AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post

List Price: $2,999.00
Price: $1,999.95 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Ouch....

You missed the boat on the 7550HD. Roughly six months ago, it was on closeout for $800.

The pricing life cycle is interesting. Prices decline until they hit rock bottom at closeout, then spike back up after closeout, as supply nears zero and profiteers try to flip the remaining stock.

AJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 05-01-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

There's no question that discrete multi-channel has the potential advantage over matrixed surround, but in actual use some mixes may not be making full use of those advantages. As others have mentioned, dialogue can be copied to all front channels, there could be very little surround activity, the mix could sound like 5 mono pools of sound instead of a cohesive ring around the listener with imaging between speakers, etc.

In those instances, downmixing the discrete multi-channel mix to stereo and then extracting back the centre and surround channels can have advantages. Since no matrix extraction is perfect, small amounts of leakage between channels can cause the soundstage to appear more blended with noticeable phantom imaging between speakers, while a little bit of leakage into the surrounds can yield greater envelopment.

It's a situation where minor flaws of an older technology sound preferable to sub-optimal use of newer technology. Well, "sound preferable" to some people. I've seen examples of this with warm, lush tube amps vs cold, analytical-sounding solid state amps. In this particular case it is matrix surround vs discrete multi-channel, where the former has the added advantage of using the same matrix encoder (Logic7) for downmixing as it uses as the matrix decoder (Logic7) when extracting the centre and surround content.

Keep in mind..
That for the HK products with the more powerful TI DSPs (DA710 x 2), its Logic 7 actually can take a 5.1 DTS Master Audio or Dolby True Audio native stream and post-process with Logic 7. Here Logic 7 is applying some unique filtering and steering, I won't say the end-result is better or worse....
But many, many listeners prefer this DSP post-processing mode.

Note that we have known Dr. David Griesinger (inventor of Logic 7) for many, many years and have been truly impressed with his creativity and sonic performances.

Just my $0.02...
post #33 of 43 Old 05-01-2012, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Keep in mind..
That for the HK products with the more powerful TI DSPs (DA710 x 2), its Logic 7 actually can take a 5.1 DTS Master Audio or Dolby True Audio native stream and post-process with Logic 7. Here Logic 7 is applying some unique filtering and steering, I won't say the end-result is better or worse....
But many, many listeners prefer this DSP post-processing mode.

Note that we have known Dr. David Griesinger (inventor of Logic 7) for many, many years and have been truly impressed with his creativity and sonic performances.

Just my $0.02...

Kudos to Dr. Griesinger for such fantastic work!
post #34 of 43 Old 05-03-2012, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post

You missed the boat on the 7550HD. Roughly six months ago, it was on closeout for $800.

The pricing life cycle is interesting. Prices decline until they hit rock bottom at closeout, then spike back up after closeout, as supply nears zero and profiteers try to flip the remaining stock.

AJ

I sure did....but I just picked up the AVR3600 which has support for the Logic7 for Stereo or multichannel input.

Now my 4 month old AVR 2600 goes on sale...any takers ?
post #35 of 43 Old 05-04-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I also miss Logic 7; I had a Lex DC1 and later HK635 and these were the only times my back surround channels have been worthwhile, including with the handful of 7.1 ch soundtracks I've heard.

Noah
post #36 of 43 Old 05-04-2012, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yup...the Logic7 does create a very nice ambiance and utilizes all 7 speakers very well.
I am looking forward to my AVR-3600 to arrive early next week.
post #37 of 43 Old 06-09-2013, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm really like how Logic7 make 5 or 7 ch from streo. Now, I'm building, home cinema based on HTPC and would like find some AV processor with Logic7 but my system will be full in digital domain (even speakers will be active AES/EBU monitors). As I see on Harman KArdon site the receivers don't have AES/EBU inputps/outputs. Is there are some devices that can work with digital sound AES/EBU and have Logic7 processor?
Or may be ther are some DSP plugin for PC like Logic 7?
post #38 of 43 Old 06-10-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 137
No; I don't believe Logic 7 has ever been used in pro audio or cinema, where AES/EBU is used.

Noah
post #39 of 43 Old 06-10-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post

You got that Right Sanjay & Steve. Uninspired, lazy, pushing to get work done TV serial recordings are an awful use of the latest DD. I am glad I purchased the HK with Logic7 that saves the day. By the way, the down-mixing is done by the Samsung Plasma TV. It can accept DD as input but output to AVR is 2 channel PCM @ 48khz. Just because of that I did not use it and instead routed the audio signal directly from the Direct-tv receiver to the HK. Using it that way and watching TV shows such as "The Voice" was a horrible experience and only because I was tired of the poor audio reproduction that I chanced upon the use of my TV in this manner---as a downmixer so that the AVR can remix to Logic7.

Why not turn DD off in your DirecTV receiver? That way you can run an HDMI to your receiver from the DTV receiver and let it do all of the downmixing. and by the way, I agree with your assessment of DTV's DD 5.1 implementation on some channels. PLII Movie does sound better watching The Voice for example..........Just turn off DD in the DTV receiver.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #40 of 43 Old 06-10-2013, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I eventually did do that. At that time I did not .
post #41 of 43 Old 06-18-2013, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I also like Logic 7 Movie better on all channels compared to the somewhat weak DD 5.1 on DirecTV. Thanks for the heads up, I doubt I would have ever turned DD off in my DTV receiver. smile.gif

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #42 of 43 Old 06-19-2013, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
What chipset does the 2700 use?
post #43 of 43 Old 06-19-2013, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 112