Pioneer Elite vs Yamaha Aventage - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-01-2012, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Pioneer receiver I have been happy with, although I want to upgrade for 3d due to a new tv I bought..

I have just about made up my mind, can I have some opinions on which is a better receiver at $1000, VSX52/53 vs Yamaha Aventage rx1000?

Which bas the best video? Which has more open, faithful reproduction without coloring?

Main concern need to pass 1080p and 3D from an Oppo player to a 5.1 AVR. Speakers are not great enough to split hairs on sound.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-01-2012, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by aika View Post

I have a Pioneer receiver I have been happy with, although I want to upgrade for 3d due to a new tv I bought..

I have just about made up my mind, can I have some opinions on which is a better receiver at $1000, VSX52/53 vs Yamaha Aventage rx1000?

Which bas the best video? Which has more open, faithful reproduction without coloring?

Main concern need to pass 1080p and 3D from an Oppo player to a 5.1 AVR. Speakers are not great enough to split hairs on sound.

Thank you.

Well for video processing, you're going to need to step up to the 2000/2010 within the aventage line. For basic video pass thru, both receivers are fine when it come to colors.

It boils down to the features you want. Both are great avr's. The pioneer uses class d amps which I find perfectly fine sq wise. Yamaha does have he radio if that matters and a few more hdmi ports.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-02-2012, 12:32 AM
Advanced Member

Unless your TV has horrible upconversion, I don't see the need for an AVR to process video. Most modern TV's are pretty good at video. I certainly didn't shop AVR's with that in mind.
post #4 of 12 Old 05-02-2012, 04:32 AM

Liked: 93
I'm going to vote neither. Both the Pioneer and Yamaha room correction routines are ancient and produce extremely poor results compared to an Audyssey MultEQ variant of some sort. With your "not great enough" speakers, you'll likely result in far nicer sound out of them with good auto-calibration/room correction.

Software makes even mediocre speakers sound fantastic these days. Give your speakers that software. As a starting point, go look at the Denon AVR1912 and up.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-02-2012, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I agree that video processing will be handled by your new TV. Most people don't realize this, but TV's can only display in one mode. 1080p is what almost every TV shows. It can handle different inputs (1080i, 720p, 480, ...), but the signal has to be coverted to the native mode of the TV before the TV can display it, so every TV has to be able to upconvert all signals..

As far as which receiver is better. You probably won't notice much differece between the 2. As someone else stated, you might want to look at a receiver that has audyssey since most seem to think it's superior to mcacc and ypao.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-02-2012, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

As far as which receiver is better. You probably won't notice much differece between the 2. As someone else stated, you might want to look at a receiver that has audyssey since most seem to think it's superior to mcacc and ypao.

For what's it worth, I went from an Onkyo 3007 (Audyssey MultEQ XT) to an Aventage 3010 (YPAO with speakers angle measurement) and I found the latter to produce much more satisfying and convincing sound from my Dynaudio speakers.

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
post #7 of 12 Old 05-02-2012, 07:49 AM

Liked: 93
...And I just went from YPAO on my RXV2500 to vanilla MultEQ on my NR1602, now convinced that Audyssey is brilliant in comparison to either of the other two options in discussion here. Being able to EQ the sub channel, the channel with the biggest problems in most people's rooms, is an enormous advantage.

Believe me, my RXV2500 was a fantastic receiver and I would have loved to pick up another Yamaha. They are still rolling some serious 2005 technology though when it comes to room correction.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-02-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe audyssey is far superior ypao as well. Problem is, it's hard to swallow spending big $ on a flagship avr and realizing you made a mistake months afterwards. I'm looking at moving to a demon 4311 if the 2013 replacement cuts out legacy analog connections. Aventages are nice receivers aside from room correction.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-02-2012, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Edit: Thank you all, have decided to postpone my buy and try hdmi to tv and audio to the AVR for 3D bluray play.

Thank you all for the responses, although after re-reading my original thread, it may have come across a little confusing..

I run Xbox, cable (1080I), and Oppo bluray through my Yamaha, not Pioneer AVR. I have Elemental Designs bookshelfs, which I like a lot and are pretty good IMO.

One reason I bought the Yamaha because I read there is little to no voice lag between AVR sound and television sound.

I would like to know the better of the two mainly regarding picture:

1. Which has the better video processor, Marvell vs HQV Vida, I assume both are better than the Panasonic ST50's.

2. Sound: Which has more open, airy, natural sound? The Yamaha is kinda on the dark side to me, which I'm not a fan of.

Thank you again, I look forward to more opinions.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-02-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Yamaha always sounded natural to me. How did you demo it?

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #11 of 12 Old 05-25-2012, 03:06 PM

If it is just for 3d and your happy with the AVR you have now... Just get a HDMI splitter w/ 3d support to hookup to the back of the BD player, one out to goto the receiver for audio, other for video direct to TV, they are $24 and up on monoprice.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-25-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aika View Post

Edit: Thank you all, have decided to postpone my buy and try hdmi to tv and audio to the AVR for 3D bluray play.

Thank you all for the responses, although after re-reading my original thread, it may have come across a little confusing..

I run Xbox, cable (1080I), and Oppo bluray through my Yamaha, not Pioneer AVR. I have Elemental Designs bookshelfs, which I like a lot and are pretty good IMO.

One reason I bought the Yamaha because I read there is little to no voice lag between AVR sound and television sound.

I would like to know the better of the two mainly regarding picture:

1. Which has the better video processor, Marvell vs HQV Vida, I assume both are better than the Panasonic ST50's.

2. Sound: Which has more open, airy, natural sound? The Yamaha is kinda on the dark side to me, which I'm not a fan of.

Thank you again, I look forward to more opinions.

Vids is much better than the marvel. The 1900 chipset is hard to beat.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page