The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1081 of 3482 Old 02-05-2013, 10:56 AM
Member
 
alexandru27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Iasi, Romania
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Heh, silly me, I too have that cd but didn't bother to check it smile.gif

Oh, and eventually I've managed to download the manual myself from the Yamaha site - that previous error message was probably due to the fact that I wasnt using Adobe Acrobat reader (for pdf files), but Foxit reader.
Thanks anyway.

Eager to test the receiver, but for now I don't have the speakers as yet. I was planning to buy a 5.0 Tannoy mercury V1/VR/VC set in a few days - but that was when I still had the RX473. Now I am wondering if I should look for something else.
My room is small (11x10 feet - about 13.5 square metres) and the speakers will be placed very close to the corners, and the surrounds hanged on the side walls, right on the corners. I hope it won't affect the sound much. I plan to buy a subwoofer too in 2 months.

Someone recommended me a 5.0 set from Q Acoustics(2020i and 2010i) - what do you think, I should prefer them?
I can't audition them unfortunatelly - but all I can say is that I dont like the sound to be too harsh/bright.
Which do you think are less bright - the Tannoys or the Q Acoustics?

Thank you!

Denon AVR-2113, Monitor Audio BX2/BXC/BXFX, Pioneer BDP-150K, LG 37LH5000, Sennheiser PC-350
alexandru27 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1082 of 3482 Old 02-05-2013, 01:49 PM
Senior Member
 
MarsianMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandru27 View Post

Eager to test the receiver, but for now I don't have the speakers as yet. I was planning to buy a 5.0 Tannoy mercury V1/VR/VC set in a few days - but that was when I still had the RX473. Now I am wondering if I should look for something else.
My room is small (11x10 feet - about 13.5 square metres) and the speakers will be placed very close to the corners, and the surrounds hanged on the side walls, right on the corners. I hope it won't affect the sound much. I plan to buy a subwoofer too in 2 months.

Someone recommended me a 5.0 set from Q Acoustics(2020i and 2010i) - what do you think, I should prefer them?
I can't audition them unfortunatelly - but all I can say is that I dont like the sound to be too harsh/bright.
Which do you think are less bright - the Tannoys or the Q Acoustics?

Thank you!
Post the above in the speaker forum and include budget and what you listen to (e.g. ratio of HT vs music). You will (probably) get much better responses and suggestions.
MarsianMan is offline  
post #1083 of 3482 Old 02-05-2013, 01:50 PM
Senior Member
 
MarsianMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandru27 View Post

Eager to test the receiver, but for now I don't have the speakers as yet. I was planning to buy a 5.0 Tannoy mercury V1/VR/VC set in a few days - but that was when I still had the RX473. Now I am wondering if I should look for something else.
My room is small (11x10 feet - about 13.5 square metres) and the speakers will be placed very close to the corners, and the surrounds hanged on the side walls, right on the corners. I hope it won't affect the sound much. I plan to buy a subwoofer too in 2 months.

Someone recommended me a 5.0 set from Q Acoustics(2020i and 2010i) - what do you think, I should prefer them?
I can't audition them unfortunatelly - but all I can say is that I dont like the sound to be too harsh/bright.
Which do you think are less bright - the Tannoys or the Q Acoustics?

Thank you!
Post the above in the speaker forum and include budget and what you listen to (e.g. ratio of HT vs music). You will (probably) get much better responses and suggestions.
MarsianMan is offline  
post #1084 of 3482 Old 02-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Member
 
Flatliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandru27 View Post

My room is small (11x10 feet - about 13.5 square metres) and the speakers will be placed very close to the corners, and the surrounds hanged on the side walls, right on the corners. I hope it won't affect the sound much. I plan to buy a subwoofer too in 2 months.

That's a really small area so I think the smaller Tannoy's would be fine, particularly with a sub added. Position wise, corners for your mains is not ideal and will likely result in a more boomy mid bass and poor openness/ transparency in the mid to high range frequencies as the speakers sonically interact with the corners. That would be my guess anyway but you could always try it ans see where the ideal location might be in such a small room. Even moving the fronts a few feet in from the side walls would help. These Tannoy's are also ported I believe and you may find it helpful in your "close to corner" location to plug the port with tissue or fabric. This actually improved the sound of my Tannoy classic M1's greatly which I use for rears (My 25 year old Vandersteen 1b's are my fronts and I have a sub (Rythmik) on the way). The rear's ideally would be at ear level, not up high near the ceiling. This Yamaha RX-V673 sounds phenomenal with regard to sound quality to a level I would not have expected at this price.
Flatliner is offline  
post #1085 of 3482 Old 02-06-2013, 08:43 AM
Member
 
LETH2AL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello,

I have a question. When I watch tv, blu rays, games etc I have to turn the volume to -20 to -15 to really get it loud enough to enjoy. Is that too high? I'm turning it up over half way to get it to an enjoyable sound level. Could it be because I have the calibration of the speakers set to small (YPAO). I'm using klipsch quintets with it. Does having the Volume up that high kill the life of the reciever or is it normal to have it that high? Sorry for such a stupid question, I just never had a nice reciever like this.
LETH2AL is offline  
post #1086 of 3482 Old 02-06-2013, 08:46 AM
Member
 
alexandru27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Iasi, Romania
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks and you are both right. I will post my enquiery in that area.
The Tannoys are front ported (with the exception of the center), while the Q Acoustics are rear ported. That would make the Tannoys more fitted to be close to the walls, I guess - at least as compared to Q Acoustics.
What bothers me is that I keep hearing about a hiss noise due to the front port in some speakers - I hope it's not the case with these Tannoys - especially the rear ones, which, being wall hanged, and due to their thinner construction, have the bass response reduced anyway.
Unfortunatelly it's difficult close to impossible to place the fronts a few feet away from the side walls. I'll see what I'll do about that.
The ratio would be about equal music/movies. In music I prefer symphonic/jazz, but also some rock.
Budged...for the 5.0 Tannoy Mercury I pay 2350 lei (about 500 euros), and for the 5.0 Q Acoustics 2200 lei.
At most I could pay, say, 550 euros

Denon AVR-2113, Monitor Audio BX2/BXC/BXFX, Pioneer BDP-150K, LG 37LH5000, Sennheiser PC-350
alexandru27 is offline  
post #1087 of 3482 Old 02-06-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETH2AL View Post

Hello,

I have a question. When I watch tv, blu rays, games etc I have to turn the volume to -20 to -15 to really get it loud enough to enjoy. Is that too high? I'm turning it up over half way to get it to an enjoyable sound level. Could it be because I have the calibration of the speakers set to small (YPAO). I'm using klipsch quintets with it. Does having the Volume up that high kill the life of the reciever or is it normal to have it that high? Sorry for such a stupid question, I just never had a nice reciever like this.
Loud and enjoyable are relative terms so its hard to say. It doesnt take much to push those quintets but if its a large room you may have to turn it that loud. I can tell you that you are not hurting the receiver.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is online now  
post #1088 of 3482 Old 02-06-2013, 04:00 PM
Senior Member
 
JD NC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETH2AL View Post

Hello,

I have a question. When I watch tv, blu rays, games etc I have to turn the volume to -20 to -15 to really get it loud enough to enjoy. Is that too high? I'm turning it up over half way to get it to an enjoyable sound level. Could it be because I have the calibration of the speakers set to small (YPAO). I'm using klipsch quintets with it. Does having the Volume up that high kill the life of the reciever or is it normal to have it that high? Sorry for such a stupid question, I just never had a nice reciever like this.

-10s seems high, it may also be a function of the speaker efficiency. 8 ohm speakers may need more power to get to the same volume. I have 4 ohm Deftech in-walls and a M&L subwoofer and it's loud enough for me in the -40s for regular TV viewing and it gets "good and loud" in the -20s for when I have the house to myself and am rocking out. smile.gif I can't imagine having it in the -10s for an extended period. I doubt running it that high will hurt the receiver, since 0dB is the "reference" level for the amp and it's built to go significantly beyond that. I'd be more worried about blowing the satellites.

JD NC is offline  
post #1089 of 3482 Old 02-06-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD NC View Post

-10s seems high, it may also be a function of the speaker efficiency. 8 ohm speakers may need more power to get to the same volume. I have 4 ohm Deftech in-walls and a M&L subwoofer and it's loud enough for me in the -40s for regular TV viewing and it gets "good and loud" in the -20s for when I have the house to myself and am rocking out. smile.gif I can't imagine having it in the -10s for an extended period. I doubt running it that high will hurt the receiver, since 0dB is the "reference" level for the amp and it's built to go significantly beyond that. I'd be more worried about blowing the satellites.
The Klipsch are very efficient that's why I mentioned that it doesnt take much to push them. I believe they are rated at 96dB.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is online now  
post #1090 of 3482 Old 02-06-2013, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETH2AL View Post

Hello,

I have a question. When I watch tv, blu rays, games etc I have to turn the volume to -20 to -15 to really get it loud enough to enjoy. Is that too high? I'm turning it up over half way to get it to an enjoyable sound level. Could it be because I have the calibration of the speakers set to small (YPAO). I'm using klipsch quintets with it. Does having the Volume up that high kill the life of the reciever or is it normal to have it that high? Sorry for such a stupid question, I just never had a nice reciever like this.
It's very nice. Did you set them to small or was that the conclusion of YPAO? I only have 6.5" woofers and set them to large. A 125 watt sub is great also. Try the large settings, bi-amp if you are only 5.1, and set the "music" button to 7ch Stereo. Like was posted, I find -30 plenty loud for TV and -20 good enough to rattle the pictures. With a Blu-ray I turn off DSP and let the sound track do the work which sometimes needs more volume. For everything else I let the DSP run wild. Have fun.
JoeKustra is offline  
post #1091 of 3482 Old 02-06-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

It's very nice. Did you set them to small or was that the conclusion of YPAO? I only have 6.5" woofers and set them to large. A 125 watt sub is great also. Try the large settings, bi-amp if you are only 5.1, and set the "music" button to 7ch Stereo. Like was posted, I find -30 plenty loud for TV and -20 good enough to rattle the pictures. With a Blu-ray I turn off DSP and let the sound track do the work which sometimes needs more volume. For everything else I let the DSP run wild. Have fun.
The quintets should stay at small. They are only 3.5". Bi amp is a waste of time and would certainly not give him more volume and they are not bi amp capable anyway.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is online now  
post #1092 of 3482 Old 02-07-2013, 05:57 AM
Senior Member
 
JD NC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

The Klipsch are very efficient that's why I mentioned that it doesnt take much to push them. I believe they are rated at 96dB.

Ah, missed that bit. Yeah, not sure what's going on. Have you tried hooking up different speakers to compare?

JD NC is offline  
post #1093 of 3482 Old 02-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Newbie
 
htbcpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are you still able to play Google music via BubbleUPNP on your Yamaha Rx-v673 receiver. I was the other day, but now, I keep getting an error: transition not available error 701 on my Android app. I can't seem to stream from my android to my receiver anymore. Any advice?
htbcpa is offline  
post #1094 of 3482 Old 02-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Member
 
Flatliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by htbcpa View Post

Are you still able to play Google music via BubbleUPNP on your Yamaha Rx-v673 receiver. I was the other day, but now, I keep getting an error: transition not available error 701 on my Android app. I can't seem to stream from my android to my receiver anymore. Any advice?

It still works for me. A few things to try, especially if you have upgraded anything since it last worked: First, on the Yamaha, re-select the BubbleUPNP server and make sure that wifi is active and working (try streaming Pandora, internet radio and so forth). I have noticed with the Yamaha Android app before that the connection to the receiver is lost from time to time. On your Android handset, if you made any updates or changes, you may have to reset permissions for BubbleUPNP...or just simply start over by going into Settings>Apps>BubbleUPnP and clear data and cache. You would then need to resync with Google Music. Other than that, I'm not sure why it would not work.
htbcpa likes this.
Flatliner is offline  
post #1095 of 3482 Old 02-08-2013, 05:51 AM
Senior Member
 
ThinkRationally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I recently hooked up my new RX-V673, and I'm having a problem. Currently, I have a DVD player hooked up (via component), with HDMI out to an LG LED TV. I can play DVDs fine, the sound and video function as expected. When I press "On Screen" the AVR menu comes up overlayed on the DVD image and I can go about changing settings and such. I have my settings for the DVD scene set fine.

However, when I change modes away from the DVD I get no on-screen menu. The TV reports no signal on the HDMI port. As an example, I put a USB stick in the front port, but it's a total pain to use without the on-screen menus. The manual seems to suggest that pressing "On Screen" will bring up the menu on the TV. It does not. I see "On Screen" displayed on the AVR, but my TV is in no-signal mode.

The same thing happens when I go to radio mode, or basically any other mode aside from the DVD input (on AV2). It's like the mode has to have a video element for the AVR menu to be shown. There is a setting for the background picture that I found--I'm assuming this picture is used as a background when there is no video feed from something like a DVD. I have yet to see any of the background pictures.

During this time, the red "HDMI OUT" on the AVR front panel is on. It may flash slowly for a period after pressing "On Screen", but nothing ever appears on the TV screen. I take this to be the handshaking between the AVR and the TV.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm missing here? Maybe there's a setting somewhere, although without an on-screen menu it's hard to tell. I don't understand why DVDs play fine, but the AVR can't display its own menu.

Thanks,
TR
ThinkRationally is offline  
post #1096 of 3482 Old 02-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Newbie
 
htbcpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by htbcpa View Post

Are you still able to play Google music via BubbleUPNP on your Yamaha Rx-v673 receiver. I was the other day, but now, I keep getting an error: transition not available error 701 on my Android app. I can't seem to stream from my android to my receiver anymore. Any advice?

Thanks. I will try again when I get home. I know the other day I could stream music from my phone (not Google Music) to the receiver. But now, I keep getting Error 501: Action Timeout, and transition not available code 701 on my Android, and on my TV screen it says, "Access Denied". The song shows up on my TV, but the time says 0:00, and it doesn't play, it just sits there. When I change the rendering device in BubbleUPnP to the phone, it works just fine. When I switch it back to the Yamaha Receiver, it just sits there.

I had uninstalled and reinstalled the BubbleUPnP thinking it needed to "reset", but perhaps I will try and clear the caches and data and start fresh. (Although I thought uninstalling/reinstalling would do this). Could you comment on resetting permissions for BubbleUPnP? I also thought I have seen comments on making sure your Yamaha receiver has DLNA turned "on". I don't think this is the case, because, as I said earlier, the song is showing up, it just isn't playing. Also, I see the BubbleUPnP showing up on the receiver, it just is a hard time playing.

I'll fiddle with it some more and let you know what I find out.

Thanks,
htbcpa is offline  
post #1097 of 3482 Old 02-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Newbie
 
htbcpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm new to posting, and I replied to my first comment. My bad....sorry...... Please see my reply to your post in the forum. Thanks.
htbcpa is offline  
post #1098 of 3482 Old 02-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Member
 
Johnny Bananas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The RX-V673 owners’ manual says to allow 30cm (11.8 inches) of space above the receiver and 20cm (7.9 inches) on each side for proper ventilation. I don't think that's practical, so how much space should there really be to properly vent the unit? Assume the receiver is inside a cabinet and not in a rack.
Johnny Bananas is offline  
post #1099 of 3482 Old 02-08-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bananas View Post

The RX-V673 owners’ manual says to allow 30cm (11.8 inches) of space above the receiver and 20cm (7.9 inches) on each side for proper ventilation. I don't think that's practical, so how much space should there really be to properly vent the unit? Assume the receiver is inside a cabinet and not in a rack.
Can air flow through the cabinet with the door open?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is online now  
post #1100 of 3482 Old 02-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Member
 
alexandru27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Iasi, Romania
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This may turn out as a problem for me - I will put it inside a sort of half closed rack, actually more of a cabinet. On the sides it will have some 10-12 cm free space, but on the back(which is not open) only 4-5 cm, and above...1 cm smile.gif
All I hope is that, because I will only listen to it at low-moderate levels, it won't get too hot.
If it does though, I will have to move it to another location - on a shelve specially created for it, on the front wall, right under the right front speaker.
Anyway, Yamaha says the wattage consumption is reduced up to 20% for the 2012 models.

Denon AVR-2113, Monitor Audio BX2/BXC/BXFX, Pioneer BDP-150K, LG 37LH5000, Sennheiser PC-350
alexandru27 is offline  
post #1101 of 3482 Old 02-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Senior Member
 
ThinkRationally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post

I recently hooked up my new RX-V673, and I'm having a problem. Currently, I have a DVD player hooked up (via component), with HDMI out to an LG LED TV. I can play DVDs fine, the sound and video function as expected. When I press "On Screen" the AVR menu comes up overlayed on the DVD image and I can go about changing settings and such. I have my settings for the DVD scene set fine.

However, when I change modes away from the DVD I get no on-screen menu. The TV reports no signal on the HDMI port. As an example, I put a USB stick in the front port, but it's a total pain to use without the on-screen menus. The manual seems to suggest that pressing "On Screen" will bring up the menu on the TV. It does not. I see "On Screen" displayed on the AVR, but my TV is in no-signal mode.

...

UPDATE: I found a human being to talk to at Yamaha tech support. As I suspected, the unit was faulty. There is always supposed to be video output. Otherwise, as with my experience, you can't even access the unit's own menu. Returned the 673. Right now the 773 is on for the same price I paid for the 673...but they have no stock. There was just one 673 left, so I ordered that one instead of risking having nothing at all. With any luck, the second unit will function properly.

Cheers,
TR
ThinkRationally is offline  
post #1102 of 3482 Old 02-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Member
 
Johnny Bananas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Can air flow through the cabinet with the door open?


Yes it can. For me specifically I was planning to have the unit on a cabinet shelf with the back some what open, but need to know about the top and sides. Seems like Yamaha is requiring a lot of space, just don't think it's realistic.
Johnny Bananas is offline  
post #1103 of 3482 Old 02-08-2013, 03:52 PM
Senior Member
 
ThinkRationally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD NC View Post

Yes. As long as the sources are different for Zones 1 and 2, any source goes to any zone. To play the same source in both zones you need "party mode" which is in the V773 and up.

Set zone 2 to airplay before you connect the player, though. If you connect to airplay through the player first, the AVR will power up and switch zone 1 to airplay by default. Easy to change back, but it will annoy the people watching the movie when it cuts out and starts playing your music. smile.gif

I've read in several places that the 673 can't output the same digital input to both zone 1 and 2 at the same time. I was wondering, though... I would probably only want to do this for music, maybe to fill the whole house, or have inside and outside speakers playing the same thing.

Could you just put the unit in 7 channel stereo mode and get 3 sets of stereo speakers playing the same thing from a single source? Just operate in a single zone?

You couldn't have any music surround processing in zone 1 because you don't have the 5.1, but I'm not sure that would matter much to me.

Am I missing something here? Will this not work, and if it does would I be missing out on something?

Thanks,
TR
ThinkRationally is offline  
post #1104 of 3482 Old 02-08-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bananas View Post

Yes it can. For me specifically I was planning to have the unit on a cabinet shelf with the back some what open, but need to know about the top and sides. Seems like Yamaha is requiring a lot of space, just don't think it's realistic.
As long as you leave the door open and have 4" or better at the top I think you will be ok.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is online now  
post #1105 of 3482 Old 02-09-2013, 08:02 AM
Member
 
Flatliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post

I've read in several places that the 673 can't output the same digital input to both zone 1 and 2 at the same time. I was wondering, though... I would probably only want to do this for music, maybe to fill the whole house, or have inside and outside speakers playing the same thing.

Could you just put the unit in 7 channel stereo mode and get 3 sets of stereo speakers playing the same thing from a single source? Just operate in a single zone?

You couldn't have any music surround processing in zone 1 because you don't have the 5.1, but I'm not sure that would matter much to me.

Am I missing something here? Will this not work, and if it does would I be missing out on something?

Thanks,
TR


You can output the same Pandora (form the Yamaha) to both zone 1 and 2 at the same time, as well as any streaming source (airplay for instance). I don't think you can output the same digital HDMI source (CD, BlueRay) to both at the same time though.

Your idea should work but I don't think you will get independent stereo in all rooms (unless I'm overlooking something). You could put it in maybe 7 channel mono mode?
Flatliner is offline  
post #1106 of 3482 Old 02-09-2013, 08:10 AM
Member
 
Flatliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by htbcpa View Post

Thanks. I will try again when I get home. I know the other day I could stream music from my phone (not Google Music) to the receiver. But now, I keep getting Error 501: Action Timeout, and transition not available code 701 on my Android, and on my TV screen it says, "Access Denied". The song shows up on my TV, but the time says 0:00, and it doesn't play, it just sits there. When I change the rendering device in BubbleUPnP to the phone, it works just fine. When I switch it back to the Yamaha Receiver, it just sits there.

I had uninstalled and reinstalled the BubbleUPnP thinking it needed to "reset", but perhaps I will try and clear the caches and data and start fresh. (Although I thought uninstalling/reinstalling would do this). Could you comment on resetting permissions for BubbleUPnP? I also thought I have seen comments on making sure your Yamaha receiver has DLNA turned "on". I don't think this is the case, because, as I said earlier, the song is showing up, it just isn't playing. Also, I see the BubbleUPnP showing up on the receiver, it just is a hard time playing.

I'll fiddle with it some more and let you know what I find out.

Thanks,

I believe it's only on initial installation or after resetting the app (deleting data and cache) that one gets the request pop up to allow the BubbleUPnP app access to whatever it needs. It does not appear to require root and does not need special permission in SuperSU from what I can tell.

The resyncing I was referring to is between BubbleUPnP and Google music. I suspect when you clear data and cache, you will have to redo that and it may fix your issues.
Flatliner is offline  
post #1107 of 3482 Old 02-09-2013, 08:13 AM
Senior Member
 
JD NC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post

I've read in several places that the 673 can't output the same digital input to both zone 1 and 2 at the same time. I was wondering, though... I would probably only want to do this for music, maybe to fill the whole house, or have inside and outside speakers playing the same thing.

Could you just put the unit in 7 channel stereo mode and get 3 sets of stereo speakers playing the same thing from a single source? Just operate in a single zone?

You couldn't have any music surround processing in zone 1 because you don't have the 5.1, but I'm not sure that would matter much to me.

Am I missing something here? Will this not work, and if it does would I be missing out on something?

Thanks,
TR

I believe 7 channel stereo still sends most of the info to the L/R fronts and also moves a lot of the vocals to the center channel, with the surrounds and rears receiving less of the vocals. If so, having the rears by themselves in a separate room wouldn't work. Like you, I've been trying to figure out a workaround for the lack of party mode in the 673, and have been putting off getting zone 2 speakers for this reason.

I haven't tried this yet, but one solution that might work is to hook up both the HDMI and tosink of my appletv to the receiver, assign he HDMI and toslink ports to different inputs and send each input to a different zone. As far as the receiver is concerned, it's outputting a different component to each zone. This should work for any other component that can output audio to two ports simultaneously, and the receiver has no shortage of assignable audio inputs. The biggest problem with this workaround would be if one audio stream lags the other - if there are places where you can hear both zones at once, you'd get an echo. I think the audio delay can be tweaked, though, so that may be a fixable problem.

JD NC is offline  
post #1108 of 3482 Old 02-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Member
 
Flatliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD NC View Post

I believe 7 channel stereo still sends most of the info to the L/R fronts and also moves a lot of the vocals to the center channel, with the surrounds and rears receiving less of the vocals. If so, having the rears by themselves in a separate room wouldn't work. Like you, I've been trying to figure out a workaround for the lack of party mode in the 673, and have been putting off getting zone 2 speakers for this reason.

There is an option to turn 7 Channel Stereo into a Monaural Mix which might work alright when breaking up the 7.1 into various rooms.
Flatliner is offline  
post #1109 of 3482 Old 02-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Senior Member
 
ThinkRationally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD NC View Post

I haven't tried this yet, but one solution that might work is to hook up both the HDMI and tosink of my appletv to the receiver, assign he HDMI and toslink ports to different inputs and send each input to a different zone. As far as the receiver is concerned, it's outputting a different component to each zone. This should work for any other component that can output audio to two ports simultaneously, and the receiver has no shortage of assignable audio inputs. The biggest problem with this workaround would be if one audio stream lags the other - if there are places where you can hear both zones at once, you'd get an echo. I think the audio delay can be tweaked, though, so that may be a fixable problem.

Thanks for the feedback, folks. JD NC, I was thinking that one could also use an HDMI splitter ($25-$35 at monoprice.com) to send the same input to 2 HDMI ports. Hard to say if there'd be any difference in processing time, but I would think it must be very close to the same. As you suggested, if the audio delay can be applied separately to each zone, it's likely a fixable problem (if it exists).
ThinkRationally is offline  
post #1110 of 3482 Old 02-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Newbie
 
Mike Jolly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey All,

This is my first post. I am looking to get the rxv673 but I am trying to figure out how to best connect it to my network. I am looking to potentially upgrade by wireless signal in my house by turning off the wireless feature on my At&t uverse modem (2wire) and use an airport extreme base station for my wireless router to improve signal in my home. I am then trying to figure if I could use an airport express placed near by entertainment system and I could just hook an ethernet cable from the 673 to the express directly instead of getting the yamaha yam-10 wireless adapter. Would this work? Or would be better off using something else. With so many wireless devices in the house (tablets, computers, phones, printers) and then other devices to hook up like receivers, tvs, BD players, gaming, etc...I ams trying figure the best way to hook it all up and not clutter the wireless signal in the home. Any advice? I am not very knowledgable in all this. Thanks!
Mike Jolly is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off