The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 120 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #3571 of 3578 Old 01-20-2015, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone,

I am a proud owner of a yamaha rx v673 now. I bought this receiver to replace an old but still working yamaha HTR 5760 in my bedroom, just for 2-channel audio. Bought the v673 for $99 used. I tested all the inputs/outputs, airplay, etc and everything works just fine. The only thing I can't test is the 3d pass through because I don't have a 3d tv, but regular 1080p 60hz through HDMI works fine. So far the only thing wrong with it is cosmetic. Small dent on the top left near the front faceplate and a small dent on the top center.

I just feel that I got a great deal with this unit, it has all the features I want and sounds great. The receiver is hooked up to two Klipsch R15m bookshelfs.

In the living room I am running a yamaha rx v665 that I bought for $60.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3572 of 3578 Old 01-21-2015, 12:07 AM

Liked: 10
Apologies if this has been asked earlier in the thread, I searched but could not find it.

I have this receiver hooked up to a HTPC which I use for both music and movies. The music is all 2-channel, and the movies are all surround sound. Is there any way to configure the receiver such that it will play 2-channel sources only over 2 channels, and surround over all channels? Currently I end up switching the "program" back and forth from "DD Pro Logic" to "2-channel stereo" which is mildly inconvenient and easy to forget to do, whereupon I end up watching a surround movie in stereo or stereo music in fake surround. Any ideas? Thanks!
post #3573 of 3578 Old 01-21-2015, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think I have mine set up as "direct" or "pure direct" or something like that and it only uses the 5.1 when it needs to.
post #3574 of 3578 Old 01-21-2015, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 184
^ "Straight" mode is what you want. Don't use Pure Direct because it bypasses all processing (no bass management, EQ, etc.).
post #3575 of 3578 Old 01-21-2015, 09:57 AM

Liked: 12
^ Ah yes, that's what I was thinking of. Thanks.
post #3576 of 3578 Old 01-23-2015, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
^ "Straight" mode is what you want. Don't use Pure Direct because it bypasses all processing (no bass management, EQ, etc.).
Thanks to both of you! I think I used straight mode at some point in the past and then forgot all about it.
post #3577 of 3578 Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No video to Nyrius wireless transmitter?

Hi everyone,

I just got the 673 and have run into a very odd problem! Hoping you wise sages can help!

I have to use a Nyrius Aries Home+ wireless transmitter to beam video from the 673 to a TV in another room. (Our house's prior owners put in nice speakers there and ran cable...but only composite video cable! And there's no easy way to run new HDMI cables, hence the Nyrius.) The Nyrius is working fine. When a Roku is connected to it, the images and sound appear on the TV in the other room.

The 673 is also working fine; it's driving the speakers and, when connected to a separate monitor in the same room, images are on the screen. Lovely!

But when I connect the 673 to the Nyrius, it doesn't connect. The "HDMI Out" light never comes on, which it does when connected to a local monitor. Consequently, I can get sound but no video in the room!

HDMI-CEC is off.
Video processing is off (set to Direct).
Monitor Check (in Advanced Settings) is set to Skip.
I've upgraded to Firmware 1.85.
I suspected a HDMI handshake issue, and swapped cables around and brought in new ones. No better result.

What else can I try to get this working?

Thanks in advance for your kind help!

-D
post #3578 of 3578 Unread Today, 07:30 AM

Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProsperoDGC View Post
Hi everyone,

I just got the 673 and have run into a very odd problem! Hoping you wise sages can help!

I have to use a Nyrius Aries Home+ wireless transmitter to beam video from the 673 to a TV in another room. (Our house's prior owners put in nice speakers there and ran cable...but only composite video cable! And there's no easy way to run new HDMI cables, hence the Nyrius.) The Nyrius is working fine. When a Roku is connected to it, the images and sound appear on the TV in the other room.

The 673 is also working fine; it's driving the speakers and, when connected to a separate monitor in the same room, images are on the screen. Lovely!

But when I connect the 673 to the Nyrius, it doesn't connect. The "HDMI Out" light never comes on, which it does when connected to a local monitor. Consequently, I can get sound but no video in the room!

HDMI-CEC is off.
Video processing is off (set to Direct).
Monitor Check (in Advanced Settings) is set to Skip.
I've upgraded to Firmware 1.85.
I suspected a HDMI handshake issue, and swapped cables around and brought in new ones. No better result.

What else can I try to get this working?

Thanks in advance for your kind help!

-D
It could be an HDCP issue. HDCP is a steaming pile of #@!$ intended to stop high definition digital copying, but all it really accomplishes is to make things difficult for home users who don't intend to make such copies. If the Nyrius isn't HDCP, then the 673 may be refusing to talk to it. I don't know whether this is your problem, though--just pointing out the possibility.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V673 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page