The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 3 - AVS Forum
1  2  3 4  5  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR
DeadEd's Avatar DeadEd 04:30 PM 07-09-2012
*Question about streaming music to my RX-V673 from Windows 7*

I bought my RX-V673 last week as well as a Sharp Aquos LC-70C8470U 70" TV and a Panasonic Blu-Ray 3D player. I love them all but I can't get the RX-V673 to accept streaming from my computer.

1) Media sharing is on in Windows 7 Professional (and the music folder from which I'm streaming is shared)
2) RX-V673 shows up in "My Computer"
3) I have installed the RX-V673 drivers on the computer
4) I have turned on DHCP in the network settings on the RX-V673
5) MAC address filter is off
6) Network Standby is on

When I go to Windows Media Player and select 'Play To RX-V673' the PLAY window pops up but the song does not play. After about a minute a message on the computer says, "Command failed."

Oddly, when I try to stream music to the Aquos TV it works great and plays through the RX-V673 just fine. My unhappiness stems from the fact that I should not have to have the TV on in order to listen to music. I must be missing something. I checked the device in windows and the computer has the correct MAC and IP addresses for the device. Air-Play works fine with my iPod. I tried power cycling the reciever, the computer, and the network switch. If it did not work great when playing through the TV by way of the same network I would have thought it was a network or computer issue. I must have something set up wrong on the receiver.

Anyone have any ideas?

(edit: when I click 'command failed' it says, "The device failed to execute the UPnP command... If you can't resolve the issue, a device update might be required. HRESULT: 0x80040210 UPnP Error 501)

djshema's Avatar djshema 06:25 AM 07-10-2012
I want to double check the speaker configuration that 673 can support. From what I tell from the pictures of the back of this receiver, it has Zone 1, Zone B and Zone 2 configuration.

I am trying to find a receiver that will allow me to set up zone 1 in a 5.1 configuration, then hook up 2 additional speakers in a 7.1 configuration (which Pioneer calls Zone B) that I will turn on occasionally (these are in a kitchen right off the TV room where ZOne 1 is playing) to play the same signal.

In addition I want to have Zone 2 to which I can hook up my deck speakers and play a separate signal.


Will 673 support having the ability to have 7.1 and a separate ZOne 2 at the same time? I do not mind bying an external amp for Zone two if Zone 2 is not powered.
rwinston's Avatar rwinston 11:25 AM 07-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

And I was going to say that the 673 will convert component video to HDMI, since the 671 and even earlier models would do that. BUT, the table on page 125 shows that it can't (except for 480i input). This is a strange step backwards for the 673 (not being able to convert 480p or higher to HDMI).

Seriously, it doesn't upconvert anything but 480i to HDMI? Well, this receiver just got moved way down on my list of possibilities. Too bad, because it seemed to have the combination of features I was looking for at my price point. Good thing I waited to see what the reviews were like before buying it.
kriktsemaj99's Avatar kriktsemaj99 11:59 AM 07-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwinston View Post

Seriously, it doesn't upconvert anything but 480i to HDMI?

That's what the manual says, and it was confirmed by one owner. I really don't understand why they would leave that out when it's been a feature for years, except perhaps that there are now fewer and fewer devices that output HD over component.

Edit: I checked some of the other manuals, and for this year's models conversion of component 720p/1080i to HDMI only starts at the RX-A1020.
Kainan's Avatar Kainan 02:14 PM 07-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

That's what the manual says, and it was confirmed by one owner. I really don't understand why they would leave that out when it's been a feature for years, except perhaps that there are now fewer and fewer devices that output HD over component.
Edit: I checked some of the other manuals, and for this year's models conversion of component 720p/1080i to HDMI only starts at the RX-A1020.

The conversion from component IN to HDMI OUT accepts only 480i input and converts up to 4K.
The conversion from component IN to component OUT accepts 480i,480p, 720p, 1080i and converts up to 1080i.

How much does it really matter? If you are only outputting through component then you are using old hardware anyway, or a Wii. Before I start worrying about upconversion through the receiver I have to worry about what I'm actually feeding it. I don't really expect to be using component. Even if I'm going to have 480p material, it is going to be going over HDMI through something like the PS3 or Roku. The only real complaint I have is that I have to run the components out of the receiver. A single HDMI sure would be nice. Of course if it mattered that much I would buy a converter for the Wii component to HDMI but I don't want to spend the cash.
rwinston's Avatar rwinston 03:32 PM 07-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainan View Post

The conversion from component IN to HDMI OUT accepts only 480i input and converts up to 4K.
The conversion from component IN to component OUT accepts 480i,480p, 720p, 1080i and converts up to 1080i.
How much does it really matter? If you are only outputting through component then you are using old hardware anyway, or a Wii.

Yes, old hardware. I have a couple of old pre-HDMI DVD players with specialized functions that I still use occasionally. Will probably just replace them both with an Oppo BD player at some point. (I have a PS3 I use for Blu-rays etc now.)
kriktsemaj99's Avatar kriktsemaj99 04:16 PM 07-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainan View Post

The conversion from component IN to HDMI OUT accepts only 480i input and converts up to 4K.
The conversion from component IN to component OUT accepts 480i,480p, 720p, 1080i and converts up to 1080i.
How much does it really matter? ...
I don't think it upscales component inputs above 480i (not even for component out).

If I were looking to buy a 673, which I'm not, it would be a bit of an issue because I have an HD cable box with a broken HDMI output and I have to use component. Conversion to HDMI saves the extra cable. Not a huge deal but it's a bit of a surprising move.
Kainan's Avatar Kainan 08:20 PM 07-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd View Post

*Question about streaming music to my RX-V673 from Windows 7*
I bought my RX-V673 last week as well as a Sharp Aquos LC-70C8470U 70" TV and a Panasonic Blu-Ray 3D player. I love them all but I can't get the RX-V673 to accept streaming from my computer.
1) Media sharing is on in Windows 7 Professional (and the music folder from which I'm streaming is shared)
2) RX-V673 shows up in "My Computer"
3) I have installed the RX-V673 drivers on the computer
4) I have turned on DHCP in the network settings on the RX-V673
5) MAC address filter is off
6) Network Standby is on
When I go to Windows Media Player and select 'Play To RX-V673' the PLAY window pops up but the song does not play. After about a minute a message on the computer says, "Command failed."
Oddly, when I try to stream music to the Aquos TV it works great and plays through the RX-V673 just fine. My unhappiness stems from the fact that I should not have to have the TV on in order to listen to music. I must be missing something. I checked the device in windows and the computer has the correct MAC and IP addresses for the device. Air-Play works fine with my iPod. I tried power cycling the reciever, the computer, and the network switch. If it did not work great when playing through the TV by way of the same network I would have thought it was a network or computer issue. I must have something set up wrong on the receiver.
Anyone have any ideas?
(edit: when I click 'command failed' it says, "The device failed to execute the UPnP command... If you can't resolve the issue, a device update might be required. HRESULT: 0x80040210 UPnP Error 501)

Sorry I don't have time to go into more but I spent a few minutes tonight just to see if I could get this to work. I didn't have to do much to make it work but have mixed results.

1. Opened Windows Media Player on host PC.
2. Click the Stream button/drop down
3. Select automatically allow devices to play my media and then clicked More Streaming options
4. In more streaming options I made sure it had "Allowed" beside the RX-V673...

I then went to the Receiver and pulled up the possible servers with the NET button and selected my computer and user (Dell2000 DeadEd for example) and it searched for media.

The downside is the search is so slow. When I first tried to play one of the songs it failed. I tried another and it worked so maybe it is the file type or something. I didn't have much more time tonight to mess with it.

I'm still feeling out this receiver to see if I'm going to keep it. Obviously the more I get to work on it the more I like it. Yamaha does have a brighter sound than the other receivers. It's a matter of taste when it comes to that but I noticed today it seemed a bit brighter than the Onkyo did.

edit -- brutally slow. I will never use the receiver like this. Maybe if I put 10% of my music into a folder and have it only access that, it will be faster. I feared all receivers would be like this because they aren't exactly packed with RAM to handle such large amounts of files. Oh well...
sheshechic's Avatar sheshechic 10:23 AM 07-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by djshema View Post

I want to double check the speaker configuration that 673 can support. From what I tell from the pictures of the back of this receiver, it has Zone 1, Zone B and Zone 2 configuration.
I am trying to find a receiver that will allow me to set up zone 1 in a 5.1 configuration, then hook up 2 additional speakers in a 7.1 configuration (which Pioneer calls Zone B) that I will turn on occasionally (these are in a kitchen right off the TV room where ZOne 1 is playing) to play the same signal.
In addition I want to have Zone 2 to which I can hook up my deck speakers and play a separate signal.
Will 673 support having the ability to have 7.1 and a separate ZOne 2 at the same time? I do not mind bying an external amp for Zone two if Zone 2 is not powered.

I'd be interested in the answer to this question as well.

Also, I'd like to confirm that YPAO includes the sub? And does the video processing improve SD over hdmi?
ryan0000's Avatar ryan0000 11:27 AM 07-11-2012
This forum has done a lot for me, so here is my attempt to repay some of that:

I was able to find the RX-V673 for $389 including tax and shipping. Hear me out on how...

Go to amazon's page for the RX-V671 http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V671-7-1-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B004QR56SE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

,then click the 'new from' $360 button....

Go down to the 2nd option, expo electronics. Purchase it new from them. They no longer carry the model, and offered to upgrade for free to the newer model, rx-v673. I just received it in the mail yesterday (I wanted to wait to get it before posting on it).

$600 receiver for $389.
kriktsemaj99's Avatar kriktsemaj99 11:47 AM 07-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

... Also, I'd like to confirm that YPAO includes the sub?

It will set distance, level and crossover frequency, but I doubt it applies EQ to the sub because the 671 didn't. However, YPAO was changed for the 673 (Reflected Sound Control is now listed as a feature) so I suppose it's possible. The manual doesn't mention it, but one way to check is to go into the manual setup menu and check the manual EQ. If it lets you choose the subwoofer when setting parametric EQ manually, then YPAO will also support the sub (YPAO has always had access to the same filters you can set manually).
DeadEd's Avatar DeadEd 11:54 AM 07-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainan View Post

Sorry I don't have time to go into more but I spent a few minutes tonight just to see if I could get this to work. I didn't have to do much to make it work but have mixed results.
1. Opened Windows Media Player on host PC.
2. Click the Stream button/drop down
3. Select automatically allow devices to play my media and then clicked More Streaming options
4. In more streaming options I made sure it had "Allowed" beside the RX-V673...
I then went to the Receiver and pulled up the possible servers with the NET button and selected my computer and user (Dell2000 DeadEd for example) and it searched for media.
The downside is the search is so slow. When I first tried to play one of the songs it failed. I tried another and it worked so maybe it is the file type or something. I didn't have much more time tonight to mess with it.
I'm still feeling out this receiver to see if I'm going to keep it. Obviously the more I get to work on it the more I like it. Yamaha does have a brighter sound than the other receivers. It's a matter of taste when it comes to that but I noticed today it seemed a bit brighter than the Onkyo did.
edit -- brutally slow. I will never use the receiver like this. Maybe if I put 10% of my music into a folder and have it only access that, it will be faster. I feared all receivers would be like this because they aren't exactly packed with RAM to handle such large amounts of files. Oh well...

Well, what you are doing is not what I want for exactly the reason you found. It's just not convenient to use the remote to select a number of songs, especially since I have about 14K songs. What i WANT to do, and what I CAN do with other dlna devices (like the TV) is this: While inside Windows Media Player 12 on the host PC I right click a song. An option is present on the right click menu called, "Play To." When I select Play To I get two device choices. One is my AQuos TV and the other is my RX-V673. If I select the Aquos TV, the song plays on the TV right away. If I select the RX-V673 it stalls for a few seconds and then says, "Command failed." Then it says, "The device failed to execute the UPnP command." That's why I wonder if something is wrong with my receiver. OR maybe I have not set something on the reciever that I need to. I have emailed Yamaha but have not yet heard anything.
DeadEd's Avatar DeadEd 12:27 PM 07-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd View Post

*Question about streaming music to my RX-V673 from Windows 7*
I bought my RX-V673 last week as well as a Sharp Aquos LC-70C8470U 70" TV and a Panasonic Blu-Ray 3D player. I love them all but I can't get the RX-V673 to accept streaming from my computer.
1) Media sharing is on in Windows 7 Professional (and the music folder from which I'm streaming is shared)
2) RX-V673 shows up in "My Computer"
3) I have installed the RX-V673 drivers on the computer
4) I have turned on DHCP in the network settings on the RX-V673
5) MAC address filter is off
6) Network Standby is on
When I go to Windows Media Player and select 'Play To RX-V673' the PLAY window pops up but the song does not play. After about a minute a message on the computer says, "Command failed."
Oddly, when I try to stream music to the Aquos TV it works great and plays through the RX-V673 just fine. My unhappiness stems from the fact that I should not have to have the TV on in order to listen to music. I must be missing something. I checked the device in windows and the computer has the correct MAC and IP addresses for the device. Air-Play works fine with my iPod. I tried power cycling the reciever, the computer, and the network switch. If it did not work great when playing through the TV by way of the same network I would have thought it was a network or computer issue. I must have something set up wrong on the receiver.
Anyone have any ideas?
(edit: when I click 'command failed' it says, "The device failed to execute the UPnP command... If you can't resolve the issue, a device update might be required. HRESULT: 0x80040210 UPnP Error 501)

**ANSWERED**

OK, the Yamaha tech support got back to me and I am, in fact, an idiot. All I had to do was press the 'On Screen' button on the remote and choose the 'Server' input. When you do that you can then press the up arrow and turn on DLNA. Now it works like it is supposed to!! Woo hoo!! I'm very happy! One interesting thing... While inside Windows Media Player 12 on my host PC I right click a playlist and an option is present on the right click menu called, "Play To." I select Play To I get two device choices. One is my AQuos TV and the other is my RX-V673. If I select the Aquos TV, the song plays on the TV and displays the album artwork on screen. If I select the RX-V673 it plays but with nothing on screen. I guess this makes sense as I'm playing music, not watching TV. On the TV it's image centered to the artwork is nice. But the bottom line is that I want the TV off when I listen to music so it's not an issue.

Thanks Yamaha support!!
Kainan's Avatar Kainan 11:51 AM 07-12-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan0000 View Post

This forum has done a lot for me, so here is my attempt to repay some of that:
I was able to find the RX-V673 for $389 including tax and shipping. Hear me out on how...
Go to amazon's page for the RX-V671 http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V671-7-1-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B004QR56SE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
,then click the 'new from' $360 button....
Go down to the 2nd option, expo electronics. Purchase it new from them. They no longer carry the model, and offered to upgrade for free to the newer model, rx-v673. I just received it in the mail yesterday (I wanted to wait to get it before posting on it).
$600 receiver for $389.

This will not work. If you go to their site it shows $599.95 and I would bet you they are not going to honor it at $389. I wouldn't take a chance in wasting a lot of time and hassle to try to do this. Maybe you will get lucky though. smile.gif
Kainan's Avatar Kainan 11:55 AM 07-12-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd View Post

**ANSWERED**
OK, the Yamaha tech support got back to me and I am, in fact, an idiot. All I had to do was press the 'On Screen' button on the remote and choose the 'Server' input. When you do that you can then press the up arrow and turn on DLNA. Now it works like it is supposed to!! Woo hoo!! I'm very happy! One interesting thing... While inside Windows Media Player 12 on my host PC I right click a playlist and an option is present on the right click menu called, "Play To." I select Play To I get two device choices. One is my AQuos TV and the other is my RX-V673. If I select the Aquos TV, the song plays on the TV and displays the album artwork on screen. If I select the RX-V673 it plays but with nothing on screen. I guess this makes sense as I'm playing music, not watching TV. On the TV it's image centered to the artwork is nice. But the bottom line is that I want the TV off when I listen to music so it's not an issue.
Thanks Yamaha support!!

Thanks for the info. I will try this when I get home as well. I purchased a Roku from Amazon yesterday so I will be using that for Slacker and other things. If it works great I will buy another for the bedroom.

I can tell you that Yamaha support has been awesome. I have asked them tons of questions and they have replied back in 24 hours with solid answers. I could have only wished that Onkyo support was this good.

One thing they did confirm is about the upconversion. The following is from Yamaha support.

The conversion from component IN to HDMI OUT accepts only 480i input and converts up to 4K.
- This is true, only 480i component input is converted/scaled to HDMI out.

The conversion from component IN to component OUT accepts 480i,480p, 720p, 1080i and converts up to 1080i.
- This is not how the chart reads. Basically, component in/out is just a pass through - no conversion or scaling.

schambo's Avatar schambo 02:11 PM 07-12-2012
I bought mine from Expo two weeks ago and originally went to a retail location to get the 671 but they were out of stock. Best they could do for me was $499 for the 673 and $399 for the 573. I grabbed the 673 and haven't looked back.
schambo's Avatar schambo 02:29 PM 07-12-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by djshema View Post

I want to double check the speaker configuration that 673 can support. From what I tell from the pictures of the back of this receiver, it has Zone 1, Zone B and Zone 2 configuration.
I am trying to find a receiver that will allow me to set up zone 1 in a 5.1 configuration, then hook up 2 additional speakers in a 7.1 configuration (which Pioneer calls Zone B) that I will turn on occasionally (these are in a kitchen right off the TV room where ZOne 1 is playing) to play the same signal.
In addition I want to have Zone 2 to which I can hook up my deck speakers and play a separate signal.
Will 673 support having the ability to have 7.1 and a separate ZOne 2 at the same time? I do not mind bying an external amp for Zone two if Zone 2 is not powered.

Alright, this is what I can tell you. It has 7.1 plus Zone 2. Once you turn zone 2 on, it will switch to 5.1 mode. You will not be able to run zone 2 with 7.1 simultaneously. For me that is not an issue. When I'm watching a movie i leave zone 2 off and my back surrounds play (7.1). Than when I'm outside I use Zone 2 with (5.1). The back surround channels can also be used for presence speakers which might be your best option for the kitchen. Another nice feature is you can wire it to bi-amped speakers for more power. The Zone 2 option really works great. However, keep in mind on the 673 it will only play from an analog source. You would need the 773 to get the ability for zone 2 to play from a digital source. Hope that helps.
Kainan's Avatar Kainan 05:18 PM 07-12-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

It will set distance, level and crossover frequency, but I doubt it applies EQ to the sub because the 671 didn't. However, YPAO was changed for the 673 (Reflected Sound Control is now listed as a feature) so I suppose it's possible. The manual doesn't mention it, but one way to check is to go into the manual setup menu and check the manual EQ. If it lets you choose the subwoofer when setting parametric EQ manually, then YPAO will also support the sub (YPAO has always had access to the same filters you can set manually).

When I go to Manual Setup, Parametric EQ, It has Manual, YPAO Flat, YPAO Front, YPAO Natural Through. If I go to Manual it does not have the subwoofer. It has Front L/R, Center and Surround L/R. I hope this helps.
Kainan's Avatar Kainan 06:24 PM 07-12-2012
One more update. A friend recommended running the Wii composite cable and letting the receiver upconvert the signal to 1080p so that I could keep everything on a single HDMI. I tested this today and, as I expected, it looks horrible. It just shows that you can upconvert junk and it will still look like junk. The Wii hardware puts out a much richer picture in 480p. The colors were vibrant and had punch. Oh well, I still can't believe the Wii doesn't have HDMI out.
kriktsemaj99's Avatar kriktsemaj99 05:43 AM 07-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainan View Post

When I go to Manual Setup, Parametric EQ, It has Manual, YPAO Flat, YPAO Front, YPAO Natural Through. If I go to Manual it does not have the subwoofer. It has Front L/R, Center and Surround L/R. I hope this helps.

Yes, I think that confirms that the 673 does not EQ the sub.
ryan0000's Avatar ryan0000 02:52 PM 07-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainan View Post

This will not work. If you go to their site it shows $599.95 and I would bet you they are not going to honor it at $389. I wouldn't take a chance in wasting a lot of time and hassle to try to do this. Maybe you will get lucky though. smile.gif

It will absolutely work. In fact, did work (past tense). Yes on their site it is listed for $599. But they are still taking orders for 'new v671's on amazon's 'buy new from' page, listed at $389. I made the purchase from amazon on that site ( i listed the link above). I was contacted that same day by expo's customer service and they DID honor the $389 price (nothing to 'bet' about). And sent me a brand new v673.

I love this forum and have gotten countless help from it, so I just posted what I got as a deal to the forum once I received the product in the mail...

btw, very happy with it so far. Only problem I see with it so far is that the HDMI passthrough lags a bit, so it feels like **** to play video games through it. Shouldn't matter for movies or cable (or maybe its just not as noticeable), but I'm going to switch back to: HDMI direct from xbox to TV, and Optical direct from Xbox to receiver.)


Anyone else have this lag issue... I've never run video through the receiver before.
Kainan's Avatar Kainan 10:56 PM 07-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan0000 View Post

It will absolutely work. In fact, did work (past tense). Yes on their site it is listed for $599. But they are still taking orders for 'new v671's on amazon's 'buy new from' page, listed at $389. I made the purchase from amazon on that site ( i listed the link above). I was contacted that same day by expo's customer service and they DID honor the $389 price (nothing to 'bet' about). And sent me a brand new v673.
I love this forum and have gotten countless help from it, so I just posted what I got as a deal to the forum once I received the product in the mail...
btw, very happy with it so far. Only problem I see with it so far is that the HDMI passthrough lags a bit, so it feels like **** to play video games through it. Shouldn't matter for movies or cable (or maybe its just not as noticeable), but I'm going to switch back to: HDMI direct from xbox to TV, and Optical direct from Xbox to receiver.)
Anyone else have this lag issue... I've never run video through the receiver before.

Okay so maybe it will work. I don't mean to call you a liar. I'm just saying... knowing my luck they would actually ship me a 671. smile.gif

I will test the videogame playing tomorrow and get back to you on it. I have the 360, PS3 and Wii so I will give them all a spin. Isn't there a way to bypass the video conversion or this is what you are doing already? I'll post up tomorrow and thanks for the heads up.
Kainan's Avatar Kainan 08:30 PM 07-14-2012
smile.gif Gaming -- I tested the 360 playing Black Ops for a good couple of hours today and I didn't see any lag. It plays great.

smile.gif Slacker -- I found in testing AirPlay that you can indeed play Slacker through the iPod. It even loads the song info and picture to the TV screen. I thought I had read that this wouldn't work so I was pleasantly surprised.

confused.gif Music as a whole sounds pretty bad to me when it comes to base. I noticed that with music the subwoofer isn't outputting anything. I'm thinking it is the way we hooked it up this time (directly from subwoofer out on receiver to subwoofer in on the sub). Before I remember it had a splitter running full audio into it but I had some help hooking it up this time and we did it different. I've tried tons of different sound settings and end up leaving it on 7 channel stereo because out of all of them, it sounds the best. Even this isn't very good to me though.

confused.gif Lastly, YPAO set all of my speakers to "large" and I'm wondering if I should manually change them to "small" or leave them. I have Boston Acoustics and they are VR750s in the front I believe with a large center and two bookshelf CR6s for rear which i think have 6" speakers. Thoughts?
greeny03's Avatar greeny03 04:27 AM 07-15-2012
Cheers guys!! You have answered a few questions for me! Just picked up my Rx-v 773 on Friday! Awesome sound in the end, I found that the YPAO actually sets everything a little off in my opinion. Went in and changed the db on every speaker and the hz on the subs and now they are punching like they should. Have still got to get it streaming from the PC but maybe tomorrow. Haha, scared the crap outtake bro in law when he turned his iPod up, nearly sent him deaf for a second and the amp shut itself down with an overload lol!! Overall a very nice sound! Happy so far!!
sftl97's Avatar sftl97 05:28 AM 07-15-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainan View Post

Okay so maybe it will work. I don't mean to call you a liar. I'm just saying... knowing my luck they would actually ship me a 671. smile.gif
.

I was just about to try this then i checked EE and they show the v671 as being in stock.
gkgibbs's Avatar gkgibbs 07:05 AM 07-15-2012
After going back and forth between Denon and Yamaha, I went with the V673. Took a few hours to get dialed in. Started out with the auto speaker setup, then tweaked things.
Just discovered this morning, that she'll play .FLAC files through the USB port biggrin.gif
Needless to say the Panasonic Blu-Ray I bought for this very reason is going back today. FLAC files played through it, either burned to a disc or on USB sound like crap.
Probably grab an LG unit to match up with the TV.
djshema's Avatar djshema 08:58 AM 07-15-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by schambo View Post

Alright, this is what I can tell you. It has 7.1 plus Zone 2. Once you turn zone 2 on, it will switch to 5.1 mode. You will not be able to run zone 2 with 7.1 simultaneously. For me that is not an issue. When I'm watching a movie i leave zone 2 off and my back surrounds play (7.1). Than when I'm outside I use Zone 2 with (5.1). The back surround channels can also be used for presence speakers which might be your best option for the kitchen. Another nice feature is you can wire it to bi-amped speakers for more power. The Zone 2 option really works great. However, keep in mind on the 673 it will only play from an analog source. You would need the 773 to get the ability for zone 2 to play from a digital source. Hope that helps.
Thank you for that explanation. It was very helpfull. Do you know if there is a way to have all 9 speakers play the same signal, as in a party mode when the same music would be played inside and outside? Also, do you think if I set up an external amp will the receiver go from 7.1 to 5.1 when zone 2 is on?
Miami Wired's Avatar Miami Wired 07:31 AM 07-16-2012
Just wanted to chime in on the lack of Pandora situation that was mentioned earlier. It is correct the receiver is not able to stream Pandora on it's own, on the other hand the Pandora app supports Airplay. Using your Iphone or Ipad and I believe Android phone as well, you can start up the Pandora app, and hit the Airplay button to play it through the receiver. On the Ipad the icon is hidden, you have to hit the home button twice and scroll to the left the see it, on the Iphone it's on the bottom right.
vertices's Avatar vertices 01:10 PM 07-16-2012
Just ordered one. Primarily for Airplay and Zone 2. Can't wait to hook it up tomorrow. Apple TV coming as well. I wanted the built-in Airplay for easy Spotify audio to Zone 2 without having to use a DAC but also wanted full Apple TV for display mirroring. Between Blu-Ray players, and all the iOS options, the lack of Pandora means zero to me. I also subscribe to Pandora but I can simply stream it from an iOS device, Apple TV, or my Blu-Ray, or even back in from my TV. No big deal.
DeadEd's Avatar DeadEd 04:05 PM 07-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainan View Post

confused.gif Music as a whole sounds pretty bad to me when it comes to base. I noticed that with music the subwoofer isn't outputting anything. I'm thinking it is the way we hooked it up this time (directly from subwoofer out on receiver to subwoofer in on the sub). Before I remember it had a splitter running full audio into it but I had some help hooking it up this time and we did it different. I've tried tons of different sound settings and end up leaving it on 7 channel stereo because out of all of them, it sounds the best. Even this isn't very good to me though.

OK, I'm wondering about this too; glad I'm not the only one. I've been reading the manual. Right now all I have hooked up is a center (Polk), two fronts (Boston Acoustic towers), and a Polk subwoofer. It does not want to use the subwoofer. I don't get it. When I look at the manual it shows in the diagrams that the subwoofer is on even when listening to Net radio. The only way I can get it to turn on is by playing the BD/DVD. But even when I stream Pandora through the DVD player it does not use the subwoofer. I tried going to speaker setup and tried the tone testing. I have the subwoofer on, plugged into a single 1-SW out. But even on the front panel display on the RXV673 it shows that it is not using the subwoofer.

Why? What am I doing wrong? I tried playing with the 'Scene' buttons and some of them turn off the center speaker, none turn on the subwoofer. I'm stumped.

Anyone have any ideas?
Tags: Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver
1  2  3 4  5  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop