The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 67 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1981 of 3482 Old 06-11-2013, 04:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYDeckard View Post

Thanks for that but still dont understand about the airplay as i thought it was really plug n play - Have mailed yamaha support. Perhaps I should turn off the Dolby on the freesat and just run with common garden stereo. What does everyone here run with on the audio preset for tv ? I use the 7 channel preset
I run the "Standard" surround mode.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 3482 Old 06-11-2013, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No I assumed quite wrongly it would have built in wifi so just ordered a homeplug to plug into my network - Besides these tiny gripes I find the system to be just gobsmacking as my last system which I had had from new was a Sony Davs800 !! As it was so easy to browser my iphone for music via USB I might now be tempted to get a 250 gig drive and store all my tunes on there for permanent direct access although I have got an old 160 gig iPod which could work nicely smile.gif
post #1983 of 3482 Old 06-11-2013, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post

As far as the bass output goes, I find that YPAO sets the bass very low.

I found the microphone location(s) will make a dramatic difference in the amount of bass delivered. By slightly varying the locations I ended up with a lot more thump (I tend to call it presence). Still not as much as Denon/Marantz/Onkyo but on a pure guess I cut the difference in half with a little trial and error.

post #1984 of 3482 Old 06-11-2013, 06:12 AM

Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I found the microphone location(s) will make a dramatic difference in the amount of bass delivered. By slightly varying the locations I ended up with a lot more thump (I tend to call it presence). Still not as much as Denon/Marantz/Onkyo but on a pure guess I cut the difference in half with a little trial and error.

No doubt they will, due to room modes. Put the mic in a peak spot, and the sub output would be set lower, put it in a null spot and the sub output would be set higher. I'm guessing this is what is going on.

However, I put the mic in my listening position, because that's where I want the sound to be optimized for. Higher frequencies are not as subject to room modes, as I understand it, so I don't want to throw off all of the higher frequencies at my listening position to get bass output that I can just adjust higher afterward anyway. I have 773, so I can do multi-point YPAO, but I got mixed results with that and so I'm currently using a single-point setting.

Based on a sub crawl, my listening position is not in a null zone, but also not quite in a peak zone. I get good bass response at that position, but not such that YPAO should set it so low (at least not in my opinion, but most of us are not accustomed to flat bass response).
post #1985 of 3482 Old 06-11-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

However, I put the mic in my listening position, because that's where I want the sound to be optimized for. Higher frequencies are not as subject to room modes, as I understand it, so I don't want to throw off all of the higher frequencies at my listening position to get bass output that I can just adjust higher afterward anyway. I have 773, so I can do multi-point YPAO, but I got mixed results with that and so I'm currently using a single-point setting.

Obviously, I wouldn't put it outside of the listening area. I have a RX-A820 and found the single-point didn't work for me (at all). At least for my preference. By moving the microphone centered around the sweet spot made the difference. The overly bright sound disappeared and was replaced with warmth. Which is what I have found lacking with Yamaha.

For me I couldn't adjust the bass afterwards as it was across the board not simply adding boom to the low-end. To the point I'm saying try a a few different calibrations methods as in reality it's simply a non perfect EQ process and by trying different options you might be lucky and hit one that's close to perfect for you.

post #1986 of 3482 Old 06-11-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:

Obviously, I wouldn't put it outside of the listening area. I have a RX-A820 and found the single-point didn't work for me (at all). At least for my preference. By moving the microphone centered around the sweet spot made the difference. The overly bright sound disappeared and was replaced with warmth. Which is what I have found lacking with Yamaha.

For me I couldn't adjust the bass afterwards as it was across the board not simply adding boom to the low-end. To the point I'm saying try a a few different calibrations methods as in reality it's simply a non perfect EQ process and by trying different options you might be lucky and hit one that's close to perfect for you.

My understanding of multi-point is that it does the best it can for all measurement points, but that in so doing it must compromise the ideal settings that it would apply to a single point. However, if you like the results you are getting, that's what counts. As you said, experimenting might get you to where you like it.

I have Polk speakers all around, and YPAO provides pretty good options between their Flat and Normal PEQ settings. Flat is a little brighter, although I find it nice at lower to moderate listening levels (nice clarity). Normal rolls off the high end and has a warmer sound, which is better at high levels to keep those tweeters from screaming too much.

What I've also done is toy around with copying a set of YPAO PEQ settings to Manual and tinkering with it. It's really hard to tell if the tweaks you make will destroy the room correction YPAO has made, so I try to be subtle. I maintain the shape of the curve while, for example, boosting the low end a bit to provide smoother integration with the sub, and perhaps adjusting the highs up or down depending on whether I'm looking for brighter or warmer sound. For the highs, though, the treble tone control might be a simpler approach. I've also tinkered with the mids to get more pronounced vocals. All of this is a bit hit-and-miss, though, but it's easy to start over by re-copying a YPAO PEQ curve to Manual.
post #1987 of 3482 Old 06-11-2013, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My understanding of multi-point is that it does the best it can for all measurement points, but that in so doing it must compromise the ideal settings that it would apply to a single point.

I think one has to go in with the understanding that there is no ideal settings. Only a point the EQ process is attempting to achieve and without question various EQ processes look at achieve different results. The moment you switch to Flat or tinker you have moved from the ideal. How ideal can it be when it doesn't even EQ the subwoofer...

I'm guessing such tinkering is moving further away than simply giving the EQ process a few points of reference. I know I don't sit perfectly still in one location while I watch a movie. The moment I shift the left I've broken that ideal... slide down in my chair a few inches... heck I rather let the EQ process know where I'm going to be and let it come up with the ideal sound based on where I'll be... not where I'm sitting in theory. smile.gif

post #1988 of 3482 Old 06-11-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:

I think one has to go in with the understanding that there is no ideal settings. Only a point the EQ process is attempting to achieve and without question various EQ processes look at achieve different results. The moment you switch to Flat or tinker you have moved from the ideal. How ideal can it be when it doesn't even EQ the subwoofer...

I'm guessing such tinkering is moving further away than simply giving the EQ process a few points of reference. I know I don't sit perfectly still in one location while I watch a movie. The moment I shift the left I've broken that ideal... slide down in my chair a few inches... heck I rather let the EQ process know where I'm going to be and let it come up with the ideal sound based on where I'll be... not where I'm sitting in theory. smile.gif

Perhaps you've put too much stake into my use of the term "ideal". Obviously, it can only be ideal within the capabilities of YPAO.

Tinkering likely does varying degrees of damage to the correction, no doubt. However, I don't see how Flat does. At least no more than Normal would. These are both options presented after running YPAO. If we assume they aren't perfect, then we assume (rightly) that YPAO isn't perfect. I don't see where this gets us, though. YPAO provides a selection of 3 PEQ curves to choose from, and we have to assume they are the best YPAO can do. I'm just confused as to why Flat would cause a particular problem. I think I've misunderstood your point.

YPAO, at this level, doesn't EQ the sub, that's just a fact. I don't think I'd use this as a reason that it doesn't cover the other speakers well (it may not, but I don't think it's related to the lack of sub EQ). I'm thinking of a miniDSP myself, but I haven't had time to get into that too much yet.

I wasn't condemning multi-point. I just wasn't crazy about what it gave me so I went back to single point. The way I sometimes sit, I lean very close to the RS speaker, and I know that spot is definitely not optimized, nor do I care to put the mic there even in a multi-point run. I may try multi-point again at some time, but for now I know where the sweet spot is and when I'm out of it. Really, aside from getting too close to that RS speaker, I can't tell a whole lot of difference when I move a foot or so here or there. My ears likely just aren't good enough to notice biggrin.gif
post #1989 of 3482 Old 06-11-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tinkering likely does varying degrees of damage to the correction, no doubt. However, I don't see how Flat does. At least no more than Normal would. These are both options presented after running YPAO. If we assume they aren't perfect, then we assume (rightly) that YPAO isn't perfect. I don't see where this gets us, though. YPAO provides a selection of 3 PEQ curves to choose from, and we have to assume they are the best YPAO can do. I'm just confused as to why Flat would cause a particular problem. I think I've misunderstood your point.

My point is there is no perfect (ideal) EQ. Just as there is no way of knowing if one position or multi-positions will get you closer to YPAO's ultimate goal or more importantly to your preference. I just question the concept of one position isn't compromised and remains such when butchered with various adjustments afterwards. These adjustments (even switching to Flat) will most often be much more of a compromise than using multi-positions. It's altering the sound away from the defined goal...

Quote:

My understanding of multi-point is that it does the best it can for all measurement points, but that in so doing it must compromise the ideal settings that it would apply to a single point.

For some reason you keep taking it to extremes such as positioning the microphone right next to a speaker which obviously doesn't address the concept (at all). Having multiple locations close to your sweet spot gives the EQ process more (useful) information than a single position. Heck you even have two ears so one position certainly isn't ideal within that scope. Of course we are free to prefer the results of any method we see fit to try. Again, I think we agree I just don't think providing YPAO (more information) localized around the listening area (even within a foot diameter) is compromising.

post #1990 of 3482 Old 06-11-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:

My point is there is no perfect (ideal) EQ. Just as there is no way of knowing if one position or multi-positions will get you closer to YPAO's ultimate goal or more importantly to your preference. I just question the concept of one position isn't compromised and remains such when butchered with various adjustments afterwards. These adjustments (even switching to Flat) will most often be much more of a compromise than using multi-positions. It's altering the sound away from the defined goal...

For some reason you keep taking it to extremes such as positioning the microphone right next to a speaker which obviously doesn't address the concept (at all). Having multiple locations close to your sweet spot gives the EQ process more (useful) information than a single position. Heck you even have two ears so one position certainly isn't ideal within that scope. Of course we are free to prefer the results of any method we see fit to try. Again, I think we agree I just don't think providing YPAO (more information) localized around the listening area (even within a foot diameter) is compromising.

I think we're done. I have never claimed there was a perfect EQ (as I explained, I used the term 'ideal' with respect the capabilities of YPAO). I hadn't caught that you were moving the mic in such a small way around the listening area. I was trying various listening positions (both ends of the sofa, the chair, etc). If it works for you, that's great. Maybe I'll try it myself and see if I notice an improvement.

I have said that my tinkering is likely messing with YPAO's correction, perhaps "butchering " it (no need to hammer at that), but I don't know what you mean by referring to "switching to Flat" as an adjustment. Flat is one of the curves YPAO produces whether you use one or multiple positions; it's not an alternative to multiple positions. Flat is the output of YPAO, so I'm not clear on how is it compromising YPAO. One would think that flat response is one of the goals many people want to achieve.
post #1991 of 3482 Old 06-11-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Flat is the output of YPAO, so I'm not clear on how is it compromising YPAO. One would think that flat response is one of the goals many people want to achieve.

Since the ideal EQ isn't defined by Yamaha we have no way of knowing if Flat, Natural (or wharnot) is their desired goal. As such applying Flat to the EQ results may well be no different than any other tinkering... be it multi-position, etc.. perhaps getting us further away from their undefined goal. I agree Flat is a great goal and one many may find to be their preference. My only reference to it is it's simply another way of tweaking...

Again, I think we agree (99%)... I just found the semantics of multi-positions being a compromise by default wrong.

post #1992 of 3482 Old 06-11-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:

Since the ideal EQ isn't defined by Yamaha we have no way of knowing if Flat, Natural (or wharnot) is their desired goal. As such applying Flat to the EQ results may well be no different than any other tinkering... be it multi-position, etc.. perhaps getting us further away from their undefined goal. I agree Flat is a great goal and one many may find to be their preference. My only reference to it is it's simply another way of tweaking...

Again, I think we agree (99%)... I just found the semantics of multi-positions being a compromise by default wrong.

We are only speaking withing the context of YPAO. I meant ideal YPAO settings, not some absolute ideal setting. Flat is a YPAO output, so choosing it cannot compromise YPAO. My understanding is that we're not applying Flat to the output, Flat is an output. Just like Normal is an alternate output. I just don't see how the output can compromise itself, or be considered a tweak to itself. If so, there is no "untweaked" output from YPAO at all (recognizing that YPAO itself is a tweak, but again, our discussion is within the context of YPAO). I guess I'm really missing your point here.

As for multi-position being somewhat of a compromise, I had read that a few times. Is it true? I'm not sure. It does make some sense, though. Speaker distances cannot be set exact for more than one location. For a single point, the DSP can do whatever it likes without concern for any other point in the room. With multi-points, it seems to me that it must find the best balance that satisfies all of the points. I may indeed be wrong. So be it. I have nothing else to offer on the matter, so I'd rather not debate it further.
post #1993 of 3482 Old 06-11-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I use YPAO for nothing more than distance and volume. Because my fronts have weaknesses that my surrounds dont. And my back surrounds have strengths that my front heights dont. I manually changed the parametric eq settings for each speaker so drastically that it would probably blow both of you guys away.
Sounds fantastic! smile.gif

post #1994 of 3482 Old 06-11-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I use YPAO for nothing more than distance and volume. Because my fronts have weaknesses that my surrounds dont. And my back surrounds have strengths that my front heights dont. I manually changed the parametric eq settings for each speaker so drastically that it would probably blow both of you guys away.
Sounds fantastic! smile.gif

My speakers are all pretty well matched. Doesn't YPAO try to compensate for the weaknesses, as well as perform room correction, when it generates the curves? Each of my speakers has a different curve, presumably because of the room dynamics in my case.

I'm afraid of wrecking the room correction part if I tinker too dramatically. As long as it sounds great, though, that's what counts.
post #1995 of 3482 Old 06-11-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My speakers are all pretty well matched. Doesn't YPAO try to compensate for the weaknesses, as well as perform room correction, when it generates the curves? Each of my speakers has a different curve, presumably because of the room dynamics in my case.

I'm afraid of wrecking the room correction part if I tinker too dramatically. As long as it sounds great, though, that's what counts.
Yes. To all of that. YPAO just doesnt do it to my satisfaction. I have had many people compliment me on my system so I think Im OK. wink.gif

post #1996 of 3482 Old 06-11-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Flat is a YPAO output, so choosing it cannot compromise YPAO. My understanding is that we're not applying Flat to the output, Flat is an output. Just like Normal is an alternate output. I just don't see how the output can compromise itself, or be considered a tweak to itself. If so, there is no "untweaked" output from YPAO at all (recognizing that YPAO itself is a tweak, but again, our discussion is within the context of YPAO). I guess I'm really missing your point here.

Yes you are. The purpose of YPAO is to EQ your installation to a (undefined) reference point. One of which they have deemed accurate. The moment you have additional options (tweaks) you are going away from the desired reference point. Now if you prefer going away from it that's fine... it was only brought into the discussion to point having the receiver apply a global variation (Flat, Natural, etc) is really no different than manual tweaking. Or even using multi-positions to obtain results closer to your preference.

Again, the real point is of which I think you agree... YPAO attempts to EQ your installation to an undefined reference point. Any adjustments made afterwards are virtually identical in that they all take you away from it.

Use Pioneer's MCACC as an example. They offer three main EQ methods. One adjust all speakers (to be accurate), another matches the rest to the fronts and the last one matches pairs (front to each other, sides to each others...). My thinking is the All Channel Adjust is the proper EQ... and when using the others even though they are offered by MCACC they are no different than manually EQing... you are drifting away from the accurate reference points (deemed by MCACC).

post #1997 of 3482 Old 06-11-2013, 01:37 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Please use paragraphs when posting. When it all runs together its confusing.
-10 is the limit that the 673 will display. Your sub volume may be at -25. Keep running YPAO until you get the sub volume close to 0. Then set ALL speakers to small and crossover to 80.
I dont think theres anything you can do about the Freesat in the 673.Maybe theres a setting in the box.
Please use apostrophes. When the letters all run together it's confusing. tongue.gif
post #1998 of 3482 Old 06-11-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:

Yes you are. The purpose of YPAO is to EQ your installation to a (undefined) reference point. One of which they have deemed accurate. The moment you have additional options (tweaks) you are going away from the desired reference point. Now if you prefer going away from it that's fine... it was only brought into the discussion to point having the receiver apply a global variation (Flat, Natural, etc) is really no different than manual tweaking. Or even using multi-positions to obtain results closer to your preference.

Again, the real point is of which I think you agree... YPAO attempts to EQ your installation to an undefined reference point. Any adjustments made afterwards are virtually identical in that they all take you away from it.

So which one is accurate, Flat, Natural, or Front? I contend that they are all "accurate" with regard to this undefined reference point in terms of room correction. The only difference between Flat and Natural is the frequency response, where Natural rolls off the high frequencies. What setting from YPAO is not considered a tweak on top of YPAO, and is thus the "accurate" curve, if I might ask? There are only 3 to choose from.
post #1999 of 3482 Old 06-12-2013, 03:30 PM

Airplay requires the 673 to be wired to the network. Your iPhone 5 must also be on the network (wireless is fine). Remember, you will ONLY GET AUDIO. Set net to standby, then when you use iTunes, the 673 will turn on automatically. Extremely cool.
post #2000 of 3482 Old 06-12-2013, 05:57 PM

Liked: 15
Finally added a sub today, and I'm less than impressed. I feel I have to have something set wrong, or the sub is a dud.

Set up is:

673 AVR
Klipsch RW-12 Sub
Polk 45b's for fronts

Just 2.1 for now.

Sub is set up at -16db, Phase is at 180 now, seemed to pump the bass up a tad from where it was when it was set at 0. LFE is on.

YPAO set the sub at 0.0, which is good from what I've read. It set my fronts as LARGE, which I've since changed to small manually (no clue why it wants these as large..). If I try and up the db level via the 673, the bass just gets muddy and annoying. I'm watching the Expendables, and I'm not getting much of anything.

Should I up the volume on the sub or what? Something just seems off. I cannot do a subcrawl, as this is really the only place for me to put a sub. I have to make the best of what I have.
post #2001 of 3482 Old 06-12-2013, 06:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You should be getting good bass with those settings. Sounds like you have a placement issue. Especially if the bass sounds muddy when you turn it up. It will probably be the same thing if you turn it up in the sub instead of the avr but you can try it. Theres not much you can do if you have it in a bad spot other than move it.
What is the avr xover?

post #2002 of 3482 Old 06-12-2013, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I'm assuming the -16 db setting is the volume setting on the sub, with ypao at 0db? What crossover setting did it set? Some movies have better LFE tracks than others. Try upping the volume on the sub. Try moving the sub, even just a little and see if it makes a differnce. Could just be the room and location.
post #2003 of 3482 Old 06-12-2013, 06:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Your assumption is correct. The 673 will only display to +-10.

post #2004 of 3482 Old 06-12-2013, 06:59 PM

Liked: 15
-16 is sub setting, 0 is ypao setting.

Xover is 80. I've tried it at a few other places but I didn't care for it. Anything above 90 and I could hear the sub constantly.

I'm thinking the audio track for that movie was garbage. I tried watching the original Tron and it sounded pretty good. I wish I could do the sub crawl but I just have no other place to put it, besides behind me.
post #2005 of 3482 Old 06-12-2013, 07:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Try it behind you. Low frequency sound is onmidirectional so it cant hurt. That may be a much better place.

post #2006 of 3482 Old 06-13-2013, 11:05 AM

Hi guys.

Ive connected my 673 to the internet using a netgear wireless extender. So there is a Cable between the extender and my reciever. Then the extender is connected to my router thru Wifi.

I can browse stations and stream radio. So im connected to Internet.

But my issue is... Im trying to use the Yamaha Android app to controll the reciever but it doesnt find It at all, what should i do?
post #2007 of 3482 Old 06-13-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbadboy View Post

Hi guys.

Ive connected my 673 to the internet using a netgear wireless extender. So there is a Cable between the extender and my reciever. Then the extender is connected to my router thru Wifi.

I can browse stations and stream radio. So im connected to Internet.

But my issue is... Im trying to use the Yamaha Android app to controll the reciever but it doesnt find It at all, what should i do?

Does the receiver show up in the list of connected devices on your router?

I had a lot of trouble getting this to work right at first. I was using the router/modem supplied by my ISP, and the receiver would show for a while, then disappear. I'd have turn Network Standby off on the AVR, power it down, and power it back on, which I assume re-registered it on the network. Then the phone app would see it. For a while.

Another trick is to set the IP address of the AVR in the app. I couldn't assign a static IP to the AVR from my ISP router, but it would generally keep/be assigned the same one.

I wasn't crazy about any of that, and I wanted to know if there was some problem with the receiver, so I bought a Netgear wireless router. I shut off the wifi on the ISP router, hard-wired the Netgear to it, and set up wireless from the Netgear. My AVR is wired to the Netgear. It's been on for a couple of months now and hasn't dropped out once. It's always there from the phone app, for DLNA from my phone, and for Airplay from my laptop, and net radio works.

It took some tinkering, but it's all good now. I hope you figure out your problems.
post #2008 of 3482 Old 06-13-2013, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

I have my PC connected to my receiver via HDMI. How come I am unable to use the PLxx DSPs? I am able to do it with my PS3.

I am trying to find a way to emulate 7.1 sound from 5.1 sound.

Any ideas?
post #2009 of 3482 Old 06-14-2013, 02:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #2010 of 3482 Old 06-14-2013, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Never heard of this line. What are the main differences between this and the RX-V series?

Does the A820 have digital out to zone 2?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page