The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 3509 Old 01-08-2013, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joycetopher View Post

This is a few weeks old but thought i would follow up with solution . i have a d link 655 router and it was filtering ports so you have to manually change it through the admin setting. Not east to figure out at all but here are the steps if anyone has issues with airplay . works fine now with any device
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3846783?start=0&tstart=0

Sorry for being vague but this was in reference to airplay not showing up on any devices, but all other network functions working. ( server, pandora, iphone app, ect.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3509 Old 01-09-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

No, you won't see the GUI unless you connect to the TV by HDMI (p. 27 of the manual). And you won't be able to connect any HDMI video sources to the receiver either. They are pretty much assuming you will use this with an HDMI TV, although you can control it via a web browser if you connect a network cable.

I have a Pioneer Elite 530HD TV (no hdmi) and will be upgrading my HK AVR325 receiver. I was ready to purchase the RX-V673, but then saw the above post. Is that a deal-breaker? I'm assuming I can still hook it up via component to my TV, but the caveat is I can ONLY see the GUI from the IP address of the receiver via my browser. Is that correct? I will be upgrading my TV eventually, but I wanted to "future-proof" my DVD player and Receiver first as I am waiting for OLED TV's to finally make it out.

So I guess the simplified question is "Can I get by with this for a while until I upgrade my TV"?

thanks much!

Larsin
post #903 of 3509 Old 01-09-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 161
You can use component from receiver to TV, but you will then have to use component from your Blu-ray player etc. to the receiver. That's not ideal as you don't get lossless audio, and many new Blu-ray players don't have component outputs.
post #904 of 3509 Old 01-09-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-SE View Post

In addition to your HDMI connections, What I mean by redundant analog connections is patching a set of RCA cables from R/L audio outputs from your DTV or your BDP to audio inputs 1 or 2 or AV 5,6 on the Yamaha. Then play back audio from these sources through the respective inputs out to zone 2. However some BDPs don't have analog R/L audio outputs. In that case, a digital to analog converter
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Digital-Analog-Audio-Converter/dp/B005PWPUW6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357459919&sr=8-2&keywords=fio+digital+to+analog
can be installed between the BDP's digital output and one of the the Yamaha's analog inputs. For the adapter to work, you have to keep your BDP's digital output settings to PCM instead of bitstream.
Or you can run analog audio from your TV to the Yamaha, but the TV would have to be ON in order to send HDMI audio from your BDP to the TV, and analog out from the TV to the Yamaha, and out to zone 2.
There is a firmware update available from Yamaha which allows you to play Pandora, Sirius/XM, Rhapsody directly through the Yamaha, without the BDP. Zone 2 will play these network apps, as well as USB, without issue.
Don't forget to turn up the volume of zone 2, after you turn it on for the first time.

Thanks 10-SE It worked and sounds great.. Couple of quick questions..

I'm not sure when I run the YPAO for the first time if I should disconnect my speakers in zone2 as they are on the other side of the house.

Also I can't for the life of me find on the remote the button to turn off zone 2..It's a hassle shutting it down manually on the receiver.

TIA

Bill
post #905 of 3509 Old 01-09-2013, 12:56 PM

Hey guys, bought my 673 a week ago, and can't get the YPAO to work. It worked the first day i used it (didn't have my surrounds hooked up yet), but now that i have surrounds in the place, my YPAO says "E-1: No Front SP---Front Speakers Are Not Detected". But when i play test sound, it plays through all of my speakers. Any idea what is going on? Have anyone had the same issue?confused.gif
post #906 of 3509 Old 01-09-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil-007 View Post

TROUBLE WITH YPAO:
I tried setting up my 673 with Pioneer Speakers and I get this error message:
E-8: No signal - Microphone cannot detect test tones.
I get this right at the 13% mark during the "Measure" part of the setup. I get the beep sounds for the Subwoofer test and then at the 13% mark, I get the error and it stops. Cannot go any further.
Has anyone encountered this? If so, what am I doing wrong? Or is the YPAO microphone dead on arrival?
E-1: No Front SP---Front Speakers Are Not Detected
I have kinda the same issue, except mine says E-1: No Front SP---Front Speakers Are Not Detected, have you found any solution to this?
post #907 of 3509 Old 01-09-2013, 09:59 PM

Liked: 14
Coming from the BD forum, a topic came up that has me thinking. There was another member asking about bitrate not showing up when DTS-HD MA is being played from a BD source. They indicated it would show up in the receiver when DTS or DD are played.

I'm watching Lord of the Rings FOTR on EE BD and the audio is DTS-HD MA in 6.1.

When I press Audio on my BD (BDT 220), it indicates a soundtrack of 1ENG DTS-HD MSTR Multi.

When I go into my 673 information on the audio signal the receiver is receiving, it indicates the following...

Format - DTS
Channel - 5.1(3/2/0.1)
Sampling - 48kHz
Bitrate - 1536kbps
Dialogue - 0dB

I am only running a 5.1 system, so maybe the receiver is mixing down the 6.1 soundtrack to 5.1?

But the format just says DTS, shouldn't it say DTS-HD MA or Master Audio?

Or does the receiver just indicate DTS, no matter if it's really DTS-HD MA or DTS-HD High Resolution Audio?
post #908 of 3509 Old 01-10-2013, 04:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdefav1 View Post

Coming from the BD forum, a topic came up that has me thinking. There was another member asking about bitrate not showing up when DTS-HD MA is being played from a BD source. They indicated it would show up in the receiver when DTS or DD are played.

I'm watching Lord of the Rings FOTR on EE BD and the audio is DTS-HD MA in 6.1.

When I press Audio on my BD (BDT 220), it indicates a soundtrack of 1ENG DTS-HD MSTR Multi.

When I go into my 673 information on the audio signal the receiver is receiving, it indicates the following...

Format - DTS
Channel - 5.1(3/2/0.1)
Sampling - 48kHz
Bitrate - 1536kbps
Dialogue - 0dB

I am only running a 5.1 system, so maybe the receiver is mixing down the 6.1 soundtrack to 5.1?

But the format just says DTS, shouldn't it say DTS-HD MA or Master Audio?

Or does the receiver just indicate DTS, no matter if it's really DTS-HD MA or DTS-HD High Resolution Audio?
Not sure about the GUI but it should say more than DTS on the receiver display. I havent watched a blu ray since I got my 671 but my 467 did not have a GUI. The front panel display did distinguish between MA and High Res.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #909 of 3509 Old 01-10-2013, 04:36 AM

hi all - can someone please tell me whether it is possible to connect the amp to a network wirelessly without having to shell out for Yamaha's wireless dongle? i have apple tv already and don't want to shell out more!
post #910 of 3509 Old 01-10-2013, 04:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmartyn View Post

hi all - can someone please tell me whether it is possible to connect the amp to a network wirelessly without having to shell out for Yamaha's wireless dongle? i have apple tv already and don't want to shell out more!
Not that I know of. Will a long ethernet cable work?

post #911 of 3509 Old 01-10-2013, 04:54 AM

it would, but i won't be able to use one. from what i can tell the yamaha wireless streamer (costing £100) is essentially the same as any normal streamer costing around £20 - anyone know otherwise?
post #912 of 3509 Old 01-10-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmartyn View Post

Not sure if it'd be any cheaper, but you could just get wireless->ethernet bridge.

Perhaps something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Universal-Ethernet-Adapter-GWU627/dp/B004UAKCS6/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357826944&sr=1-4&keywords=wireless+ethernet+bridge

You could also look at powerline adapters.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #913 of 3509 Old 01-10-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Not sure about the GUI but it should say more than DTS on the receiver display. I havent watched a blu ray since I got my 671 but my 467 did not have a GUI. The front panel display did distinguish between MA and High Res.

Hmmm, I'll have to re-check the display. I could have sworn that said DTS only as well.

I'm also wondering if it's a setting I have on the 673 that is limiting the soundtrack.

If anyone with a 673 (or a 671 in your case Bond, I would think the GUI/Display would have the same function) can put in a BD disc that is encoded with DTS-HD MA 6.1 or higher, but you're only utilizing a 5.1 format for your surround, check to see what is displayed on the GUI interface under the Audio Information, as well as the display, I would appreciate it.
post #914 of 3509 Old 01-10-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdefav1 View Post

Hmmm, I'll have to re-check the display. I could have sworn that said DTS only as well.

I'm also wondering if it's a setting I have on the 673 that is limiting the soundtrack.

If anyone with a 673 (or a 671 in your case Bond, I would think the GUI/Display would have the same function) can put in a BD disc that is encoded with DTS-HD MA 6.1 or higher, but you're only utilizing a 5.1 format for your surround, check to see what is displayed on the GUI interface under the Audio Information, as well as the display, I would appreciate it.

I'd double check your player settings to see if it's set to convert those high res formats to standard DTS.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #915 of 3509 Old 01-10-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:

You can use component from receiver to TV, but you will then have to use component from your Blu-ray player etc. to the receiver. That's not ideal as you don't get lossless audio, and many new Blu-ray players don't have component outputs.

kriktsemaj99,

Thanks for the reply!

I bought this to connect from component to HDMI on my new blu-ray/dvd player, but understand the loss of fidelity:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?seq=1&format=2&p_id=5971&CAWELAID=1329452119&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CMPc16KC3rQCFXCmPAodKTQAig

I just want to make sure if I buy the RX-V673, I will get some use out of it rather then sitting in the box waiting for a new TV. I plan on purchasing a new TV later this year. I assume I will get the same picture quality as I have now?
post #916 of 3509 Old 01-10-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post

I'd double check your player settings to see if it's set to convert those high res formats to standard DTS.

That's a good point, didn't think of that. Do BD players actually do this?

I know on my BD player (Panny BDT 220), when I pushed the audio button, the soundtrack did indicate 1ENG DTS-HD MSTR Multi.

Maybe I'll jump back over to the BD BDT 220 forum and see if anyone is aware of a setting.

Thanks!
post #917 of 3509 Old 01-10-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsin View Post

kriktsemaj99,

Thanks for the reply!

I bought this to connect from component to HDMI on my new blu-ray/dvd player, but understand the loss of fidelity:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?seq=1&format=2&p_id=5971&CAWELAID=1329452119&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CMPc16KC3rQCFXCmPAodKTQAig

I just want to make sure if I buy the RX-V673, I will get some use out of it rather then sitting in the box waiting for a new TV. I plan on purchasing a new TV later this year. I assume I will get the same picture quality as I have now?

If you bought that to convert the HDMI out from the Blu-ray/Receiver to component, it won't work. You'll need something like an HDFury to do that.

post #918 of 3509 Old 01-10-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I bought this to connect from component to HDMI on my new blu-ray/dvd player...

I'm not sure what you were planning to do, but that's not the right device. Do you have a Blu-ray player with component outputs? If so, just use component cables until you get a new TV (component from player to receiver, and component from receiver to TV). An optical cable for audio will be OK until you switch to all HDMI cables (optical can do full bit rate lossy DTS, which is still excellent quality).
post #919 of 3509 Old 01-10-2013, 11:44 AM

Yes, I just upgraded my old Pioneer DVD to a Sony® BDPS790 BluRay, which I don't think has component. I was hoping to go HDMI from DVD to converter>Receiver Component and keep using Optical for audio. If the converter I bought won't work, then I may be stuck with my old DVD player for a while too. So my plan to upgrade DVD, Receiver and finally TV might be shot LOL.
post #920 of 3509 Old 01-10-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post

That was it, thanks Oryan!

There was a setting (Panny BDT 220) in the Audio section for BD-Video Secondary Audio. I switched this to off. In the on setting, the player does the decoding and DTS-HD MSTR/HR tracks get converted and sent to the AVR as DTS. When switched to off, it sends the original track. Now my receiver indicates DTS-HD MSTR, however, the Bitrate is blank now on the receiver.

It kind of sounds the same. Maybe I don't have a trained ear to distinguish between the two.

Anyways, LOTR sounds terrific either way on BD!
post #921 of 3509 Old 01-10-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I just upgraded my old Pioneer DVD to a Sony® BDPS790 BluRay, which I don't think has component. I was hoping to go HDMI from DVD to converter>Receiver Component and keep using Optical for audio. If the converter I bought won't work, then I may be stuck with my old DVD player for a while too. So my plan to upgrade DVD, Receiver and finally TV might be shot LOL.

That converter goes from component to HDMI, not the other way around. Even if it did, there's a good chance it wouldn't work, since most all HDMI signals use HDCP copy protection. The HDFury line would work, as that's what I use to connect my old Philips HD CRT with component only to my HDMI sources.

post #922 of 3509 Old 01-10-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The device you linked converts component to HDMI, not the reverse.
post #923 of 3509 Old 01-10-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:

The device you linked converts component to HDMI, not the reverse.

Well crap....oh well...maybe I can use it for something else. Guess I'll have to look at the HDFury product.

thanks much all!
post #924 of 3509 Old 01-11-2013, 01:00 PM

Quick question for you guys. I have this receiver and a 5.1 pioneer speaker setup. If I'm playing 7.1 DTS-HD audio via blu rays and the like, the receiver will know my system is 5.1 (setup that way) and not have any gaps in audio where it might send that info to the 2 speakers I don't have correct? Or am I just better off not using RAW data and having the receiver just decode normal DTS?
post #925 of 3509 Old 01-11-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubsss View Post

Quick question for you guys. I have this receiver and a 5.1 pioneer speaker setup. If I'm playing 7.1 DTS-HD audio via blu rays and the like, the receiver will know my system is 5.1 (setup that way) and not have any gaps in audio where it might send that info to the 2 speakers I don't have correct? Or am I just better off not using RAW data and having the receiver just decode normal DTS?

The 673 will convert it to 5.1, no gaps. It's just removing 2 channels, the SB's. It will sound just fine.
post #926 of 3509 Old 01-11-2013, 01:20 PM

Hello I have a new out of the box rx v773 receiver and have a question about input selection and "on screen viewing". I have setup HDTV, Boxee and DVD player. Customized them all to "scenes". My problem is that when i try to switch back to tv viewing (cable box) i get stuck on "on screen viewing" and have to manually switch TV input to HDMI 1. From what i understand on screen forces switch to HDMI 4. What am i missing?

Thanks!
post #927 of 3509 Old 01-12-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:

With extra bass you have the sub and the mains both playing the low frequencies. Normally you would just set your main speakers as "small" (with a suitable crossover frequency) and then the sub will be used without enabling extra bass.

There are a few reasons for only using the sub to play the low bass. One being that you can move the sub around to find the optimum location in the room (in some rooms this can make a huge improvement in the bass), whereas you can't really move the main speakers to optimize the bass. Also you end up with double bass at a specific frequency range (where the sub and mains overlap).

This works much better than extra bass in the config. Thanks!
post #928 of 3509 Old 01-12-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

imo Extra bass would only be for if you had some really kickin towers or a weak sub.

post #929 of 3509 Old 01-12-2013, 02:05 PM

I am looking to replace an Onkyo 707 avr which died today. Well, not died but I'm getting no sound which seems to be common with this receiver. I am looking at the
Yamaha RX-V673 but I can't tell if it has a loop out connection? I had a headphone amp connected to my onkyo via the tape out connection and I need to verify if I have a way to connect the headphone amp to this Yamaha receiver. I see it has a audio out near the bottom middle of the rear panel but I'm not sure if this does the same thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
post #930 of 3509 Old 01-12-2013, 02:10 PM

I ran the YPAO setup and it did a pretty good job. It actually set the distances pretty accurate, give or take a few inches.

I set the volume on the RW12D to -9db before I ran it and YPAO set the sub level on the receiver to -3.5db, which I think is a little low. It also set the XO to 100Hz, which I think is ok, because my fronts can only dig down to about 61Hz.

I would like to add a little more bass, but am struggling with which setting to use on the 673. There is a main level setting (which is at -3.5db), but I also noticed there is a subwoofer trim setting too in the Options settings.

Does anyone know what the difference in the main level subwoofer setting and the trim subwoofer setting is? The manual doesn't really give a good explanation, just that the subwoofer trim fine tunes it and the main level setting, just adjusts the volume.

I wonder if I want more bass, do I adjust the main level or the trim?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V673 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page