The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 94 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2791 of 3471 Old 12-10-2013, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKSKYDANCER View Post

This is a response to member WADER2K question

According to Yamaha they recommend using the 7ch stereo program to output sound from all speakers.It doesn't matter if you have a 5.1 speaker set up. the unit mixes down the source to 2 channels, and then outputs equal sound from all 5 speakers. It's suppost to create a larger sound field. I have this Yamaha RX-V673 connected to the Energy take classic 5.1 speaker system and what i have experienced is it creates a full equal sound from all 5 speakers which also creates a higher db sound in the room. It does not create a 7.1 surround sound effect. I have owned this set up for about 6 weeks now and have been really doing alot of trial and error in setting up this receiver and speaker set up. When i first bought this combo i wasn't very happy with it for Music playback in any sound mode, but have now got it to sound pretty darn good. Movies have always sounded great right from the start. I also tried the Polk TL250's set with a Polk PSW111 sub with this receiver but had problems with one of the Polk TL250 satellites so i didn't get to play with it much with that speaker set up. I think i will try the KEF KHT2005.3 system or Orb's peoples choice next.

A bit late to the thread here but just found it. Im looking for a definitive answer on the correct cable to connect the Yamaha 673 to the Energy Take 5.1 sub. Im using a single RCA cable from sub 1 to a Y splitter to the L & R (red & white) RCA jacks on the sub, is this correct ?

I read somewhere that only one RCA is needed to the left RCA on the sub ? ..... Confused !

While I am at it, what are the best settings for 5.1 surround with movies ? STRAIGHT seems to give me the best result ?

Thanks, Buster.

HTPC. Yamaha RX-V673 AVR. Yamaha BD-S 673 BR/DVD. Energy Take Classis 5.1. Ben-Q W1070 Projector. 100" Screen. Four Lazy Boyz.    One serving wench.  Lap dancing facilities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 3471 Old 12-10-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 821
One of the L&R on the sub should be marked LFE. Its probably not hurting anything to use the splitter but the generally accepted method is to get rid of the splitter and use only that input.
I generally use Standard for movies.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #2793 of 3471 Old 12-10-2013, 03:08 PM

A single RCA cable to the Left line in/sub in is all that is needed with a 5.1 or 7.1 AV receiver with a sub out connection.  Energy recommends connecting both left and right if using a std stereo receiver. I think this is explained on page 3 number 6 in the Energy owners manual that comes with the speakers if you still have it. I had the sub crossover set at 120 khz in the receiver when I had these speakers and receiver.

Living room;  Samsung UN55F7100 3D LED, Marantz SR5008, Oppo BDP-103, Cambridge Audio Minx S325-v2 5.1, Comcast DVR HD box.

Garage;         Sherwood RX-4105 2 channel stereo receiver, Samsung DVD-C500 CD player, Klipsch KG 2.5 med oak speakers

post #2794 of 3471 Old 12-10-2013, 06:56 PM

I just got the 673 from Amazon for $299.  It replaced an RX-V1400.  The problem I am having is that on certain tv shows, like the Daily show, etc, the sound quality isn't near as good as it was on my 1400.  It seems to use the center channel for most of the audio while my large fronts and rear surrounds are barely being used. 

I have tried changing the configuration around and nothing seems to help.  Using the daily show again as an example, before when there would be laughter or applause it would be played on the fronts and rear surrounds saving the center for the conversation.  With the new receiver, almost everything comes out the center, making it almost muffled sounding.  I have run the YPAO several times with no difference.  I have tried all the different programs but I always used just the standard dolby program before. 

I know it's difficult to answer without seeing (or hearing rather) but any help you could provide would be appreciated.  Thanks!

post #2795 of 3471 Old 12-10-2013, 09:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Have you tried Straight mode? Does it sound that way on all sources? All channels? Even bluray? What did you change under Configuration?

post #2796 of 3471 Old 12-10-2013, 10:04 PM

I've tried straight mode.  It seems to be the same to some degree on every source.  It mainly seems like the problem is when the source is stereo.  When it's getting a 5.1 source, it decodes it fine.  When it's a 2.0 source, it is really center focused. 

I mainly changed around the basic setup.  Speaker size, level etc.

post #2797 of 3471 Old 12-10-2013, 10:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

2.0 wont sound as good. Standard mode is best with 2.0 movies imo.

post #2798 of 3471 Old 12-11-2013, 01:14 PM

Liked: 11
I've pretty much read/search this entire thread and the internet but haven't found an answer to this, hoping you all an help.

I have a HTPC connected to the receiver, which then outputs to the TV. When the TV is directly connected to the HTPC, windows is able to turn off the TV by disabling the signal through the power saving scheme. Now that the signal is going through the receiver, the TV never shuts off because the yamaha is outputting the dumb piana screensaver/wallpaper. How can i disable this, or work around this functionality to restore the TV shutting off when the HTPC is inactive?

Thanks in advance!
i2k likes this.
post #2799 of 3471 Old 12-11-2013, 01:57 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabkata View Post

People, how much you set the sub(mine is +2db). The YPAO, is setting in the -7db, but i think is too little rolleyes.gif

I'm driving Orb Audio satellites and subwoofer with this device and it set my sub level too low as well, so low in fact that I thought my new sub was broken. I tried a Yamaha HRT-4065 before the RX-V673 and it must have done the same thing as I had no sub with that setup either. I"m still playing with the sub level in the system and the actual volume level (physical knob) on the receiver. While I found a perfect sweet spot with a 5.1 surround sound movie over the weekend, I'm finding that I'm still tweaking it based on the content that I'm playing.

Right now I have the level set to +2.0db and my volume set at about 40%.

Just out of curiosity, where do you have your volume on the sub set?
post #2800 of 3471 Old 12-11-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I have the 650. Did you get it figured out?

Thanks Bond, but no, I didn't get it figured out. The setup went much worse for the 663 than it did when I set it up for the HTR-4065. I'm trying to control a Samsung TV, Samsung Blu-ray, Roku, and Mac mini computer. --I know the computer control will be an involved set up so I'm not even attempting to set it up right now.

When I set up the HTR-4065, the software asked me when HDMI input the devices were connected to. But this time when setting up the 663, it never mentioned HDMI inputs.

I was initially stumped trying to set up "digital music" and "music." The software asked:  What input or channel des your Yamaha AV Receiver-Room 1 need to be on?

It asked me this question for listening to digital music, listening to music, watching my videos
--only choices are:
Tuner, XM, Sirius, V-AUX/DOCK, DTV/CBL, CD, MD/CD-R, DVD, DVR, VCR, PHONO, MULTI CH IN
--I added "NET" and "Airplay" but the software does nothing with them.

I want to remap the "Watch TV" button to watch my Roku, but there does't appear to be a way to do it as it asks:  "To watch TV, what device do you use to change channels?" The only two choices are:  "I used my Samsung TV to change channels," and "I use my Apple Media Center PC to change chanels."

--I chose MULTI CH IN but I'm sure this isn't right.

I'm also curious about something else. I think what got the Harmony out of sync before was when I streamed audio via Airplay from my computer. Simply selecting the Yamaha RX-V663 on the computer switches the receiver to Airplay. After doing this with the other receiver, I could no longer control the Roku.

Any thoughts?

post #2801 of 3471 Old 12-11-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Geek Girl,
I dont know what to say. Sounds like youve got a mess. Maybe try starting over.

post #2802 of 3471 Old 12-11-2013, 04:24 PM
i2k

I would definitely start over in the harmony software .. Delete the device for the AVR and re add it - it should have the hdmi inputs as options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i2k

Samsung LED 65" UN65FH6001F
Yamaha AV Receiver RX 673
Mission/Polk Audio speakers
post #2803 of 3471 Old 12-11-2013, 06:23 PM

need some help guys. I'm getting this high pitched shrill noise from my speakers. I have my direct tv connected to the 673, then the 673 outputs to my tv. The noise is on the surrounds when I'm using 5.1. If I force it to 2 channel, the noise goes to the fronts. Now here's the weird part, if I turn off the AV to get the direct tv box to pass through to the tv speakers, I get the noise on there as well.

this didn't happen before when I have my direct tv connected directly to the AV. I found out about this noise when I first got the 673 last week. Then I fixed some things in the settings and it went away. And today for some reason it just went back again.

Also, not sure if related or a different issue all together. I had my direct tv setup to decode using the NEO:6 decoder. That was working fine before. When the noise started today, I noticed that when I use the surround decoder, it doesn't let me select the decoder type anymore. It's just locked in to pro logic. thoughts?

thanks
post #2804 of 3471 Old 12-11-2013, 08:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Sounds like a problem with your cable box. Do you get the shrill with any other source? Pandora, bluray, etc?
So when you hit surround decoder repeatedly it does not change the type of decoder? Its just stuck on prologic? Change the output of the stb to HDMI or Dolby Digital and see what happens. I see no reason to have it on Neo6 anyway.

post #2805 of 3471 Old 12-12-2013, 04:56 AM

Quote:

Sounds like a problem with your cable box. Do you get the shrill with any other source? Pandora, bluray, etc?
So when you hit surround decoder repeatedly it does not change the type of decoder? Its just stuck on prologic? Change the output of the stb to HDMI or Dolby Digital and see what happens. I see no reason to have it on Neo6 anyway.

yeah I was thinking it's some bad settings on the cable box, but it actually works ok back when I had it connected directly to the tv. I just found out as well if I set the cable box to output in Dolby that it causes the av to disable the decoder type. If I change the cable box to output in PCM it then allows me to change the decoder type in the av.

when the av is turned off, does it pass through 100% from the cable box to the tv? or does it go through some circuitry or something? if it's 100% pass through, I'm thinking the only difference between having the av in between and directly connecting the cable box to the tv is the extra hdmi cable in between. maybe I just have a bad hdmi cable in there, I'll check this out as well when I get home tonight.

thanks
post #2806 of 3471 Old 12-12-2013, 05:13 AM

Quote:

Once again, you can work wonders with the Parametric EQ if you learn how to use it.
Good Morning Bond 007! I really want to learn how to use the Parametric EQ but I don't know where to begin. Where can a novice find information that will make sense and not feel too overwhelming?
post #2807 of 3471 Old 12-12-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeky Girl View Post

Quote:

People, how much you set the sub(mine is +2db). The YPAO, is setting in the -7db, but i think is too little rolleyes.gif

I'm driving Orb Audio satellites and subwoofer with this device and it set my sub level too low as well, so low in fact that I thought my new sub was broken. I tried a Yamaha HRT-4065 before the RX-V673 and it must have done the same thing as I had no sub with that setup either. I"m still playing with the sub level in the system and the actual volume level (physical knob) on the receiver. While I found a perfect sweet spot with a 5.1 surround sound movie over the weekend, I'm finding that I'm still tweaking it based on the content that I'm playing.

Right now I have the level set to +2.0db and my volume set at about 40%.

Just out of curiosity, where do you have your volume on the sub set?

Sub is set in the middle of volume. And then i make the calibration.
post #2808 of 3471 Old 12-12-2013, 07:06 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:

Sub is set in the middle of volume. And then i make the calibration.

I do that too on my pro sub 800 because the manual told me too.  I have yet to run YPAO though as I still have my rears unhooked until I find speaker stands for my quintet IV's. 

post #2809 of 3471 Old 12-12-2013, 07:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmovies View Post

yeah I was thinking it's some bad settings on the cable box, but it actually works ok back when I had it connected directly to the tv. I just found out as well if I set the cable box to output in Dolby that it causes the av to disable the decoder type. If I change the cable box to output in PCM it then allows me to change the decoder type in the av.

when the av is turned off, does it pass through 100% from the cable box to the tv? or does it go through some circuitry or something? if it's 100% pass through, I'm thinking the only difference between having the av in between and directly connecting the cable box to the tv is the extra hdmi cable in between. maybe I just have a bad hdmi cable in there, I'll check this out as well when I get home tonight.

thanks
The cable is a good idea but unlikely. I dont think the 673 does any processing on passthrough but the signal is going through switches so who knows what exactly is being done.

post #2810 of 3471 Old 12-12-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockman4357 View Post

Good Morning Bond 007! I really want to learn how to use the Parametric EQ but I don't know where to begin. Where can a novice find information that will make sense and not feel too overwhelming?
I dont know of any Parametric EQ 101 link. You can copy Flat to Manual and play with it all you want. That way if you get it sounding terrible beyond hope you can just recopy Flat to Manual again and start over. You cant hurt anything.

post #2811 of 3471 Old 12-12-2013, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

is there a game mode? I know there is a game dolby pro logic, I wonder if it is making an impact on my gaming. It seems like there may be some lag for me.
post #2812 of 3471 Old 12-12-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post

is there a game mode? I know there is a game dolby pro logic, I wonder if it is making an impact on my gaming. It seems like there may be some lag for me.
No game mode. Straight probably has the least processing. Or, of course, Pure Direct.
kwaidonjin likes this.

post #2813 of 3471 Old 12-12-2013, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No game mode. Straight probably has the least processing. Or, of course, Pure Direct.

I tried those and I lose surround.
post #2814 of 3471 Old 12-12-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Then the game is 2.0.

post #2815 of 3471 Old 12-12-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:

If the source is 5.1 then you should still have surround sound in Straight or Pure Direct.

I never measured audio lag on the 673 but on my RX-V1800 it's around 40ms in all modes except Pure Direct. So only Pure Direct significantly reduces latency.

To minimize lag make sure you select manual lipsync and set the delay to 0ms. Don't rely on auto lipsync.
jabkata likes this.
post #2816 of 3471 Old 12-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

It's battlefield 4, that should be in hight than 2.0
post #2817 of 3471 Old 12-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Maybe I don't have the audio from the game set correctly
post #2818 of 3471 Old 12-12-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Maybe I don't have the audio from the game set correctly
Very likely

post #2819 of 3471 Old 12-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

This is on the pc
post #2820 of 3471 Old 12-12-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:

Good deal. You can leave the sub alone now and bump up the sub volume in the 673 if desired. Is the sub xover in the 673 set at 80?

Is it important for the sub level to be in alignment with the other speakers or can YPAO be trusted. When I run YPAO my sub level results in +.5 db but the fronts, center, and surrounds vary from that. How close should they all be? If they are not all nearly the same, do I need to tweak the YPAO settings? FYI, I have set my sub xover to 80 Hz and changed all my speakers to small even though YPAO has my fronts and surrounds listed as large with my center listed at small.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page