Great forum here - I've read the first 20 pages in this thread over the last few days, but I'm now getting anxious for some direct answers that I haven't found yet, ha ha. I'm a new owner of a 673, but I haven't even taken it out of the box yet, as I had to leave town the day I got it. While away, I've read the entire user manual (a snoozer, lol), but still have some questions. I'm replacing the receiver on a 5.1 HTIB that's about 10 years old. For now, I plan to keep the speakers and DVD player that came with my old system. My TV is about 2 years old and supports HDMI ARC. Some questions:
1. The user manual says a POWERED subwoofer is required. True? Mine old one is not powered. Any suggestions if I need to buy a new one?
2. Zone 2 audio. The manual refers to the 773 as being capable of "party mode", which plays the same audio in zones 1 and 2. I have the 673 and I can't determine from reading the manual if it is capable of the same? I intend to install some outdoor speakers on my deck - it would be really nice to WATCH the game in the den, then HEAR the game when I have to go out to flip burgers on the grill. It appears the 673 is capable of DIFFERENT audio in zone 2, but what about the SAME as zone1?
3. Any comments about WiFi vs. direct Cat 5 cable hookup for networking? I can re-locate my router and modem into the den if required, but if wifi works well I'll just leave it where it is.
4. If the 673 is hooked up to my home network (via cable or wifi), can I play videos located on my computer (which may be sitting in another room, for example) with the 673 itself? Or will I need some other device for this, such as Boxee Box, Google TV, etc?
5. Should I even bother to mess with the remote control too much, or will the Yamaha app on my iphone be better for setup and operation of the 673?
Thanks for any helpful info ladies/gents. I'm really looking forward to getting my system set up next week when I get home!