The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 124 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 42Likes

post #3691 of 3841 Old 12-08-2015, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HDMI problems (I think) with V675

HELP! Please!

My setup (which was working fine until a few hours ago!):

Yamaha TSR-6750 (aka RX-V675)
Panasonic VIERA TC-P65ST50 65-inch TV
Cox Communications Cisco Cable box/DVR
Sony BD player
JBL speakers

The Yamaha is the heart of the system, with the two components plugged into it via HDMI, and the output of the AVR plugged into the ARC HDMI input of the TV.

It had been working fine just like this for years until a power outage for about 30 minutes this afternoon. Now, I don't get picture or sound from either of the sources through the receiver to the TV and speakers. Picture is black, and occasionally a green screen with some snow pops up then disappears to black again. No audio.

When I unplug the HDMI cable from the TV, sound from the cable box plays through the receiver's speakers for a few seconds, then stops.

I've plugged the cable box straight into the TV, and get an image, so the box and TV are fine. The problem seems to be the HDMI handshaking between the components.

I use a Harmony remote, and the order in which it powers them up has always worked, but not now. I've tried powering them up in other orders, but without success.

I haven't tried a factory reset on the receiver, since I didn't want to have to redo my speaker settings unless I have to. Would a reset help?

Any ideas on fixing this? Any thoughts why a power outage would have caused this?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 3841 Old 12-08-2015, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by the5rivers View Post
I am in a similar situation. I have the 673 and I have purchased the 65JS8500 and wanted to know how to properly hook up the receiver to this tv. Is there a good place to read up on this? Any help would be appreciated. I am going to try searching the thread as well. Thanks!
I have the same setup as you. I started out plugging everything into the TV and using HDMI 4 and ARC to the receiver. This is a crappy option as you can only get DD 5.1 out of the TV even if you use the optical cable to TV-in on the receiver. I have put everything back as I had it before with my non-smart TV. I have DirecTV and PS3 going to the receiver and then onto the TV via HDMI out to HDMI 1 on the mini hub. I am using the PS3 for Netflix and Amazon and no the TV. This is the only way to get better sound. I am running pass thur for the video. I am no expert in this. Other advice is welcome.
post #3693 of 3841 Old 12-08-2015, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWIII View Post
I have the same setup as you. I started out plugging everything into the TV and using HDMI 4 and ARC to the receiver. This is a crappy option as you can only get DD 5.1 out of the TV even if you use the optical cable to TV-in on the receiver. I have put everything back as I had it before with my non-smart TV. I have DirecTV and PS3 going to the receiver and then onto the TV via HDMI out to HDMI 1 on the mini hub. I am using the PS3 for Netflix and Amazon and no the TV. This is the only way to get better sound. I am running pass thur for the video. I am no expert in this. Other advice is welcome.
yeah, after researching a bit more, I think I am just going to leave everything the way it is and use my AVR but in passthrough mode. If it somehow degrades the picture, then will connect it directly to the tv and use the optical, but there are so many other factors involved in regards to PQ. I think it should work fine the way it is. I read numerous other posters are doing the same thing with no problems. Will report back once I have my tv in a few weeks.
post #3694 of 3841 Old 12-09-2015, 09:55 AM

Liked: 11
For anyone reading my post above (#3691), I managed to fix the problem, although I'm not completely clear how. Not getting an answer from anyone here, I did a factory reset, but it didn't make a difference. I unplugged all of the HDMI connections, and left the unit unplugged from mains power for a couple of hours, then replugged everything as before. When it powered up it said there was a firmware update, so I ran that, and after that things worked. Go figure.

Thanks anyway.
post #3695 of 3841 Old 12-09-2015, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Glad you got it working. Sometimes these things just fix themselves with no rhythm or reason.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
post #3696 of 3841 Old 12-14-2015, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I have RX-V673, when I send 4k 60hz thru it, what happens?
post #3697 of 3841 Old 12-16-2015, 07:38 AM

Liked: 0
I have a Harmony 1100 remote that I use to control a DirecTV HR34-700, Yamaha RX-V673 receiver and a Sharp LC-70LE640U.

I have had this setup with no issues or changes for a number of months.

A couple of weeks ago I started to get very distorted sound after fast forwarding DVR recordings, the speakers sound like they are blown or something. Powering off/on the RX-V673 always resolves the problem but it is a PITA to have to do that multiple times when trying to watch a recorded show. It is like the signal (IR) to FF the DVR is also raising the volume but there is no visual indication of that. It makes no difference which remote I use to do the FF (Harmony or DirecTV).

I read another thread that indicated there was a problem with HBO but this issue is with all recordings.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
post #3698 of 3841 Old 12-16-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raudraido View Post
So, I have RX-V673, when I send 4k 60hz thru it, what happens?
I would like to know this as well. These older receivers advertise '4K pass thru' on the literature. What does that mean today in real world usage?

post #3699 of 3841 Old 12-16-2015, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
So I just upgrade one of my receivers to the 677 and moved the 673 to another room. I ran YPAO setup on the 673 and changed the front speakers to small so that the subwoofer would be detected. During the YPAO setup the subwoofer was detected and sent out the appropriate tones, etc. Now, however, the subwoofer is not responsive at all - no matter what is being played. If I go into Setup > Speaker > Manual > Test Tone and run it, the subwoofer does not respond at all when a tone is sent to it. However, if I run the YPAO setup again, it functions as expected. Any ideas as to what is going on here?

Thanks, in advance.
post #3700 of 3841 Old 12-16-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post
I would like to know this as well. These older receivers advertise '4K pass thru' on the literature. What does that mean today in real world usage?

I haven't passed any 4K content thru the receiver, however, I have tried the upscaling on the receiver. I wasn't very impressed as it only upscales at 24Hz - why I am not sure. I eventually turned it off as the content was juddering. I also have a 677 and it handles the upscaling much better - converting it to 60Hz.
post #3701 of 3841 Old 12-16-2015, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by azscott View Post
So I just upgrade one of my receivers to the 677 and moved the 673 to another room. I ran YPAO setup on the 673 and changed the front speakers to small so that the subwoofer would be detected. During the YPAO setup the subwoofer was detected and sent out the appropriate tones, etc. Now, however, the subwoofer is not responsive at all - no matter what is being played. If I go into Setup > Speaker > Manual > Test Tone and run it, the subwoofer does not respond at all when a tone is sent to it. However, if I run the YPAO setup again, it functions as expected. Any ideas as to what is going on here?

Thanks, in advance.
Did you check to see what db level it was setting the sub at? I remember when I ran the YPAO when I first got the 673 it set the sub so low I could barely hear it. I wasn't impressed with the YPAO settings and ended up manually changing to my tastes.
azscott likes this.
post #3702 of 3841 Old 12-16-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post
Did you check to see what db level it was setting the sub at? I remember when I ran the YPAO when I first got the 673 it set the sub so low I could barely hear it. I wasn't impressed with the YPAO settings and ended up manually changing to my tastes.

Thanks for the reply. I checked the level and moved it up to 8db and still no sound coming out of the sub. Clear it's not the sub as it works during the YPAO setup. I hope my receiver isn't hosed. I recently updated the firmware - although it appeared to successfully update it. Could that have messed things up?
post #3703 of 3841 Old 12-16-2015, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

I suppose that's possible but since it works during calibration I'm guessing it's something else. Is the sub set to "Use"? What is your crossover setting at?

You can also try resetting the receiver and running again if neither of these seem to be set wrong.
http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/...k_u/10296/7580
azscott likes this.
post #3704 of 3841 Old 12-16-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post
I suppose that's possible but since it works during calibration I'm guessing it's something else. Is the sub set to "Use"? What is your crossover setting at?

You can also try resetting the receiver and running again if neither of these seem to be set wrong.
So, I am not sure what happened, but I went and played a concert video and the sub immediately kicked on! I did increase the levels from earlier, but I didn't seem to hear it when using the Testing Tone. I am guessing that the levels had something to do with it.

Thank you very much for the help!
post #3705 of 3841 Old 12-16-2015, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

You're welcome, glad to hear you've got it sorted.
post #3706 of 3841 Old 12-20-2015, 06:03 PM

Does anyone know how the 'Mono Movie' DSP works? I was watching an old movie from the 1960s and in Straight it showed DD5.1. I changed it to Mono thinking it would cut out all the speakers except the center channel but instead it turned on all seven of my speakers. So, How do I downmix a surround sound old movie to a more appropriate mono soundtrack?

post #3707 of 3841 Old 12-20-2015, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Does anyone know how the 'Mono Movie' DSP works? I was watching an old movie from the 1960s and in Straight it showed DD5.1. I changed it to Mono thinking it would cut out all the speakers except the center channel but instead it turned on all seven of my speakers. So, How do I downmix a surround sound old movie to a more appropriate mono soundtrack?

I would think you'd need to select a DD1.0 track and put the receiver in straight or pure direct to get just a single speaker. I don't think I have any mono movies to test with.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #3708 of 3841 Old 12-20-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post
I would think you'd need to select a DD1.0 track and put the receiver in straight or pure direct to get just a single speaker. I don't think I have any mono movies to test with.
I understand how to do that on a physical disc but this was a broadcast on cable TV so not an option. It was my understanding that the mono movie DSP would downmix multichannel surround to mono.

Not a huge deal but just wandering if anyone else had tried to do this.

post #3709 of 3841 Old 12-20-2015, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
I understand how to do that on a physical disc but this was a broadcast on cable TV so not an option. It was my understanding that the mono movie DSP would downmix multichannel surround to mono.

Not a huge deal but just wandering if anyone else had tried to do this.

I think the Mono DSP is supposed to make a mono source sound more like surround sound.

From the manual:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-V673 Manual
This program reproduces monaural video sources, such as classic movies, in an atmosphere of a good old movie theater. The program creates a pleasant space with depth, by adding breadth and the appropriate reverberation to the original audio.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #3710 of 3841 Old 12-20-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post
I think the Mono DSP is supposed to make a mono source sound more like surround sound.

From the manual:
Ok thanks for that! It does the opposite of what I thought it did.

post #3711 of 3841 Old 12-24-2015, 10:29 AM

What's the difference between "Bass Cross Over" in the Manual Setup section and the crossover value shown in the Auto Setup section under the size subheading? Over the sub graphic it shows 110Hz and in Bass crossover I have it set to 100. Why the difference?

post #3712 of 3841 Old 12-27-2015, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Delayed Sound when powering on

I have a RX-V673. When powered on, it can take several seconds to several minutes for the sound to come on. Video shows up with no problems. Happens with all inputs and outputs (tested it with my speakers and also through headphones). There are 2 HDMI inputs (from Cable Box and from PS3) and one HDMI output to TV as well as to a Bose Acoustimass Speaker System.
post #3713 of 3841 Old 12-27-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sloca View Post
I have a RX-V673. When powered on, it can take several seconds to several minutes for the sound to come on. Video shows up with no problems. Happens with all inputs and outputs (tested it with my speakers and also through headphones). There are 2 HDMI inputs (from Cable Box and from PS3) and one HDMI output to TV as well as to a Bose Acoustimass Speaker System.
That's not normal. My sound comes on in about 5 secs. Not sure what's going on though maybe some others can chime in.

post #3714 of 3841 Old 12-27-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
That's not normal. My sound comes on in about 5 secs. Not sure what's going on though maybe some others can chime in.

Mine used to...started happening like 2 or 3 months ago. Once the sound does come on, I can switch between devices with no issues. It's not until the device is powered off/on again that it has an issue (so I can literally leave it on and it works fine, but I can't shut it off). The time lapse for the sound to come on after powering on varies. There doesn't seem to be any consistency with it. Could be 1 min, could be 30.
post #3715 of 3841 Old 12-27-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:

Mine used to...started happening like 2 or 3 months ago. Once the sound does come on, I can switch between devices with no issues. It's not until the device is powered off/on again that it has an issue (so I can literally leave it on and it works fine, but I can't shut it off). The time lapse for the sound to come on after powering on varies. There doesn't seem to be any consistency with it. Could be 1 min, could be 30.
post #3716 of 3841 Old 12-27-2015, 12:01 PM

Update, I've updated the firmware which appeared to have gotten corrupted. Seems to have fixed the problem.
post #3717 of 3841 Old 12-28-2015, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Does anyone else have screen burn issues with the inputs that show static on-screen content? Like Pandora and AirPlay - it's nice to leave the TV on so I can see the song info but at the same time, doing this too often led to some screen burn. Obviously, a plasma TV is overkill for seeing the "now playing" info or even for controlling with the buttons but it's better than using the receiver's front panel. I guess I'm wondering why Yamaha doesn't have the display go a screensaver mode where, for example, the song info floats on the screen with all of the other content hidden until you hit a button.

I do use the Yamaha app on my iPhone and it works okay with Pandora - so I can shut off the TV for that. And with AirPlay, when playing from that phone, of course, I can control the song selections that way. But it does seem like I should be able to use the receiver's own front end to control and show this info.

I keep updating the firmware hoping that Yamaha will add some feature. But I updated to the most recent firmware yesterday and that functionality remains the same. Has anyone figured out a way to improve these apps/inputs? Any settings to be changed? Any ability to load alternate versions of apps that are smarter?
post #3718 of 3841 Old 12-28-2015, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_truesdale View Post
Does anyone else have screen burn issues with the inputs that show static on-screen content? Like Pandora and AirPlay - it's nice to leave the TV on so I can see the song info but at the same time, doing this too often led to some screen burn. Obviously, a plasma TV is overkill for seeing the "now playing" info or even for controlling with the buttons but it's better than using the receiver's front panel. I guess I'm wondering why Yamaha doesn't have the display go a screensaver mode where, for example, the song info floats on the screen with all of the other content hidden until you hit a button.

I do use the Yamaha app on my iPhone and it works okay with Pandora - so I can shut off the TV for that. And with AirPlay, when playing from that phone, of course, I can control the song selections that way. But it does seem like I should be able to use the receiver's own front end to control and show this info.

I keep updating the firmware hoping that Yamaha will add some feature. But I updated to the most recent firmware yesterday and that functionality remains the same. Has anyone figured out a way to improve these apps/inputs? Any settings to be changed? Any ability to load alternate versions of apps that are smarter?
The screen saver can be handled by your TV.

LN55C630
PN64F8500
Definitive SSA-50
GE Supercinema 3D Array X
Paradigm Millenia CT
post #3719 of 3841 Old 12-28-2015, 08:54 AM

I don't think Yamaha will add any new functionality to these older receivers. From a business standpoint, it doesn't benefit them. They want you to buy the new stuff!

The latest streaming apps are kept up to date and have better UIs with external streamers or Blu-ray player boxes.

ktbos likes this.
post #3720 of 3841 Old 12-28-2015, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpp8140 View Post
The screen saver can be handled by your TV.
That misses the point - I'd like the song info visible.

I also have a Samsung 64" plasma (if I am reading your TV model number correctly) so what do you do about screensaving?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver
Gear in this thread