Marantz NR1403 and NR1603 Slim Line Receiver Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Marantz NR1403 and NR1603 Slim Line Receiver Thread

Receivers, Amps, and Processors

jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie
04:12 AM Liked: 1754
post #451 of 803
05-13-2013 | Posts: 46,572
As you note, you can use the wireless headphones with an AVR that has either Zone 2 pre-outs (1604) or an analog ouput or you can connect the devices to the TV and then connect the headphones to the TV.
chaggie's Avatar chaggie
07:45 PM Liked: 10
post #452 of 803
05-13-2013 | Posts: 4
Thank you, the redmere cables worked, I can now see MOST of the settings on the TV, I can watch the PVR and DVD, but, it always seems like another issue, it is not showing the receiver functions on the tv it just goes black with none of the icons. for instance trying to setup the network I can here it switch and can manage some things by feel but the screen is black.
captaincommit's Avatar captaincommit
05:36 PM Liked: 10
post #453 of 803
05-16-2013 | Posts: 2
I am thinking of buying the marantz 1603. I have a 5.1 system with monitor audio bronze bx speakers. The 1603 has all the functionality that I desire and I love the slim, understated look. The power is what concerns me. While most of the time i will be watching movies and listening to music at modest levels, I would like to have the capability of listening to music in 2 ch stereo mode with the bx5's and annoy my neighbors every once in a while. Is this possible with 50 watts of power? Would bi-amping the bx5's using the spare channels help?

Thanks for any replies
05:40 PM Liked: 1754
post #454 of 803
05-16-2013 | Posts: 46,572
Moderate levels should be fine and while bi-amping will provide no real benefit, the 1603 has FL/FR pre-outs to add an external amp if necessary.
captaincommit's Avatar captaincommit
06:13 PM Liked: 10
post #455 of 803
05-16-2013 | Posts: 2
Thanks JDSmoothie. Any suggestions for a reasonably priced 100-125 watt 2 channel amp?
05:58 PM Liked: 1754
post #456 of 803
05-17-2013 | Posts: 46,572
No, but you may not need one. smile.gif
tme110's Avatar tme110
07:31 AM Liked: 18
post #457 of 803
05-20-2013 | Posts: 206
look at emotiva
JJC1138's Avatar JJC1138
01:41 PM Liked: 10
post #458 of 803
05-25-2013 | Posts: 4
Hello. I've just got a NR1603 and I'm delighted with it except for one thing, which is that it's a bit noisy when in the "IP Control" network standby mode. It makes a constant high-pitched 'whistling' sound, which isn't very loud, but it's noticeable when everything else is quiet (unfortunately the amp is in my bedroom). It's definitely louder than the very faint noise that the amp makes when it's switched on. If I switch the IP Control option to "Off In Standby" then standby is extremely quiet.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask if that's normal? Does everyone else's NR1603 make the same noise in network standby mode? I'm in the UK, so I have the 230V version of the amp, just in case that's relevant.
kronic007's Avatar kronic007
05:09 PM Liked: 10
post #459 of 803
05-26-2013 | Posts: 3
I am having kind of an issue. Is it normal the marantz is showing "Multi In" when I play a Blu-ray ? Sound is supposed to be DTS...

When I push status on the receiver it says sound signal mode is pcm..

It is connected with a HDMI wire and audio is set to hdmi.

Thanks for helping
fordf250's Avatar fordf250
05:38 PM Liked: 12
post #460 of 803
05-26-2013 | Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronic007 View Post

I am having kind of an issue. Is it normal the marantz is showing "Multi In" when I play a Blu-ray ? Sound is supposed to be DTS...

When I push status on the receiver it says sound signal mode is pcm..

It is connected with a HDMI wire and audio is set to hdmi.

Thanks for helping[/quote
The sound is indeed DTS-the bluray player is doing the decoding (LPCM). You will have to set the Bluray player to send "Bitstream"-this will allow the Marantz to decode and signal DTS. When a DVD/Bluray unit does the decoding, the AVR receives it as "Multi Channel In".

McGowdog's Avatar McGowdog
10:12 PM Liked: 10
post #461 of 803
05-29-2013 | Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

I just got the Marantz 1403 yesterday and once I had it set up, I turned it on and the TV came on, I had sound along with a good picture, and it just worked right away and was so simple.

I listened to it a bit today and played with it and was impressed with the sound. It was plenty loud, but I was really cranking the volume to the limit, so I broke down and hooked my Kenwood L-09Ms up just to tighten it up a bit.

So I got that and I got a Meadowlark Swan for a center channel.

It's coming along. I'd like to find some Meadowlarks to use for my rear channels.
Marshallv's Avatar Marshallv
07:42 AM Liked: 10
post #462 of 803
06-06-2013 | Posts: 4
accidentally started a new thread with this instead of posting here...

Hello all,

I just purchased a 1603 and have it set up as follows - Cablebox & Apple TV connected via HDMI to 1603, 1603 to TV via single HDMI. Zone 1 speakers - 3.1 setup working fine. Zone 2 speakers - 2 Def.Tech patio speakers on deck. DO NOT have 1603 hardwired into home network at this point. I am able to airplay via apple TV to the TV but not really sure if the apple TV will eliminate the need for me to direct connect to the net work.(??)

Although i'm still trying to figure out a lot of nuances, the main problem i'm running into is on the playback in zone 2. When i'm in zone 2 and trying to select a source, it won't let me play from the apple tv or even the main tv. There's actually a note on page 95 of the manual that says zone 2 can't be played from a digital source such as HDMI, etc. only analog. That just makes no sense to me that they'd build this to only play analog through one of the zones. Does this mean the only things i can play from zone 2 is basically usb plugging my ipod into the front of the receiver?

I hope that makes sense. At the end of the day i'm simply trying to airplay tunes from my iphone on the patio [zone2] and was hoping to be able to do it via the apple tv.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Marshall
klevy's Avatar klevy
01:54 PM Liked: 10
post #463 of 803
06-06-2013 | Posts: 1
Marshall -

I have the exact same concerns. Like you, I agree that this makes absolutely no sense at all. I hope there is a work-around.

Ken
03:10 PM Liked: 1754
post #464 of 803
06-06-2013 | Posts: 46,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshallv View Post

accidentally started a new thread with this instead of posting here...

Hello all,

I just purchased a 1603 and have it set up as follows - Cablebox & Apple TV connected via HDMI to 1603, 1603 to TV via single HDMI. Zone 1 speakers - 3.1 setup working fine. Zone 2 speakers - 2 Def.Tech patio speakers on deck. DO NOT have 1603 hardwired into home network at this point. I am able to airplay via apple TV to the TV but not really sure if the apple TV will eliminate the need for me to direct connect to the net work.(??)

Although i'm still trying to figure out a lot of nuances, the main problem i'm running into is on the playback in zone 2. When i'm in zone 2 and trying to select a source, it won't let me play from the apple tv or even the main tv. There's actually a note on page 95 of the manual that says zone 2 can't be played from a digital source such as HDMI, etc. only analog. That just makes no sense to me that they'd build this to only play analog through one of the zones. Does this mean the only things i can play from zone 2 is basically usb plugging my ipod into the front of the receiver?

I hope that makes sense. At the end of the day i'm simply trying to airplay tunes from my iphone on the patio [zone2] and was hoping to be able to do it via the apple tv.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Marshall

This is the case for 95%+ of all AVRs on the market today. Note that the FM Tuner, internet radio and on board Airplay will pass to Zone 2 as well. Simply connect an analog cable in addition to the HDMI cable and you should be good to go. For the Apple TV, connect an optical cable to an optical--> analog converter first.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=6884&seq=1&format=2
canadatoque's Avatar canadatoque
04:31 PM Liked: 10
post #465 of 803
06-10-2013 | Posts: 3
I got a Marantx NR1403 about two weeks ago and while I'm happy with it overall, I've been having an issue with my turntable; I have my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon going in through the CD inputs, with a Graham Slee Special Edition Gram Amp 2 pre-amp and some Castle speakers, and I'm getting a lot of surface noise. There's noise when I turn on the turntable, and even more when I open the lid - though usually by the end of the side it seems to have gone away. I thought maybe it was a grounding issue but I'm not really sure; I never had this problem with my old Pioneer stereo, so any suggestions?

Thanks!
04:46 PM Liked: 1754
post #466 of 803
06-10-2013 | Posts: 46,572
If the turntable has a grounding wire, try connecting it to one of the cover screws on the AVR.
04:54 PM Liked: 10
post #467 of 803
06-10-2013 | Posts: 3
The turntable grounding wire is connected to the Graham Slee, which has a special spot for it. I re-tightened it after I switched receivers, since I thought that might be the problem, but it didn't seem to change anything.
05:09 PM Liked: 1754
post #468 of 803
06-10-2013 | Posts: 46,572
Try connecting the ground to one of the AVR's cover screws to see if that makes a difference or disconnect the pre-amp and connect the turntable directly to the AVR to see if the pre-amp is causing the issue.
09:38 AM Liked: 10
post #469 of 803
06-11-2013 | Posts: 3
I tightened the grounding with a wrench and it's slightly better, but still an issue. It's strangely inconsistent so it's hard to pinpoint why it's doing that.
04:10 AM Liked: 1754
post #470 of 803
06-13-2013 | Posts: 46,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevchris View Post

We have a Marantz NR1603 av receiver, MySky HD STB, Denon DVD and JVC TV. I have everything connected via HDMI cables and it all works perfectly.
I am now trying to setup Apple TV but I can only get audio but no video. I have tested ATV on our TV in our bedroom and it works fine so I know it is not the ATV unit.
I have tried plugging it into various inputs on the receiver , game, media player , aux and on all of them I get audio but no video. I am puzzled as to why I cannot get video.
Is there something different you need to do for ATV setup?mad.gif
Thank you

Nope. It should just work. Try resetting the microprocessor (p. 154 OM) after using the Web Control feature (pp. 90-91) to SAVE the config file to a PC.
03:51 AM Liked: 1754
post #471 of 803
06-14-2013 | Posts: 46,572
Quote:

Thank you. I have just tried resetting the microprocessor but this has not helped. Would a firmware update help? Could it be a HDPC compatibility issue or is this unlikely as the ATV will work if plugged directly into a TV but not work when plugged into the AV receiver. Thanks again, Bev

Quote:

Just a thought, could the fact that we run our HDMI over Cat5 have any bearing on the problem? Thanks Bev

Possibly. Connect the TV to the AVR with a shorter (ie. 6') HDMI cable to confirm if it's a signal strength issue. If yes, Monoprice sells HDMI extenders.
sublimerocks86's Avatar sublimerocks86
10:46 AM Liked: 10
post #472 of 803
06-15-2013 | Posts: 35
Hello everyone,

I'm brand new to the forum and I'm loving my 1603. It's an amazing reciever. I'm looking to upgrade my speakers and I'm thinking of going B+W 684 towers up front but I hesitate to do so due to my distaste for their centers.

I used to drive a Toyota with a JBL system in it, and have heard JBL systems in a number of places but not home audio.

I guess my questions are a few. I have attempted to search for them, but there wasn't any real answers. First off, can the Marantz power the JBL ES series? Second, are they worth even looking at compared to the B+W? Third, I know for timbre matching you should match the center but as I mentioned, I hate B+W centers...is there a similar brand I can match?

Thanks very much for everyone's help!
10:57 AM Liked: 1754
post #473 of 803
06-15-2013 | Posts: 46,572
The Marantz should be able to power any 6 or 8 ohm speakers reasonably well although for specific speaker questions you would be better served posting in the Speakers forum.
sublimerocks86's Avatar sublimerocks86
11:27 AM Liked: 10
post #474 of 803
06-15-2013 | Posts: 35
Thanks very much, I was unaware which was better. In the future I'll be sure to do that. It's really impressive though that for a small receiver in size, it packs quite a punch.
zibanez's Avatar zibanez
07:05 AM Liked: 12
post #475 of 803
06-17-2013 | Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimerocks86 View Post

Hello everyone,

I'm brand new to the forum and I'm loving my 1603. It's an amazing reciever. I'm looking to upgrade my speakers and I'm thinking of going B+W 684 towers up front but I hesitate to do so due to my distaste for their centers.

I used to drive a Toyota with a JBL system in it, and have heard JBL systems in a number of places but not home audio.

I guess my questions are a few. I have attempted to search for them, but there wasn't any real answers. First off, can the Marantz power the JBL ES series? Second, are they worth even looking at compared to the B+W? Third, I know for timbre matching you should match the center but as I mentioned, I hate B+W centers...is there a similar brand I can match?

Thanks very much for everyone's help!

1. yes, jbl es have high sensitivity and 8 ohm impedance
2. depend on your ears
3. try jbl center
bevchris's Avatar bevchris
10:38 PM Liked: 10
post #476 of 803
06-17-2013 | Posts: 4
Just to let you know, installing a new extender has worked and it is all working now. Our old extender was a few years old. Thank you:)
Poncho Moran's Avatar Poncho Moran
05:46 PM Liked: 10
post #477 of 803
06-24-2013 | Posts: 13
I was looking to replace my old Sony STR2000ES because it gave up with Dolby signals,

I went to Magnolia in Best buy yesterday and they had the 1403 on sale for $349, and the 1603 for $419. I should have probably gone for the 1603, but even with the small difference, I don’t need the network connection, the analog to digital conversion or the USB input, so I would have just wasted 70 dollars. So I bought the 1403 instead.

I liked these because of the size. It fits perfectly where my old receiver was, and anything else that I had my eye on would have had to be positioned somewhere else, and would have looked bad.

So, I got home, connected everything, ran the setup, calibrated the speakers with the audyssey, and I love the way they sound, what a difference from my 11 year old unit (it was obvious, but I was still surprised how much of a difference). And I love the way t looks.

The salesman in BestBuy advised me not to get this AVR since my speakers are big (I have Infinity Kappas for the front and center, 6 ohms, 89db). I said I will try them and see what happens. I honestly don’t think there is a problem. But what do you guys think?

I watched movies and TV last night, and first when it was not too late, the normal listening volume was at about 70-75, I tried something loud and 87-92 was pretty loud for intense movie watching. When it got late, and it was all quiet, I could listen very well at 62-65. My question is: Is this normal or am I pushing it too much? Is this just because the receiver is not as powerful, and those are perfectly normal volume levels? And more importantly, can my speakers handle it ok at those levels without any problems?

From what I tested yesterday, I‘d say I will be using between 65 and 75, most of the time.

Please advise me. I have 14 days to return it, and also somebody is selling me a used Marantz 5005 for $300, so I wonder if I should just get that one. What do you think?

Thanks !
08:50 PM Liked: 1754
post #478 of 803
06-24-2013 | Posts: 46,572
To ensure there is still enough headroom for the peaks at louder volume levels, generally you don't want to push the AVR much above reference level (ie. 80), however, if you don't hear any distortion coming from the speakers at the > 80 levels, then you should be fine with the 1403. If you do notice distortion, simply back the volume down, although confirm whether you really notice any difference in volume going above 80 and if not, then set the "Volume Limit" (p. 61) setting to 80 to ensure you don't raise it above that level. The 5005 is a 3 year old model and although is 100W would only buy you another 3db in volume.
Poncho Moran's Avatar Poncho Moran
04:31 PM Liked: 10
post #479 of 803
06-26-2013 | Posts: 13
JDSmoothie, thanks for your input. I actually was worried because I heard some distortion at loud (not even too loud) levels, not a lot, but definitely not a really clean sound.
So, I found the Onkyo NR626 on sale last night for 429, and I just went ahead I got it.
I tested it yesterday and, what a difference in power. Definitely much more punch, cleanliness at loud volumes and overall performance.
I know Marantz is probably a better sound, but this one just impressed me big time.
It has a lot of bells and whistles that I probably will never use, but who knows. And just the fact that I was going to have to buy eventually an HDMI splitter anyway (to send to the TV and the projector), and this AVR has two HDMI outputs already, it made up for the extra 70 dollars I spent, and all is done in the receiver, no external splitting.
Anyway, let's see how it goes, I'll keep testing it and hopefully won't be disappointed, so far, no complaints.
As far as the 1403, it is a good looking sexy piece of equipment. It has amazing sound, and a good enough number of functions, but I don't think it is ideal for the size of my room where I'll be using it (23' x 25'), it is definitely for much smaller rooms.
djlman's Avatar djlman
05:27 PM Liked: 10
post #480 of 803
06-27-2013 | Posts: 7
Hi, I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if these problems have been mentioned before.

Firstly, I have the Marantz NR1603 and am trying to connect a Sony BDP-S373 blu-ray to it but cannot get any picture or sound from it when going through the amp via HDMI. The blu-ray works fine when plugging straight to the TV via HDMI - any suggestions here? The blu-ray player is fully up to date as is the NR1603.

Secondly, I have a PS3 that is also connected via HDMI. The problem here is that the audio from the PS3 is either MULTI IN, or STEREO; I can't seem to get anything else even by changing the sound mode on the amp. Does anyone know the correct settings for the PS3 and/or the NR1603 to get this working correctly?

Thanks again for you help in advance! smile.gif
Tags: Marantz Nr1403 Slim Line Av Receiver , Marantz Nr1603 Slim Line Av Receiver

Gear in this thread - Nr1403 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Subscribe to this Thread