The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #91 of 3558 Old 07-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd View Post

OK, I'm wondering about this too; glad I'm not the only one. I've been reading the manual. Right now all I have hooked up is a center (Polk), two fronts (Boston Acoustic towers), and a Polk subwoofer. It does not want to use the subwoofer. I don't get it. When I look at the manual it shows in the diagrams that the subwoofer is on even when listening to Net radio. The only way I can get it to turn on is by playing the BD/DVD. But even when I stream Pandora through the DVD player it does not use the subwoofer. I tried going to speaker setup and tried the tone testing. I have the subwoofer on, plugged into a single 1-SW out. But even on the front panel display on the RXV673 it shows that it is not using the subwoofer.
Why? What am I doing wrong? I tried playing with the 'Scene' buttons and some of them turn off the center speaker, none turn on the subwoofer. I'm stumped.
Anyone have any ideas?

**NO SOUND FROM SUBWOOFER ANSWERED**

It seems that answering my own questions is becoming a habit. Sorry to be such an idiot. I'm very new at this HT stuff. My understanding of this now is that the subwoofer, when hooked up through the LFE input, works only when stuff is encoded with LFE, such as in movies or HD radio. What you want to do, Kainan, is turn on the Extra-Bass option and turn up the crossover on the back of the subwoofer. I did this and now it works great. To do this, press the ON SCREEN button on the V673's remote and select setup, then select CONFIGURATION. I assumed you already turned the subwoofer on in this menu. Below the subwoofer is an EXTRA BASS option. Turn this on. Now my subwoofer works fine and the music is much fuller. I hope this helps others.
RX-V673 likes this.

Dyslexics are teople poo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3558 Old 07-16-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 176
With extra bass you have the sub and the mains both playing the low frequencies. Normally you would just set your main speakers as "small" (with a suitable crossover frequency) and then the sub will be used without enabling extra bass.

There are a few reasons for only using the sub to play the low bass. One being that you can move the sub around to find the optimum location in the room (in some rooms this can make a huge improvement in the bass), whereas you can't really move the main speakers to optimize the bass. Also you end up with double bass at a specific frequency range (where the sub and mains overlap).
post #93 of 3558 Old 07-16-2012, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftl97 View Post

I was just about to try this then i checked EE and they show the v671 as being in stock.

I ordered Sunday and this worked for me too but I paid $395 with shipping. They emailed me the day after I ordered:

"Dear Valued Customer:

Thank you for your order. Unfortunately, due to an overwhelming response on this item, we will not be carrying the YAMRXV671BL any longer. I would like to apologize for the delay in shipping your product. I would like to offer you a complimentary upgrade to the new model the YAMRXV673BL. This new model has improved features and performance and actually sells for a higher price. The new model will be brand new never before been open. Due to the inconvenience I can upgrade your order and expedite this through our warehouse; there will be no additional charge."
biggrin.gif
post #94 of 3558 Old 07-17-2012, 06:05 PM

Liked: 11
I just ordered, hopefully it works for me too.

Edit: My order says "Shipped" but I never received any sort of email or anything. No tracking info though so hopefully just a mistake and hoping I'll get an email soon.
post #95 of 3558 Old 07-17-2012, 09:47 PM

It did the same for me. Amazon likes to list stuff a shipped the moment the seller receives the order. The email I got says they will no longer be stocking the 671. Not sure why they don't just remove the listing from Amazon.
post #96 of 3558 Old 07-17-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joben87 View Post

It did the same for me. Amazon likes to list stuff a shipped the moment the seller receives the order. The email I got says they will no longer be stocking the 671. Not sure why they don't just remove the listing from Amazon.

Fingers Crossed smile.gif
post #97 of 3558 Old 07-18-2012, 05:55 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd View Post

**NO SOUND FROM SUBWOOFER ANSWERED**
It seems that answering my own questions is becoming a habit. Sorry to be such an idiot. I'm very new at this HT stuff. My understanding of this now is that the subwoofer, when hooked up through the LFE input, works only when stuff is encoded with LFE, such as in movies or HD radio. What you want to do, Kainan, is turn on the Extra-Bass option and turn up the crossover on the back of the subwoofer. I did this and now it works great. To do this, press the ON SCREEN button on the V673's remote and select setup, then select CONFIGURATION. I assumed you already turned the subwoofer on in this menu. Below the subwoofer is an EXTRA BASS option. Turn this on. Now my subwoofer works fine and the music is much fuller. I hope this helps others.

Thanks. I did find this setting but this was not all. YPAO had the sub set to -4. When I turned this up to 0 I got the bass I was looking for. I'm going to run YPAO again tonight and immediately check the settings afterwards for the sub.
post #98 of 3558 Old 07-18-2012, 07:51 AM

Newbie question. I just bought and installed the RX-v673. Works great. However, when I connect my Samsung Blu-ray (BP-D1500) no picture or sound appears. If I connect the dvd directly to the TV (also a Samsung) it works fine. I had the same issue with this DVD on the old Onkyo receiver that I had (so I assume it is the DVD player issue). Is thre something that I am doing wrong or something I need to change on the D1500 to output to the receiver? Or is the D1500 just to dang old? Any assistance is appreciated.

FYI connections are being made using HDMI cable.
post #99 of 3558 Old 07-18-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azboricua86 View Post

Fingers Crossed smile.gif

I got upgraded as of this morning. I had to pay tax though because EXPO has operations here in Arizona. Still better priced than anywhere else right now. Even the occasional Newegg GC deal with $150 tied up for Newegg use only.

$419.28 out the door. I'm happy, Thanks guys for the info!
post #100 of 3558 Old 07-18-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmst172 View Post

Newbie question. I just bought and installed the RX-v673. Works great. However, when I connect my Samsung Blu-ray (BP-D1500) no picture or sound appears. If I connect the dvd directly to the TV (also a Samsung) it works fine. I had the same issue with this DVD on the old Onkyo receiver that I had (so I assume it is the DVD player issue). Is thre something that I am doing wrong or something I need to change on the D1500 to output to the receiver? Or is the D1500 just to dang old? Any assistance is appreciated.
FYI connections are being made using HDMI cable.

You may have the video output of the DVD player set to 480i...go into the menu and change it to 480p output. This should help.
post #101 of 3558 Old 07-18-2012, 12:24 PM

I'm thinking of ditching my current Onkyo receiver for this one. The Onkyo will not allow me to connect my HTPC to my projector via HDMI. Though I can run a cable directly to the projector (which works fine), that's a less than ideal solution for aesthetic reasons. I've reviewed the 673's user manual, and it, unlike the Onkyo, does not state that the receiver will not work with PC signals. Anyone connecting their PC to one of these or have any helpful hints?
post #102 of 3558 Old 07-18-2012, 05:13 PM

Close. It was set to 1080i, changed it to 1080p and it worked. Thanks for the tip. smile.gif
post #103 of 3558 Old 07-19-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landoiv View Post

I'm thinking of ditching my current Onkyo receiver for this one. The Onkyo will not allow me to connect my HTPC to my projector via HDMI. Though I can run a cable directly to the projector (which works fine), that's a less than ideal solution for aesthetic reasons. I've reviewed the 673's user manual, and it, unlike the Onkyo, does not state that the receiver will not work with PC signals. Anyone connecting their PC to one of these or have any helpful hints?

Do you mean like just connecting an HTPC or laptop to this Receiver via HDMI? I can try this tonight and check for you. What kind of problems is the Onkyo giving you? It should just work as it normally does with any other source via HDMI. Or am I wrong here?
post #104 of 3558 Old 07-19-2012, 11:16 AM

Just heard from rep/vendor that Pandora might be available in a subsequent Yamaha firmware update. Seems they are getting lots of flac from dealers. Maybe the Pandora contracts weren't finalized before x73 release. Integrated Pandora is better than outboard app or airplay for many reasons: iPhone must be available or one more device needs to be navigated. If Pandora arrives, hope Pandora stations can be saved to vtuner favorites using the website.

For what its worth, I'm a Denon dealer slowly moving to Yamaha because the control app makes more sense, and is available for droid; as well as other reasons. But it will be a deal breaker if Pandora is truly gone.
post #105 of 3558 Old 07-19-2012, 11:42 AM

If you want to avoid taking a chance with Expo then do what I did.

I get on the expo site and chatted with a rep and inquired if they had 671 in stock. They said they only have few open box ones, but I should call them for a good price on the new model, the 673. I called and they shipped it to me for $430. I got it in two days.

No risk, straight forward and at an awesome price.
post #106 of 3558 Old 07-19-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azboricua86 View Post

Do you mean like just connecting an HTPC or laptop to this Receiver via HDMI? I can try this tonight and check for you. What kind of problems is the Onkyo giving you? It should just work as it normally does with any other source via HDMI. Or am I wrong here?

Yep. I've connected the PC to the receiver using HDMI. Although I get an image of the desktop for a few moments, I always lose it after that, ultimately leading to a repeated "No Signal" from the projector, which unsuccessfully keeps trying to display the desktop and/or game. If I connect the PC directly to the projector using the same HDMI cable, it works fine. Also, the HDMI port works fine on the receiver for other sources, X360 or Blueray. The Onkyo receiver manual (I have a 60x (maybe 6?)) states that the receiver does not support PC signals through HDMI.

I'm hoping that this Yamaha does not have this problem. Thanks for your response!
post #107 of 3558 Old 07-19-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Just got this hooked up this weekend. I'm really happy with it so far.

However, I had an issue hooking up my laptop via HDMI. I used the HDMI v-aux port on the front to my laptop. I had laptop display set to external monitor only. The TV (LG LM7600) recognized the input immediately, and everything seemed ok, but after about 5 minutes, I started having refresh issues -- the screen would go blank for a couple seconds, then come back. After about 5 minutes of that happening, the screen went black and the TV gave me a "no input detected" error, and the display reset back to my laptop only, as if there was nothing outputting from the receiver.

I tried direct HDMI laptop > TV and it worked fine for 15 minutes with no issues (same HDMI cable). It seems to me that the issue is with the receiver, but I'm not sure where I would change settings for this problem. I had the laptop display output set to native 1080P, 60Hz refresh. I really want to be able to use the audio capabilities of the receiver with my laptop. Anyone else have an issue with this? I've seen similar issues in this thread, but no one with the exact problem, or a resolution.

Uh oh. Just saw this over in the 671 thread. This is almost exactly what happens to me with the Onkyo. Hmmm.
post #108 of 3558 Old 07-19-2012, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi everyone. First time setting up a home theater. I just picked up a Rx-V673 today after alot of research and reading on this forum. My first of probably many questions is regarding how to connect a single sub as i will be using this receiver in a 5.1 setup for the time being. My sub has RCA Line Level / LFE and Speaker Level inputs. The manual states "IF using line level jacks, Both the left and right input should always be used-never use just the left or right input. If the subwoofers input comes from the LFE channel of your receiver, use a Y splitter to supply the singal input to both connectors on the sub." My question is, should i simply run a rca cable from "sub1" on the receiver and connect it to my left and right input on the sub with a y splitter? I'm questioning this because I have been told it would be best to run 2 seperate rca cables. One cable from "sub1" to left sub input and one cable from "sub2" to the right sub input. Any thoughts or advice wouold be appreciated!
post #109 of 3558 Old 07-19-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnv6023 View Post

Hi everyone. First time setting up a home theater. I just picked up a Rx-V673 today after alot of research and reading on this forum. My first of probably many questions is regarding how to connect a single sub as i will be using this receiver in a 5.1 setup for the time being. My sub has RCA Line Level / LFE and Speaker Level inputs. The manual states "IF using line level jacks, Both the left and right input should always be used-never use just the left or right input. If the subwoofers input comes from the LFE channel of your receiver, use a Y splitter to supply the singal input to both connectors on the sub." My question is, should i simply run a rca cable from "sub1" on the receiver and connect it to my left and right input on the sub with a y splitter? I'm questioning this because I have been told it would be best to run 2 seperate rca cables. One cable from "sub1" to left sub input and one cable from "sub2" to the right sub input. Any thoughts or advice wouold be appreciated!

If this is the case let me know. I had issues with the sub setup on my 673 and posted in the subwoofer forum. In the end it was that the YPAO had the sub volume level set way down to a -4. Once I adjusted this up, all was good.

I mention all of this to say that with all of the feedback I got I didn't see one comment saying to change the connections on the sub like you are suggesting. I have sub out to LFE in only and it works fine.
post #110 of 3558 Old 07-20-2012, 02:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainan View Post

If this is the case let me know. I had issues with the sub setup on my 673 and posted in the subwoofer forum. In the end it was that the YPAO had the sub volume level set way down to a -4. Once I adjusted this up, all was good.
I mention all of this to say that with all of the feedback I got I didn't see one comment saying to change the connections on the sub like you are suggesting. I have sub out to LFE in only and it works fine.

Yes, mine is set up like this too. I have a single RCA lead going from sub1 to LFE in (which is also the R input on my Polk subwoofer). Works fine now. I tried it with sub1 and sub2 going to L and R but noticed no difference in bass, so I unpluged the left one (going to sub2) since the manual says to just use one. I don't want to blow anything up. But I'm also a first time HT user so take my input FWIW.

post #111 of 3558 Old 07-20-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnv6023 View Post

I too am new at the whole setup thing. However, I have found a really useful video from Martin Logan (not advertising for them), that helps in the subwoofer setup. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzCIMufCQLk

Hope this helps at least one person.
post #112 of 3558 Old 07-20-2012, 09:33 AM

Thanks for getting back to me. I have an email in to Yamaha support regarding the sub connection. I will let you Know what they say. I will be unboxing and beginning the Install tonight, I only purchased one rca cable myself, so I will be connecting the sub in the same way you guys have for the time being. Was just recently told about the alternate connection method, and I thought I'd check here. If anyone has any tips or advice following their install, please feel free to share them! As I said, this will be my first real home theater setup and I'm hoping everything goes smoothly.
post #113 of 3558 Old 07-20-2012, 10:12 AM

I now know that I was given inaccurate advice. Yamaha support got back to me..really quickly I might add..I'm quite impressed. They said that sub1 and sub2 are mirrored signals and that either one can be used, but it is unneccesary to use both. Sorry for any confusion. Thanks for the youtube link ice dog, it was very informative
post #114 of 3558 Old 07-20-2012, 01:15 PM

To Ryan 0000

I signed on here for one reason, to say thanks to you my man, you just saved me a bunch of cash and time shopping for a deal.

I called Expo directly and asked them if they had the 671 in stock, the guy I talked to right then offered me the 673 for $399.

Can't wait to replace this old Onkyo POS with dead HDMI outputs.

Thanks again!
post #115 of 3558 Old 07-20-2012, 05:42 PM

Long time creeper, this is my first post.

Wanted to let everyone know that I ordered the V671 from Electronics Expo on Amazon today for $363.88. Amazon immediately listed it as "shipped". I will check back in with whatever shall unfold.

My hope is that my luck will pan out and I will get the V673 upgrade. But I will let you guys know either way -- this forum has helped me many times before. Hope I can help someone now, however simple it may be.
sheshechic likes this.
post #116 of 3558 Old 07-20-2012, 07:59 PM

I just moved back to Australia after 19 years in Colorado. I am setting up a home theater room 5.1, lounge 5.1 and patio second zone. I will have 2 receivers but for now just looking at either the RX-V773 or RX-V673 to start off with. I have 2 x Cat 6 cables between the lounge and Home Theater just in case of future link ups. With no much choice on pay TV here I am stuck with Foxtel and a second HD box is $25/month. The RX-V673 looks like a good match for my HT room once I get everything set up but for now will use it in the lounge.

If I get get the RX-V773 that has 2 simultaneous HDMI outputs, does the HDMI signal output from the receiver includes the Audio that can be inputed into the home theater receiver along with the video and supply 5.1/Video in the HT Room. Or, does the HDMI output from receivers only include Video.

Hope the question is clear enough. Just trying to avoid the second Foxtel box. Will wait for the updated Aventage model for my second receiver as the lounge is a very large 2 storey area .
post #117 of 3558 Old 07-21-2012, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Can anyone confirm that the V673 upscales hdmi 720p and 1080i to 1080p via hdmi? And if so, how well does it perform?

post #118 of 3558 Old 07-21-2012, 04:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel T View Post

If I get get the RX-V773 that has 2 simultaneous HDMI outputs, does the HDMI signal output from the receiver includes the Audio that can be inputed into the home theater receiver along with the video and supply 5.1/Video in the HT Room. Or, does the HDMI output from receivers only include Video.
Hope the question is clear enough. Just trying to avoid the second Foxtel box. Will wait for the updated Aventage model for my second receiver as the lounge is a very large 2 storey area .

If I understand the question, then yes, the HDMI cable should cary both audio and video. Early on in HDMI it was only video but this receiver and all the new TVs and STBs include audio on the HDMI line. I hope this helps. Sorry if I misunderstood.

post #119 of 3558 Old 07-21-2012, 08:29 AM

Setup going well so far. Quick question regarding connecting a 2nd zone. Im running a 5.1 setup in the main zone and I would like to connect 2speakers outside as zone 2. My question is regarding which connections on the back of the receiver would be best to use. Because I am only running a 5.1 setup in my main, the rear surround back channels-what you would use to complete a 7. Channel setup- are still available. Or of course the zone 2/presence spring clips are there too. Is there a difference between my two options, or is one way better than the other? Thanks!
post #120 of 3558 Old 07-21-2012, 03:11 PM

Same here folks. I just called Electronic Expo and fot mine for $450 including shipping. Asked for 671 and the guy offered the 673. He also gave me discounts on Monster HDMIs and speaker wire. Thank you all!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V673 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page