Marantz NR1403 and NR1603 Slim Line Receiver Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 791 Old 02-12-2013, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All right ! well lets keep on going :-) what cable you suggest and banana plugs and what type of it will fit both sides for the Marantz NR1403 and the 5.1 speakers from Monoprice ?

my shopping cart is getting big :-)

thanks a lot

whats the difference between the 12-14-16AWG ? ?

EDIT: I picked 100ft of 14 AWG cable and some close screw banana plug ! are these universal ? will they accept my 14 awg cable and will they fit in my receiver ?

so many questions !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 791 Old 02-13-2013, 01:51 AM

Thanks jdsmoothie, really appreciated!
post #273 of 791 Old 02-13-2013, 01:57 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimDuch View Post

All right ! well lets keep on going :-) what cable you suggest and banana plugs and what type of it will fit both sides for the Marantz NR1403 and the 5.1 speakers from Monoprice ?

my shopping cart is getting big :-)

thanks a lot

whats the difference between the 12-14-16AWG ? ?

EDIT: I picked 100ft of 14 AWG cable and some close screw banana plug ! are these universal ? will they accept my 14 awg cable and will they fit in my receiver ?

so many questions !!

The lower the AWG (eg. 12AWG) the thicker the cable. The Monoprice plugs will accept 14AWG speaker wire (as noted below) and will fit the AVR and speakers. Also be sure to review the instructions provided by Monoprice on how to correctly connect the speaker wire to the the banana plugs.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040115&p_id=2801&seq=1&format=2
SimDuch likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #274 of 791 Old 02-13-2013, 02:06 AM

Hi,

It's me again - I really appreciate all the advice I've been given on here, so thank you.

I do have another question.

I bought the NR1603 and some Monitor Audio BX2 speakers (as my previous surround sound 5.1 speakers weren't great) and am very happy with the sound. I do however want to gradually build back up from a 2.0 system to a 5.1 system.

For the next purchase I was thinking of getting Cambridge Audio Minx Min21 speakers as they are quite small and can fit on slim stands (space is a problem in my living room with an L shaped sofa). I would also get the Cambridge Audio Minx X200 Subwoofer.

1) Would the mix of Monitor Audio BX2 and Cambridge Audio Minx Min21 work, or would this sound bad?
2) Would a 4.1 system work on the NR1603, diverting the center speaker feed to the front left and right?
3) When I play Spotify will this be stereo or surround sound?

Again, thanks in advance for any responses!

Best regards

Nick
post #275 of 791 Old 02-13-2013, 02:18 AM
585-645-1006

1. It's generally better if the front 3 (ie. L/C/R) are from the same mfr, while doesn't matter as much with the surrounds.
2. Yup, although if TV/movie watching makes up most of your viewing, you're much better served with a center speaker of equal quality as the FL/FR speakers as 85% of the dialogue is sent to the center channel.
3. Depends on what surround mode is used as it can be Stereo (ie. STEREO) or surround (eg. DD PLII).

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #276 of 791 Old 02-13-2013, 02:20 AM

Thanks jdsmoothie (again!).

Yes, the Cambridge Audio speakers would be for the back right and left. Appreciate the advice!
post #277 of 791 Old 02-13-2013, 05:11 AM

Thanks jdsmoothie ! big up

S.
post #278 of 791 Old 02-14-2013, 06:15 AM

New question: I received my Monoprice 5.1 setup along with my Marantz 1403 ! the pre-out on the receiver has 1sub out (black) and both front left (white) and front right (red) out ! My sub has left and right in but no "sub" line like on the receiver... how do I connect this thing ?

cheers
post #279 of 791 Old 02-14-2013, 06:35 AM

Hi all

Found this thread searching for info about the NR1403 i am thinking about buying. I know very little about speakers and was hoping some more knowledgeable hifi person would be willing to help a little smile.gif

I currently use an old jamo avr-793 with my jamo d450 speaker. The speakers should be pretty good but don't really know about the AVR.

I am thinking about the NR1403 because its nice and small. I am changing the setup at home to include a new Intel NUC box running xbmc and would like a receiver with a HDMI in / output.

But the question is can the NR1403 power my fairly large D450 speakers.
As far as i can read from the thread the important stats to use on the speaker is Ohm and Sensitivity.

This is what i can find about them.
Impedance (Ohm) 4
Sensitivity (dB - 2,8V / 1m) 89
taken from http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/jamo/d450/prd_328100_1594crx.aspx

I am currently using just the 2 speakers in stereo, but also have a jamo d4sub in the garage and small speakers for surround, but haven't gotten around to fitting them into the setup, but some day.... smile.gif

Do you think the Marantz NR1403 will be able to power it?
post #280 of 791 Old 02-14-2013, 08:02 AM

Got my answer ! I need a splitter: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=6261&seq=1&format=4#feedback

thanks me ;-)
post #281 of 791 Old 02-15-2013, 06:33 AM

Liked: 18
post #282 of 791 Old 02-16-2013, 05:42 PM

I am currently considering the NR1403 to fit on a tight shelf since both the Samsung and Pioneer receivers I have don't fit.

The Pioneer VSX-1122K that I recently purchased has a fatal flaw - it won't do HDMI audio from a Computer, just video. I tried multiple computers with multiple video cards, and multiple HDMI cables - nothing I could do would get audio to work from a PC. (XBOX and DirecTV were fine). I've even updated to the latest firmware, that didn't help.

I don't care for the Samsung that much, but the HDMI input works with my computer. It still doesn't fit though.

So, my question:

Has anyone ever hooked up a Computer with HDMI (no SPDIF or anything) and gotten HDMI Video and Audio to work? This is 90% of what I would use it for, so if it doesn't work, it's a dealbreaker.

Thanks!

Greg
post #283 of 791 Old 02-17-2013, 06:14 AM

I don't think that has anything to do with the AVR. The AVR doesn't care where the signal is coming from (well as long as you have a good handshake anyway). Did you go into your audio playback devices and set the sound output to whatever option most looked like HDMI or AVR or something? The computer will only send sound to one device at a time and if it's already set to your soundcard then there will be no HDMI audio.
post #284 of 791 Old 02-17-2013, 06:56 AM

Yeah, I spent 2-4 hours on this. Since the Pioneer has heavily adjustable inputs, I kept it simple:

Pioneer
  • Xbox hooked up to HDMI 2.
  • Dolby Digital Sound and Video
  • Take cable out of XBOX, plug it into PC. Video works, no audio. PC actually says "no audio device plugged in" However, in the nVidia control panel, it sees the receiver identification. It's simply saying there is no audio stream.
  • I tried an Intel Graphics HDMI out as well as ATI, plus a second nVidia card. None worked. No audio device. Latest drivers in all cases.

Samsung
  • Xbox hooked up to HDMI 2
  • Dolby Digital Sound and Video
  • Take cable out of XBOX, plug it into PC. Video and audio works. Audio device recognized without any difficulty.

I saw one other thread on the internet where someone had the same problem, and they blamed Pioneer's HDMI handshaking, or something to that extent. I'm 100% confident with my research, so now I'm gun-shy at trusting other receivers. However, if someone can simply state that they've made PC-HDMI Video and Audio work through the NR1403, I'm probably sold on it! smile.gif

Greg
post #285 of 791 Old 02-17-2013, 10:54 AM

I connect my pc to my marantz all the time. I don't get any sound until I change the output sound device on the computer but it works fine.
post #286 of 791 Old 02-17-2013, 02:32 PM

Liked: 11
I have a couple questions, especially to jdsmoothie smile.gif, as follows:

I got a Denon 1713 for less than 2 weeks now, and pretty happy with it. My TV is a new Samsung 7100 series with HDMI2 marked as ARC, so that I let the receiver (I think) takes control of HDMI.

When watching TV OTA with a simple bowtie antenna, the audio comes from the TV, or more correctly from the OTA Dolby Digital. I can watch TV with the Denon 1713 OFF. However, when I press TV Audio button on the remote, it automatically turned ON the receiver, then I hear the wonderful Dolby Digital sound from my 5 speakers (no Sub).

Before you wonder how this has to do with this Marantz thread, here is the situation. Yesterday I picked up a 1603 from FS for 3 reasons: (i) it rarely went on sales, and (ii) my other "nice to have" need is the 2.1 pre-outs offered by the Marantz, and (iii) I still have the time to evaluate both, before returning one to FS (and that is a luxury in my book). This is something I never knew before, otherwise I would have picked up the 1403 over the 1713 (for a while anyway).

I set up the 1603, at first there was no audio or something I am not sure. Then I decided to update the firmware, and it took 30 minutes as warned, then it worked. The 1603 sounds very sweet with my -not very efficient tower speakers Paradigm 11seMk3, without using the pre-outs for FL & FR. With the external amp to drive the power hungry speakers, the audio quality and power satisfy my needs that I intend to keep the 1603, return the 1713

That said, there is a couple things I don't understand, first with the TV Audio button from the Marantz setup. When I watch OTA HDTV (yes, uncompressed and impressive) with the Marantz off, pressing the TV Audio button does not automatically turn the receiver ON. I have to turn On the receiver, then Dolby Digital comes up with ARC enabled.

What do you think I missed in the Marantz setup that may have prevented this auto turn ON? I am used to, or spoiled by the Denon "easy going" manner, kind of miss it now smile.gif

Secondly, the HDMI connections between the Blu-ray (perhaps of an older Samsung model bought in 2011?), many times it seems to me there is no connection at all. I checked the cable (1.4a w/ Ethernet), unplugged then plugged back, some time it did not work right away, until after a few tries. Do you guys have any HDMI issues with the 1603, any suggestions?

I may want to exchange the 1603 for another one to see if this problem persists, as I really want to keep it. Meanwhile knowledge from this forum is kindly requested.

TIA
post #287 of 791 Old 02-17-2013, 03:01 PM

I have my PC connected to my 1403, and I get video and sound. I do have to select the audio output on my PC ( Control Panel/Sound) I am using the HDMI out from my PC that is on my Graphics card. I use my 32" TV as a monitor through the 1403 video & sound.

Hope this helps...
post #288 of 791 Old 02-18-2013, 10:31 AM

Hey guys, great thread. I am buying a new AVR and I really like the Marantz line but may go for Denon, just not sure yet.

Looking for advice on what's best for me and my setup. I'm not an audiophile and honestly don't know what a lot of the technical stuff means....but I can tell good sound when I hear it . I'm debating between the Marantz 1403 & 1603 and the Denon 1613 & 1913. Looking for best sound, best video, Airplay isn't a necessity but it would be nice along with a USB so I can play music thru my Iphone or an MP3 player of some sort. I don't need any special internet options since my TV and Blu Ray have what I need. Ethernet would be nice for updates but I guess I can update it at a store somewhere (but not sure where I need to go..)Here is my setup:

Panasonic GT50 Plasma
Panasonic 3D Blu Ray
Center channel: Infinity Primus C25 - 150 watts
JBL Venue Arena Bookshelf speakers for Front A&B - 125 watts
Polk subwoofer 404 - 200 watt RMS amp
Bose surround 161 speakers - 100 watts
XBox 360
Time Warner Samsung DVR. I watch mostly HD channels with the occasional non-HD but the video signal is 1080i. Thinking about getting 3D added on but not sure how well the 3D is from the cable box as they only seem to output at 1080i. I want the best video quality I can get no matter what I'm watching.
Currently the setup is 5.1 but would like to expand to 7.1 at some point in the future.
It's all in a small living room about 12x12 size

I'm replacing an old Sony AVR that has been great but it doesn't even have HDMI's. I've recently bought the TV and Blu Ray so upgrading the AVR seems like it needs to happen very soon.

1.) Any difference between the Marantz and Denon models I listed pertaining to sound and video? With my TV, would there be any noticeable positives using any of these receivers mentioned by running the cable box thru the recievers or is my TV good enough on it's own?
2.) I'm planning on connecting all HDMI's to the AVR and then HDMI out to the GT50. Any issues with video by doing this? How about from 3D or regular Blu Ray from the Blu Ray box to the AVR? Or would Blu Ray be better off going to the TV with an optical cord from the TV to the AVR?
3.) In the opinion of the experts on here, is my speaker setup good enough for the receivers mentioned? Which receiver do you think this fits best?
4.) What if any differences is beneficial to me by going from the Marantz 1403 to the 1603 or the Devon 1613 to the 1913 as far as sound and video goes? Wouldn't mind saving the money but I'll pay the extra if it's worth it.

I've done research on all 4 receivers and I have a decent idea on the differences but before I purchase one, I'd love opinions on the questions I've asked. Thanks so much for your help, it's greatly appreciated. I'm not the smartest tool in the box when it comes to the technical side of things.
post #289 of 791 Old 02-18-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dta721 View Post

I have a couple questions, especially to jdsmoothie smile.gif, as follows:

I got a Denon 1713 for less than 2 weeks now, and pretty happy with it. My TV is a new Samsung 7100 series with HDMI2 marked as ARC, so that I let the receiver (I think) takes control of HDMI.

When watching TV OTA with a simple bowtie antenna, the audio comes from the TV, or more correctly from the OTA Dolby Digital. I can watch TV with the Denon 1713 OFF. However, when I press TV Audio button on the remote, it automatically turned ON the receiver, then I hear the wonderful Dolby Digital sound from my 5 speakers (no Sub).

Before you wonder how this has to do with this Marantz thread, here is the situation. Yesterday I picked up a 1603 from FS for 3 reasons: (i) it rarely went on sales, and (ii) my other "nice to have" need is the 2.1 pre-outs offered by the Marantz, and (iii) I still have the time to evaluate both, before returning one to FS (and that is a luxury in my book). This is something I never knew before, otherwise I would have picked up the 1403 over the 1713 (for a while anyway).

I set up the 1603, at first there was no audio or something I am not sure. Then I decided to update the firmware, and it took 30 minutes as warned, then it worked. The 1603 sounds very sweet with my -not very efficient tower speakers Paradigm 11seMk3, without using the pre-outs for FL & FR. With the external amp to drive the power hungry speakers, the audio quality and power satisfy my needs that I intend to keep the 1603, return the 1713

That said, there is a couple things I don't understand, first with the TV Audio button from the Marantz setup. When I watch OTA HDTV (yes, uncompressed and impressive) with the Marantz off, pressing the TV Audio button does not automatically turn the receiver ON. I have to turn On the receiver, then Dolby Digital comes up with ARC enabled.

What do you think I missed in the Marantz setup that may have prevented this auto turn ON? I am used to, or spoiled by the Denon "easy going" manner, kind of miss it now smile.gif

Secondly, the HDMI connections between the Blu-ray (perhaps of an older Samsung model bought in 2011?), many times it seems to me there is no connection at all. I checked the cable (1.4a w/ Ethernet), unplugged then plugged back, some time it did not work right away, until after a few tries. Do you guys have any HDMI issues with the 1603, any suggestions?

I may want to exchange the 1603 for another one to see if this problem persists, as I really want to keep it. Meanwhile knowledge from this forum is kindly requested.

TIA

It sounds like you just have to turn on HDMI control with the new receiver. Just find something that says CEC or hdmi control and turn it on. The two components have to be turned on after the CEC is set because after the change only updates during the handshake.

For your second, HDMI cables do wear out. The connections anyway, esp if you pull them out a lot. I've had to replace a few now.
post #290 of 791 Old 02-19-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tme110 View Post

It sounds like you just have to turn on HDMI control with the new receiver. Just find something that says CEC or hdmi control and turn it on. The two components have to be turned on after the CEC is set because after the change only updates during the handshake.

For your second, HDMI cables do wear out. The connections anyway, esp if you pull them out a lot. I've had to replace a few now.

Thanks tme110 for your feedback!

As much as I hate replying to my own post - I think I found an answer, though not trying it out yet when reading the manual this morning.

Up until last night I had no clue, still was not able to turn on the 1603 by pressing TV audio button on the remote. The reasons can be one or all of the following:

- in the process of evaluating the audio performance of the 2 (D) 1713 and (M) 1603, I had to power the receiver off, removed the HDMI cables (TV ARC and Blu-Ray, also CBL/SAT), in addition to the speaker banana plugs for the 5 channels. I do feel that after 3, 4 insertions/removal, the HDMI connections at the receiver seems not a snugfly fit as compared to its original connection. If indeed a HDMI cable went bad, it could have caused HDMI control not working completely! That said, I still think, or hope a cable connector is more robust than that, after a dozen insertions/removals, it may be the case. But then, HDMI connectors may not be designed for frequent disconnect? I can still get a new HDMI cable to try, but first need to sure it is NOT something else.

- This something else can be just user's ignorance smile.gif, as I may have found the real reason, just need to be verified. 1603 manual pp. 88-89 suggests when there is a change to the connection between the devices (as I unplugged the 1603 and plugged it back during eval), the interlocking function may be reset. In which case, reset step 2 and 3.

That said, I did verify enabling HDMI controls on both TV and receiver: HDMI Control to "On", Power Off Control to "All", still not able to turn On 1603 with the TV Audio command.

There is one more thing: set "Power Off Control" to Video, as that seems to be the last thing to try?!

Stay tuned...
post #291 of 791 Old 02-19-2013, 06:20 PM

Can you tell me what volume level you normally have to set for watching TV with the BX2s? I'm thinking of pairing these exact ones plus the centre with the 1603 as they seem quite sensitive on spec (plus a good sound) which will replace some old bookshelf speakers I used to get going with the 1603. I suspect my current ones are fairly insensitive because I find normal TV listening is about 45-50 on the volume scale.
post #292 of 791 Old 02-20-2013, 08:05 PM
585-645-1006

Note that after running Audyssey, normal listening volume for most sources with most speakers will be 50-60 and higher for movies.

"JD" –

post #293 of 791 Old 02-21-2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coostix View Post

Can you tell me what volume level you normally have to set for watching TV with the BX2s? I'm thinking of pairing these exact ones plus the centre with the 1603 as they seem quite sensitive on spec (plus a good sound) which will replace some old bookshelf speakers I used to get going with the 1603. I suspect my current ones are fairly insensitive because I find normal TV listening is about 45-50 on the volume scale.

Hi there,

I've got the NR1603 set up with the BX2's (would highly recommend!). The volume is normally at about 40-45 for watching TV and maybe up to 50 for movies. When listening to music I sometimes get it up to about 55, but anything above that is very loud. I've taken it to 65, but you wouldn't be able to hear someone standing 2 feet away from you.

Hope that helps.

Nick
post #294 of 791 Old 02-21-2013, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Note that after running Audyssey, normal listening volume for most sources with most speakers will be 50-60 and higher for movies.

Hmm coming from hifi I was concerned about going above 50 (halfway). Sounds like you consider this fairly normal though.
post #295 of 791 Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:

...- This something else can be just user's ignorance smile.gif, as I may have found the real reason, just need to be verified. 1603 manual pp. 88-89 suggests when there is a change to the connection between the devices (as I unplugged the 1603 and plugged it back during eval), the interlocking function may be reset. In which case, reset step 2 and 3.

That said, I did verify enabling HDMI controls on both TV and receiver: HDMI Control to "On", Power Off Control to "All", still not able to turn On 1603 with the TV Audio command.

There is one more thing: set "Power Off Control" to Video, as that seems to be the last thing to try?!

I am at my wit's end frown.gif as the 1603 will not automatically switches itself ON after this and other attempts suggested in this forum (denon avrxxx12 owner thread, troubleshooting section). When I reverted back to previous set up with the D 1713, pressing TV Audio automatically switches the AVR to ON! Sweet!

It seems Marantz implements HDMI CEC control differently from its cousin Denon, for some reasons, in the same setup with a Samsung TV (even with its latest firmware).

Then, just about when I wanted to switch back to the Marantz setup, something happened that points to a possible HDMI cable/connection problem: Black screen (TV) with (AVR) audio only, when playing Blu-ray (just want to verify how much improvement provided by the 1603's up conversion feature on a SD movie, as the 1713 does not have this feature).

All symptoms point to bad HDMI connection(s), most like of the cables (between AVR and TV, and/or AVR and Blu-ray?), not surviving the "evaluation" process. Luckily when I called Canada Computers, where those iCan HDMMI cables were bought, they have 3 year warranty and the store will exchange for new ones!
post #296 of 791 Old 02-21-2013, 05:31 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by coostix View Post

Hmm coming from hifi I was concerned about going above 50 (halfway). Sounds like you consider this fairly normal though.

Indeed as most modern AVRs use a logarithmic scale where volume barely is heard much below 50.

"JD" –

post #297 of 791 Old 02-22-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:

I am at my wit's end frown.gif as the 1603 will not automatically switches itself ON after this and other attempts suggested in this forum (denon avrxxx12 owner thread, troubleshooting section). When I reverted back to previous set up with the D 1713, pressing TV Audio automatically switches the AVR to ON! Sweet!

It seems Marantz implements HDMI CEC control differently from its cousin Denon, for some reasons, in the same setup with a Samsung TV (even with its latest firmware).

Then, just about when I wanted to switch back to the Marantz setup, something happened that points to a possible HDMI cable/connection problem: Black screen (TV) with (AVR) audio only, when playing Blu-ray (just want to verify how much improvement provided by the 1603's up conversion feature on a SD movie, as the 1713 does not have this feature).

All symptoms point to bad HDMI connection(s), most like of the cables (between AVR and TV, and/or AVR and Blu-ray?), not surviving the "evaluation" process. Luckily when I called Canada Computers, where those iCan HDMMI cables were bought, they have 3 year warranty and the store will exchange for new ones!

I don't think this is a case of HDMI-CEC. Pressing the "TV Audio" button will change your input source, just like how pressing "Blu-ray" will select your blu-ray player as your audio/video source. "TV Audio" will simply engage HDMI ARC as your input source.

Perhaps there's a difference in power-on behavior between Denon and Marantz. For the Denon, maybe selecting any input (while the receiver is off) will turn it on.. try it with another input besides "TV Audio", it may power-on regardless. Whereas, the Marantz won't power-on with an input selection. This is just my theory of course. Let us know your findings.
post #298 of 791 Old 02-22-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zone555 View Post

I don't think this is a case of HDMI-CEC. Pressing the "TV Audio" button will change your input source, just like how pressing "Blu-ray" will select your blu-ray player as your audio/video source. "TV Audio" will simply engage HDMI ARC as your input source.

Perhaps there's a difference in power-on behavior between Denon and Marantz. For the Denon, maybe selecting any input (while the receiver is off) will turn it on.. try it with another input besides "TV Audio", it may power-on regardless. Whereas, the Marantz won't power-on with an input selection. This is just my theory of course. Let us know your findings.

I must admit my expectation could be too much for HDMI CEC control, simply because it works with the Denon 1713 does not mean this is what it should work with other AVRs. By chance I found a Marantz dealership who gave me the Marantz tech support number in Toronto to call for any further. But then. I just have to get over it smile.gif, pressing another button is not worth the time and energy?

As an unexpected twist, I now ordered a SR5007 when I was able to negotiate a pretty good deal with a local dealer for it, expect to receive next week some time. Whether its TV Audio feature works the same as the 1713 or not would not raise any eyebrow, as I think I found my holy grail smile.gif!
post #299 of 791 Old 02-23-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakky View Post

Hey guys, great thread. I am buying a new AVR and I really like the Marantz line but may go for Denon, just not sure yet.

Looking for advice on what's best for me and my setup. I'm not an audiophile and honestly don't know what a lot of the technical stuff means....but I can tell good sound when I hear it . I'm debating between the Marantz 1403 & 1603 and the Denon 1613 & 1913. Looking for best sound, best video, Airplay isn't a necessity but it would be nice along with a USB so I can play music thru my Iphone or an MP3 player of some sort. I don't need any special internet options since my TV and Blu Ray have what I need. Ethernet would be nice for updates but I guess I can update it at a store somewhere (but not sure where I need to go..)Here is my setup:

Panasonic GT50 Plasma
Panasonic 3D Blu Ray
Center channel: Infinity Primus C25 - 150 watts
JBL Venue Arena Bookshelf speakers for Front A&B - 125 watts
Polk subwoofer 404 - 200 watt RMS amp
Bose surround 161 speakers - 100 watts
XBox 360
Time Warner Samsung DVR. I watch mostly HD channels with the occasional non-HD but the video signal is 1080i. Thinking about getting 3D added on but not sure how well the 3D is from the cable box as they only seem to output at 1080i. I want the best video quality I can get no matter what I'm watching.
Currently the setup is 5.1 but would like to expand to 7.1 at some point in the future.
It's all in a small living room about 12x12 size

I'm replacing an old Sony AVR that has been great but it doesn't even have HDMI's. I've recently bought the TV and Blu Ray so upgrading the AVR seems like it needs to happen very soon.

1.) Any difference between the Marantz and Denon models I listed pertaining to sound and video? With my TV, would there be any noticeable positives using any of these receivers mentioned by running the cable box thru the recievers or is my TV good enough on it's own?
2.) I'm planning on connecting all HDMI's to the AVR and then HDMI out to the GT50. Any issues with video by doing this? How about from 3D or regular Blu Ray from the Blu Ray box to the AVR? Or would Blu Ray be better off going to the TV with an optical cord from the TV to the AVR?
3.) In the opinion of the experts on here, is my speaker setup good enough for the receivers mentioned? Which receiver do you think this fits best?
4.) What if any differences is beneficial to me by going from the Marantz 1403 to the 1603 or the Devon 1613 to the 1913 as far as sound and video goes? Wouldn't mind saving the money but I'll pay the extra if it's worth it.

I've done research on all 4 receivers and I have a decent idea on the differences but before I purchase one, I'd love opinions on the questions I've asked. Thanks so much for your help, it's greatly appreciated. I'm not the smartest tool in the box when it comes to the technical side of things.

I got lucky and was able to do this just yesterday. I'm in the same boat as you, replacing a yamaha rxv559, went to a local best buy with 2 cd's and was able to use the magnolia room by myself. I tested the 1403 and the denon 1713 side by side. I listen to mostly jazz, and brought a vocal and small jazz group cd with me. The sound on both was very good, and it may come to personal preference, but I found the 1403 to have more warmth, just a better overall sound that brought the entirety of the music together very smoothly. The acoustic bass sound was outstanding, and the clarity of the highs and lows was also very, very good. The Denon seemed to have a little more separation in the sound, a colder, more edgy and less cohesive quality to the music. But I'm really splitting hairs, they were both very good.

Now if the 1403 would only go on sale, again, I seemed to have missed it a couple of weeks ago before I started looking!
post #300 of 791 Old 02-23-2013, 12:36 PM
585-645-1006

Also keep in mind the 1713 uses the more advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ XT which was not active during your BB/Magnolia demo.

"JD" –

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Nr1403 Slim Line Av Receiver , Marantz Nr1603 Slim Line Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr1403 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page