The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 127 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

post #3781 of 3811 Old 04-12-2016, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xyota View Post
tried that...no joy seems the decoder is fubar. all I have is Straight, 2ch stereo or 7ch stereo, no Dolby of any sort

If the front panel reads Straight, 2ch Stereo etc. then it's currently set to show the sound mode, not the decoder. Press INFO repeatedly until it says "Audio Decoder", then shortly afterwards the display will switch to show the current audio decoder. Page 77 of the 673 manual.
ChromeJob likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 3811 Old 04-12-2016, 11:54 AM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
If the front panel reads Straight, 2ch Stereo etc. then it's currently set to show the sound mode, not the decoder. Press INFO repeatedly until it says "Audio Decoder", then shortly afterwards the display will switch to show the current audio decoder. Page 77 of the 673 manual.
ah...had tried that but didn't wait long enough for the 'audio decoder' to switch on its own...duh.
thanks, working now
post #3783 of 3811 Old 04-13-2016, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by brente View Post
I got lucky and reached the right people at Netflix, and it looks like we might see a fix to the Netflix iOS app sooner rather than later (will know more later on this week). I think that even when Netflix fixes their bug, unless Yamaha issues a firmware update that handles the issue more gracefully than they do now (assuming that they can fix it with a firmware update), any other app or device that has a similar bug will cause trouble (and I would think that they do exist). I sent the info to Yamaha, and will see if they respond after reviewing it...
Yeah. Right. I've heard that before. I'd be dead if I held my breath waiting on Netflix or Yamaha. But thanks for your efforts, maybe you'll be the tipping point.

“Hey, Jenny Slater. Hey, Jenny Slater. HEY, Jenny Slater.
A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550.

post #3784 of 3811 Old 04-14-2016, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Yeah. Right. I've heard that before. I'd be dead if I held my breath waiting on Netflix or Yamaha. But thanks for your efforts, maybe you'll be the tipping point.

Ha ha ha! I sense a skeptic...

Well, I will say that Netflix is coming through. I tested a fix last night that they gave me, and they did solve the problem (it's an easy fix, and the reproducibility makes it simple to test to confirm) - my Yamaha was rock solid. Not sure exactly the timeframe for deployment or logistics, but it's really really soon (will know more shortly).

Regarding Yamaha... Yeah, I don't expect to hear back from them anytime soon. I also discovered that, in addition to Yamaha, Denon/Marantz and even Pioneer use the same network/multimedia Microchip Technology chipset, so more than likely that all receivers/preamps from these companies (!) are affected by the issue (I also tried contacting Marantz, but no response yet). So, while there is a bug that Netflix can fix on their end, if any other apps or devices have a similar bug, these devices are still susceptible. No clue whether Yamaha/Denon/Marantz/Pioneer can address handling the issue more gracefully via a firmware update or not...
post #3785 of 3811 Old 04-15-2016, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Well, I will say that Netflix is coming through. I tested a fix last night that they gave me, and they did solve the problem (it's an easy fix, and the reproducibility makes it simple to test to confirm) - my Yamaha was rock solid. Not sure exactly the timeframe for deployment or logistics, but it's really really soon (will know more shortly).

Regarding Yamaha... Yeah, I don't expect to hear back from them anytime soon. I also discovered that, in addition to Yamaha, Denon/Marantz and even Pioneer use the same network/multimedia Microchip Technology chipset, so more than likely that all receivers/preamps from these companies (!) are affected by the issue (I also tried contacting Marantz, but no response yet). So, while there is a bug that Netflix can fix on their end, if any other apps or devices have a similar bug, these devices are still susceptible. No clue whether Yamaha/Denon/Marantz/Pioneer can address handling the issue more gracefully via a firmware update or not...
Great news Brente. Even though I wasn't having the problem and we don't know what is different about my setup from yours, it's still good to know that it is less likely we'll have the problem in the future. And the best news is that Netflix is sending you things to test. That's some amazing responsiveness.

I was thinking about this problem the other day and I wonder if part of the reason the receiver shuts down is that whatever packet that is causing trouble from Netflix is conflicting with the receiver's attempt to let any potential apps on the network know where it is. I know when I turn on the Yamaha app on my iPad and the receiver is off, the app shows just demo devices. But then when I switch on the receiver, the app finds it. And if I remember correctly, I didn't need to do anything to tell the app where to find the receiver. Which means that the receiver is sending out a "I'm over here" to the network hoping something will find it? And perhaps if that "I'm over here" is met with a bludgeoning from a malfunctioning Netflix packet, the receiver turtles until the attack is over?

It's also interesting thinking about this in relation to the other point above about Pandora failing frequently. That does happen to me. And maybe there are other times the Yamaha receiver turtles and perhaps for briefer periods that is responsible for Pandora shutting down.
post #3786 of 3811 Old 04-15-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_truesdale View Post
Great news Brente. Even though I wasn't having the problem and we don't know what is different about my setup from yours, it's still good to know that it is less likely we'll have the problem in the future. And the best news is that Netflix is sending you things to test. That's some amazing responsiveness.

I was thinking about this problem the other day and I wonder if part of the reason the receiver shuts down is that whatever packet that is causing trouble from Netflix is conflicting with the receiver's attempt to let any potential apps on the network know where it is. I know when I turn on the Yamaha app on my iPad and the receiver is off, the app shows just demo devices. But then when I switch on the receiver, the app finds it. And if I remember correctly, I didn't need to do anything to tell the app where to find the receiver. Which means that the receiver is sending out a "I'm over here" to the network hoping something will find it? And perhaps if that "I'm over here" is met with a bludgeoning from a malfunctioning Netflix packet, the receiver turtles until the attack is over?

It's also interesting thinking about this in relation to the other point above about Pandora failing frequently. That does happen to me. And maybe there are other times the Yamaha receiver turtles and perhaps for briefer periods that is responsible for Pandora shutting down.

Yeah, no clue as to exactly what is happening. I was able to reproduce the problem with a network configuration with just a PC set to a static IP, connected to a switch, connected to the Yamaha with a static IP, and sending the bad request packet. So, it seems to be happening internal to the Yamaha and not caused by other devices on the network. One guess is that the network controller code does no checking of the data that it is receiving, assumes that it is in the right syntax (why would it be wrong? ), tries to operate with the data it receives, but then the network code crashes, eventually recovering and coming back online (repeat). The way that the network interface completely loses it's connectivity indicates a serious fault.

I did a check to see what the Yamaha app does, and yes, it does seem to make some similar requests on the network, but they are all correctly formed. No idea about the Pandora problem - could probably capture network traffic and then stop after Pandora fails, then review what happened just before it stops working. Although, unless something jumps out at you as being obvious, it may take a while to nail down (and that's assuming that it is network related and not an internal issue in the receiver).

I was contacted by a guy at Yamaha, but haven't connected with him yet, so curious as to what he has to say...
post #3787 of 3811 Old 04-17-2016, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Alas, I suspect the Yamaha network circuitry/software is pretty weak. Pandora usually loses connection in a few minutes to an hour, Airplay from an iOS device only lasts for a couple of songs. Can't recall if I've been able to play DLNA from an NAS hard-wired to the router for an extended time.

I've been using a router in wireless bridge mode to connect, wondered if a YWA-10BL from Yamaha would work any better. No way I'm paying that much for such a limited wi-fi adapter.
I determined that my cheap second router supports DD-WRT, so I flashed it. Previously I had the Asus RT-N10P operating as a repeating bridge. With DD-WRT I made it a client bridge, not accepting any wi-fi connections. => Pandora on the RXV775 now plays for hours without dreaded access errors. So that's fixed.

But Airplay from an iPod still stops and starts frequently. I'm still convinced that the Yamaha network implementation is haphazard at best. A-OK for the AV Controller app on iOS and Android, but for streaming ... meh.

A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.

post #3788 of 3811 Old 04-19-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:

Netflix did indeed release a fix for the bug that they had, and released it into the wild. There are two ways to get it: (1) launch the Netflix iOS app, and it should download the updated settings that it needs, or (2) download the iOS app update that was released today (8.3.0), which will also force an update to their settings and correct the bug. To ensure that you have the updated settings, if you tap the menu button in the upper left-hand corner of the Netflix app, scroll to the bottom, and check the version number, it should show at least "4.2.10-1" after the app version number. You should now be able to use the Netflix iOS app without causing the network functionality in the Yamaha receiver (or others) to crash...
ktbos likes this.
post #3789 of 3811 Old 04-24-2016, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Lee View Post
I have a special problem with my 673. If the unit goes into standby overnight when i try to use it in the morning the audio doesnt work. If i send it a signal for 20-30mins, the audio starts to cut in and out accompanied by pops and crackles. If i use pure direct mode there are no pops or crackles but the audio continues to cut in and out. After about an hour the audio will stop cutting in and out and no pops or crackles.

This issue started when i tried to update the firmware. As many other experienced, i got an error. I then tried usb and got errors over and over, with all fw versions. I finally reset the unit to factory default and was then able to sucessfully install fw version 1.80. Everything seemed to work, until the next morning after the unit had been in standby...

Everything worked almost flawlessly before attempting the fw update. The only issue i had was airplay not working well. I never had issues w audio cutting in and out or pops and crackles. Now yamaha says i need to repair the unit. What a disappointment. Right this moment as i type the audio is working great...hasnt cut out in a while...its when the unit has NOT been processing a signal over time e.g. overnight that seems to cause the problem. If i send it a signal all day it seems to work well, last night i watched an entire movie with zero drops, but then this morning same behavior as described above - cuts in and out with pops and crackles for about one hour.

I am confused as to why a firmware update would do this and fear my hardware may be going bad - but that doesnt make sense considering i had no signal drop issues prior to trying to upgrade the firmware. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I have exactly the same problem. However when I start to turn on/off the power I am getting the clear sound after 5-10 minutes. How old is your receiver ?
post #3790 of 3811 Old 05-11-2016, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Hey guys, does anyone know of a shortcut to get to the volume levels for individual speakers? The sub specifically. I always need to raise and lower it depending on the day/night/baby. Is the only way to go to Setup/manual setup/level/sub/etc?
post #3791 of 3811 Old 05-11-2016, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I am not sure, but I think you might be able to lower the volume levels on one of the presets, so then you would simply switch from one preset to another.

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here, and here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #3792 of 3811 Old 05-11-2016, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
Hey guys, does anyone know of a shortcut to get to the volume levels for individual speakers? The sub specifically. I always need to raise and lower it depending on the day/night/baby. Is the only way to go to Setup/manual setup/level/sub/etc?
Try the option button to see if there is tone control or bass adjustments depending on the Yamaha model. from there You can also adjust DSP or press the movie or music buttons repeatedly for a quick result of something that suits.
post #3793 of 3811 Old 05-21-2016, 11:54 AM

AV trouble with AppleTV and some other devices.

I have all of my HDMI inputs routed through the receiver, and from time to time, my AppleTV (most utilized) and sometimes my XboxOne will go dark on the TV, audio still plays, and the image usually comes back after a couple of seconds. Has anybody seen similar behavior or can think of an option that might help if changed? Thanks!
post #3794 of 3811 Old 05-21-2016, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo83 View Post
I have all of my HDMI inputs routed through the receiver, and from time to time, my AppleTV (most utilized) and sometimes my XboxOne will go dark on the TV, audio still plays, and the image usually comes back after a couple of seconds. Has anybody seen similar behavior or can think of an option that might help if changed? Thanks!
First try different cables between AppleTV, Xbox and AV receiver.
Make sure HDMI cables are fully seated in components as well as TV. Scrub back and forth when seating.
You can try a different HDMI input on the TV. They say HDMI 1 is often the best, but you can try others.
Finally you can fiddle with resolution settings on your AppleTV and Xbox, and video processing settings on your Yamaha.
post #3795 of 3811 Old 06-15-2016, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Anyone know the HDMI versions for the ports on the Yamaha RX-V673? 1.4a / 2.0???
post #3796 of 3811 Old 06-15-2016, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Connected a Roku 4 to a 4K TV Vizio M55-C2 through the RX-V673 and got an error from Roku to connect to HDCP 2.2 HDMI port. Had to connect it directly from Roku to TV to get it to work and use optical to receiver for audio.

Assume RX-V673 needs a HDCP 2.2 compliant port for pass through from Roku 4 to 4K TV to work? Do I need to buy a new receiver for this to work (Roku 4>Receiver>4K TV)?
Has anyone got Roku 4 pass through to 4K TV to work with any Yamaha receiver?

Thanks
post #3797 of 3811 Old 06-17-2016, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by efsulliv View Post
Anyone know the HDMI versions for the ports on the Yamaha RX-V673? 1.4a / 2.0???
Should be in the manual towards the beginning. I don't have a copy nearby, but you can download it.
efsulliv likes this.

post #3798 of 3811 Old 07-10-2016, 01:45 AM

Horizontal distortion lines running down screen

Hi
My RX-V673 is connected to a Hisense 65" smart TV.
I play movies (using VLC) through the A/V via HDMI and get a horizontal distortion line running down the screen continuously. Line is only a few pixels thick and takes about 5 seconds to get to the bottom then starts again, kinds like a refresh thing.
TV is a 100hz device while laptop is running at 60hz.
Connect the laptop directly to the TV and no line so has something to do with the A/V device.

I hope someone can help me with this.

TIA
post #3799 of 3811 Old 07-10-2016, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Try changing the video resolution to Through, pg. 95 of the manual

You'll have to change video mode to Processing to test this.
ChromeJob likes this.

Last edited by djc11369; 07-10-2016 at 06:14 AM.
post #3800 of 3811 Old 07-25-2016, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 49
My Dad just started using AirPlay with his 673, and has run into the dreaded connectivity problems. He currently has firmware v1.91. Is there an older firmware that we could attempt to get from Yamaha that would allow the unit to stay connected to AirPlay?

His iPad has the latest iOS. I turned off the connected standby, as before doing that, we'd have to pull power on the Yamaha to get it to connect again. Now, a simple power cycle gets it going, but he still looses AirPlay after a song or two. What's interesting, when it's in the state where AirPlay can't connect, we can still ping the receiver and connect to it via the Yamaha app.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #3801 of 3811 Old 08-01-2016, 04:54 PM

Dallas Lee,

Good Morning! I'm not in your country. I'm from Brazil. Apologies if get complicated understanding of my writing.

I saw on the AVS forum that you have to fix your yamaha receiver rx-v 673. And that was replacing a card.

Here in Brazil we have this model import. It is not sold in Brazil. And we are also in trouble, at least one colleague had problems.

forum link where we discussed the subject: htforum.com/forum/threads/clube-yamaha.16040/page-827#post-7112736

My login there is soaoga.

What I would like to know is what was the cause of your problem? What yamaha argued about what caused the problem in your receiver?

Grateful,

soaoga
post #3802 of 3811 Old 08-01-2016, 04:58 PM

Dallas Lee,

post #3765 of 3801 Old 03-10-2016, 03:29 AM

Good Morning! I'm not in your country. I'm from Brazil. Apologies if get complicated understanding of my writing.

I saw on the AVS forum that you have to fix your yamaha receiver rx-v 673. And that was replacing a card.

Here in Brazil we have this model import. It is not sold in Brazil. And we are also in trouble, at least one colleague had problems.

forum link where we discussed the subject: htforum.com/forum/threads/clube-yamaha.16040/page-827#post-7112736

My login there is soaoga.

What I would like to know is what was the cause of your problem? What yamaha argued about what caused the problem in your receiver?

Grateful,

soaoga[/quote]
post #3803 of 3811 Old 08-06-2016, 11:41 AM

How is 1.96 working out for everyone? I haven't really updated in 3-4 years so figured now might not be a bad time to do so. Have all the bugs been worked out since the recent Netflix issues?
post #3804 of 3811 Old 08-06-2016, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post
My Dad just started using AirPlay with his 673, and has run into the dreaded connectivity problems. He currently has firmware v1.91. Is there an older firmware that we could attempt to get from Yamaha that would allow the unit to stay connected to AirPlay?

His iPad has the latest iOS. I turned off the connected standby, as before doing that, we'd have to pull power on the Yamaha to get it to connect again. Now, a simple power cycle gets it going, but he still looses AirPlay after a song or two. What's interesting, when it's in the state where AirPlay can't connect, we can still ping the receiver and connect to it via the Yamaha app.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySteel View Post
How is 1.96 working out for everyone? I haven't really updated in 3-4 years so figured now might not be a bad time to do so. Have all the bugs been worked out since the recent Netflix issues?
So I just updated my Dad's receiver to 1.96. So far, AirPlay seems to be behaving. We'll have to give it a few days to be sure, but first impressions are good. Hopefully, it's not just a false positive.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #3805 of 3811 Old 08-06-2016, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 61
How does one force an update? Or do I have to do it from a USB stick? My unit is showing firmware 1.80.

Sent from my Nexus 5X
post #3806 of 3811 Old 08-06-2016, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post
How does one force an update? Or do I have to do it from a USB stick? My unit is showing firmware 1.80.

Sent from my Nexus 5X
I had to do it from USB. It wasn't finding any update via the network.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

post #3807 of 3811 Old 08-06-2016, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Ok thanks. Mine says it's up to date but apparently not. Is there any chance of bricking this thing if the update screws up?

Sent from my Nexus 5X
post #3808 of 3811 Old 08-06-2016, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post
Ok thanks. Mine says it's up to date but apparently not. Is there any chance of bricking this thing if the update screws up?

Sent from my Nexus 5X
I dunno, but I'd think update via USB would be safer. One would hope there is a fail-safe way to update via USB if something goes wrong, but I don't know that it does. I guess don't update during a storm...

post #3809 of 3811 Old 08-07-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post
I dunno, but I'd think update via USB would be safer. One would hope there is a fail-safe way to update via USB if something goes wrong, but I don't know that it does. I guess don't update during a storm...

Thanks for this. Would love to hear back in a few days once you've verified!
post #3810 of 3811 Old 08-09-2016, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efsulliv View Post
Connected a Roku 4 to a 4K TV Vizio M55-C2 through the RX-V673 and got an error from Roku to connect to HDCP 2.2 HDMI port. Had to connect it directly from Roku to TV to get it to work and use optical to receiver for audio.

Assume RX-V673 needs a HDCP 2.2 compliant port for pass through from Roku 4 to 4K TV to work? Do I need to buy a new receiver for this to work (Roku 4>Receiver>4K TV)?
Has anyone got Roku 4 pass through to 4K TV to work with any Yamaha receiver?

Thanks
I'm in the same boat with my Samsung JU-7100 > FireTV >Yamaha RX-V673. According to THIS article by Cruthfield, a firmware update can't make HDMI ports HDCP 2.2 compliant ... it needs a hardware update. Ugh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver
Gear in this thread