I see why people love NAD amps so much now - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 59 Old 05-02-2012, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I heard my first NAD amp today at a store. I was amazed at how it sounded on 14,000 dollar speakers and 600 dollar bookshelf speakers. I realize why people love it so much now. it was amazing. I heard the c326bee. I liked the Cambridge Audio amp also, but it sounded a little tinty bright, high pitched on the tweeters. I think that the Nad sounded better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 05-02-2012, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
^^^ Either that, or the salesman wanted to push the NAD.
post #3 of 59 Old 05-02-2012, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I heard dali helicon or something like that. They were so amazing. I was like wow. I also got to hear mordaunt short mezzo. I was pleased with them.
post #4 of 59 Old 05-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post

I heard my first NAD amp today at a store. I was amazed at how it sounded on 14,000 dollar speakers and 600 dollar bookshelf speakers. I realize why people love it so much now. it was amazing. I heard the c326bee. I liked the Cambridge Audio amp also, but it sounded a little tinty bright, high pitched on the tweeters. I think that the Nad sounded better.

Oh Oh! You just declared war with the "All amps sound the same" crowd that dominates the AVS Forums.

What you MEANT to say is "room correction is the greatest thing EVER! ESPECIALLY Anthem's ARC."

I recommend searching for another

av forum

for slightly less monotone groupthink.

Moderator harassment is wrong and immoral.  
post #5 of 59 Old 05-02-2012, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I hear good things about Anthem. The nearest store that sells them is about 48 minutes from me. someday I may go check it out and hear it.
post #6 of 59 Old 05-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I hear good things about Anthem. The nearest store that sells them is about 48 minutes from me. someday I may go check it out and hear it.

Of course you have. You're on this site right? Good Job. You've redeemed yourself on the forum.

I have an Anthem MRX-700 right now. Which IS one of the greatest Receivers EVER made. Not because the amps are any better than any other, but because the RC software or ARC is fantastic. It's THAT ARC that makes Anthem better than other receivers. Because ONLY RC software (and features) can make one receiver better or worse than another. And ANYONE that thinks otherwise is just stupid, no, I mean under-educated; poorly informed; blinded by a salesperson, etc.

There - covered myself with the AVS crowd.

I can't wait to get rid of it and pick up an Arcam or one of the new coming soon Cambridge Audio AV receivers for better SQ and less static in the left channels (I'm on my 2nd 700).

post #7 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 208
I have a NAD amp. It sounds great. Better than any of my receivers. Even at low volumes when nothing is clipping. I can make out details with the NAD that I can't with a receiver using the same receiver as a pre for the NAD.
post #8 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean-l View Post

Oh Oh! You just declared war with the "All amps sound the same" crowd that dominates the AVS Forums.

What you MEANT to say is "room correction is the greatest thing EVER! ESPECIALLY Anthem's ARC."

av forum

Well, there's some vocal people along those lines. I consider myself an agnostic in that particular sense. There's quite convincing evidence that people struggle to tell amps apart in blind testing.

I think the evidence is strong enough to assume, until proven otherwise, that amps are not worth spending a ton of money on. For example, a number of people seem quite content with affordable pro amps in their setup.

There's also some convincing claims about amps changing the sound in people's systems. Some people who come across as quite reasonable people, have changed their amp, and noted that they were unhappy with the sound after that point. It does seem that perhaps something changed. It has to be easier to tell a difference when you lived with one amp for years, then changed to another, then in a typical blind test.

I think some people go overboard with their attacks on people who feel amps sound different. There's no reason for aggressive attacks on people who are just trying to improve their sound.

That being said, some people on the other side of the camp make hard to believe assertions about how an amp purchase made a "night and day" difference.

I like to think that the truth is somewhere between the extremes of 'amps make a night and day difference' and 'all amps sound the same.'

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #9 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Is your wow-factor attributal to the amp or the $14K speakers? I would think mostly the latter.
post #10 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
You know what they say... "Go-nad or go home"

post #11 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

and what people you know "love" it so much ? please...
post #12 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Where's my popcorn?
post #13 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokbyter View Post

Where's my popcorn?

it's all in your head.
post #14 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 65
i find it hard to believe that my 25w/channel fisher combo unit would make those 14g speakers sound as good as an upscale amp.
post #15 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post

it's all in your head.

That would explain the smell...
post #16 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

Well, there's some vocal people along those lines. I consider myself an agnostic in that particular sense. There's quite convincing evidence that people struggle to tell amps apart in blind testing.

I think the evidence is strong enough to assume, until proven otherwise, that amps are not worth spending a ton of money on. For example, a number of people seem quite content with affordable pro amps in their setup.

There's also some convincing claims about amps changing the sound in people's systems. Some people who come across as quite reasonable people, have changed their amp, and noted that they were unhappy with the sound after that point. It does seem that perhaps something changed. It has to be easier to tell a difference when you lived with one amp for years, then changed to another, then in a typical blind test.

I think some people go overboard with their attacks on people who feel amps sound different. There's no reason for aggressive attacks on people who are just trying to improve their sound.

That being said, some people on the other side of the camp make hard to believe assertions about how an amp purchase made a "night and day" difference.

I like to think that the truth is somewhere between the extremes of 'amps make a night and day difference' and 'all amps sound the same.'

Very good.

post #17 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socketman View Post

i find it hard to believe that my 25w/channel fisher combo unit would make those 14g speakers sound as good as an upscale amp.

If the Fisher measures flat and there is no audible distortion or clipping, then sure, it will sound as good.

Some find it hard to believe that there aren't real people inside their TV, either....
post #18 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

the 14,000 dollar speakers were already playing On another amp when I walked in the store. The amp that was playing was a 4 or 5,000 dollar amp I think they said. I forget what brand. They just got the speakers in. I figured since some speakers were already hooked up I would ask to hear them on the Nad and Cambridge Audio amps. I wasn't sure how much the speakers cost at first until I asked. I wanted to like the Cambridge amp. It was cheaper then the Nad. I heard so many good things about Cambridge in reviews. I know that some people like the brand. It just wasn't for me. I couldn't get past the sound that it made with the highs. I asked if I could hear some Mordaunt short speakers. The sales person got the mezzos to hear.
post #19 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 05:52 PM

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post

If the Fisher measures flat and there is no audible distortion or clipping, then sure, it will sound as good.

Some find it hard to believe that there aren't real people inside their TV, either....

You know what? You can't comment on sound qualities in this forum anymore. You get jumped on by some sound nazi telling you that you don't know what you're talking about because all amps/receivers sound the same, so have a nice warm glass of shut the hell up. Many threads that I've read end up in some variation of this stupid, pointless, endless insistance that all amps, all recievers, all brands, all price points are exactly the same.

I don't need some stranger telling me this every time I express myself.
post #20 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
post #21 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

You get jumped on by some sound nazi telling you that you don't know what you're talking about because all amps/receivers sound the same...

Look at that -- a Godwin straw man.

Quote:

...so have a nice warm glass of shut the hell up.

Is that the wrong response if someone argumentatively presents unsubstantiated perception as fact?

AJ
post #22 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 07:07 PM

Liked: 42
Well, nazis think everyone wants to hear their opinions, and won't permit free thought.
post #23 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post

Look at that -- a Godwin straw man.

Is that the wrong response if someone argumentatively presents unsubstantiated perception as fact?

AJ

Since we're way off topic anyway - how would one substantiate perception exactly, eh?
post #24 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean-l View Post

av forum

You are the hero of the day, throwing yourself on a grenade to save I the rest of us.It was nice knowing you, too bad you will now slandered into oblivion.
post #25 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by windwaves View Post

and what people you know "love" it so much ? please...

I do. My brother does. Enough for you :roll eyes:

I have the NAD receiver T775HD. Just love it for music and movies.
post #26 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 65
post #27 of 59 Old 05-04-2012, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You know what? You can't comment on sound qualities in this forum anymore. You get jumped on by some sound nazi telling you that you don't know what you're talking about because all amps/receivers sound the same, so have a nice warm glass of shut the hell up. Many threads that I've read end up in some variation of this stupid, pointless, endless insistance that all amps, all recievers, all brands, all price points are exactly the same.

I don't need some stranger telling me this every time I express myself.

Well, either provide some proof (something like the myriad blind tests provided in various threads), or else do indeed have "a nice warm glass" and do not mislead others.

"Golden ears" anecdotes from some store, where all it would take is for the one amp to be just a tad louder to appear "better," or for one label to be a bit shinier, do not count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socketman View Post

dont care ,

That's the spirit! Facts just get in the way, don't they?
post #28 of 59 Old 05-04-2012, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Gee, I see a great deal on a NAD 356BEE amp for sale in the classified section.
post #29 of 59 Old 05-04-2012, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

The problem with his test is the requirements to pass are impossible. You have to get 24 out of 24 guesses to be considered relevant. Plus, the amps are tweaked to make them sound similar. Something very few purchasers would do.

I think there are quality differences between amps, but the differences are subtle.

These tests are the holy grail of those who claim all amps sound the same. The intention of the tests were to demonstrate that the differences weren't huge. The test wasn't setup to demonstrate all amps sound the same.
post #30 of 59 Old 05-04-2012, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, either provide some proof (something like the myriad blind tests provided in various threads), or else do indeed have "a nice warm glass" and do not mislead others.

"Golden ears" anecdotes from some store, where all it would take is for the one amp to be just a tad louder to appear "better," or for one label to be a bit shinier, do not count.

I have provided links to tests that showed a high percentage of listeners preferred one amp or receiver over another in blind tests. All of the test were dismissed. It's a catch 22. The only valid tests are the ones that back ones point. If contrary evidence is shown, the test are, based on results, invalid.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page