The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 3489 Old 03-12-2013, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
In the manual speaker set up there is the option to select small or large. what constitutes a small or large speaker? I could not find anything In owners manual in regards to Speaker size being considered small or large. I have B&W CWM663 in wall setup. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 3489 Old 03-12-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamcornwell View Post

Hi all. I am struggling to set up my new yamaha 673. I have read about changing the yapo sounds in the flat and manual but I think that will get me even more confused. I am running two wharfedale 10.7 as fronts a 10.0cs Two 10.3 as surrounds and Two 10.1 as sbl and sbr and a t1 rel unit as a sub. Just wondered if anybody had advice as to what I should switch on or change to get the best from the reciever??? Many thanks
There are no magic settings that are perfect for everyone. Read the manual and play around with the settings until you are happy. If you have more specific questions, let us know.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #1353 of 3489 Old 03-12-2013, 06:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k02c5 View Post

In the manual speaker set up there is the option to select small or large. what constitutes a small or large speaker? I could not find anything In owners manual in regards to Speaker size being considered small or large. I have B&W CWM663 in wall setup. Thanks
It has nothing to do with the actual size of the speakers. It is more to do with how low a frequency they can reproduce. If you have a subwoofer you probably want to set them all to small.

post #1354 of 3489 Old 03-12-2013, 06:51 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k02c5 View Post

The "Small/Large" setting in your AVR setup is really shorthand for "Do you have a subwoofer?" If you have a sub, you should set your other speakers to "Small" regardless how big they actually are. If you set them to large, then the AVR sends all the low frequencies to the mains in addition to the subwoofer, forcing them to work harder. The bottom line is that if you have a good sub, then let it handle the low stuff with its own amp, which will make it easier for your AVR to drive the other 5 or 7 speakers in your surround setup. It takes a lot less power to drive just the highs and midrange without the lows.

I just bought four used Polk towers and a HUGE Polk center, and after running YPAO I had to manually go in and reset all the speakers to "Small" so the low frequencies can get handled by the subwoofer. Then you just need to adjust the Bass Crossover frequency to whatever suits your mains best.
post #1355 of 3489 Old 03-13-2013, 01:21 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks bond. When watching a film like expendables on blu ray, would you click through the scene settings ie(adventure, scifi etc) until it suited your hearing??? I don't quite get what the surround decode does or the straight function!!! Sorry to be a pain!!
Cheers
post #1356 of 3489 Old 03-13-2013, 04:18 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsDif View Post

Would anyone happen to know what the largest amount of storage the front USB port can access on the RX-V673? My original idea was to plug an external drive to that USB port, however I discovered there are limitaions to the amount of stoarge it will accept. Am I limited to 32 GBs, 64 GB 128 GBs?

I thought I’d let you know of my own findings. I was able to access 1 TB of external drive space using the front USB port. I have a 2 TB WD Elements external drive that I split up into two 1 TB partitions. For this to work, the first partition needs to be FAT32. I left the other partition as NTFS. Windows will not format a partition over 32 GB, however there are free third party utilities that will format over that 32 GB limit. Once I set this up I copied over my large FLAC music collection onto the FAT32 partition, plugged the external drive into the front USB port and now I can play all my FLAC files without having a PC running DLNA. I can select the files to play using my TV or the front LCD display on the receiver to navigate the folders and files. The only drawback is the drive has a short initial spin up time that a USB thumb drive doesn’t.

post #1357 of 3489 Old 03-15-2013, 01:58 PM

Hi Guys. This is my first post on the forum. I recently upgraded from a HTIB to a new setup using the V573 as my AVR. Since it shares a lot of features with the V673, this thread was instrumental in helping me get it setup to my liking. It's a 70% music, 30% video system and it makes my ears extremely happy.

One of the main reasons I went with the Yamaha is to be able to stream my FLAC files. Does anyone have any recommendations on media server software for Windows that works well with their receiver? I'm in the process of building a HTPC but in the meantime, I'm using XBMC on my Win 7 desktop. It mostly works fine but if I'm browsing my library by artist, it locks up the receiver EVERY time I go to play a song. It also can't be run in the background, which is a deal breaker for me. I've tried iSedora as well but it's way too basic. I only need it to stream FLAC, preferably as a background process (or better yet a service in Windows). The ability to create playlists and play songs randomly would be icing. Thanks in advance!
post #1358 of 3489 Old 03-15-2013, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Try Mezzmo. Works well for me. Lots of people love it for music streaming. Personally I've been pretty happy with Windows Media Player though. It will play directly to the Yamaha and you can change play lists mid stream which I do all the time.

Dyslexics are teople poo.
post #1359 of 3489 Old 03-19-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

So my Dad settled on a 473, and I've got a question. On my RX-V661, after I run through YPAO, I have the option of seeing what the exact PEQ settings are for each speaker. After running through the YPAO on the 473, I haven't found any way to see what the PEQ settings are for each channel. Is this possible on the x73 line of receivers?

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #1360 of 3489 Old 03-19-2013, 08:47 AM

Does the 673 support MHL through the USB. Wanted to hook up my android phone and play slacker satelite radio will this work ?
Thanks
post #1361 of 3489 Old 03-19-2013, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post

So my Dad settled on a 473, and I've got a question. On my RX-V661, after I run through YPAO, I have the option of seeing what the exact PEQ settings are for each speaker. After running through the YPAO on the 473, I haven't found any way to see what the PEQ settings are for each channel. Is this possible on the x73 line of receivers?

I have a 773 (and briefly a 673 until I discovered it was faulty). On both, YPAO set up 3 PEQ settings to choose from, and you can look at the curve for each speaker individually. I think you can tweak them as well, although I copy the one I like best to Manual and tweak it there. Maybe the 473 lacks this capability.
post #1362 of 3489 Old 03-19-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post

I have a 773 (and briefly a 673 until I discovered it was faulty). On both, YPAO set up 3 PEQ settings to choose from, and you can look at the curve for each speaker individually. I think you can tweak them as well, although I copy the one I like best to Manual and tweak it there. Maybe the 473 lacks this capability.

Ok, thanks. I'll have to spend some time in the manual to figure out if it's possible.

Edit: sure enough, after looking through the manual, the 673 does allow you copy the PEQ to a manual bank where you can view and edit the results. With the 573 and below, you have to use the GEQ if you want to make manual adjustments.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #1363 of 3489 Old 03-19-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think that would be strange if you couldnt. I have the 671 though. You probably know the process to access the eq but here it is anyway
Menu > Setup > Manual Setup > Parametric EQ
If that doesnt show it then I guess not.

post #1364 of 3489 Old 03-19-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I think that would be strange if you couldnt. I have the 671 though. You probably know the process to access the eq but here it is anyway
Menu > Setup > Manual Setup > Parametric EQ
If that doesnt show it then I guess not.

After reviewing both the 473 and 673 manuals, it's something the 673 can do that the 473 cannot. On the 473, you can select PEQ (with no visibility as to what the settings actually are), GEQ, or Off. On the 673, you have the ability to copy the PEQ to manual bank, where you can view and edit the measured results.

post #1365 of 3489 Old 03-19-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

After reviewing both the 473 and 673 manuals, it's something the 673 can do that the 473 cannot. On the 473, you can select PEQ (with no visibility as to what the settings actually are), GEQ, or Off. On the 673, you have the ability to copy the PEQ to manual bank, where you can view and edit the measured results.
I had a 467 for a while but I forget. Can you make changes to all speakers individually in GEQ? If youre not at your Dads its no big deal. Im just curious.

post #1366 of 3489 Old 03-19-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I had a 467 for a while but I forget. Can you make changes to all speakers individually in GEQ? If youre not at your Dads its no big deal. Im just curious.

Yeah, you can adjust each speaker individually with the GEQ.

One thing I noticed, when I got close to the front display, I noticed faint horizontal red lines. I didn't know if that was just the way the display was designed. You can't see them when you are back a few feet. I hadn't seen any of the new white display Yamaha's up close before.

post #1367 of 3489 Old 03-19-2013, 04:05 PM

Hi

New here. I have a RX-V673 which I'm extremely happy about. Except one thing is really nagging me.

When playing a .flac or .mp3 file via the Network funktion from my DLNA server, then the pause button on the AV Controller (Iphone) simply does nothing.
Have anyone else noticed this?

Also one thing that is not an error, but simply something I'm considering. Since I'm only using the amp as 3.1 and seeing that the main channels should be able
to handle 4 Ohm speakers. What do you Guys think will happen, if I put 2 x 8 Ohm speakers on each of the zone 2 speaker plugs? It should only bring it to 4 ohms
and since the amp is not that stressed otherwise, I'm thinking it will hold up.

(Know the manual says don't connect two speakers to each zone 2 plug, since it might be to much for the amp, but just wondering).

Founda solution for the speakers. So no problem there anymore.

But really......no one playing flac via dlna has a problem with pausing a track? If not, then what dlna server are you using? I've tried foobar200 dlna and Twonky.
post #1368 of 3489 Old 03-20-2013, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faketology View Post

Hi

New here. I have a RX-V673 which I'm extremely happy about. Except one thing is really nagging me.

When playing a .flac or .mp3 file via the Network funktion from my DLNA server, then the pause button on the AV Controller (Iphone) simply does nothing.
Have anyone else noticed this?

Also one thing that is not an error, but simply something I'm considering. Since I'm only using the amp as 3.1 and seeing that the main channels should be able
to handle 4 Ohm speakers. What do you Guys think will happen, if I put 2 x 8 Ohm speakers on each of the zone 2 speaker plugs? It should only bring it to 4 ohms
and since the amp is not that stressed otherwise, I'm thinking it will hold up.

(Know the manual says don't connect two speakers to each zone 2 plug, since it might be to much for the amp, but just wondering).

When you change the AVR to 6 ohm mode (8 ohm is the default), the manual says you can use 4 ohm speakers as fronts. The zone 2 speakers run off the surround back channels, but the same surround back channels are also used when biamping the fronts, though, so maybe 4 ohms is OK. The manual is not clear on this at all. I'd assume 6 ohms to be safe.

It should still be fine as long as you don't run it too hard, but it sounds like zone 2 is a fairly big space if you're thinking about running 4 speakers instead of 2. How big are the speakers that you'd be connecting?

post #1369 of 3489 Old 03-21-2013, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post

Does the 673 support MHL through the USB. Wanted to hook up my android phone and play slacker satelite radio will this work ?
Thanks

Wish I could give you an answer (maybe someone else knows), but I can tell you that the boys sound SWEET through this AVR!
(roll away.... the dew)

Dyslexics are teople poo.
post #1370 of 3489 Old 03-21-2013, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post

Thanks

I don't think it supports MHL, but it does certainly support HDMI. Get yourself an MHL->HDMI adapter and use that. You won't get simultaneous charging, but you'll get audio/video output.

The other option is to get the 675, which does support MHL.

post #1371 of 3489 Old 03-24-2013, 12:01 AM

Hi all,
Great forum here - I've read the first 20 pages in this thread over the last few days, but I'm now getting anxious for some direct answers that I haven't found yet, ha ha. I'm a new owner of a 673, but I haven't even taken it out of the box yet, as I had to leave town the day I got it. While away, I've read the entire user manual (a snoozer, lol), but still have some questions. I'm replacing the receiver on a 5.1 HTIB that's about 10 years old. For now, I plan to keep the speakers and DVD player that came with my old system. My TV is about 2 years old and supports HDMI ARC. Some questions:

1. The user manual says a POWERED subwoofer is required. True? Mine old one is not powered. Any suggestions if I need to buy a new one?

2. Zone 2 audio. The manual refers to the 773 as being capable of "party mode", which plays the same audio in zones 1 and 2. I have the 673 and I can't determine from reading the manual if it is capable of the same? I intend to install some outdoor speakers on my deck - it would be really nice to WATCH the game in the den, then HEAR the game when I have to go out to flip burgers on the grill. It appears the 673 is capable of DIFFERENT audio in zone 2, but what about the SAME as zone1?

3. Any comments about WiFi vs. direct Cat 5 cable hookup for networking? I can re-locate my router and modem into the den if required, but if wifi works well I'll just leave it where it is.

4. If the 673 is hooked up to my home network (via cable or wifi), can I play videos located on my computer (which may be sitting in another room, for example) with the 673 itself? Or will I need some other device for this, such as Boxee Box, Google TV, etc?

5. Should I even bother to mess with the remote control too much, or will the Yamaha app on my iphone be better for setup and operation of the 673?

Thanks for any helpful info ladies/gents. I'm really looking forward to getting my system set up next week when I get home!
post #1372 of 3489 Old 03-24-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 154
1. Yes you need a powered sub. Small HTIB speakers will definitely need a sub. Also, the 673 probably isn't going to make your system sound much better until you replace those speakers.

2. The 673 does not support party mode (it's in the manual, it's a 773 feature only). You can get the same sound in zone 2 with the 673, but only if you add an analog audio connection from your source (so if the source is the TV using ARC, you cannot get that in zone 2). If your TV (or cable box) can output anlog audio as well, you can do it. BUT there will likely be a delay between the two zones that could produce a slight echo effect (if you can hear both zones from the same spot).

3. If you want to use WiFi you have to add a wireless access point (there's no WiFi built in).

4. No video streaming with the 673 alone. And once you add a separate media streamer you don't have to connect the 673 itself to the network if you don't want to.

5. For setup you'll probably want the original remote. The Yamaha App does not let you do everything (it's not intended for setup).
lemonslush likes this.
post #1373 of 3489 Old 03-24-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

1. Yes you need a powered sub. Small HTIB speakers will definitely need a sub. Also, the 673 probably isn't going to make your system sound much better until you replace those speakers.

2. The 673 does not support party mode (it's in the manual, it's a 773 feature only). You can get the same sound in zone 2 with the 673, but only if you add an analog audio connection from your source (so if the source is the TV using ARC, you cannot get that in zone 2). If your TV (or cable box) can output anlog audio as well, you can do it. BUT there will likely be a delay between the two zones that could produce a slight echo effect (if you can hear both zones from the same spot).

3. If you want to use WiFi you have to add a wireless access point (there's no WiFi built in).

4. No video streaming with the 673 alone. And once you add a separate media streamer you don't have to connect the 673 itself to the network if you don't want to.

5. For setup you'll probably want the original remote. The Yamaha App does not let you do everything (it's not intended for setup).
+1 Well done.

post #1374 of 3489 Old 03-24-2013, 04:17 PM

Thanks very much for the reply K,

Ok, I guess I'll be shopping for at least a subwoofer, and probably an entirely new 5.1 setup.

No "party mode" seems like a BIG DEAL to me. I don't have any zone 2 audio setup right now so can't say for sure, but it would seem to me that 90% of the time something like that is used, you would WANT the same audio going to both zones! i.e. so you can keep tabs on the game/tv show/whatever as you move from room to room. Hard to believe that the manufacturer would go to the trouble to make zone 2 available, but NOT allow the same audio to be played (at least without the workaround as you described). Maybe it's a ploy to sell the higher priced equipment, who knows. I'm not sure how I overlooked that while doing my research pre-purchase, but it seems important to me.

I'm still having trouble understanding the purpose of the network cable input on the back of the unit. If the 673 needs a separate media streaming device, wouldn't that device connect via HDMI??? If I need a separate device to access my network, maybe I'll just connect my laptop computer to the 673 directly with an HDMI and get a wireless keyboard/mouse?

Thanks again all - I'm quickly realizing I haven't been keeping up with advancements in technology for a long time and I have a lot of learning to do........
post #1375 of 3489 Old 03-24-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 154
The network cable input allows you to stream audio, just not video. I don't think any receivers support streaming video, but that's not really a bad thing because a dedicated media streamer will always have far better capabilities (and be updated more often) than the receiver. The network input also allows remote control via a smartphone app.

As for party mode, yes it's a useful feature and purely a marketing decision to support it on the 773 and not the 673.
post #1376 of 3489 Old 03-24-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:

The network cable input allows you to stream audio, just not video. I don't think any receivers support streaming video, but that's not really a bad thing because a dedicated media streamer will always have far better capabilities (and be updated more often) than the receiver. The network input also allows remote control via a smartphone app.

As for party mode, yes it's a useful feature and purely a marketing decision to support it on the 773 and not the 673.

Perfect - thank you again! Good point re: the dedicated media streaming device.

Looks like I'll be hooking it up the network then, as I'm pretty sure I'm going to want to use a smartphone app as well as stream internet radio.
post #1377 of 3489 Old 03-25-2013, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

+1

I'd add that you might be able to use the passive sub as a stopgap, but only if the passive sub has high level inputs and outputs (i.e., speaker wire connections). You can set the left and right speakers to "large", connect the sub to the left and right outputs and connect the L/R satellites to the sub. P. 91+ of the manual has more. The larger point still stands, though, that the speakers are still the weak link. New satellites and a powered sub will make a huge difference

post #1378 of 3489 Old 03-25-2013, 09:38 PM

Thanks much JD NC. My old HTIB subwoofer simply has a 2 wire input, the same as the rest of the speakers. There is no output, so I'll probably have to modify the setup you described a bit. Thanks for the idea though. It would certainly be nice to have a stopgap measure before I get new speakers - just getting this far (researching) has been quite time consuming and I'll probably take a break for a few weeks before I start speaker shopping!

I will say though, I've been considering returning the 673 in favor of a 773 or maybe 810 to get the "party mode" described above (still not sure how I missed that seemingly important (to me) feature in my research). All this before I've even hooked the thing up for the first time! AVRs above the 773 or 810 level are probably more than my simple needs require.

It's funny - I started down this road with the simple intention of kicking my "triple play" TV/internet/phone service to the curb and only going with internet service, supplemented with a Roku and TV antenna, to save $100+ bucks per month. Oh my, what have I gotten myself into!!
post #1379 of 3489 Old 03-26-2013, 09:08 PM

Any way to disable inputs on this receiver?

I just purchased and loving all the features. However, I would like to "disable" most of the inputs so when I'm cycling through the inputs using the front buttons I only see the inputs that I actually have connected. Is this possible? I can't seem to find a way to do this.

thanks.
post #1380 of 3489 Old 03-29-2013, 03:27 AM

In case anyone's interested Newegg has a sale on the V673 for $379 with promo code.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115376

I'm thinking of buying one of these to replace my Marantz Sr7200 that appears to have a broken speaker output. I know I'm buying a significantly less higher end receiver but we aren't looking so spend a huge amount and I don't think it's worth getting the old receiver fixed.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V673 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page