Best receiver with 3D, Airplay and 2 Zones for $400-$500. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-01-2012, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Warning: I know little about all this stuff

I have the Denon 1911 right now. It works fine for me other than the volume controls. It doesn't go up or down smoothly. I have to hold down the volume button on the remote (universal or Denon remote) for a full second or so until I hear a difference in volume. By then it usually is a louder or a quieter than I was hoping for. I asked about this in a Denon thread and was told this was common for Denons.

I also really need to have the ability to control my iPhone/iPad playlists through the Denon's Zone 2. The Denon 1911 doesn't have Airplay.

I do have Apple TV, but not sure how that would work as the Denon's zone 2 doesn't work with the Apple TV to my knowledge.

Devices I have:
3D HDTV (HDMI)
3D Blu Ray Player (HDMI)
Direct TV HD PVR (HDMI)
Apple TV 2 (HDMI)

The Denon 1912 now has Airplay, but if the volume issue will be the same as what I have now, I'd rather get something else that will control the volume smoothly.

What receiver should I look to get that is
* In the $400-$500 price range
* Capable of passing through 3D signal
* Has 2 Zones
* Controls volume via a universal remote smoothly
* Has Airplay (for Zone 1 and Zone 2)

Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-02-2012, 05:19 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
Using the AppleTV with your 1911 is likely your best option as the AppleTV can play video (on board Airplay on any model AVR cannot do video) as well as play audio independently to Zone 2 (using an optical to analog converter) which the 1912 cannot do but the 1913 can do.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 4 Old 05-02-2012, 05:58 AM

You can take a look at the vsx 1121. It can AirPlay to zone 2 independently. But as jd stated, your best solution for AirPlay is your appletv as it can play video to zone 2.
And since you have appletv you could take a look at a onkyo 709 which has the audyssey room correction that you have with the 1911.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-04-2012, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Using the AppleTV with your 1911 is likely your best option as the AppleTV can play video (on board Airplay on any model AVR cannot do video) as well as play audio independently to Zone 2 (using an optical to analog converter) which the 1912 cannot do but the 1913 can do.

Awesome! That definitely sounds like the best option. Just ordered the converter and cables for it from the link you gave. Love Monoprice!

Thanks jdsmoothie!!!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page