I see why people love NAD amps so much now - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 Old 05-02-2012, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
keyboardcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I heard my first NAD amp today at a store. I was amazed at how it sounded on 14,000 dollar speakers and 600 dollar bookshelf speakers. I realize why people love it so much now. it was amazing. I heard the c326bee. I liked the Cambridge Audio amp also, but it sounded a little tinty bright, high pitched on the tweeters. I think that the Nad sounded better.
keyboardcat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 59 Old 05-02-2012, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ryan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
^^^ Either that, or the salesman wanted to push the NAD.
Ryan1 is offline  
post #3 of 59 Old 05-02-2012, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
keyboardcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I heard dali helicon or something like that. They were so amazing. I was like wow. I also got to hear mordaunt short mezzo. I was pleased with them.
keyboardcat is offline  
post #4 of 59 Old 05-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
dean-l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Under a Moderator's Thumb
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post

I heard my first NAD amp today at a store. I was amazed at how it sounded on 14,000 dollar speakers and 600 dollar bookshelf speakers. I realize why people love it so much now. it was amazing. I heard the c326bee. I liked the Cambridge Audio amp also, but it sounded a little tinty bright, high pitched on the tweeters. I think that the Nad sounded better.

Oh Oh! You just declared war with the "All amps sound the same" crowd that dominates the AVS Forums.

What you MEANT to say is "room correction is the greatest thing EVER! ESPECIALLY Anthem's ARC."

I recommend searching for another

av forum

for slightly less monotone groupthink.

Moderator harassment is wrong and immoral.  
dean-l is offline  
post #5 of 59 Old 05-02-2012, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
keyboardcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I hear good things about Anthem. The nearest store that sells them is about 48 minutes from me. someday I may go check it out and hear it.
keyboardcat is offline  
post #6 of 59 Old 05-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
dean-l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Under a Moderator's Thumb
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post

I hear good things about Anthem. The nearest store that sells them is about 48 minutes from me. someday I may go check it out and hear it.

Of course you have. You're on this site right? Good Job. You've redeemed yourself on the forum.

I have an Anthem MRX-700 right now. Which IS one of the greatest Receivers EVER made. Not because the amps are any better than any other, but because the RC software or ARC is fantastic. It's THAT ARC that makes Anthem better than other receivers. Because ONLY RC software (and features) can make one receiver better or worse than another. And ANYONE that thinks otherwise is just stupid, no, I mean under-educated; poorly informed; blinded by a salesperson, etc.

There - covered myself with the AVS crowd.

I can't wait to get rid of it and pick up an Arcam or one of the new coming soon Cambridge Audio AV receivers for better SQ and less static in the left channels (I'm on my 2nd 700).

Moderator harassment is wrong and immoral.  
dean-l is offline  
post #7 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
KidHorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Derwood, Maryland
Posts: 2,896
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 208
I have a NAD amp. It sounds great. Better than any of my receivers. Even at low volumes when nothing is clipping. I can make out details with the NAD that I can't with a receiver using the same receiver as a pre for the NAD.
KidHorn is offline  
post #8 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MichaelJHuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 18,881
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean-l View Post

Oh Oh! You just declared war with the "All amps sound the same" crowd that dominates the AVS Forums.

What you MEANT to say is "room correction is the greatest thing EVER! ESPECIALLY Anthem's ARC."

I recommend searching for another

av forum

for slightly less monotone groupthink.

Well, there's some vocal people along those lines. I consider myself an agnostic in that particular sense. There's quite convincing evidence that people struggle to tell amps apart in blind testing.

I think the evidence is strong enough to assume, until proven otherwise, that amps are not worth spending a ton of money on. For example, a number of people seem quite content with affordable pro amps in their setup.

There's also some convincing claims about amps changing the sound in people's systems. Some people who come across as quite reasonable people, have changed their amp, and noted that they were unhappy with the sound after that point. It does seem that perhaps something changed. It has to be easier to tell a difference when you lived with one amp for years, then changed to another, then in a typical blind test.

I think some people go overboard with their attacks on people who feel amps sound different. There's no reason for aggressive attacks on people who are just trying to improve their sound.

That being said, some people on the other side of the camp make hard to believe assertions about how an amp purchase made a "night and day" difference.

I like to think that the truth is somewhere between the extremes of 'amps make a night and day difference' and 'all amps sound the same.'

"But this one goes up to 11"
MichaelJHuman is online now  
post #9 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
turbobuick86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Whittier, Ca. USA
Posts: 766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is your wow-factor attributal to the amp or the $14K speakers? I would think mostly the latter.
turbobuick86 is offline  
post #10 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
JD in NJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
You know what they say... "Go-nad or go home"

JD in NJ is offline  
post #11 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
windwaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post

I heard my first NAD amp today at a store. I was amazed at how it sounded on 14,000 dollar speakers and 600 dollar bookshelf speakers. I realize why people love it so much now. it was amazing. I heard the c326bee. I liked the Cambridge Audio amp also, but it sounded a little tinty bright, high pitched on the tweeters. I think that the Nad sounded better.

and what people you know "love" it so much ? please...
windwaves is offline  
post #12 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Member
 
rokbyter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Where's my popcorn?
rokbyter is offline  
post #13 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ryan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokbyter View Post

Where's my popcorn?

it's all in your head.
Ryan1 is offline  
post #14 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
Socketman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 65
i find it hard to believe that my 25w/channel fisher combo unit would make those 14g speakers sound as good as an upscale amp.
Socketman is offline  
post #15 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Member
 
rokbyter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post

it's all in your head.

That would explain the smell...
rokbyter is offline  
post #16 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
dean-l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Under a Moderator's Thumb
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

Well, there's some vocal people along those lines. I consider myself an agnostic in that particular sense. There's quite convincing evidence that people struggle to tell amps apart in blind testing.

I think the evidence is strong enough to assume, until proven otherwise, that amps are not worth spending a ton of money on. For example, a number of people seem quite content with affordable pro amps in their setup.

There's also some convincing claims about amps changing the sound in people's systems. Some people who come across as quite reasonable people, have changed their amp, and noted that they were unhappy with the sound after that point. It does seem that perhaps something changed. It has to be easier to tell a difference when you lived with one amp for years, then changed to another, then in a typical blind test.

I think some people go overboard with their attacks on people who feel amps sound different. There's no reason for aggressive attacks on people who are just trying to improve their sound.

That being said, some people on the other side of the camp make hard to believe assertions about how an amp purchase made a "night and day" difference.

I like to think that the truth is somewhere between the extremes of 'amps make a night and day difference' and 'all amps sound the same.'

Very good.

Moderator harassment is wrong and immoral.  
dean-l is offline  
post #17 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ryan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socketman View Post

i find it hard to believe that my 25w/channel fisher combo unit would make those 14g speakers sound as good as an upscale amp.

If the Fisher measures flat and there is no audible distortion or clipping, then sure, it will sound as good.

Some find it hard to believe that there aren't real people inside their TV, either....
Ryan1 is offline  
post #18 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
keyboardcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
the 14,000 dollar speakers were already playing On another amp when I walked in the store. The amp that was playing was a 4 or 5,000 dollar amp I think they said. I forget what brand. They just got the speakers in. I figured since some speakers were already hooked up I would ask to hear them on the Nad and Cambridge Audio amps. I wasn't sure how much the speakers cost at first until I asked. I wanted to like the Cambridge amp. It was cheaper then the Nad. I heard so many good things about Cambridge in reviews. I know that some people like the brand. It just wasn't for me. I couldn't get past the sound that it made with the highs. I asked if I could hear some Mordaunt short speakers. The sales person got the mezzos to hear.
keyboardcat is offline  
post #19 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 05:52 PM
 
runnin''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post

If the Fisher measures flat and there is no audible distortion or clipping, then sure, it will sound as good.

Some find it hard to believe that there aren't real people inside their TV, either....

You know what? You can't comment on sound qualities in this forum anymore. You get jumped on by some sound nazi telling you that you don't know what you're talking about because all amps/receivers sound the same, so have a nice warm glass of shut the hell up. Many threads that I've read end up in some variation of this stupid, pointless, endless insistance that all amps, all recievers, all brands, all price points are exactly the same.

I don't need some stranger telling me this every time I express myself.
runnin' is offline  
post #20 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chashint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
chashint is offline  
post #21 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WiWavelength's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

You get jumped on by some sound nazi telling you that you don't know what you're talking about because all amps/receivers sound the same...

Look at that -- a Godwin straw man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

...so have a nice warm glass of shut the hell up.

Is that the wrong response if someone argumentatively presents unsubstantiated perception as fact?

AJ
WiWavelength is offline  
post #22 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 07:07 PM
 
runnin''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Well, nazis think everyone wants to hear their opinions, and won't permit free thought.
runnin' is offline  
post #23 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Member
 
rokbyter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post

Look at that -- a Godwin straw man.



Is that the wrong response if someone argumentatively presents unsubstantiated perception as fact?

AJ

Since we're way off topic anyway - how would one substantiate perception exactly, eh?
rokbyter is offline  
post #24 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
Elmo C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean-l View Post

Oh Oh! You just declared war with the "All amps sound the same" crowd that dominates the AVS Forums.

What you MEANT to say is "room correction is the greatest thing EVER! ESPECIALLY Anthem's ARC."

I recommend searching for another

av forum

for slightly less monotone groupthink.


You are the hero of the day, throwing yourself on a grenade to save I the rest of us.It was nice knowing you, too bad you will now slandered into oblivion.
Elmo C is offline  
post #25 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by windwaves View Post

and what people you know "love" it so much ? please...

I do. My brother does. Enough for you :roll eyes:

I have the NAD receiver T775HD. Just love it for music and movies.
bommai is offline  
post #26 of 59 Old 05-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
Socketman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Socketman is offline  
post #27 of 59 Old 05-04-2012, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ryan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

You know what? You can't comment on sound qualities in this forum anymore. You get jumped on by some sound nazi telling you that you don't know what you're talking about because all amps/receivers sound the same, so have a nice warm glass of shut the hell up. Many threads that I've read end up in some variation of this stupid, pointless, endless insistance that all amps, all recievers, all brands, all price points are exactly the same.

I don't need some stranger telling me this every time I express myself.

Well, either provide some proof (something like the myriad blind tests provided in various threads), or else do indeed have "a nice warm glass" and do not mislead others.

"Golden ears" anecdotes from some store, where all it would take is for the one amp to be just a tad louder to appear "better," or for one label to be a bit shinier, do not count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socketman View Post

dont care ,

That's the spirit! Facts just get in the way, don't they?
Ryan1 is offline  
post #28 of 59 Old 05-04-2012, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,285
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Gee, I see a great deal on a NAD 356BEE amp for sale in the classified section.
commsysman is offline  
post #29 of 59 Old 05-04-2012, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
KidHorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Derwood, Maryland
Posts: 2,896
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 208

The problem with his test is the requirements to pass are impossible. You have to get 24 out of 24 guesses to be considered relevant. Plus, the amps are tweaked to make them sound similar. Something very few purchasers would do.

I think there are quality differences between amps, but the differences are subtle.

These tests are the holy grail of those who claim all amps sound the same. The intention of the tests were to demonstrate that the differences weren't huge. The test wasn't setup to demonstrate all amps sound the same.
KidHorn is offline  
post #30 of 59 Old 05-04-2012, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
KidHorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Derwood, Maryland
Posts: 2,896
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:


Well, either provide some proof (something like the myriad blind tests provided in various threads), or else do indeed have "a nice warm glass" and do not mislead others.

"Golden ears" anecdotes from some store, where all it would take is for the one amp to be just a tad louder to appear "better," or for one label to be a bit shinier, do not count.

I have provided links to tests that showed a high percentage of listeners preferred one amp or receiver over another in blind tests. All of the test were dismissed. It's a catch 22. The only valid tests are the ones that back ones point. If contrary evidence is shown, the test are, based on results, invalid.
KidHorn is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off