AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
^^^

you believe correctly...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 263 Old 05-09-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Sorry, it's something I feel strongly about

So is there any rumor that MCACC will be extended to do subwoofer equalization? Perhaps next year?

I've also been wondering the feasibility of a workaround: if one plugs a pair of powered subwoofers into the main left and right preamp outs, and "normal" speakers into the main left and right speaker outs, and configures the AVR with "no subwoofer", will MCACC do a correct full frequency equalization of what it thinks are the main speakers?

it was more of a "poke of fun" at purdyd...

nope... no rumor at all...

nope, that won't work... how you gonna cross it over?

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #183 of 263 Old 05-09-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

it was more of a "poke of fun" at purdyd...

nope... no rumor at all...

nope, that won't work... how you gonna cross it over?

To his credit, Walkamo said he picked up a 4311 and is trying out Audyssey at the end of last week to learn more about it - and hopefully to give a little more pressure on the Pioneer engineers and Air Studio for the future. Let's see what his impressions are, if he feels comfortable posting about them......but realistically, unless it's being kept Top Secret at a Burn before Reading level, you're looking at next years' AVRs for Pioneer to do anything about EQing < 63 Hz.

OTOH, while I put SQ ahead of whatever bells and whistles a new Pioneer AVR has (and I moved to Denon when the evidence of the improvement became overwhelming), I could see at least a few of the new features have some added value for the typical user, to differentiate Pioneer from Onkyo/Denon etc. If you don't have a 7.1 or 9.1 system, the Virtual modes that emulate Heights/Wides and matrix surround back might be a selling point. Likewise if you use the Zone modes, having Tone & Balance controls, or the front DAC/USB port for the people that care about it. They're niche things, but sadly we all don't have the same priorities in the non-AVS world. And you can't underestimate the bundling effect - buying on brand loyalty vs. comparisons/tradeoffs between brands.

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

post #184 of 263 Old 05-09-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

...you're looking at next years' AVRs for Pioneer to do anything about EQing < 63 Hz.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Pioneer's Standing Wave Control allows application of up to three parametric cut filters to each channel, including the sub. If so, that does enable a degree of manual EQ below 63 Hz.

AJ
post #185 of 263 Old 05-09-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyd View Post

The days of owning physical media are over you will either download it or stream it on a rental basis

To me the thing that makes the most sense for legacy stuff, records, CDs,etc is to digitize/rip it and pit it onto a hard disc and connect that to the receiver

I don't think so Vinyl made a resurgence among audiophiles and Blu-ray & DVD's will be around for a LONG time.

Routine downloading/streaming makes NO sense when

1) large rural areas of the US still have limited or no access to broadband internet
2) broadband may only be limited to 500kbps - 1 mbps
3) wireless can be still be slow, flaky or hacked. My wife's ipod sometimes loses connection 40 ft away from my hi-speed router. She's been complaining about that lately.
4) on top of that, the pipeline noticeably slows down when 2 of us are online at the same time, all with >20 mbps access, 100 mb to the router & gigabit switch.
5) increasing security concerns from malware infected files, ads, etc. I've dealt with that issue on multiple work & home PC's too many times to open the door to even more tainted media files from the internet. I've even got snakebit from ads on mainstream sites like CNN, MSNBC, Comcast's own web portal page. And I'm going to give these a-sholes even more opportunity to put trojans on my PC's, and networked devices? I don't think so.
6) discs & I'll throw in media storage devices like ipods are nearly 100% reliable, convenient, and ubiquitous. why bother spending thousands for NAS, server, RAID reduncancy, and become your own IT dept to manage what it would take to ensure the integrity of your files and reliable streaming. I have the knowledge AND the experience to do it. What I don't have is the offline time to spend doing it.

And I believe the vast majority of the public neither have the knowledge, learning capability, time or willingness to do this as a total replacement for some form of media. I include ipods and similar because they are ubiquitous and are physically connected playback system to cans, buds or an AV system. While NAS, RAID setups, servers are a whole different level of complexity. Streamers - also a different story, relatively easy to use but all the above limitations apply, on speed, access to content from one source (almost impossible). So you'd end up with multiple streamers for the channels and sources you'd want - that sounds like about the same as multiple players and media to me

Bottom line - it just ain't practical yet across the board for everybody

Plus, I really have NO desire to spend thousands on a kaleidascope-type system nor the desire to deal with windows bootup, load times, etc on a HTPC.

Redigitizing vinyl - doable if you own a few dozen or maybe even a 100 LP's. I've got LP's going back as far as pre-1972. Probably a thousand or more, I can't even count. I'm am DEFINITELY NOT going to spend every waking hour of my life digitizing them, and about 600-700 CD's, SACD's and DVD-A's I own.

I'm not a luddite by any stretch of the imagination but what you say may look good on paper but in reality it's hogwash and I'm being polite

It may work for 20, 30 & 40 yr old somethings but for old farts like me who've been collecting, enjoying and preserving for 40 years, it's not a practical solution, unless I retire now and start.

Our former IT network admin spent at least 1 whole year digitizing onto a multiple terrabyte NAS and server setup his entire CD collection. No thanks!!! When I can plop a disc into a tray & hit play, what's the point of all that wasted time

Rip a dozen CD's and some files to an ipod? sure, no problem, easy and now it's portable. But most have a life besides working behind a PC

Steve
post #186 of 263 Old 05-09-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

I don't think so Vinyl made a resurgence among audiophiles and Blu-ray & DVD's will be around for a LONG time.

Routine downloading/streaming makes NO sense when
1) large rural areas of the US still have limited or no access to broadband internet
2) broadband may only be limited to 500kbps - 1 mbps
3) wireless can be still be slow, flaky or hacked. My wife's ipod sometimes loses connection 40 ft away from my hi-speed router. She's been complaining about that lately.
4) on top of that, the pipeline noticeably slows down when 2 of us are online at the same time, all with >20 mbps access, 100 mb to the router & gigabit switch.
5) increasing security concerns from malware infected files, ads, etc. I've dealt with that issue on multiple work & home PC's too many times to open the door to even more tainted media files from the internet. I've even got snakebit from ads on mainstream sites like CNN, MSNBC, Comcast's own web portal page. And I'm going to give these a-sholes even more opportunity to put trojans on my PC's, and networked devices? I don't think so.

Bottom line - it just ain't practical yet across the board for everybody

Plus, I really have NO desire to spend thousands on a kaleidascope-type system nor the desire to deal with windows bootup, load times, etc on a HTPC.

Redigitizing vinyl - doable if you own a few dozen or maybe even a 100 LP's. I've got LP's going back as far as pre-1972. Probably a thousand or more, I can't even count. I'm am DEFINITELY NOT going to spend every waking hour of my life digitizing them, and about 600-700 CD's, SACD's and DVD-A's I own.

I'm not a luddite by any stretch of the imagination but what you say may look good on paper but in reality it's hogwash and I'm being polite

It may work for 20, 30 & 40 yr old somethings but for old farts like me who've been collecting, enjoying and preserving for 40 years, it's not a practical solution, unless I retire now and start.

Our former IT network admin spent at least 1 whole year digitizing onto a multiple terrabyte NAS and server setup his entire CD collection. No thanks!!! When I can plop a disc into a tray & hit play, what's the point of all that wasted time

I've seen a new growing trend around my area with the creation of computer clubs. What they are is huge copy sessions where hard drives full of mp3s are passed around and dumped to new hard drives. I couldn't see myself spending months copying my music just to give it away.

I too don't see physical media disappearing for many reasons you have pointed out. Apple is trying hard to force its users to purchase software from the app store as each year, they are removing DVD drives from their hardware.
post #187 of 263 Old 05-09-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Some of us enjoy holding physical media in our hands and knowing that neither the studios nor a power spike can take it away from us with no warning. Finding a player for obsolete media is another matter, of course.

bingo

Steve
post #188 of 263 Old 05-09-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To his credit, Walkamo said he picked up a 4311 and is trying out Audyssey at the end of last week to learn more about it - and hopefully to give a little more pressure on the Pioneer engineers and Air Studio for the future. Let's see what his impressions are, if he feels comfortable posting about them..

+1
Agree completely.

Based on my PM communications with him, I believe he genuinely wants to learn more so he can persuade other divisions to join in asking for future changes. Or at least better understanding why it is what it is. Besides being a Pioneer employee, he is an a/v enthusiast, too

Steve
post #189 of 263 Old 05-09-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Burnable CD/DVD/BD media has a limited lifetime -- just a small number of years. A dropped hard drive is recycling material. Periodically recopying to new media or a new format before the old is obsolete is a royal pain -- and sometimes you don't realize you need to copy it until it's too late.

Aluminum on plastic can last a very long time. I'm still watching old laserdiscs.

yup

I've seen CD-R's rot myself.

hey, I just watched 2 of my ld collection a month or so ago One is oop on DVD and one is going to be released to blu in a few months. I have laserdiscs of movies that have never made it to DVD, in this country anyway.

Steve
post #190 of 263 Old 05-09-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

I've seen a new growing trend around my area with the creation of computer clubs. What they are is huge copy sessions where hard drives full of mp3s are passed around and dumped to new hard drives. I couldn't see myself spending months copying my music just to give it away.

I too don't see physical media disappearing for many reasons you have pointed out. Apple is trying hard to force its users to purchase software from the app store as each year, they are removing DVD drives from their hardware.

As much as I like Apple products the optical disc going away bothers me and I noticed Windows 8 will not have Media player support it will be a pay for option. The new Ultra Books may not have an optical drive either.
I still like physical media and feel I am not alone.
post #191 of 263 Old 05-09-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

As much as I like Apple products the optical disc going away bothers me and I noticed Windows 8 will not have Media player support it will be a pay for option. The new Ultra Books may not have an optical drive either.

Yeah it's a sad state when optical drives begin to disappear. However all of these new avr's are deleting a large sum of analog connections, yet the price of last years successor doesn't decrease in price... Makes you wonder if these other industries are giving incentives to avr manf to remove legacy.
post #192 of 263 Old 05-09-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Makes you wonder if these other industries are giving incentives to avr manf to remove legacy.

The "incentive" is for them to save $5 in parts/design cost by removing legacy connectors from the lower models with razor thin margins. If someone really needs them, they can step up to a more profitable higher-end model.
post #193 of 263 Old 05-09-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

They're making it harder, but not prohibiting it altogether. And the mfrs see optical drive users as a captive market with new PCs and laptops.

But also look who's buying Ultra Books..if you're an iDork in Gen Y, you're downloading software and streaming A/V more than buying physical media because it's become natural, it's quicker to purchase (all that ADHD LOL), and can be uploaded to the cloud. The Internet infrastructure has a long way to go to replace physical content with streaming...as per what ss9001 pointed out...but he's not a device customer the way that the early adaptors are.

Stuart

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

post #194 of 263 Old 05-09-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post

The "incentive" is for them to save $5 in parts/design cost by removing legacy connectors from the lower models with razor thin margins. If someone really needs them, they can step up to a more profitable higher-end model.

I have a funny feeling in a generation or two the mid and upper tier will begin to lose them.
post #195 of 263 Old 05-09-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I have a funny feeling in a generation or two the mid and upper tier will begin to lose them.

No doubt. But it's because of the general lack of use. When was the last time you saw (or used!) an RF Laserdisc connection? Even 7.1 analog jacks are now reserved for top-end models. HDMI meets the needs of almost everyone, and if you have more than 2-3 legacy connections, you'll just need to invest in some kind of legacy switcher. No need to include all those s-video jacks for the 99.99% of consumers that don't need them.
post #196 of 263 Old 05-09-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

but he's not a device customer the way that the early adaptors are.

O I don't know about that if I understand what you meant. ipod's and digital music files...you are 100% totally correct, I'm guilty as charged; it took the Pied Piper and a generous offer by him to get me hooked into an ipod & ripping music.

But physical media, new formats & playback systems...I've been an early adopter since '72 with price tags to match -

quadraphonic - Harmon-Kardon 1st gen quad receiver in quad's infancy (1972), that barely had perceptible front-rear separation, like 3 dB! followed by the granddaddy of quad receivers, the Sansui, the most advanced one built with the best capability to generate a synthesized quad field from 2 ch. Even today, on many recordings, it has better generate better surround effects than Dolby PLIIx.

beta tape - an early Sanyo to a refined Sony super-beta deck before Sony dropped beta

1 gen Pioneer laserdisc player (top loading with gas laser) thru 4 consecutive generations, the last of which I still have

early early, 1st gen Dolby Cinema Surround decoder from Surround Sound Inc, cost $250 back in ~'80, a box with knobs to set ch vol levels, and pre-dating Pro Logic with a monophonic surround channel that had very limited freq range & no center

an early gen S-vhs tape deck
D-Theater vhs tape deck

early gen SACD/DVD-Audio Pioneer player

HD-DVD - jumped right in with both feet with Toshiba's 1st player

the very 1st Blu-ray player to market from Panny

I've built PC's, played with SCSI, installed OS's, incl Linux, Cisco networking classes, etc.
So anyone who thinks I'm a technophobic luddite, guess again

I've been pursuing surround sound music, home video & new formats for a long time

Steve
post #197 of 263 Old 05-09-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

O I don't know about that if I understand what you meant. ipod's and music files...you are 100% totally correct; it took the Pied Piper and a generous offer by him to get me hooked into ipod.

(SNIP - lots of examples of how Steve's not a technophobic Luddite)

Yeah, I was thinking of the likes of iPods and music DLs....but for all the downloading I do, I use music DLs from iTunes more for convenience when I'm on an iDevice, or for spur of the moment purchases, than as a replacement for lossless real music formats.

While I didn't own all that equipment - I let you take the bullet for HD-DVD and Laserdisc - as an early buyer of an universal DVD-Audio/SACD system, and having a BetaMax player when first graduated from college I can sympathize.....

However, I do think that the generation gap is real, and it favors the digital download at the expense of optical, becuase ultimately new devices will come without an optical drive as SOP, and eventually the content providers will ultimately want it once they get a pay model and a way to consistently enforce DRM with the downloads. It will be 'natural' to teens and 20-somethings in a way that buying CDs and DVD is for most of us here; and I'm not even 50 yet.

Stuart

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

post #198 of 263 Old 05-09-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

@steve...

you are still a luddite...

i think it's more of a generational thing, as stuart is alluding to... the yutes out there are already conditioned to not have "hard media"... i bet if shiny disks (or black ones, ftm) disappeared tomorrow, no one under the age of, say, 18 would miss them... if anything, hard media is an annoyance to them (for a number of reasons)...

this really isn't a "quality" point (i.e. dadgummed yutes don't care about sq)...

i don't think shiny disks are going anywhere soon, at least for video, as the infrastructure for others methods of delivery doesn't really exist yet...

although i do think that the "redbox" model may migrate to a "usb key" type of distribution over time.. rather than spitting out a disk, you stick your usb stick in, and it downloads the movie to it...

edit: stuart beat me in, but i think i'm agreeing with him...

- chris

post #199 of 263 Old 05-09-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

However, I do think that the generation gap is real, and it favors the digital download at the expense of optical

I agree with that
No doubt, that accounts for comments like "just digitalize your LP collection"

the point is not that the future isn't going to be streaming/cloud based media rental & storage, etc - the point is that it is not a practical, ubiquitous way to enjoy entertainment now, that there is NO need for physical media anymore, which is essentially what the poster said.

the poster who said that is in fantasy land, probably fueled by his expertise in working with digital media files. industry experts say at least 5 maybe 10 years before that can happen across the board, maybe not even then. I agree that Blu-ray will be the last shiny disc, but it won't be replaced by cloud rental, streaming, and downloading for a long time. Even corporations haven't adopted cloud computing en masse. They are very hesitant, for good reasons, not to entrust cloud companies with all their business, client, and product data. There are days when Comcast's internet service goes down for an hour or more in Atlanta, and we lose not only our 'net access but also our phone. So the only reliable 2 way communication with the outside world becomes our cell phones!

The internet is just not 100% reliable enough for en masse corporate adoption of the cloud all their data. It's still a dream.

Steve
post #200 of 263 Old 05-09-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

@steve...

i think it's more of a generational thing, as stuart is alluding to... the yutes out there are already conditioned to not have "hard media"... i bet if shiny disks (or black ones, ftm) disappeared tomorrow, no one under the age of, say, 18 would miss them... if anything, hard media is an annoyance to them (for a number of reasons)...

this really isn't a "quality" point (i.e. dadgummed yutes don't care about sq)...

i don't think shiny disks are going anywhere soon, at least for video, as the infrastructure for others methods of delivery doesn't really exist yet...

although i do think that the "redbox" model may migrate to a "usb key" type of distribution over time.. rather than spitting out a disk, you stick your usb stick in, and it downloads the movie to it...

edit: stuart beat me in, but i think i'm agreeing with him...

Yeah, it's the iDork Vulcan mind meld trick.....but as long as we have crappy 3G coverage in the cities and spread out burbs, and AT&T is choking on bandwidth for it's mobile devices (DK about you, but getting an iPad with anything like 3G in downtown Chicago is about impossible these days), DVD and BluRay are safe. Plus which there's still that big blip of retirement-era Boomers that are used to them, and have all those legacy DVD players. Someone has to plug something into the Pioneer Elite AVRs of the year, after all...

Ironic, Chris: I've got something like 500 CDs (probably at least 300 DVDs and BluRays), and I _still_ prefer popping them into my Oppo over any other format, but good luck getting Ari (our 14 year old) to listen to anything he doesn't see on YouTube, Netflix, or iTunes, or isn't pre-loaded into the Music app of his iPad. Lisa (my version of SWMBO) is almost as bad...but she still likes those shiny music disks.

One thing: with the iCloud, why do you see USB keys as the last form of 'physical' media for video? You still have to carry the danged things around, after all....it might take care of the DRM issue, however.

Stuart

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

post #201 of 263 Old 05-09-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

@steve...

i think it's more of a generational thing

I know
and like my post to Stuart, I completely agree with you.

Steve
post #202 of 263 Old 05-09-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I agree with that
Even corporations haven't adopted cloud computing en masse. They are very hesitant, for good reasons, not to entrust cloud companies with all their business, client, and product data. There are days when Comcast's internet service goes down for an hour or more in Atlanta, and we lose not only our 'net access but also our phone. So the only reliable 2 way communication with the outside world becomes our cell phones!

The internet is just not 100% reliable enough for en masse corporate adoption of all their data. It's still a dream.

An argument for multiple redundancy: cable or DSL to a wired Internet to connect to a Wifi router, followed by iDevices with their own 3G/4G. It doesn't hurt to have a secondary provider just in case either...that's where a USB Internet access plug-in comes in handy:-).

Stuart

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

post #203 of 263 Old 05-09-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

@steve...

yea, i saw that afterwards...

- chris

post #204 of 263 Old 05-09-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

but as long as we have crappy 3G coverage in the cities and spread out burbs, and AT&T is choking on bandwidth for it's mobile devices

As much as I hate Comcast, the company, for its rotten customer help & service, I think AT&T is worse They used to be the wired cable company in all of Atlanta, before Comcast came in. They were so bad, none of their 800, local numbers were answered from 8AM-5PM, all went to terminal hold. The only way I could reach them was to call some branch location of AT&T the phone company to find out where I could go to cancel our service .

When they came around the neighborhood looking for u-verse customers, I just looked at the guy and told him no way in hell! And Comcast almost made me go to DirectTV when they wired up the subdiv. Sorriest cable company I've dealt with other than AT&T.

Basically, telecom companies suck for customer service and we want to use them for more of our communications & content?? Sorry, no sale! Call me a luddite but I'll stick to shiny discs

Steve
post #205 of 263 Old 05-09-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah, it's the iDork Vulcan mind meld trick.....but as long as we have crappy 3G coverage in the cities and spread out burbs, and AT&T is choking on bandwidth for it's mobile devices (DK about you, but getting an iPad with anything like 3G in downtown Chicago is about impossible these days), DVD and BluRay are safe. Plus which there's still that big blip of retirement-era Boomers that are used to them, and have all those legacy DVD players. Someone has to plug something into the Pioneer Elite AVRs of the year, after all...

Ironic, Chris: I've got something like 500 CDs (probably at least 300 DVDs and BluRays), and I _still_ prefer popping them into my Oppo over any other format, but good luck getting Ari (our 14 year old) to listen to anything he doesn't see on YouTube, Netflix, or iTunes, or isn't pre-loaded into the Music app of his iPad. Lisa (my version of SWMBO) is almost as bad...but she still likes those shiny music disks.

One thing: with the iCloud, why do you see USB keys as the last form of 'physical' media for video? You still have to carry the danged things around, after all....it might take care of the DRM issue, however.

we will control your mind... lol...

yea, i just don't see it being viable yet... heck, i've got good coverage here, and i have "fast" internet, but i'm not foolish enough to think that's the "common" scenario... someone like me could likely dispose of shiny disks, but i'm in a minority...

yup, i don't doubt that about ari... i don't have kids (the world should thank me for that ), but i see enough of what goes on around me to know that they live in an "instant delivery" world... their paradigm is completely different than ours... heck, imagine if they had to "be kind and rewind"...

i'll admit, if i'm sitting on my couch and the choice is "stream or move carcass to get disk", i stream...

as far as usb goes... that comment was really only directed at the "redbox model"... rather than the machine containing shiny disks, it downloads the movie you want (carefully drm protected, of course ) to your usb stick...

i see two real benefits with that...

1) the movie people want is never "out of stock"...
2) no physical media to break, not be returned, stocked into machines, etc.

- chris

post #206 of 263 Old 05-09-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

An argument for multiple redundancy: cable or DSL to a wired Internet to connect to a Wifi router, followed by iDevices with their own 3G/4G. It doesn't hurt to have a secondary provider just in case either...that's where a USB Internet access plug-in comes in handy:-).

all to replace a disc

Steve
post #207 of 263 Old 05-09-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

As much as I hate Comcast, the company, for its rotten customer help & service, I think AT&T is worse They used to be the wired cable company in all of Atlanta, before Comcast came in. They were so bad, none of their 800, local numbers were answered from 8AM-5PM, all went to terminal hold. The only way I could reach them was to call some branch location of AT&T the phone company to find out where I could go to cancel our service .

When they came around the neighborhood looking to conversions to u-verse, I just looked at the guy and said in a cold day in Hell! And Comcast almost made me look at DirectTV when they wired up the subdiv.

All telecom companies suck, and we want to use them for more of our communications & content?? Sorry, no sale! Call me a luddite but I'll stick to shiny discs

+1. I was on the cable committee of our condo building a few years ago, and there were some folks that were all excited over U-Verse and wanted to move to it from RCN. The deal breaker was that you were limited by the bandwidth about how many streams you could watch and record at the same time. For somebody with multiple TVs in your place, that might mean having to choose between watching two different channels or having to drop recording while others were watching TV. Not exactly progress....and imagine what happens when everybody using the source is doing the same thing at the same time. No fun there....sometimes there's something to be said for consistent if not the most tech forward pipelines.

Stuart

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

post #208 of 263 Old 05-09-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

really, I am intrigued with streaming shows, much more so than downloading music/video files.
that's one reason among many why I wanted the Oppo player.

Maximum PC ran an article several months ago about content streaming, services, content & devices. It's both encouraging & discouraging to read.

I was sincerely hoping I could find a way to cut most of the cable cord....unfortunately, when you start looking into the alphabet soup of streaming services & devices needed, it's pretty discouraging to realize the lock the cable companies, studios, and subscription channels have on content... you just can't get even close to a suitable replacement for cable/sat. Sure, I can pay Comcast for HBO Go, but watching Game of Thrones on a smartphone? Even if I'm flying, I'll record it and save for my hidef full surround AV system, thanks. So the good news is, I guess I'm not ADD I freely admit, the ipod has been a lifesaver for flights So, different strokes...

vudu, hulu, netflix, the blockbuster, and many names I never heard of before, and not one of them can supply all the channels or show passes I would want. So, I haven't signed up with any of them yet, let it go until some more time passes & see if more content develops. I have no interest in needing 3 or more streamers just to watch the news and several channels. And the last I checked, HBO won't let those non-cable/sat services have access to their content.

Streaming TV channels is a neat idea, just need to break the lock...

Steve
post #209 of 263 Old 05-09-2012, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

one word describes why i can't cut the cord...

sports...

edit: although streaming services have gotten "better" here, i remain firmly attached to the umbilical cord that extends to bristol connecticut...

- chris

post #210 of 263 Old 05-09-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Why can't comcast have a DVR that can record 4 channels at the same time? Doesn't Direct TV have something called "The Hopper"?

Dual Submersive HP's

New HT Room -  

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page