settings. Did you manually set the speaker distances in the AVR? The sub distance cannot be set with a measuring tape because the processing delay in the sub should be taken into consideration. YPAO generally sets the sub distance further than the actual physical distance to account for this.

The bottom line, though, is that you like what you hear. I'm just throwing out some suggestions.
I reran YPAO to get the distance then using tones to set the speakers - So far all speakers are sounding great. I also reset the crossover in the AVR at 80 Hz
post #3553 of 3557 Old 11-22-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by poboczky View Post

Make sure all your speakers are set as SMALL, then the sub will play with two channel sources.
poboczky likes this.
post #3554 of 3557 Old 11-25-2014, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wake on LAN?

Hi,

Have a RX-V673 and it finds my Plex server without issue...except when the server is in standby.

Is there any way to get the RX-V673 to issue the Wake on LAN to wake it up?

cheers

David
post #3555 of 3557 Old 11-27-2014, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hay7777 View Post
Hi,

Have a RX-V673 and it finds my Plex server without issue...except when the server is in standby.

Is there any way to get the RX-V673 to issue the Wake on LAN to wake it up?

Good question, I would like to know this, as well. I have to turn on my DVD player and use it's media player to wake up the server PC, and then switch over to the Yamaha media player. Windows 8.1.

"It's an invention, and it makes Non-Stop Rocking possible!"
post #3556 of 3557 Old 11-28-2014, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Picked up some new speakers and a new sub. I have the LCR hooked up and running and I have the sub hooked up, but for some reason, the 673 is not picking it up. I have an RCA cable going from the Subwoofer 1 on the back of the receiver to the LFE port on the sub.

One other thing is that I don't have it hooked up to a TV, so I can't enter the GUI on a TV for configuring the 673. I'm just playing with the new speakers and using the USB/Ipod for music.

Is there a way to "activate" the sub using the front display panel or the remote? I'm in 7ch stereo mode and it shows on the front panel the 5 channel. Am I missing something?

Panasonic 55ST50
Yamaha RX-V673
Klipsch RF-52 II // RC-52 II // RS-42 II
Klipsch RW-12d
Klipsch KG 2.5
post #3557 of 3557 Old 11-29-2014, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Antennae to RX-V673?

Hi,

Been a while. Not sure if this is the stupidest question of all time but here goes.

Wondering if there is a way to hook up my hi def antennae for my flat screen TV to the receiver to control it?

I recently "cut cords" with Direct TV and of course since I'm really no good at all this hooking up stuff got the hi Def antennae set up the old fashioned way. It's actually a good antenna called the Lava Omni Pro. No extended stations but that's OK. I watch allot of Netflix and Amazon Prime Video so not the end of the world.

Anyways, if there is a way to set up the TV to be controlled by the receiver can someone jot down some notes for me? I know that the TV needs to be set to Antennae first to get a signal but I miss the full control of the receiver not to mention the surround sound I get.

Thanks folks!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V673 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page