The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Receivers, Amps, and Processors > The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR

Receivers, Amps, and Processors

WWIII's Avatar WWIII
01:36 PM Liked: 13
post #1 of 3562
04-30-2012 | Posts: 104
Joined: Jan 2009
here is the link from Yamaha.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...NYVFxy1iNToF5w

Nice new features. Of course it's $650.00 retail.

let the fun begin!
WWIII's Avatar WWIII
01:42 PM Liked: 13
post #2 of 3562
04-30-2012 | Posts: 104
Joined: Jan 2009
Ok question of the day, do I lay down the bucks for this or jump on a RX-V671 while they last and are going cheap? MY RX-V665 is really getting dated and it's time to go 3D.
WWIII's Avatar WWIII
08:44 AM Liked: 13
post #3 of 3562
05-01-2012 | Posts: 104
Joined: Jan 2009
here are some images
LL
LL
afrogt's Avatar afrogt
08:59 AM Liked: 429
post #4 of 3562
05-01-2012 | Posts: 23,519
Joined: Jul 2003
Looks like it adds Airplay and 4K video scaler. But what's up with the cheap spring clips on the back?

Do you need those new features? If not, the RX-V671 is a much better buy.
olo567's Avatar olo567
08:22 PM Liked: 10
post #5 of 3562
05-01-2012 | Posts: 69
Joined: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Looks like it adds Airplay and 4K video scaler. But what's up with the cheap spring clips on the back?

Do you need those new features? If not, the RX-V671 is a much better buy.

v671 has spring clips for Zone 2 as well, I believe. I don't like that they removed the front RCA audio jacks. I don't know how often I'd use them anymore, but it just seems like an odd move.
OldSchoolMETAL's Avatar OldSchoolMETAL
01:26 AM Liked: 12
post #6 of 3562
05-02-2012 | Posts: 404
Joined: Nov 2011
Good luck on finding a RX-V671 for cheap. My dealer ran them for $340 and now they're gone so I went with a Denon AVR-2312Ci. My RX-A710 was defective out of the box. New A710 would not ship for weeks. I don't trust they'll ever ship. Took advantage of cheap price on the AVR-2312Ci. New RX-V673 has every thing that everyone complaining about lacking in the RX-V671. For this class of receiver, that's great.
Akuma1970's Avatar Akuma1970
03:36 AM Liked: 10
post #7 of 3562
05-02-2012 | Posts: 37
Joined: Apr 2011
Anyone already knows what the difference is between the 773 and this one? Wondering if it's worth the 100 bucks price difference...

EDIT: i found a comparison on the USA website from Yamaha, but it seems there's a 200 bucks pricegap. And i'm a noob when it comes to these things, but i cannot seem to find a BIG difference between the 2 machines? Atleast nothing that could explain the pricegap?
olo567's Avatar olo567
06:37 AM Liked: 10
post #8 of 3562
05-02-2012 | Posts: 69
Joined: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma1970 View Post

Anyone already knows what the difference is between the 773 and this one? Wondering if it's worth the 100 bucks price difference...

EDIT: i found a comparison on the USA website from Yamaha, but it seems there's a 200 bucks pricegap. And i'm a noob when it comes to these things, but i cannot seem to find a BIG difference between the 2 machines? Atleast nothing that could explain the pricegap?

773 has a wifi adapter, extra HDMI out, and analog pre-outs.
Kini62's Avatar Kini62
03:01 PM Liked: 455
post #9 of 3562
05-02-2012 | Posts: 3,447
Joined: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by olo567 View Post

773 has a wifi adapter, extra HDMI out, and analog pre-outs.

And multi-point room correction YPAO.
OldSchoolMETAL's Avatar OldSchoolMETAL
05:21 PM Liked: 12
post #10 of 3562
05-02-2012 | Posts: 404
Joined: Nov 2011
BTW, if you look at the wireless adapter Yamaha is offering, it's basically the same thing as a WiFi game bridge that you can buy for under $100. Many places sell them for Bluray players that only have an ethernet and those are usually between $40 and $60 so don't think this is a must. However for the price, that includes the wireless bridge, the Yamaha RX-V773WA is a pretty decent buy.
Akuma1970's Avatar Akuma1970
08:24 AM Liked: 10
post #11 of 3562
05-03-2012 | Posts: 37
Joined: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMETAL View Post

BTW, if you look at the wireless adapter Yamaha is offering, it's basically the same thing as a WiFi game bridge that you can buy for under $100. Many places sell them for Bluray players that only have an ethernet and those are usually between $40 and $60 so don't think this is a must. However for the price, that includes the wireless bridge, the Yamaha RX-V773WA is a pretty decent buy.

Is the 673 a decent buy to be "future" proof, or are there other easy-to-use AVR that are in the same pricerange, but are more future-proof? Where do you need to pay attention to for that matter?
samualcc's Avatar samualcc
10:56 AM Liked: 10
post #12 of 3562
05-03-2012 | Posts: 2
Joined: May 2005
Really wondering if anyone sees an advantage to the V673 over the V473 if I don't need 7.2 support. My current setup is a 5.1 and I don't see myself changing it any time soon and the V473 seems to have enough HDMIs for me.

Otherwise, I am having a hard time detecting major differences.
Kini62's Avatar Kini62
03:24 PM Liked: 455
post #13 of 3562
05-03-2012 | Posts: 3,447
Joined: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by samualcc View Post

Really wondering if anyone sees an advantage to the V673 over the V473 if I don't need 7.2 support. My current setup is a 5.1 and I don't see myself changing it any time soon and the V473 seems to have enough HDMIs for me.

Otherwise, I am having a hard time detecting major differences.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio..._&mode=compare
sm00thArsenal's Avatar sm00thArsenal
06:00 AM Liked: 10
post #14 of 3562
05-05-2012 | Posts: 1
Joined: Sep 2011
From the Other Notable Advanced Features section, can anyone confirm that Audio input assign capability for HDMI and component video input means that i can assign one of the optical or coaxial audio inputs to one of the hdmi inputs?

I ask because i have a macmini media centre that would require such a setup (Late 2009 model has mini-displayport out, but video only).
olo567's Avatar olo567
06:37 AM Liked: 10
post #15 of 3562
05-06-2012 | Posts: 69
Joined: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm00thArsenal View Post

From the Other Notable Advanced Features section, can anyone confirm that Audio input assign capability for HDMI and component video input means that i can assign one of the optical or coaxial audio inputs to one of the hdmi inputs?

I ask because i have a macmini media centre that would require such a setup (Late 2009 model has mini-displayport out, but video only).

Exactly. Same feature exists in current model, so that would work fine.
marax's Avatar marax
12:21 AM Liked: 10
post #16 of 3562
05-07-2012 | Posts: 16
Joined: Mar 2008
I've never owned an AV receiver so I have one question for you guys: how quick this receiver (or 671, I suppose is the same) switch from HDMI input source ? Is it instantly or is it a some delay ? Because when I switch HDMI input directly on my Pioneer Kuro for example from HDMI 1 to HDMI 3 it takes pretty long delay, about 3-4 seconds until an actual video appears.
eRod v1.0's Avatar eRod v1.0
06:26 PM Liked: 10
post #17 of 3562
05-14-2012 | Posts: 28
Joined: Nov 2007
I am looking for a good receiver for my home theater set up. I was debating between the Onkyo TX-NR609 or the Denon AVR-2112CI. I have a site that has this Yamaha 673 for $499. Is this a good upgrade over the other two?
marine0816's Avatar marine0816
07:23 PM Liked: 10
post #18 of 3562
05-14-2012 | Posts: 6
Joined: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRod v1.0 View Post

I am looking for a good receiver for my home theater set up. I was debating between the Onkyo TX-NR609 or the Denon AVR-2112CI. I have a site that has this Yamaha 673 for $499. Is this a good upgrade over the other two?

What site is that? Cause sites are saying they have it in stock but they don't
marine0816's Avatar marine0816
07:28 PM Liked: 10
post #19 of 3562
05-14-2012 | Posts: 6
Joined: Apr 2012
I was going to get the 671 for the low price on Amazon. But the airplay and the future proof of 4k HD,, and they said it should come out mid May, so I'm waiting patiently for the release.
eRod v1.0's Avatar eRod v1.0
06:49 AM Liked: 10
post #20 of 3562
05-15-2012 | Posts: 28
Joined: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine0816 View Post

What site is that? Cause sites are saying they have it in stock but they don't

AAFES, the military exchange store. I called and they have a few in stock.
TsunamiMike's Avatar TsunamiMike
07:58 AM Liked: 12
post #21 of 3562
05-15-2012 | Posts: 41
Joined: May 2012
i dont show anyone has these in stock, amazon, crutchfield, etc.... Any idea when this will be in stock anywhere?

what is a military exchange store? My wife works for the gov't and has access to some military only facility store in town...
IA_Hi_Fi_Guy's Avatar IA_Hi_Fi_Guy
08:52 AM Liked: 10
post #22 of 3562
05-15-2012 | Posts: 159
Joined: Apr 2005
Adding Airplay is great but it looks like they dropped all other streaming services like Pandora.
Krutsch's Avatar Krutsch
09:23 AM Liked: 36
post #23 of 3562
05-15-2012 | Posts: 403
Joined: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by IA_Hi_Fi_Guy View Post

Adding Airplay is great but it looks like they dropped all other streaming services like Pandora.

Whoa... I did not notice that, until you mentioned that... I think I will put the 671 back on my wish list. I am wobbling between the 671 and the 673 for my next AVR.
marine0816's Avatar marine0816
03:09 PM Liked: 10
post #24 of 3562
05-15-2012 | Posts: 6
Joined: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

Whoa... I did not notice that, until you mentioned that... I think I will put the 671 back on my wish list. I am wobbling between the 671 and the 673 for my next AVR.

You can AirPlay pandora through your iPhone so it defeats the purpose of having a stand alone. AirPlay is the cure all.
Krutsch's Avatar Krutsch
07:35 PM Liked: 36
post #25 of 3562
05-15-2012 | Posts: 403
Joined: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine0816 View Post

You can AirPlay pandora through your iPhone so it defeats the purpose of having a stand alone. AirPlay is the cure all.

True... but I have Pandora playing in the background a lot of the time... not really practical from a battery / convenience standpoint. Of course, my Sony BD player does this, as well, so either way it's OK.

As for Airplay, I have an Apple TV, so I'm not sure I care about that feature, all that much, except that I am hopeful I can avoid the severe jitter problem with Apple TV's optical output (or HDMI, for that matter) and stream music right into the AVR.

I think either AVR would be really great to have.
marine0816's Avatar marine0816
09:51 AM Liked: 10
post #26 of 3562
05-17-2012 | Posts: 6
Joined: Apr 2012
Now its saying available in June..
gleapman's Avatar gleapman
09:44 PM Liked: 10
post #27 of 3562
05-28-2012 | Posts: 28
Joined: Jul 2006
Thinking of getting the 673 to replace my 6-year-old Sonos system and RX-v663. I keep both of my Sonos components (a Connect connected to my v663 and a Connect Amp connected to a speaker controller driving 4 pairs of speakers) in the basement entertainment center since I have all the speaker wires from around the house going there. But I also keep the Sonos controller on our nightstand and use it as our alarm clock. Anyone know if the Yamaha AV Controller includes an alarm clock function to allow for setting the 673 to start playing music at a set time (thru Zone 2), and, if it does, is there a snooze feature? If it does all of that, I can us the Touch (currently used as a second Sonos controller) as an alarm clock by our bed. (I realize having to unlock the Touch when the alarm goes off would complicate things.)
marine0816's Avatar marine0816
02:24 PM Liked: 10
post #28 of 3562
06-04-2012 | Posts: 6
Joined: Apr 2012
Could not wait on the Yamaha so i picked up a denon 2312.. Having the Napster, Pandora, built in is a big luxury.. i would not compromise... I'm glad I didn't wait and go for the 673.. Denon for the WIN
Guindalf's Avatar Guindalf
07:06 AM Liked: 12
post #29 of 3562
06-18-2012 | Posts: 97
Joined: Jun 2001
I brought home a 673 on Saturday.

Let the party begin!!!
kungfugrip12's Avatar kungfugrip12
07:51 AM Liked: 10
post #30 of 3562
06-18-2012 | Posts: 32
Joined: Dec 2006
REALLY??? They're finally out??? Where did you purchase? Did you get a good price? I am SO ready for the 673!!!!
Tags: Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver

Gear in this thread - V673 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3