The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 3486 Old 09-23-2012, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Why the switch? Specs look nearly identical.

Main reason is that it seems to have a random handshaking glitch between my old style PS3 "fat" and PCM output when playing BluRays, where it will just randomly decide the PS3 is sending it PCM 2.0 instead of PCM 5.1/7.1 right at the start of any given movie. Power cycling the receiver fixes it instantly for the rest of the movie, and sometimes it doesn't happen at all, even with the same movie! The thing is, I DO NOT believe this is a defect with the receiver, but rather something unique to my setup/situation. It MAY be a firmware bug, or maybe just that only Sony knows how to play nice with Sony products. On my old Sony receiver, and my new Sony receiver, no such issue. I'm also fairly convinced that if I changed the PS3 to output Bitstream instead of PCM, there would be zero issue. But I don't want to go through the hassle of swapping out my PS3 with a newer one that can support HD audio over Bitstream in order to find out.

The other reason is that BluRay player and TV are or are going to be Sony, so I might as well use a Sony middleman. smile.gif

Honestly, after evaluating the new Sony ES receiver, I actually like the sound quality BETTER on the Yamaha I'm selling, but its a close call. Actually I'm not sure its better, just subtly different. I think the Yamaha sounds warmer and the Sony sounds brighter, if that makes any sense. It's weird, because I don't pretend to be an audiophile. However, that doesn't mean I wasn't born with the ears of one. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3486 Old 09-24-2012, 06:02 AM

Liked: 10
How to setup the YWA-10 Wireless Network Adapter

Since the documentation that comes with the YWA-10 Wireless Network Adapter is woefully poor, here is a brief summary describing how to setup the device.

1. On your PC, disable your wireless adapter and disconnect your ethernet wire (if you have either).

2. Plug into your PC, the YWA-10 USB (power) and ethernet wire.

3. Browser to "http://ywa.setup/", you should see the YWA-10 login screen.
- Login as 'admin', password of 'password'.
- Select 'Setup Wizard'.
- Choose your wireless router SSID, and enter the password
- Complete the setup wizard - it will restart the YWA-10.
- Note the IP address (e.g., 192.168.1.249) - this is the address of the wireless adapter (not the RX-V673).
- Verify that you can access the internet (e.g., "http://www.yahoo.com").

4. Plug into your RX-V673, the YWA-10 USB (power) and ethernet wire.
- Power on the RX-V673.

5. Back on your PC,
- go to 'Control Panel' > Network and Sharing' > 'View Network Devices' - you should see the RX-V673
- Right-click the RX-V673 and view the 'Properties' - note the IP address (e.g., 192.168.1.109).
- Browser to the RX-V673 IP address - you will see the Web Browser Control Top Menu

I hope this is helpful to someone.
post #453 of 3486 Old 09-24-2012, 08:51 AM

How to setup the YWA-10 Wireless Network Adapter ... continued

More information that may be helpful. Note that you have 2 different IP addresses: one for the YWA-10 and one for the RX-V672.

The base URL for the YWA-10 (e.g., http://192.168.1.249) takes you to the setup for the Yamaha Network Adapter device.

The base URL for the RX-V673 IP address (e.g., http://192.168.1.109) takes you to the "Top Menu" menu to control the tuner. Select "Main" (or "Zone 2") to change the current input, decoder, program, etc, etc.

The base URL for the RX-V673 + '/Setup/index.html' (e.g., http://192.168.1.109/Setup/index.html) takes you to the "Setup", where you can change speaker sizes, levels, PEQ (equalizer), and much more. There is no link to this area (that I could find) from the "Top Menu", so you must enter the full URL.
post #454 of 3486 Old 09-24-2012, 10:44 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

Main reason is that it seems to have a random handshaking glitch between my old style PS3 "fat" and PCM output when playing BluRays, where it will just randomly decide the PS3 is sending it PCM 2.0 instead of PCM 5.1/7.1 right at the start of any given movie. Power cycling the receiver fixes it instantly for the rest of the movie, and sometimes it doesn't happen at all, even with the same movie! The thing is, I DO NOT believe this is a defect with the receiver, but rather something unique to my setup/situation. It MAY be a firmware bug, or maybe just that only Sony knows how to play nice with Sony products. On my old Sony receiver, and my new Sony receiver, no such issue. I'm also fairly convinced that if I changed the PS3 to output Bitstream instead of PCM, there would be zero issue. But I don't want to go through the hassle of swapping out my PS3 with a newer one that can support HD audio over Bitstream in order to find out.

Hey Flavius, just wanted to let you know you're not the only one having this problem. I also have a 1st gen "fat" PS3 (80GB) connected to the 673, and am occasionally getting just the left and right front channels on a 5.1 track. So far, it's happened with one DVD and two Blu-rays. It's rare, and turning the 673 off and on fixes the problem, so it hasn't been annoying me too much. But if it gets more frequent, I'll start getting worried. Luckily it's easy to detect when it's happening from the channel lights on the front panel.
post #455 of 3486 Old 09-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwinston View Post

Hey Flavius, just wanted to let you know you're not the only one having this problem. I also have a 1st gen "fat" PS3 (80GB) connected to the 673, and am occasionally getting just the left and right front channels on a 5.1 track. So far, it's happened with one DVD and two Blu-rays. It's rare, and turning the 673 off and on fixes the problem, so it hasn't been annoying me too much. But if it gets more frequent, I'll start getting worried. Luckily it's easy to detect when it's happening from the channel lights on the front panel.

Well, the fact that we both have this issue means its not a hardware defect, but rather a misdesign or firmware bug. Sounds like the same problem. Personally, I just went back to a Sony receiver since my old Sony never had this issue, but it would be interesting to know if you ever find a solution.
post #456 of 3486 Old 09-24-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:

Well, the fact that we both have this issue means its not a hardware defect, but rather a misdesign or firmware bug. Sounds like the same problem. Personally, I just went back to a Sony receiver since my old Sony never had this issue, but it would be interesting to know if you ever find a solution.

Every AVR I've ever bought has had problems. If this is the only one the 673 has, I'll be happy. I like pretty much everything about it compared to the Onkyo it replaced, including the sound and video quality. So the missing channel issue is just a minor nuisance at this point. But I'll let you know if I ever figure out anything.

Eventually I'm going to upgrade to an Oppo Blu-ray player, which hopefully won't have the issue with the 673. Then I'll just be using the PS3 for games (and for whatever streaming apps it has that the Oppo doesn't).
post #457 of 3486 Old 09-24-2012, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Every AVR I've ever bought has had problems. If this is the only one the 673 has, I'll be happy. I like pretty much everything about it compared to the Onkyo it replaced, including the sound and video quality. So the missing channel issue is just a minor nuisance at this point. But I'll let you know if I ever figure out anything.
Eventually I'm going to upgrade to an Oppo Blu-ray player, which hopefully won't have the issue with the 673. Then I'll just be using the PS3 for games (and for whatever streaming apps it has that the Oppo doesn't).

I sort of agree with you and I actually asked my wife, and my wife said to get a different receiver so we don't have to deal with it! I guess if I'm spending this much money on something, she has a point. I have the Sony ES hooked up now, and I'm not convinced it sounds better than the Yamaha. It may sound worse, actually. Someone's gonna be getting a steal buying my V673.

Might I ask why you are getting an expensive Oppo BluRay player? How do you expect it to be better than the PS3 BluRay player, aside from most likely correcting this issue, of course? I also debated getting a standalone BluRay player at first, but then I figured I should not have to jump through these hoops when it seemed to me the Yamaha was at fault. (my old DN1000 Sony AVR never once had a problem in the same environment)
post #458 of 3486 Old 09-24-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Go to Menu>Input>HDMI2 make sure Audio In is HDMI2. Then go to Menu>Setup>HDMI> HDMI Control Off, Standy Through On, Audio Output Amp On, HDMI OUT TV Off. This is assuming that you are not trying to use ARC.

Thanks it worked great.
post #459 of 3486 Old 09-24-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:

Might I ask why you are getting an expensive Oppo BluRay player? How do you expect it to be better than the PS3 BluRay player, aside from most likely correcting this issue, of course? I also debated getting a standalone BluRay player at first, but then I figured I should not have to jump through these hoops when it seemed to me the Yamaha was at fault. (my old DN1000 Sony AVR never once had a problem in the same environment)

Many reasons, but mostly I've been using the PS3 as my sole Blu-ray player for years and I just feel it's time for something different. I like the universality of the Oppo. I've got a number of DVD-Audio and SACD discs, which the Oppo will play. Since upgrading to the 673, my previous DVD-A/SACD player won't work because the hi-rez/surround sound was only through analog outputs, and the 673 doesn't have analog surround inputs (very few AVRs do these days, I suspect). The PS3 is an older one and will play SACD discs, but not DVD-Audio. I also like the fact the Oppo has two HDMI outputs so I could bypass the AVR for video if I wanted and go directly into the TV while still being able to use the AVR for the HD audio. I also have a number of PAL format DVDs which the Oppo would play and the PS3 can't. And if there's a bump up in PQ as well, I wouldn't complain...
post #460 of 3486 Old 09-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Many reasons, but mostly I've been using the PS3 as my sole Blu-ray player for years and I just feel it's time for something different. I like the universality of the Oppo. I've got a number of DVD-Audio and SACD discs, which the Oppo will play. Since upgrading to the 673, my previous DVD-A/SACD player won't work because the hi-rez/surround sound was only through analog outputs, and the 673 doesn't have analog surround inputs (very few AVRs do these days, I suspect). The PS3 is an older one and will play SACD discs, but not DVD-Audio. I also like the fact the Oppo has two HDMI outputs so I could bypass the AVR for video if I wanted and go directly into the TV while still being able to use the AVR for the HD audio. I also have a number of PAL format DVDs which the Oppo would play and the PS3 can't. And if there's a bump up in PQ as well, I wouldn't complain...

Fair enough! Thanks for explaining. smile.gif
post #461 of 3486 Old 09-25-2012, 11:09 AM

Q: Component video inputs

I now have my TV connected to the RX-673 via HDMI. The on-screen setup screens look good. However the cable box (I am going to exchange it) and my DVD player do not have HDMI outputs.

Here's the question: Can I run from cable box or DVD to RX-V673 with component video, and view it on the HDMI connected TV?
post #462 of 3486 Old 09-25-2012, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoMan View Post

Q: Component video inputs
I now have my TV connected to the RX-673 via HDMI. The on-screen setup screens look good. However the cable box (I am going to exchange it) and my DVD player do not have HDMI outputs.
Here's the question: Can I run from cable box or DVD to RX-V673 with component video, and view it on the HDMI connected TV?
Yes, this model will upscale component video and output it as HDMI. See page 125 of the manual for the full conversion chart.

post #463 of 3486 Old 09-25-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

Yes, this model will upscale component video and output it as HDMI. See page 125 of the manual for the full conversion chart.

But only if it's 480i. It won't do 480p to HDMI. For that you need to use the component output from the 673 to the TV.
post #464 of 3486 Old 09-25-2012, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

But only if it's 480i. It won't do 480p to HDMI. For that you need to use the component output from the 673 to the TV.
True, and that's why I pointed him to the chart in the manual. Hopefully his cable box and DVD player have the option to select interlaced (never seen one that doesn't).

post #465 of 3486 Old 09-25-2012, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Receiver upscaling is USELESS GARBAGE. Why?

On my V673, indeed it could only upscale 480i component to HDMI.

I now switched to a HIGH END Sony ES receiver latest DA1800ES.. While it CAN upscale 480p component to 1080p as well as 108p component to HDMI, the result is rubbish.

Both the 1080p converted and 480p upscaled and coverted images do NOT fill the entire screen, and this is not correctable unless you want your normal HDMI signals to the TV to to look too large (i.e.e overscanned to death). What's worse, the 480p image isn't steady. Every few seconds it shifts around by a few pixels.

To add insult the injury, if I bypass the HDMI upscaling/conversion and just connect component 480p and 1080p from the receiver to the TV, not only is the image full screen, but it looks BETTER than the "upscaled" image!

So receiver upscaling and component to HDMI conversion are just rubbish, useless features with half-assed implementation that are just there to provide bullet points on the spec sheet to lead gullible suckers into paying more for these features.

/rant off
post #466 of 3486 Old 09-25-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:

Receiver upscaling is USELESS GARBAGE. Why?
On my V673, indeed it could only upscale 480i component to HDMI.
I now switched to a HIGH END Sony ES receiver latest DA1800ES.. While it CAN upscale 480p component to 1080p as well as 108p component to HDMI, the result is rubbish.
Both the 1080p converted and 480p upscaled and coverted images do NOT fill the entire screen, and this is not correctable unless you want your normal HDMI signals to the TV to to look too large (i.e.e overscanned to death). What's worse, the 480p image isn't steady. Every few seconds it shifts around by a few pixels.
To add insult the injury, if I bypass the HDMI upscaling/conversion and just connect component 480p and 1080p from the receiver to the TV, not only is the image full screen, but it looks BETTER than the "upscaled" image!
So receiver upscaling and component to HDMI conversion are just rubbish, useless features with half-assed implementation that are just there to provide bullet points on the spec sheet to lead gullible suckers into paying more for these features.
/rant off

Hmmm, 480p component to 1080p HDMI upscaling worked fine on my old Onkyo TX-SR605, from what I remember. And I think it was one of the first AVRs to do that.
post #467 of 3486 Old 09-25-2012, 03:21 PM

Re: Q: Component video inputs

Thank you all for your comments. I am still trying to assimilate it and yet to try it out on my system. From what I gather, if I have both HDMI and component video connections to the TV, I should be covered. Then the component video inputs to the receiver can be played on the TV component video input, and the HDMI inputs can be played on the TV HDMI input. Is that correct?
post #468 of 3486 Old 09-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoMan View Post

Re: Q: Component video inputs
Thank you all for your comments. I am still trying to assimilate it and yet to try it out on my system. From what I gather, if I have both HDMI and component video connections to the TV, I should be covered. Then the component video inputs to the receiver can be played on the TV component video input, and the HDMI inputs can be played on the TV HDMI input. Is that correct?
Correct and, if what Flavius said is correct, that approach could give you the best results with component sources.

post #469 of 3486 Old 09-25-2012, 06:11 PM

So, I have successfully used the "buy the 671" upgrade magic, with a twist. I used the shopearly coupon and got the 389 price, then, when the upgrade email came, asked to switch to the a720 instead of the v673. So, got that one for $434 out the door. Excellent. Had I not come to the forum for information, I would have paid $702 ($649 + tax w/ free prime shipping) at Amazon. SUPER COOOOL! Thanks everyone!
post #470 of 3486 Old 09-25-2012, 07:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontalLobotomy View Post

So, I have successfully used the "buy the 671" upgrade magic, with a twist. I used the shopearly coupon and got the 389 price, then, when the upgrade email came, asked to switch to the a720 instead of the v673. So, got that one for $434 out the door. Excellent. Had I not come to the forum for information, I would have paid $702 ($649 + tax w/ free prime shipping) at Amazon. SUPER COOOOL! Thanks everyone!
Electronics Expo website doesnt even list the a720. You must have gotten real lucky.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #471 of 3486 Old 09-26-2012, 06:56 PM

I'm seeing it here: http://www.electronics-expo.com/yamaha-aventage-rx-a720-3d-a-v-receiver-7-2-channel but it does show out of stock. Must have got the last one. cool.gif
post #472 of 3486 Old 09-28-2012, 12:33 AM

Receiver brand new, trying to get to setup. Running Monoprice HDMI extender with CAT6 from AV closet where 673 is located from TV about 65 feet away. However, I cannot get any video or audio to pass to TV whether its Cable, Xbox, or Blueray when running THROUGH receiver. However, when I bypass the receiver and plug HDMI either from Cable box, Xbox, or Blueray DIRECTLY into my HDMI extender, it works perfect --- Audio and Video to TV.

Im guessing it is some HDMI setting on the receiver that needs to be changed. But since I cannot get the on screen display, I need to navigate using the menu on the front of the receiver. Anyone have any idea what setting needs to be changed?

On another note, I did the same exact test setup above using my older Denon 1611 receiver, and the HDMI worked great for all above items through the HDMI extender. So it must be some setting on the 673, or its DOA.

HDMI extender is powered. Here is the item from Monoprice.

Product 6532
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=6532&seq=1&format=2

UPDATE: Hooked the 673 right by the TV, bypassing the HDMI extender. Put xbox on HDMI 1 and Blueray on HDMI 2, HDMI output directly to TV using 3 foot HDMI cable. I get NOTHING, no audio or video on either the xbox or blueray, Im guessing 673 receiver is DOA?
post #473 of 3486 Old 09-28-2012, 02:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter520 View Post

Receiver brand new, trying to get to setup. Running Monoprice HDMI extender with CAT6 from AV closet where 673 is located from TV about 65 feet away. However, I cannot get any video or audio to pass to TV whether its Cable, Xbox, or Blueray when running THROUGH receiver. However, when I bypass the receiver and plug HDMI either from Cable box, Xbox, or Blueray DIRECTLY into my HDMI extender, it works perfect --- Audio and Video to TV.
Im guessing it is some HDMI setting on the receiver that needs to be changed. But since I cannot get the on screen display, I need to navigate using the menu on the front of the receiver. Anyone have any idea what setting needs to be changed?
On another note, I did the same exact test setup above using my older Denon 1611 receiver, and the HDMI worked great for all above items through the HDMI extender. So it must be some setting on the 673, or its DOA.
HDMI extender is powered. Here is the item from Monoprice.
Product 6532
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=6532&seq=1&format=2
UPDATE: Hooked the 673 right by the TV, bypassing the HDMI extender. Put xbox on HDMI 1 and Blueray on HDMI 2, HDMI output directly to TV using 3 foot HDMI cable. I get NOTHING, no audio or video on either the xbox or blueray, Im guessing 673 receiver is DOA?
Might try a quick call to Yamaha just to double check your settings but sounds like DOA to me.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #474 of 3486 Old 09-28-2012, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter520 View Post

Receiver brand new, trying to get to setup. ... But since I cannot get the on screen display, I need to navigate using the menu on the front of the receiver. Anyone have any idea what setting needs to be changed?
I also have been trying to set up a new RX-V673. I have found that the setup capabilities through the front panel are severely brain dead - you cannot get to most of the important settings. Even the "On Screen" setup seems lacking to me, and I am not able to get to all the settings. It looks like the only way to access all of the settings is through the device web interface, which is only available if you have the Yamaha Wireless Network Adapter (or an ethernet cable into your router) and a local router. That allows you to access all of the settings, but even then they are confusing and poorly documented, so it takes trial-and-error experimentation to get them right.

Here is an informative post on setting up the network adapter.
post #475 of 3486 Old 09-28-2012, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Anyone know whether the Yammy can play multichannel 96 kHz FLAC over USB or NAS? The manual says it is compatible with WAV and FLAC up to 96 kHz for music over USB and NAS, but it doesn't say whether that's 2 channel stereo only, or includes 5.1 surround.

post #476 of 3486 Old 09-29-2012, 07:18 PM

Hi, Got my new 673 receiver and trying to setup Airplay & DNLA. Connected the receiver through ethernet cable and it is in the home network. But it is not getting recognized in Airplay or the iphone A/V app, I tried other android app also and it is not recognized there. If i type the ipaddress it is getting added to the iphone and galaxy apps. But cannot get airplay to work, And I cannot see the receiver device under My Computer->Network devices. I have Verizon VIOS router. Any idea what I am doing wrong ?
post #477 of 3486 Old 10-01-2012, 07:17 AM

The Electronics Expo 'magical upgrade deal' from the 671 to the 673 is still active. I ordered on Wednesday 9/26/12 and received a phone call the following day. If you pay using PayPal, make sure you leave a valid phone number. Elec Expo's website doesn't handle the information transfer from PayPal well and amazingly didn't have an e-mail address tied to my order number.

I asked the rep about applying the 671's discount to the original price of an A720. He was willing to do it but I just ended up staying with the 673. If you're looking to make your own deal on an A720, this is a pretty good angle.
post #478 of 3486 Old 10-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskarvee View Post

Hi, Got my new 673 receiver and trying to setup Airplay & DNLA. Connected the receiver through ethernet cable and it is in the home network. But it is not getting recognized in Airplay or the iphone A/V app, I tried other android app also and it is not recognized there. If i type the ipaddress it is getting added to the iphone and galaxy apps. But cannot get airplay to work, And I cannot see the receiver device under My Computer->Network devices. I have Verizon VIOS router. Any idea what I am doing wrong ?
Do you have any other airplay devices that you can use to confirm that it's not the router blocking the airplay traffic?

Also do you have network standby enabled?

post #479 of 3486 Old 10-01-2012, 10:05 AM

Yes, I have network stanby on.

When I look at the view full network map, it shows my laptop and other wireless devices are connected to router directly, where as my Yamaha receiver is connected through a switch and then router. I guess it is verizon fios router settings, but not able to figure out what it is.

I have ordered this wireless adapter from amazon. Hope at least this resolves my issue.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007CO5DZ4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
post #480 of 3486 Old 10-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

If the router is blocking it, then it shouldn't matter whether it's connected via wired or wireless (even if it's connected through a switch--mine is connected through two switches).

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V673 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page