The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 91 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2701 of 3511 Old 11-28-2013, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I already have an Onkyo TxNR-609 that I bought a couple years ago. Would this be a better unit and worth an upgrade?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 3511 Old 11-28-2013, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have an older Harman Kardon AVR-520, which is a tank. I wonder if I should consider upgrading to this?

Granted, the HK is *old* but it works great and sounds great. True, it doesn't have many of the newer features and no HDMI at all. But I'm using digital cables for sound and then going directly from the source to the HDTV for video.

HK receivers have a great high current design, as you may know, and handle difficult loads very well. They tend to be conservatively rated too.

What do you think? Stick with the 520, which works well, or upgrade to this?
post #2703 of 3511 Old 11-28-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 404
if you're happy with your HK then don't change yet. Yes you a missing are ton of new features but if the 520 still sounds great to you, no reason to change.

Afro GT
post #2704 of 3511 Old 11-28-2013, 01:35 PM

Is the Yamaha RX-V673 a considerable upgrade over the Sony STRDH520? Looks like a pretty good deal at Amazon right now for $300 and I can probably get $120-$150 for the Sony.

I'm pairing this with a Klipsch Reference / Icon setup.
KLIPSCH ICON KF-28 LEFT/RIGHT
KLIPSCH REFERECE RC-42 II CENTER
KLIPSCH REFERECE RW-12D SUBWOOFER
I don't have zone 2, but I plan on adding it in the near future. Plan on adding in-wall surrounds and some outdoor speakers for the deck.

post #2705 of 3511 Old 11-28-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I know nothing of AV Receiver. Should I buy this?

My HDTV has very subpar video scaling & lousy audio.
How comparable is the video scaling to a stand alone scaler?

Can I connect this AV to my PC/Monitor as well?

Can I hook my headphones to it & it will act as a high end amp?
post #2706 of 3511 Old 11-29-2013, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWIII View Post

Ok question of the day, do I lay down the bucks for this or jump on a RX-V671 while they last and are going cheap? MY RX-V665 is really getting dated and it's time to go 3D.

After starting this thread in April of 2012 I finally got this unit today from Amazon. Did I wait long enough? My 673 is still going strong. i will probably pass it down to my son.
post #2707 of 3511 Old 11-29-2013, 08:30 AM

I too bought this from Amazon yesterday. The question I have, is can the surround back/bi-amp be used as front highs?
post #2708 of 3511 Old 11-29-2013, 08:40 AM

There is a connection for front highs that's why I bought it, download manual
post #2709 of 3511 Old 11-29-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by flody1 View Post

I just got the RX_V673 A/V Receiver @ amazon $299 to go w/ VIZIO M601d-A3R 60-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Smart LED HDTV I ordered a couple days ago. Have Yamaha now , 12 + years , thought it time to get some Hdmi inputs. Have Sharp 12K projector. Looks like a good deal . Hope to learn from this thread.smile.gif
With 2700 posts youre bound to learn something. smile.gif
emileg likes this.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #2710 of 3511 Old 11-29-2013, 11:00 AM

If anyone has recommendations for speakers, I am looking to hear them.

I started a new post with all the details here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1502411/speakers-for-living-room-htpc-to-go-with-a-yamaha-rx-v673

Thanks!
post #2711 of 3511 Old 11-29-2013, 11:01 AM

Hi,

I also took advantage of Amazon's $299.95 deal yesterday, arriving Tues. Our Mitsu 62725 DLP died a week or so ago too, so our Samsung UN65F7100 arrives today, supposedly within the next 20 minutes of the 4-hour delivery window. cool.gif

This is a long thread and I skimmed a lot of it before ordering. I'll soon go back and reread it all, as well as the Samsung 7100 thread. But in the meantime, I do have some initial questions:

1. We don't have an ethernet wire in our family room and it's far too much effort to get one there (on a slab). So we've had an xbox wifi adapter working well for years, even though the router is upstairs in an office. With our son having the xbox at college, we currently have a PS3 hooked up to the xbox wifi adapter. With our old Mitsu TV not being smart, the PS3 was our way to access apps like Netflix, as well as serving as our DVD player.

Though the new Samsung tv has wifi of its own, we'd still like to be able to use the xbox and the PS3 for gaming over wifi. However, this new Yamaha V673 will also need a wifi adapter. It seems silly to buy 2 more wifi adapters (Netgear WNCE2001?). Does anyone have any experience with wifi ethernet hubs like this?

Would it be prudent to buy some sort of "amplifier" for such a wifi/ethernet hub, seeing there'd now be 3 devices sharing it, and our router is upstairs? Or wait and see if there are issues first?
    Are there performance or reliability issues?
    Are there better brands, models, deals?

FWIW, the Netgear WNCE2001 was $45.41 a day or two ago at Amazon, but today is now $29.99.
  2. A key requirement for us is being able to watch the tv without having to always turn on the receiver. From what I can tell, that should be possible with this tv/receiver via HDMI Standby Pass Through. Any problems with this not functioning as advertised?
  3. Can I just run one high-speed HDMI cable from the tv to the receiver or do I also need an optical cable to run the sound separately? (I thought I bumped into some issues with ARC?)
  4. We'll also have a Cox Cisco Explorer 8646HDC whole house DVR box connected (HDMI) to the V673. Any tips or issues we should know about?
  5. Silly question: any advantage to turning on the tv and using its wifi "AllShare" to stream music from iPhone/iPad vs. through the V673?
  6. The V673 has AirPlay and we have an iPad and some iPhones that we'd like to interact with the receiver and/or tv, if possible. We'd like to be able to stream music from our Apple devices or other music sources (Pandora?). A friend suggested we get an Apple TV instead of just a plain wifi adapter like the WNCE2001 (or a hub). I don't see what advantage that would offer (seeing our tv has smart apps)?
  7. Anyone use the AV Controller app? Is it free? Any good?
  8. Any other general tips that would help me set this up and optimize our experience with our components?

Thank you very much. What a wealth of knowledge this forum is!
post #2712 of 3511 Old 11-29-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSandman View Post

Hi,

1. We don't have an ethernet wire in our family room and it's far too much effort to get one there (on a slab). So we've had an xbox wifi adapter working well for years, even though the router is upstairs in an office. With our son having the xbox at college, we currently have a PS3 hooked up to the xbox wifi adapter. With our old Mitsu TV not being smart, the PS3 was our way to access apps like Netflix, as well as serving as our DVD player.

Though the new Samsung tv has wifi of its own, we'd still like to be able to use the xbox and the PS3 for gaming over wifi. However, this new Yamaha V673 will also need a wifi adapter. It seems silly to buy 2 more wifi adapters (Netgear WNCE2001?). Does anyone have any experience with wifi ethernet hubs like this?

Would it be prudent to buy some sort of "amplifier" for such a wifi/ethernet hub, seeing there'd now be 3 devices sharing it, and our router is upstairs? Or wait and see if there are issues first?
    Are there performance or reliability issues?
    Are there better brands, models, deals?

I bought a Poweline adapter (ZYXEL PLA4250KIT), which is currently on sale for $30 @ Newegg. Best investment I've had in a while. My HTPC, which is located in a corner, went from getting 0-1 bar wifi to a solid ethernet connection. My ping/download/upload speeds are about the same as the PC directly connected to the router.

The only downside to powerline that I've heard is possible interference if there are major appliances (washer/dryer/fridge) in the circuit line between your router and the destination. The newer 52xx line (AV2) is much better as far as interference, but it runs for $150 (currently on sale for $79.99)

post #2713 of 3511 Old 11-30-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm confused about audio and HDMI.

Can the RX-V673 input HDMI, send the HDMI on to a TV, but also take the audio portion and send it to speakers? Then I just turn the TV volume to 0.

Yes, I have read the manual, and no I don't understand it.
post #2714 of 3511 Old 11-30-2013, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Just jumped on this used for $233 from amazon. I figured it was worth the risk for only $233. Now on to the joy of reading a 2700+ post thread.
post #2715 of 3511 Old 11-30-2013, 08:00 PM

Having issues with airplay, not showing up on my iTunes or iphone. It is connected to my network and an I able to stream media from my NAS
post #2716 of 3511 Old 11-30-2013, 09:14 PM

Lax1085, I assume you are running IOS7. From the music app (not iTunes) you will see the airplay icon on the control center that you pull up from the bottom of your iPhone. Your receiver will be listed when you click on the icon.
post #2717 of 3511 Old 12-01-2013, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

I'm confused about audio and HDMI.

Can the RX-V673 input HDMI, send the HDMI on to a TV, but also take the audio portion and send it to speakers? Then I just turn the TV volume to 0.

Yes, I have read the manual, and no I don't understand it.

Yup, that's a big part of what AVRs are designed to do. You can probably just shut the TV speakers right off in your TV settings. You can also watch TV while you listen to internet radio or Airplay or some other audio source. I'm watching poker on TV and listening to internet radio right now. The manual isn't exactly the easiest read, but I encourage you to follow the setup steps--once you do it, it's a little more clear.
post #2718 of 3511 Old 12-01-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I just found out on TGB where I was going wrong. Turns out that WMC/TV/settings/audio needs "auto volume" unchecked to enable Dolby.
post #2719 of 3511 Old 12-01-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post

Yup, that's a big part of what AVRs are designed to do. You can probably just shut the TV speakers right off in your TV settings. You can also watch TV while you listen to internet radio or Airplay or some other audio source. I'm watching poker on TV and listening to internet radio right now. The manual isn't exactly the easiest read, but I encourage you to follow the setup steps--once you do it, it's a little more clear.

ThinkRationally, I just got the TSR-6750, slightly upgraded Costco model of this AVR. I came from an older Yamaha with no HMDI. While I love the new AVR I am missing the ability I had in my old set up to listen to music while watching sports. Your post suggests I can still do this. Can you explain how? Thanks
post #2720 of 3511 Old 12-01-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidsmart View Post

ThinkRationally, I just got the TSR-6750, slightly upgraded Costco model of this AVR. I came from an older Yamaha with no HMDI. While I love the new AVR I am missing the ability I had in my old set up to listen to music while watching sports. Your post suggests I can still do this. Can you explain how? Thanks

I know what you mean; I do that all the time. If you're listening to music through an audio input, like Airplay, Server (DLNA), internet radio, the off-air tuner, or satellite radio, go to Inputs in the on-screen menu, choose the audio input you want to listen to, and press the up arrow to get the options for that input. You should see a Video Out option--choose the input the video is coming in on. Once you set it, it stays. I have all these audio sources set to output the TV signal as video. I can watch sports or surf the guide to see if anything I want to watch is coming up.

I actually have the 773, but they are the same in this regard, and I'm guessing your 6750 is as well (is that the Costco model for the newer RX-V675?).
post #2721 of 3511 Old 12-01-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post

I know what you mean; I do that all the time. If you're listening to music through an audio input, like Airplay, Server (DLNA), internet radio, the off-air tuner, or satellite radio, go to Inputs in the on-screen menu, choose the audio input you want to listen to, and press the up arrow to get the options for that input. You should see a Video Out option--choose the input the video is coming in on. Once you set it, it stays. I have all these audio sources set to output the TV signal as video. I can watch sports or surf the guide to see if anything I want to watch is coming up. I actually have the 773, but they are the same in this regard, and I'm guessing your 6750 is as well (is that the Costco model for the newer RX-V675?).

It worked! I can't tell you how happy I am. I've been listening to music while watching sports since the 80's; I was afraid I would have to give that up. I wish I could buy you a drink (smile.) Yes it is the same as the 675 except it has the wireless adaptor.

You sound very knowledgeable. One more question: what level do you have your speakers set to? Thx
post #2722 of 3511 Old 12-01-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidsmart View Post

It worked! I can't tell you how happy I am. I've been listening to music while watching sports since the 80's; I was afraid I would have to give that up. I wish I could buy you a drink (smile.) Yes it is the same as the 675 except it has the wireless adaptor.

You sound very knowledgeable. One more question: what level do you have your speakers set to? Thx

I don't know how knowledgeable I am, but I'll have a drink and consider it as having come from you smile.gif

I ran YPAO and let it set the speaker levels. I don't have a sound meter or experience doing the setup manually. YPAO set them hovering at around 0, except for the right surround, which is much closer than the others, being set to -6. But this is only valid for my room and primary listening position.

One thing I didn't accept the YPAO setting for is the sub. If found that YPAO set it very low. Very likely I just like more bass than is found in most source material, but I have it adjusted +3 to +4 dB higher than YPAO set it. I turned my sub volume up to a point where YPAO set it to -4ish just to keep the AVR level around 0. I actually had it higher, but recently turned it down--it was muddying music a bit as high as I had it, and it's a lot tighter not running quite so hot. I'm not sure if you run a sub--just pointing this out, as a lot of people have found that YPAO sets the sub a little low.
post #2723 of 3511 Old 12-01-2013, 05:00 PM

i bought the Yamaha rx-v673 from amazon and will be getting it tomorrow, i already setup my Quintet speakers. anxiously waiting for the receiver to arrive so i can test the sound system, i will have a few question as this is my first home theater setup

now i am reading the guide online and it says if the tv is HDMI ARC compatible, i have no idea what that means, i have to check behind my tv (its a sony flat screen lcd 40 inch)

also if i just use HDMI cables to connect my playback devices i should not need the audio cables separately. HDMI should work for both video and audio(correct me if i am wrong)

anything else i should keep in mind before connecting the receiver?

any kind of help will be greatly appreciated.
thanks
post #2724 of 3511 Old 12-01-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoholic View Post

i bought the Yamaha rx-v673 from amazon and will be getting it tomorrow, i already setup my Quintet speakers. anxiously waiting for the receiver to arrive so i can test the sound system, i will have a few question as this is my first home theater setup

now i am reading the guide online and it says if the tv is HDMI ARC compatible, i have no idea what that means, i have to check behind my tv (its a sony flat screen lcd 40 inch)

also if i just use HDMI cables to connect my playback devices i should not need the audio cables separately. HDMI should work for both video and audio(correct me if i am wrong)

anything else i should keep in mind before connecting the receiver?

any kind of help will be greatly appreciated.
thanks

btw the tv is sony bravia KDL 40ex400

i am trying to find if it has the HDMI ARC, so far no luck
post #2725 of 3511 Old 12-01-2013, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 28
ARC is generally only found on Smart TVs that have apps such as netflix where the audio needs to be sent from the TV to the receiver for sound other than the onboard tv speakers.
You need to hook all of your audio/ video sources to your receiver via HDMI and the have the single HDMI cable feeding your TV.
post #2726 of 3511 Old 12-01-2013, 07:33 PM

thanks for the swift reply, so if my tv doesnt have ARC which i believe it doesnt have it, i will have to run audio optical cable from receiver and tv?
post #2727 of 3511 Old 12-01-2013, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

thanks for the swift reply, so if my tv doesnt have ARC which i believe it doesnt have it, i will have to run audio optical cable from receiver and tv?

I used to have one of these as a computer monitor, and I can verify that is does not have ARC. A Toslink cable run between it and your AVR will work just fine for both Dolby Digital and DTS sources from all of the TVs inputs.
post #2728 of 3511 Old 12-01-2013, 10:09 PM

thanks!!!

post #2729 of 3511 Old 12-02-2013, 03:27 AM
i2k

Quote:

If you want to hear content originating from your TV (if you plug in a USB stick with music on it into the TV for example) then yes you would need a cable to carry that audio from the TV to AVR. If however you just watch TV from a cable box - the cable box would be connected to the AVR via HDMI and the TV connected to the AVR (monitor out) via HDMI also.

i2k

Samsung LED 65" UN65FH6001F
Yamaha AV Receiver RX 673
Mission/Polk Audio speakers
post #2730 of 3511 Old 12-02-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2k View Post

If you want to hear content originating from your TV (if you plug in a USB stick with music on it into the TV for example) then yes you would need a cable to carry that audio from the TV to AVR. If however you just watch TV from a cable box - the cable box would be connected to the AVR via HDMI and the TV connected to the AVR (monitor out) via HDMI also.

that makes so much sense, i will be using my TV only for watching cable through cable box or movies so i am good. will update you guys once in get my receiver today and i install it:).
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V673 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page