The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 3492 Old 04-04-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Using a separate amp CAN be beneficial. You can avoid distortion at high volumes and free up the 773 amp so that it can perform better with the other speakers. But if you use it to biamp you are wasting your time and a good amp. I would try to find a thread about amplifiers. There are plenty of them. Do some research and ask questions before you hook it up.

ok will do...what if i just hook it up regular 5 channel. wouldnt it drive my speakers better than the yamaha? actualy im happy with the output of the 773, its just I have access to a free power amp(a rather good one at that).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 3492 Old 04-04-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

ok will do...what if i just hook it up regular 5 channel. wouldnt it drive my speakers better than the yamaha? actualy im happy with the output of the 773, its just I have access to a free power amp(a rather good one at that).
It may. Thats a good and popular amp. I left you a link in your thread. Check it out.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #1443 of 3492 Old 04-05-2013, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Doesn't the 673 have a better YPAO along with more fine tunable features as far as speaker setup/calibration than the 473?
post #1444 of 3492 Old 04-05-2013, 05:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterCat View Post

Doesn't the 673 have a better YPAO along with more fine tunable features as far as speaker setup/calibration than the 473?
No. Not that Im aware of. YPAO is the same.

post #1445 of 3492 Old 04-05-2013, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

Yes, the 673 YPAO has the new R.S.C. (Reflected Sound Control) feature, although I don't know how much difference this really makes. The 673 also allows manual control of the Parametric EQ, while the 473 has less flexibility (but in practice this is not a big difference).

The biggest difference is that the 673 has real discrete amps, whereas the 473 has an integrated amp (basically everything in a single integrated circuit). So there's a much bigger difference in power than the specs indicate.

Edit: Actually I notice that the Yamaha website says the 473 also has discrete amps, as this feature seems to have migrated down to lower models this year. But the 673 should still have more real power.
post #1446 of 3492 Old 04-05-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Is the 673 YPAO RSC still a single measuring point? And are you saying that on the 473 you cannot eq each speaker manually?

post #1447 of 3492 Old 04-05-2013, 06:19 AM

According to Yamaha the 473's YPAO just calibrates for speaker distance and there is only one PEQ to choice. With the 673's YPAO it has the RSC (reflective sound control) and also gives you three different PEQ's to choose from: flat, front, and natural. I don't know how much of a difference the RSC feature will make, but I've got an acoustically challenged room and I'm willing to give it a shot. I've read through both the 473 and 673's manuals and the 673 has more customization ability throughout its features.
post #1448 of 3492 Old 04-05-2013, 06:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

And krik has a good point about the discrete amps too. I dont know how much difference you will hear but it is better. Particularly in a 5.1 application. But you are set up for 2.0 right now arent you?

post #1449 of 3492 Old 04-05-2013, 07:16 AM

I currently am set up in 2.0 but I think the discrete amps will still help out. I think the 473 gets tired after a few hours of use because everything starts off sounding great and then after a few hours I can start to hear noticeable sound degradation even at moderate (-25 to -35 dbs).
post #1450 of 3492 Old 04-05-2013, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

According to Yamaha the 473's YPAO just calibrates for speaker distance and there is only one PEQ to choice. With the 673's YPAO it has the RSC (reflective sound control) and also gives you three different PEQ's to choose from: flat, front, and natural. I don't know how much of a difference the RSC feature will make, but I've got an acoustically challenged room and I'm willing to give it a shot. I've read through both the 473 and 673's manuals and the 673 has more customization ability throughout its features.

I have a 773, and I'll tell you something I really like about the YPAO options (similar to those on the 673). As stated, you get three options in Flat, Front, and Natural. Natural really rolls off the highs on my Polk speakers, resulting in a sound that isn't overly bright. In fact, with TV source material, especially music channels, the sound feels a little lacking. Flat sounds better, but I still wanted to open it up a bit so I copied Flat to the manual settings and brought the mids and highs up a bit more. This brings that TV music sound, which seems to have less DR and muted highs, to life a bit better.

With recorded material, even MP3's, the story is different. At higher volumes the Flat and my manual tweaks are much brighter sounding, possibly fatiguing. For this, the YPAO Natural settings works quite well. That's what I'd probably use at a party, where people might not like to have the tweeters screaming at them all night. I really like having these options for different sources and situations, and I like that I can tweak the YPAO settings directly, or copy them to Manual and tweak them there.

I am by no means an audiophile, yet I can really tell the difference between the settings and I can appreciate the option to use different settings for different material and input sources.
post #1451 of 3492 Old 04-05-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Is the 673 YPAO RSC still a single measuring point? And are you saying that on the 473 you cannot eq each speaker manually?

673 YPAO is still one point, but the 773 gives you multi-point.

The 673 gives you full control over the PEQ (e.g. you can start with the YPAO result and add tweaks). With the 473 you either choose the YPAO result OR you can use less flexible manual EQ. The 473 manual EQ is a graphic equalizer with fixed filter frequencies and widths, although in practice that's often enough except for the sub, and neither the 673 or 473 will apply EQ to the sub).
post #1452 of 3492 Old 04-05-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

neither the 673 or 473 will apply EQ to the sub).

Nor will the 773, which does kind of suck. Other manufacturers apparently are able to EQ the sub (Audyssey, or some versions of it, I think can do this). I have noticed definite bumps and dips in the bass as I walk around, and I've read that the lower frequencies are where you really need this. I may end up getting a device or a sub that can do this.

However, since neither the 473, 673, or 773 can do this, it's not a deciding factor between these receivers. I'm just expressing a concern that I had formerly thought wasn't a big deal, but that I would now like some control over biggrin.gif
post #1453 of 3492 Old 04-05-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post

Nor will the 773, which does kind of suck. Other manufacturers apparently are able to EQ the sub (Audyssey, or some versions of it, I think can do this). I have noticed definite bumps and dips in the bass as I walk around, and I've read that the lower frequencies are where you really need this. I may end up getting a device or a sub that can do this.

EQ for the sub starts at the RX-A2020, and even then the EQ available is not that precise so a separate sub EQ system might be needed (depending on your room). But sub placement can make a big difference, so if you haven't done a "sub crawl" you should try it.
post #1454 of 3492 Old 04-05-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

if you haven't done a "sub crawl" you should try it.

I've been thinking about it. I tried explaining it to my girlfriend recently, which elicited an "uh huh" or some such equally enthusiastic response. As is likely common, there aren't a lot of options for placing the sub in my room. I need an upgrade anyway, so I'm looking at one of the available in-line devices, or possibly a Paradigm sub combined with their PBK (perfect bass kit). For now, I'll live with bumps and dips.
post #1455 of 3492 Old 04-05-2013, 10:54 AM

Liked: 14
I am looking for a wireless bridge for the 673. There is a common one that has been posted around here for around $30 but I can't remember.

Anybody know?

I think it was this one for $29.18...
http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WNCE2001-Universal-Internet-Adapter/dp/B007CO5DZ4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Anyone using it?

Amazon has the Yammy YWA-10 for $80.....but that seems too much.
post #1456 of 3492 Old 04-05-2013, 12:02 PM

Liked: 10
Took the plunge & am swapping the 673 for a 773. I probably had my last unit (also a Yamaha) 10 years or more -- having the digital input on Zone 2 will likely extend the life of the new one a few more years. It just seems to make sense if you are using the Zone2 feature. And the volume to my external speaker network seemed a bit anemic (haven't figured out how to control that as yet), so I may eventually use the pre-out for that. The wireless is convenient -- although already got hardwire hookups. It would be interesting as all the wireless connections pile up to the same router, if there would be a point of a throughput issues. iTunes streaming from my laptop, which is then streamed to to receiver. But there probably aren't too many heavy use items that would happen at the same time.
post #1457 of 3492 Old 04-06-2013, 02:01 PM

Anyone happen to know what the FW updates have done/fixed/improved since v1.27 which is what my recently obtained v673 has, has been working fine and am wondering what the v1.64 aside from it's stated improvements changes. Since yamaha does not seem to have info on the previous updates tyhat I can find.

Thanks in advance.

Chun Tosaigh Go an Ar Fud an Domhain Lucht Oibre Poblacht, Ardú-Raise an Réaltach Céachta an Scarlóideach Caighdeán Ar Ard!
post #1458 of 3492 Old 04-06-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post

I have a 773, and I'll tell you something I really like about the YPAO options (similar to those on the 673). As stated, you get three options in Flat, Front, and Natural. Natural really rolls off the highs on my Polk speakers, resulting in a sound that isn't overly bright. In fact, with TV source material, especially music channels, the sound feels a little lacking. Flat sounds better, but I still wanted to open it up a bit so I copied Flat to the manual settings and brought the mids and highs up a bit more. This brings that TV music sound, which seems to have less DR and muted highs, to life a bit better.

With recorded material, even MP3's, the story is different. At higher volumes the Flat and my manual tweaks are much brighter sounding, possibly fatiguing. For this, the YPAO Natural settings works quite well. That's what I'd probably use at a party, where people might not like to have the tweeters screaming at them all night. I really like having these options for different sources and situations, and I like that I can tweak the YPAO settings directly, or copy them to Manual and tweak them there.

I am by no means an audiophile, yet I can really tell the difference between the settings and I can appreciate the option to use different settings for different material and input sources.

So I got the 673 yesterday and swapped it out with the 473. After listening to the two virtually back to back and going into it with the impression that they were going to sound the same and I shouldn't have spent the extra $100 to upgrade to the 673, I'm glad that I did. I noticed a definite improvement in sound quality. The Dali's became much more open. The other half, who is by far from a discernible listener was able to hear a great improvement. With the 2.0 set up the "front" YPAO setting sounds the best with TV shows and a slightly tweaked manual setting of the front sound great for music. I think both sound a little too bright at higher volumes and I'll have to read about how to properly set up an EQ to make some more adjustments.

So before I spend time sifting through the manual as to how to do it, is there a way to go in and set a preset EQ setting for each scene so I don't have to manually do it when I switch from TV to music?
post #1459 of 3492 Old 04-06-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:

So before I spend time sifting through the manual as to how to do it, is there a way to go in and set a preset EQ setting for each scene so I don't have to manually do it when I switch from TV to music?

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to link EQ settings to inputs or scenes. I keep the remote handy. Generally, I keep it on flat or my slightly tweaked version of flat that I have in the manual settings for TV viewing, including music channels, and I may put it on natural for higher quality music, especially if I play it at higher volumes, to keep the sound from being too bright.

If you find a way to have separate EQ settings for each input or scene, please let me know. It may be there, and I have simply not have found it yet.
post #1460 of 3492 Old 04-07-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...I think both sound a little too bright at higher volumes and I'll have to read about how to properly set up an EQ to make some more adjustments. So before I spend time sifting through the manual as to how to do it, is there a way to go in and set a preset EQ setting for each scene so I don't have to manually do it when I switch from TV to music?

The EQ is not stored per scene, but to adjust the bright sound don't discount the good old treble control. The tone controls operate independently on each input (see page 78), so try reducing the treble a few dBs on the sources that seem too bright.
post #1461 of 3492 Old 04-07-2013, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wader2k View Post

I am looking for a wireless bridge for the 673. There is a common one that has been posted around here for around $30 but I can't remember.

Anybody know?

I think it was this one for $29.18...
http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WNCE2001-Universal-Internet-Adapter/dp/B007CO5DZ4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Anyone using it?

Amazon has the Yammy YWA-10 for $80.....but that seems too much.

That looks like the one I have seen people reference in the past. If you have an old router you might be able to flash it with dd-wrt or tomato and turn it into a wireless bridge for free.
post #1462 of 3492 Old 04-08-2013, 08:37 AM

I'm looking to replace an older HTR-5960, can anyone speak to how this compares? Anyone here have experience with both and can give me an idea if this is a good replacement for the 5960? The 5960 still works good for me, so it isn't an immediate need, but I would like to have the HDMI inputs and the price on this unit seems pretty sweet right now. But the last thing I want to do is upgrade and then be disappointed.

Thanks!
post #1463 of 3492 Old 04-08-2013, 09:01 AM

I just got the 673 this weekend so I doubt I'm the best qualified to answer this but at 354 (amazons current price) I think it's well worth it. That said I have no experience with the 5960 so I'm not sure how the two would compare.
mattbooty likes this.
post #1464 of 3492 Old 04-08-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I just got the 673 this weekend so I doubt I'm the best qualified to answer this but at 354 (amazons current price) I think it's well worth it. That said I have no experience with the 5960 so I'm not sure how the two would compare.
Its $380 right now but I agree.

post #1465 of 3492 Old 04-08-2013, 10:10 AM

Ha, it was $354 right before I went to lunch and now its up to $399! I am going to keep an eye on it and watch for it to come back down in price. I just wanted to make sure I don't get it and find out that the sound processing maybe isn't as good (even though its newer), or that the slightly less power (90 per channel vs 115 per channel) will actually make much of a difference.

Thanks for your replies. In the meantime if anyone does have experience with the 5960 also (or replaced one with the other like I'm thinking of doing), let me know if you can think of any reason NOT to do this upgrade.

Thanks!
post #1466 of 3492 Old 04-08-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbooty View Post

Ha, it was $354 right before I went to lunch and now its up to $399! I am going to keep an eye on it and watch for it to come back down in price. I just wanted to make sure I don't get it and find out that the sound processing maybe isn't as good (even though its newer), or that the slightly less power (90 per channel vs 115 per channel) will actually make much of a difference.

Thanks for your replies. In the meantime if anyone does have experience with the 5960 also (or replaced one with the other like I'm thinking of doing), let me know if you can think of any reason NOT to do this upgrade.

Thanks!

I don't think the power difference is as much as you say. The 115 wpc for the HTR-5960 seems to be the 1kHz (likely 1-channel driven) power rating, for which the 673 is rated 105 wpc. The better rating to use is the 2-channels driven 20Hz to 20kHz rating, for which the HTR-5960 is 100 wpc, and the 673 is 90 wpc. This is not a very big difference in terms of sound output--just a small touch of headroom, perhaps.
mattbooty likes this.
post #1467 of 3492 Old 04-08-2013, 10:24 AM

This is why I come to AVS before I buy my home theater products haha! My slightly above average home theater knowledge pales in comparison to most of the people on here. I'm going to keep an eye on this and if the price drops again I'll scoop it up (unless in the meantime someone posts a reason for me not to).

Thanks again!
post #1468 of 3492 Old 04-08-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbooty View Post

In the meantime if anyone does have experience with the 5960 also (or replaced one with the other like I'm thinking of doing), let me know if you can think of any reason NOT to do this upgrade.

The power difference is too small to matter. The 673 has a lot more flexibility in setup (different YPAO modes and manual EQ), and any big difference you hear in the sound will likely be due to the way you set it up (and if you're not into tweaking, you might not care about extra manual options).

I upgraded ages ago from a 5760 (two years older than your 5960) to an RX-V1800 (higher end than the 673), and while there was an improvement in sound it wasn't nearly as big as when I upgraded speakers. For me it was worth it for HDMI and to get the best audio out of Blu-ray. The 673 is definitely a good deal at the moment and will give you plenty of new features to play with.

One thing you'll need to do with the 673 is turn up the volume on your sub. The old models had 4V subwoofer pre-outs and now they're down to 1V.

Also if you still have source devices that require analog video, note that the 673 will not be able to convert them to HDMI (except for interlaced 480i).
mattbooty likes this.
post #1469 of 3492 Old 04-08-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Hi Guy's thinking of getting this receiver the 673 after 2 attempts on the Onkyo 515 both were sent back HDMI issues, so right now glancing at this thread and was wondering what is the biggest issue with this recever?? if any and come on every receiver has a little problem at first

Thanks

Ralph
post #1470 of 3492 Old 04-08-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

Hi Guy's thinking of getting this receiver the 673 after 2 attempts on the Onkyo 515 both were sent back HDMI issues, so right now glancing at this thread and was wondering what is the biggest issue with this recever?? if any and come on every receiver has a little problem at first

Thanks

Some people don't like that it doesn't transcode component inputs to HDMI at resolutions above 480i, nor can it upconvert them. I solved this with a $40 component-to-HDMI converter from monoprice, although that is an extra expense. I don't need the upcoversion, though, because my TV seems to do a slightly better job of it.

The 673 has spring clips for the 2nd zone, not binding posts (the 773 has binding posts for all speaker outputs, as well as a full set of pre-outs).

YPAO doesn't EQ the subwoofer, which I thought I didn't care much about, but now wish that I had.

I'm just nit-picking, though. It's a nice receiver, especially for the price you're looking at.

Disclosure: I actually have a 773. At first I got a 673, but it was faulty and when I returned it the prices were close so I went for the 773. They are very similar, and I'm quite happy with it so far. I have no experience with Onkyo, so I cannot offer a comparison.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V673 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page