The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 121 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #3601 of 3610 Old 02-13-2015, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarR View Post
What for me has worked is to add a 2 second delay and again the correct input command for the Yamaha in the activity on the Harmony.
With my Sony AVR even a 20 sec delay was not enough. I could not find any way to make it work connected to the AVR. With it connected to the TV, its perfect. 99% of the time I'm watchin FiOS or a Smarthub app such as Netflix. Both are the same "TV" input. Its always on the correct setting. I've used a Harmony One for many years and am glad I no longer need it. The CEC and Samsung Universal Remote work everything perfectly. Best setup Ive ever had!

BE aware that when connected to TV instead of AVR very well may limit you to 2 CH audio. My setup has a nice work around for that. If I didnt, I'd still be looking for a different fix.

Last edited by sjm817; 02-13-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 3610 Old 02-13-2015, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by encendido5 View Post
Haha, yeah, I think that's the consensus I'm coming to as well. It sounds like a good idea on paper, but in practice, it's just not fleshed out well yet.

I just use ARC for all the TV apps. I actually use Youtube, Netflix, and Vudu pretty frequently now that they are easy to use. I could use an optical cable, but I thought I read that 5.1 was limited through it. I'll have to mess around with it to see what the best settings would be.
IME ARC = Optical in function and limitations. The only difference is the physical connection.
post #3603 of 3610 Old 02-16-2015, 03:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an HTPC connected to my RX-V673 over HDMI. The HTPC has Realtek onboard audio and Intel HD 4600 video (Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H mobo).

If I just let the audio pass through the PC and have the receiver do the processing, which is obviously preferable, I run into a small issue from time to time. The audio will drop out for a fraction of a second, and the receiver screen will change from "Dolby Digital" to "Decoder Off" while this is happening. The weirdest part is it is not random; it happens at fixed places in certain media files only. For example it will happen at 19:45-19:46 on a certain media file, I can play that section again and it will happen at exactly the same place. It is typically places where the background noise in the movie drops to almost nothing, and the dialogue too gets very quiet, for example the actor is mumbling. I read about the silent stream bug and excitedly thought that was my problem, but unfortunately I don't think it is, since the fix in that thread does not change anything, nor does the integrated setting in XBMC to "keep audio device alive."

The problem occurs in multiple media players that pass through pure Dolby Digital sound. In other media players that do their own processing, they pass PCM to the receiver and the problem does not exist! But obviously this is not a solution since I was to pass a pure signal to receiver.

Any ideas? Thanks!
post #3604 of 3610 Old 03-01-2015, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Yamaha RX-V673 for a few years now,and I'm looking to upgrade to some more powerful DIY speakers.I notice I have no where to hook an extra amp to power these.What are my options,if any,other than upgrading my reciever.
post #3605 of 3610 Old 03-01-2015, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by freekmccoy View Post
I have the Yamaha RX-V673 for a few years now,and I'm looking to upgrade to some more powerful DIY speakers.I notice I have no where to hook an extra amp to power these.What are my options,if any,other than upgrading my reciever.
None that I am aware of.
post #3606 of 3610 Old Today, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yamaha RX-V673 + Soundbar

Hi guys,

Hoping someone can help me.

I've currently a RX-V673 (which I love) and a Dali 5.1 speaker set. We're having some work done to our house which means I can no longer run wires across the room (we're also expecting a child, so need to save some space) - as a result, I'm looking at getting the Yamaha YSP-2500 sound bar as a compromise.

One question I have, is wether I can keep the RX-V673? The reason I want to do this is the YSP-2500 "only" has 3 HDMI inputs, but I have more than three devices. So, I was hoping I could keep all my devices plugged in to the Yamaha. As the V673 doesn't have any Audio out (right?) I was wondering wether the HDMI out would pass the DD/DTS signal up to the TV which I could then pick up from the TV optical out and connect that to the YSP-2500? (hopefully that makes sense!)

Any advice greatly appreciated.
post #3607 of 3610 Old Today, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Doran View Post
Hi guys,

Hoping someone can help me.

I've currently a RX-V673 (which I love) and a Dali 5.1 speaker set. We're having some work done to our house which means I can no longer run wires across the room (we're also expecting a child, so need to save some space) - as a result, I'm looking at getting the Yamaha YSP-2500 sound bar as a compromise.

One question I have, is wether I can keep the RX-V673? The reason I want to do this is the YSP-2500 "only" has 3 HDMI inputs, but I have more than three devices. So, I was hoping I could keep all my devices plugged in to the Yamaha. As the V673 doesn't have any Audio out (right?) I was wondering wether the HDMI out would pass the DD/DTS signal up to the TV which I could then pick up from the TV optical out and connect that to the YSP-2500? (hopefully that makes sense!)

Any advice greatly appreciated.
That should work ok to get sound. But beware many tvs will down convert any 5.1 signal from an external device and output 2.0 from the optical port.
Also optical does not support lossless audio (DTS Master Audio, Dolby True HD).
post #3608 of 3610 Unread Today, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
That should work ok to get sound. But beware many tvs will down convert any 5.1 signal from an external device and output 2.0 from the optical port.
Also optical does not support lossless audio (DTS Master Audio, Dolby True HD).
Thanks. So does that mean that the receiver will send 5.1 down the HDMI out? I can check separately if the TV will output 5.1 (I think it does)
post #3609 of 3610 Unread Today, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks. So does that mean that the receiver will send 5.1 down the HDMI out? I can check separately if the TV will output 5.1 (I think it does)
Now that I think about it I'm not certain.
ARC supports 5.1. It goes from tv to AVR so why not from AVR to tv.
The soundbar won't support true 5.1 either of course.
If you have to get a soundbar you can probably do better for your money than the Yamaha. They tend to be overpriced. Unfortunately specs for soundbars tend to be hard to find. They dont want you to realize how limited they are. Do your research.
Have you though about using the 673 in a 3.1 setup? Would cut down on the wires and sound a lot better than a soundbar.
post #3610 of 3610 Unread Today, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:

You can even have the 673 turned off (with Standby Through enabled) and it will pass the selected HDMI input to its output.

But there are also plenty of cheap HDMI switches you could buy instead of using the 673.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V673 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page