The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 3486 Old 10-30-2012, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I HIGHLY recommend updating via USB. I got most of the way through a network update and got an "ERROR! 2000" message (complete with exclamation point). I then pressed power to try to do a do-over and got a "ROM ERROR" message. Oh. Crap.

The Yamaha site has a download for the update file and USB install instructions, which include troubleshooting for this situation. Luckily, I was able to force update from USB and all is well. Update completed and now pandora and other services are in the input menu. Good stuff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3486 Old 10-30-2012, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoutsOut View Post

You have to innitially power everything up in a sequence. I had the same issue, read the manual about the initial powering sequence and now everything works like a charm. I have last years LG 65in version. When the Reciever is off the sound comes through my telivision. When I power on the reciever the sound switches and I can also use my TV remote to control the sound. Also, If I want to stream anything from my smart TV capabilities ie YOU TUBE, NETFLIX ect, as long as my reciever is on the sound ARC to the reciever. Very nice. It was a pain getting everything setup though. Just hang in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Run a fiber optic digital cable from the tv. It provides a digital signal that is just as good quality as HDMI. Whether or not you will get 5.1 depends on the model of the tv. My LG LH90 did not but my Panasonic ST50 outputs a 5.1 signal.

Now running through Fiber Optical cable. Sounds great!! 5.1 output is fantastic

however, I tried all the sequence possible to power on and off. Nothing working with HDMI.
post #633 of 3486 Old 10-31-2012, 04:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chica17 View Post

Now running through Fiber Optical cable. Sounds great!! 5.1 output is fantastic
however, I tried all the sequence possible to power on and off. Nothing working with HDMI.
Why are you running an HDMI cable at all if you are getting sound from tv to receiver with the digi op cable? You said you wanted sound from tv to receiver.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #634 of 3486 Old 10-31-2012, 10:18 AM

Hi JD NC

I have had exactly the same problem as you - updated via network. got ERROR! 2000 and now ROM ERROR - how do I force the update?

Thanks

Elliott
post #635 of 3486 Old 10-31-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott Appleby View Post

Hi JD NC
I have had exactly the same problem as you - updated via network. got ERROR! 2000 and now ROM ERROR - how do I force the update?
Thanks
Elliott

I think the error occurred because of an interruption in the network connection. The update file is only 18mb, but the update process is very slow, so it looks like the server may be timing out to cause the error.

Anyway, I downloaded the update file from here:

http://download.yamaha.com/search/detail/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&asset_id=57809&category_id=16446&product_id=1645667&1351705720

At the bottom of the page, click on "Yes, I agree" and save the file to your desktop. It will unzip into a ".bin" file. Find a blank USB thumb drive and copy the .bin file to the root folder of the drive. I downloaded the file on a mac and copied it to a PC formatted thumb drive, for what it's worth. I'd use a FAT32 formatted USB drive just to be safe. [UPDATE: some users report the method only working with a FAT16 formatted USB stick]

There is a link to a PDF for "RX-V673 Firmware Update Version 1.64_Installation_Manual." If your AVR is borked from the network update, go to page 6 of the PDF, under "Troubleshooting, Case 2."

The procedure is:
1-Unplug the AVR from the wall.
2-Plug in the USB drive with the update file into the USB port
3-Press and hold the "PURE DIRECT" button on the front of the AVR and plug the AVR back in.
4-Keep holding PURE DIRECT until the front display shows USB UPDATE. (This happened for me right away after I plugged it in)
5-Let the AVR update. This will take a while, especially the "5-1" portion. My guestimate is about 15 minutes.
6-When it's done, the AVR will say UPDATE SUCCESS.
That's it, you're done.

Good luck!

post #636 of 3486 Old 11-01-2012, 12:16 PM

JD is right. Same problem here on the update. Follow the Yamaha procedures for the USB update. Receiver was unresponsive and now it works great. I highly recommend the USB update for ROM Error.
post #637 of 3486 Old 11-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Just got my receiver yesterday and so far loving it.I have a DVDO edge at home that I was using for up conversion and I have to say this Yamaha does a much better job. Very impressed. Now I need to start buying some new speakers, interested in some fellow owners opinions on speakers. I put the highest priority on movie viewing. Thanks.biggrin.gif

James Reid:D
post #638 of 3486 Old 11-02-2012, 07:02 AM
i2k

Worked fine here via the web update... Does take a while (~10 mins) but pretty cool to have Pandora right on the receiver.

Any ideas on how to switch to Pandora specifically without having to hit NET a few times? Ultimately for use on a Harmony remote.

Thanks

i2k

Samsung LED 65" UN65FH6001F
Yamaha AV Receiver RX 673
Mission/Polk Audio speakers
post #639 of 3486 Old 11-02-2012, 04:04 PM

Hello ! I'm a new user. i've bought a 673 few days ago and i'm trying to solve some little issue reading this thread..
My big issue is that i would like to use the standby through so my family doesn't need to use the 673 remote.
But every time the ampli remember the last used source, even if it is switched off. There is a way to 'force' which hdmi should 'pass through' ?
Or a way the 673 can use the only source switched on ?

Hope you can understand my poor english. Thanks..
post #640 of 3486 Old 11-02-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemme75 View Post

Hello ! I'm a new user. i've bought a 673 few days ago and i'm trying to solve some little issue reading this thread..
My big issue is that i would like to use the standby through so my family doesn't need to use the 673 remote.
But every time the ampli remember the last used source, even if it is switched off. There is a way to 'force' which hdmi should 'pass through' ?
Or a way the 673 can use the only source switched on ?
Hope you can understand my poor english. Thanks..
Just hit the preferred source button while it is off.

post #641 of 3486 Old 11-02-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:

Just hit the preferred source button while it is off.
Of course it works.. but i have to do this every time ?
Really no way to set a preferred or default hdmi input ?
post #642 of 3486 Old 11-02-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Of course it works.. but i have to do this every time ?
Really no way to set a preferred or default hdmi input ?
It will change every time you hit a different input button. There is no way to make it power on to the same input every time if thats what you are asking.

post #643 of 3486 Old 11-02-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2k View Post

Worked fine here via the web update... Does take a while (~10 mins) but pretty cool to have Pandora right on the receiver.
Any ideas on how to switch to Pandora specifically without having to hit NET a few times? Ultimately for use on a Harmony remote.
Thanks

Yamaha rep told me he is requesting discrete codes for Pandora among others from those in Japan.
post #644 of 3486 Old 11-03-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:

It will change every time you hit a different input button. There is no way to make it power on to the same input every time if thats what you are asking.
Yes, it's not so strange. I don't want to hit any button at all smile.gif
I would like to have the remote in a drawer because i don't like the child have to use it any time he want to see a dvd.
If there is only one hdmi active (dvd player in hdmi1 for example), can't understand why the ampli should "pass through" a blank/switched off signal (the htpc in hdm2).

All you like to use the remote / ampli for any source, any time ? rolleyes.gif
post #645 of 3486 Old 11-03-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes, it's not so strange. I don't want to hit any button at all smile.gif
I would like to have the remote in a drawer because i don't like the child have to use it any time he want to see a dvd.
If there is only one hdmi active (dvd player in hdmi1 for example), can't understand why the ampli should "pass through" a blank/switched off signal (the htpc in hdm2).
All you like to use the remote / ampli for any source, any time ? rolleyes.gif
Perhaps you could make a habit of leaving it on the DVD source every time that you are done. It will not change without the remote.

post #646 of 3486 Old 11-04-2012, 03:42 AM

Dear friends,
after obtaining this product I have come across a nasty problem that pretty much renders an important feature useless. The problem is losing the net radio stream after listening to it for a while, probably about 30 minutes to an hour.

I have experimented with various stations and all of them have suddenly disconnected at some point. The music stops playing and doesn't automatically reconnect. I can resume playing by selecting the stream again, but this requires browsing the stations. After disconnection I can browse net radio normally, so the internet connection isn't really lost. My Yamaha is connected via Netgear WNCE2001. Both Netgear and Yamaha have the latest firmware. There are not many settings to change, so I'm feeling quite hopeless. But I tried to enable network standby, this had no effect whatsoever.
post #647 of 3486 Old 11-04-2012, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMistaken View Post

Dear friends,
after obtaining this product I have come across a nasty problem that pretty much renders an important feature useless. The problem is losing the net radio stream after listening to it for a while, probably about 30 minutes to an hour.

I have experimented with various stations and all of them have suddenly disconnected at some point. The music stops playing and doesn't automatically reconnect. I can resume playing by selecting the stream again, but this requires browsing the stations. After disconnection I can browse net radio normally, so the internet connection isn't really lost. My Yamaha is connected via Netgear WNCE2001. Both Netgear and Yamaha have the latest firmware. There are not many settings to change, so I'm feeling quite hopeless. But I tried to enable network standby, this had no effect whatsoever.

This can be fixed by setting the DNS server manually instead of using DHCP, I had the same issue and using static settings fixed it. Can't remember if I used my router as DNS or googles 8.8.8.8 but one of them or both should work give that a try. I found out about the fix on a website from someone else who had the same issue.

Paul
post #648 of 3486 Old 11-04-2012, 03:19 PM

With movies and tv-series do you use dsp or go in 'straight' mode ?
If you use dsp, what are your favorite ? smile.gif
post #649 of 3486 Old 11-04-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 592
You the Yamaha 673 / 720 owners. How does Pandora sound when using the AVR via online app. I bought a Pioneer VSX-1022-k, and it was kind of a PIA to set up, but afterwards, I was playing Pandora, and the sound was horrible. It would only do stereo 2.0, and at times my tweeters sounded like they were going to explode with static.

I am thinking of either buying the 673, 720 or Denon if I can't find the 673 or 720 at my local best buy, but I want to find out if Pandora would player other than 2.0 stereo? Thanks.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #650 of 3486 Old 11-05-2012, 01:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

With movies and tv-series do you use dsp or go in 'straight' mode ?
If you use dsp, what are your favorite ? smile.gif
I mostly use Standard DSP but use Sports DSP for sports.

post #651 of 3486 Old 11-05-2012, 01:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

You the Yamaha 673 / 720 owners. How does Pandora sound when using the AVR via online app. I bought a Pioneer VSX-1022-k, and it was kind of a PIA to set up, but afterwards, I was playing Pandora, and the sound was horrible. It would only do stereo 2.0, and at times my tweeters sounded like they were going to explode with static.
I am thinking of either buying the 673, 720 or Denon if I can't find the 673 or 720 at my local best buy, but I want to find out if Pandora would player other than 2.0 stereo? Thanks.
The signal is 2.0. Nothing you can do about that but it will play in any mode you want (7 ch Stereo is what I usually use). Therefore you can hear it from all of your speakers including sub if you choose to. It has CD quality and sounds great.

post #652 of 3486 Old 11-05-2012, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I just upgraded from my 2 year old Onkyo tx-sr607 to the Yamaha v673. They're both physically about the same size with same wattage amps and 7.2 channels but the Yamaha has more features like 3D. I think I paid about the same for each receiver at the time of purchase. I was going to get a more expensive Pioneer but decided to save the cash and try the Yamaha.

Performance with the Yamaha v673 is clearly better then the Onkyo sr607, bass is more articulate and controlled and the sound is larger in scale with better seperation and greater detail. Everything just seems clearier and more dynammic. I know the Yamaha and Onkyo have about the same wattage per channel but the Yamaha does seem more powerful, it gets loud and doesn't strain doing it, the Onkyo not so much, I'm only using bookshelf speakers the Monitor Audio Bx2 Bronze in 7 channels and the Yamaha v673 powers them easily. Another positive is it's 7 channel setup which I think works alot better then it did on the Onkyo. When I bought the Onkyo I purchased an extra pair of speakers for the 7 channels but I never felt it made much difference, the Yamaha on the other hand seems to utilise the extra rear channels better and I feel like I'm getting the benefit of those extra speakers now. So overall it's been a good upgrade at a decent price.
post #653 of 3486 Old 11-05-2012, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The signal is 2.0. Nothing you can do about that but it will play in any mode you want (7 ch Stereo is what I usually use). Therefore you can hear it from all of your speakers including sub if you choose to. It has CD quality and sounds great.

Thats good to know. When I had the Pioneer it wouldn't let me change the listening mode. I wanted to at least use all the speakers including the sub. Furthermore, it looks like the Yamaha UI is much better.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #654 of 3486 Old 11-05-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Thats good to know. When I had the Pioneer it wouldn't let me change the listening mode. I wanted to at least use all the speakers including the sub. Furthermore, it looks like the Yamaha UI is much better.
It will work in all modes. Even the movie ones.

post #655 of 3486 Old 11-05-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It will work in all modes. Even the movie ones.

Good. For some reason or another the Pioneer VSX-1022-K that I used to have wouldn't do that.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #656 of 3486 Old 11-05-2012, 09:12 AM
i2k

Have to second this.. Pandora sounds great.

i2k

Samsung LED 65" UN65FH6001F
Yamaha AV Receiver RX 673
Mission/Polk Audio speakers
post #657 of 3486 Old 11-05-2012, 03:51 PM

Firmware update was a nightmare.

I too had a "ROM ERROR" after saying yes to the update my receiver offered me. Went online to check for solutions....found the USB method. Tried it with several USB sticks, (had to drive back to work to pick up other varieties) and finally got the receiver to recognize one by formatting as FAT (FAT32 did not work). "Quick Format" did not work either. Had to do a full FAT16 format.

Just a heads up for those who think that Yamaha may have bricked their RX-V673. VERY disappointed with this, my first Yamaha product.
post #658 of 3486 Old 11-05-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psark View Post

Firmware update was a nightmare.
I too had a "ROM ERROR" after saying yes to the update my receiver offered me. Went online to check for solutions....found the USB method. Tried it with several USB sticks, (had to drive back to work to pick up other varieties) and finally got the receiver to recognize one by formatting as FAT (FAT32 did not work). "Quick Format" did not work either. Had to do a full FAT16 format.
Just a heads up for those who think that Yamaha may have bricked their RX-V673. VERY disappointed with this, my first Yamaha product.

Lame. Glad you got it working. I updated my how-to post to note he FAT16 issue.

post #659 of 3486 Old 11-06-2012, 12:26 AM

My Yamaha RX-673V updated its firmware today. It now has Pandora, XM Radio and some other stuff I haven't dug into yet. Pandora is fully configurable with your account and etc.

I guess the complaints about lack of Pandora can be put to rest now.

post #660 of 3486 Old 11-06-2012, 09:04 AM

Panic mode ON for me, too. eek.gif
I got sunday the 'ROM ERROR!" updating via internet but i solved via usb with a simple 4 Gb FAT32 key .

I'm still disappointed about Pandora, it has been implemented only for US mad.gif
However I don't blame yamaha for this.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V673 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page