Originally Posted by ken_truesdale
Great news Brente. Even though I wasn't having the problem and we don't know what is different about my setup from yours, it's still good to know that it is less likely we'll have the problem in the future. And the best news is that Netflix is sending you things to test. That's some amazing responsiveness.
I was thinking about this problem the other day and I wonder if part of the reason the receiver shuts down is that whatever packet that is causing trouble from Netflix is conflicting with the receiver's attempt to let any potential apps on the network know where it is. I know when I turn on the Yamaha app on my iPad and the receiver is off, the app shows just demo devices. But then when I switch on the receiver, the app finds it. And if I remember correctly, I didn't need to do anything to tell the app where to find the receiver. Which means that the receiver is sending out a "I'm over here" to the network hoping something will find it? And perhaps if that "I'm over here" is met with a bludgeoning from a malfunctioning Netflix packet, the receiver turtles until the attack is over?
It's also interesting thinking about this in relation to the other point above about Pandora failing frequently. That does happen to me. And maybe there are other times the Yamaha receiver turtles and perhaps for briefer periods that is responsible for Pandora shutting down.
Yeah, no clue as to exactly what is happening. I was able to reproduce the problem with a network configuration with just a PC set to a static IP, connected to a switch, connected to the Yamaha with a static IP, and sending the bad request packet. So, it seems to be happening internal to the Yamaha and not caused by other devices on the network. One guess is that the network controller code does no checking of the data that it is receiving, assumes that it is in the right syntax (why would it be wrong?
), tries to operate with the data it receives, but then the network code crashes, eventually recovering and coming back online (repeat). The way that the network interface completely loses it's connectivity indicates a serious fault.
I did a check to see what the Yamaha app does, and yes, it does seem to make some similar requests on the network, but they are all correctly formed. No idea about the Pandora problem - could probably capture network traffic and then stop after Pandora fails, then review what happened just before it stops working. Although, unless something jumps out at you as being obvious, it may take a while to nail down (and that's assuming that it is network related and not an internal issue in the receiver).
I was contacted by a guy at Yamaha, but haven't connected with him yet, so curious as to what he has to say...