Integra Receivers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 05-02-2012, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking at Integra Receivers. Possibly DTR 30.3 or 40.3. Any info or reports on pros & cons?? Seems like good equipment, can't find any bad reporting on brand. New to this higher end equipment. Hopefully learning before buying!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
It's just me, but I would just buy the Onkyo equivalent and spend the difference elsewhere in your system

30.3 = Onkyo 609 and 40.3 = Onkyo 709.
They are functional equivalents, but Integra has a one year longer warranty. Just use an AMEX card and they will add an extra year of warranty coverage onto the Onkyo.
post #3 of 22 Old 05-02-2012, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecraze View Post

It's just me, but I would just buy the Onkyo equivalent and spend the difference elsewhere in your system

30.3 = Onkyo 609 and 40.3 = Onkyo 709.
They are functional equivalents, but Integra has a one year longer warranty. Just use an AMEX card and they will add an extra year of warranty coverage onto the Onkyo.

Strongly disagree here. Integra is a great receiver and I've had 2, my 1st was a DTR 8.2 that lasted 8 years and would have been still growing strong if it were not for my urge to upgrade to take advantage of HDMI through the receiver, which I now am using a DTR 40.2. Check out Blu Ray.com forums and there is an extensive discussion on the Integras. Integra has that sexy look with the brushed alumimun volume knob and power button, certainly not that plain old boring everyone's the same black face, unless you want to be like everyone else that is. Check out the specs on the Integra also. Here's a link to the 40.3.

http://www.integrahometheater.com/mo...m=DTR-40.3&p=i

Jeff
post #4 of 22 Old 05-03-2012, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I saw a old post a few months ago on here arguing how people didn't think that Integra is that much better. Some people thought that they use some of the same parts. People were saying that the same time certain onkyos were being recalled, Integra were. I thought about buying a Integra receiver earlier this year, but decided not to. I heard a rumor that if Integra dealers sell below retail or to much below it they can have the license pulled to allow them to sell it. I noticed that the person that I talked to about them couldn't go below retail. It makes me wonder if that's why. Integra has a better warranty. I don't know if it's better though. I never got to hear it. They had to order it if I wanted it. They sold other things like grills for hamburgers and steaks and dealt with installation of home theater stuff. If you decide on the Integra brand, I hope that it works out for you.
post #5 of 22 Old 05-03-2012, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
If you look at the service manuals for both the Integra and Onkyo brand, you will realize that they are practically identical (hardware) twins in different packaging with some firmware related differences.
Because the Integra brand is directed almost exclusively at a dedicated dealership it usually is been sold at a higher price and not available online.
post #6 of 22 Old 05-03-2012, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I'd also recommend going the Onkyo route and using the saved money to purchase other equipment.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #7 of 22 Old 05-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az View Post

Strongly disagree here. Integra is a great receiver and I've had 2, my 1st was a DTR 8.2 that lasted 8 years and would have been still growing strong if it were not for my urge to upgrade to take advantage of HDMI through the receiver, which I now am using a DTR 40.2. Check out Blu Ray.com forums and there is an extensive discussion on the Integras. Integra has that sexy look with the brushed alumimun volume knob and power button, certainly not that plain old boring everyone's the same black face, unless you want to be like everyone else that is. Check out the specs on the Integra also. Here's a link to the 40.3.

http://www.integrahometheater.com/mo...m=DTR-40.3&p=i

Jeff

If it is worth $300 to the OP to have a "better" looking faceplate (which is a completely subjective personal decision), then by all means he should buy the Integra. Otherwise, they are functional equivalents.

Many people have eight year old Onkyos that are still going strong. Probably more so than Integra because I would suspect that Onkyo outsells Integra 10 to 1.
post #8 of 22 Old 05-03-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecraze View Post

If it is worth $300 to the OP to have a "better" looking faceplate (which is a completely subjective personal decision), then by all means he should buy the Integra. Otherwise, they are functional equivalents.

Many people have eight year old Onkyos that are still going strong. Probably more so than Integra because I would suspect that Onkyo outsells Integra 10 to 1.

There's more to the Integra than the look for that extra $300. The Onkyo equivalent doesn't come into play until you get to the upper end of Onkyo which would be like the Integra 70.3 and 80.3, or Onkyo's 1009 and up. As for the dealer who wouldn't sell below retail, his loss. I paid $200. below retail for my 40.2.

Jeff
post #9 of 22 Old 05-03-2012, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There's more to the Integra than the look for that extra $300. The Onkyo equivalent doesn't come into play until you get to the upper end of Onkyo which would be like the Integra 70.3 and 80.3, or Onkyo's 1009 and up. As for the dealer who wouldn't sell below retail, his loss. I paid $200. below retail for my 40.2.

Jeff

Even with that discount, the OP could buy the nine channel 1009 for that price, or the new 818 with Audyssey XT32. They both have better video processors also.
post #10 of 22 Old 05-03-2012, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Jeff

Oh boy here we go again. Like gurkey said all one has to do is look at service manuals to show that Integras and Onkyos share the same parts. The differences are really subtle, the one that really standout to me are the assignable triggers for Integras vs only zone 2/3 triggers for the Onkyos. This makes integrating external amps much easier. Onkyo is mass-market while the Integra is for the custom installer.
post #11 of 22 Old 05-03-2012, 09:20 AM

Liked: 12
I have a 30.3 and like it just fine but don't think the amps are as good as the replaced HK AVR635 (but it had no HDMI). I don't like how the Audyssey sets things in my room compared to the HK setup and have to tweak it some. I also miss some of the audio modes HK has like Logic7 in particular.

Other than that, I love the streaming and Pandora capabilities.

They may look identical and have similar manuals, but the actual parts are "supposed to be of higher quality". I don't know for sure.

Consider the HKs as well as the Integras.

Rotel 1072 > VAC CLA 1 MKII > Counterpoint NPS-400 > Clearfield Continental Speakers via Synsergistic Research Cabling
post #12 of 22 Old 05-03-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post

I have a 30.3 and like it just fine but don't think the amps are as good as the replaced HK AVR635 (but it had no HDMI). I don't like how the Audyssey sets things in my room compared to the HK setup and have to tweak it some. I also miss some of the audio modes HK has like Logic7 in particular.

Other than that, I love the streaming and Pandora capabilities.

They may look identical and have similar manuals, but the actual parts are "supposed to be of higher quality". I don't know for sure.

Consider the HKs as well as the Integras.

This has been proven not to be the case, both use the same parts as confirmed by their service manuals.
post #13 of 22 Old 11-08-2012, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecraze View Post

I'm running a DTR-7 that's 13 yrs old. With 5.1 analog in it still kicks.
post #14 of 22 Old 02-26-2013, 07:00 PM

I purchased an Integra 30.3 for $850 at Site on Sound in Fargo, ND. First receiver I have purchased since 1985 smile.gif

Wow does it sound nice, and I love the streaming capabilities.

I shopped for weeks for a new receiver, and the Integra 30.3 wins.
post #15 of 22 Old 05-11-2013, 09:14 AM

Liked: 18
Hey does anyone know why do so many professional custom installers swear by the Integra brand? But on the other hand integra is a relatively unkown brand to the mass market BB crowd...
post #16 of 22 Old 05-11-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfD View Post

Hey does anyone know why do so many professional custom installers swear by the Integra brand? But on the other hand integra is a relatively unkown brand to the mass market BB crowd...

It appears that the Integra brand was created to cater to the professional installer marketplace. There is quite a bit of evidence that they are closely related to Onkyos.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/amps-pre-pros-receivers/50510-integra-vs-onkyo-whats-difference.html

Having a unique brand tends to help isolate the economics of custom installations from the economics of do-it-yourself and the mass market.
ProfD likes this.
post #17 of 22 Old 05-11-2013, 09:49 AM

Liked: 18
Makes sense. One needs a separate brand if one wants to charge more to people who want to pay more for something similar. Thanks!
post #18 of 22 Old 05-13-2013, 12:53 PM

Do the onkyo versions have IP control like the integras? That alone is worth it to some of us. I'm not about to go back to IR control after having everything IP/RF.
post #19 of 22 Old 05-13-2013, 07:05 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

It appears that the Integra brand was created to cater to the professional installer marketplace. There is quite a bit of evidence that they are closely related to Onkyos.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/amps-pre-pros-receivers/50510-integra-vs-onkyo-whats-difference.html

Having a unique brand tends to help isolate the economics of custom installations from the economics of do-it-yourself and the mass market.

I remember when Integra was Onkyo's flagship line, akin to Pioneer's ELITE line. Integra components had both the Onkyo and Integra badges. I suspect Onkyo withholds Auddyssey Pro and assignable triggers from their receivers just to differentiate from Integra. If I were Onkyo, I'd go back to the original model, and make the high end (1010, 3010, 5010 and Integra DHC line) the Integra "Flagship" line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibdoomed View Post

Do the onkyo versions have IP control like the integras? That alone is worth it to some of us. I'm not about to go back to IR control after having everything IP/RF.

Onkyo has IP control. The remote apps are even interchangeable.
post #20 of 22 Old 05-14-2013, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatLocker View Post

Onkyo has IP control. The remote apps are even interchangeable.

Ok, I'll pick one up and give it a whirl. I'll assume the tcpip commands are the same so we'll see what crestron says.
post #21 of 22 Old 06-02-2014, 05:33 PM

Buy an Onkyo and an Integra used that are basically the same and open them up. First the Integra will have a bigger power supply and a lot bigger heatsinks. Next compare the thickness of the metal that makes up the case of the Integra, it is almost twice as thick (R.F. Shielding and just makes it sturdier). Finally get into the menu of each, The better Integra's (DTR-6.x and better or DTR 40.x and better) have 15 band eq's per channel pair versus Onkyo's 7 band eq. Integra for the most part offer more video options for more zones and have 3 assignable 12 volt triggers. My DTR-40.1 has the power of an Onkyo TX-SR707 and a pre-amp better then an Onkyo TX-NR807 (no 3rd zone but does have composite video for zone 2 and an additional component video imput that the TX-NR807 lacks). The DTR-40.1 also has Ethernet Radio and DLNA like the TX-NR807. But now I just got an Integra DTR-8.9 supper cheap and I love the fact that not only does it have a 15 Band EQ per channel pair it also has bass and treble controls per channel pair. I am a Marantz fan but Integra has won me over though I plan on holding on to a few Marantz components.
post #22 of 22 Old 07-14-2014, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo604 View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by pronghorn/az

Jeff

Oh boy here we go again. Like gurkey said all one has to do is look at service manuals to show that Integras and Onkyos share the same parts. The differences are really subtle, the one that really standout to me are the assignable triggers for Integras vs only zone 2/3 triggers for the Onkyos. This makes integrating external amps much easier. Onkyo is mass-market while the Integra is for the custom installer.
Older posts but here I go. Funny, I don't see any forum on this site of failures of Integra, but see failures of Onkyo all the time...Hmmmmmm

Jeff
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page