post #541 of 798 Old 10-04-2013, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Greyed out options mean they do not apply to the surround mode you currently have selected. Select a surround mode that uses the center channel.
You are a great help. Really know ur stuff inside out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 798 Old 10-05-2013, 03:14 AM

Liked: 12
Hi JD, If i change speakers crossover value, will it affect in direct mode? FYI , i'm using exterenal amp and assigned it to front

Bedroom theater
Dynaudio DM 2/6 - Dynaudio DM Center - Def tech pro monitor 600 - Def Tech Prosub 600 - Marantz NR1402 - Bantam Gold Power Amp - Clark Synthesis tst 239 - Dune H1 - PS3
post #543 of 798 Old 10-05-2013, 06:08 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1868 Post(s)
Liked: 1725
If the FL/FR speakers are set to SMALL/80Hz (as is recommended), then no as there is no bass management in DIRECT mode as the speakers would be treated as LARGE. For the crossover to be in effect with DIRECT mode, you would have to set the sub to LFE+MAIN (which is not recommended).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #544 of 798 Old 10-05-2013, 08:22 AM

thanks for the info, btw i've got another questions.

if i increase channel level for front LR and i'am using ext amp for front speakers. Let say i set the value to +10. Is it pushing the external amp or avr amp?

Bedroom theater
Dynaudio DM 2/6 - Dynaudio DM Center - Def tech pro monitor 600 - Def Tech Prosub 600 - Marantz NR1402 - Bantam Gold Power Amp - Clark Synthesis tst 239 - Dune H1 - PS3
post #545 of 798 Old 10-05-2013, 09:07 AM
585-645-1006

External amp. Unless the speakers are connected to the speaker posts on the AVR, the AVR's amps are not being used.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #546 of 798 Old 10-07-2013, 02:07 AM

thanks jd

Bedroom theater
post #547 of 798 Old 10-11-2013, 03:50 PM

Follow up to September update breaking Airplay.

No luck with the soft reset. Have also tried a microprocessor reset with no luck also.

I thought it may have something to do with iOS 7, but my MacBook that has not had a recent update can't see the amplifier either.

Very frustrating, as this is one of the reasons I bought the Marantz. frown.gif

System components:
Marantz NR1603 AV Amplifier
Bose Lifestyle 15 Speakers
Sony BDP-S373 blu-ray
Apple TV, 3rd Generation
HUMAX youview PVR
Sony Playstation 3, 3rd Generation
Nintendo Wii
post #548 of 798 Old 10-13-2013, 11:02 AM

Liked: 11
Hello crew,

I'm looking to upgrade my marantz 6003 to one of the slim lines (potentially)

I had a question, can you watch one source and listen to another via hdmi, or any other method? Right now I have my computer connected via optical and it allows me to listen to music while watch tv. It's kind of a workaround rather than a feature, and somehow it works.

If that doesn't, can you listen to airplay while watch a different source via hdmi? This would almost be better.

Thanks for any help!

_______
~ Joe
post #549 of 798 Old 10-14-2013, 11:48 AM

Hi all,

I purchased a NR1403 last month and have been very happy with it, except for a recent issue with the center channel audio from Netflix streaming on the PS3. When the Netflix app is set to output audio in Dolby Digital Plus format, the center (dialogue) channel has a sound that I would describe as "warbling" or "clipping". This is most noticeable on "ess" syllables in the dialogue, particularly at higher volume; if the problem is present in channels other than the center I haven't been able to hear it. I was intiially prepared to chalk this up to poor compression on Netflix's end, but I did find another post on the forums describing an identical issue with a different Marantz product:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1420942/marantz-sr7007-av-receiver-owners-thread/480#post_23283269

Depending on the particular program being streamed, I can sometimes resolve the issue by disabling Dolby Digital Plus output on the PS3, forcing it to fall back to regular DD output. This doesn't always fix the problem though. I've been unable to replicate the problem outside of Netflix, but then I also don't have immediate access to other DDP sources. Everything else appears to be working great - no problems with Netflix stereo encoding, Blu-rays, games, etc.

Any thoughts?
post #550 of 798 Old 10-16-2013, 12:10 PM

Hey everyone-

Just bought the 1403 along with Energy 5.1 Take Classics to go along with my Samsung UN60F8000. Ready to blow the wife and neighbors away. Lol
Anyway, my question was what is the best way to set up the speakers for sound? Do you recommend hooking up all components (STB, PS3, etc..) to Television then have one optical out to receiver or vice versa? To be honest with you this is my first time hooking up a 5.1 surround sound system and could use some help. I don't want to have to give Geek Squad a call. Haha
Thanks!
post #551 of 798 Old 10-16-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Do you recommend hooking up all components (STB, PS3, etc..) to Television then have one optical out to receiver or vice versa?

That would be the worst way because your audio will likely be limited 2 channel stereo coming from the TV optical out.

Connect all your devices to the receiver with HDMI first so you can get the best possible audio such as TrueHD and DTS-Master Audio from Blu Ray.

Afro GT
post #552 of 798 Old 10-16-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

That would be the worst way because your audio will likely be limited 2 channel stereo coming from the TV optical out.

Connect all your devices to the receiver with HDMI first so you can get the best possible audio such as TrueHD and DTS-Master Audio from Blu Ray.

Ah gotcha. Then one HDMI from TV to receiver for video for all components? Thanks for your help.
post #553 of 798 Old 10-16-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynblaze View Post

Quote:

Ah gotcha. Then one HDMI from TV to receiver for video for all components? Thanks for your help.
Yes, that should work. However, some cable and satellite set-top-boxes have HDMI limitations which cause intermittent problems when plugged into receivers. They work fine when plugged directly into TVs, though.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #554 of 798 Old 10-16-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Yes, that should work. However, some cable and satellite set-top-boxes have HDMI limitations which cause intermittent problems when plugged into receivers. They work fine when plugged directly into TVs, though.

It will be a Verizon Fios STB. Should that work?
post #555 of 798 Old 10-16-2013, 03:27 PM
585-645-1006

His comment was likely really more of a general comment as the issue can be present in some models of a particular provider and not others, there is no list as to which works and which doesn't. You'll just have to wait to connect your particular model box to find out which configuration you'll have to use.

post #556 of 798 Old 10-16-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:

I understand...makes sense. But if I hook up the way you recommend can I get sound from my tv speakers only if I want, instead of full blown surround sound? And how? For example if I just wanna watch the news or don't want to wake the wifey up with thundering bass.
post #557 of 798 Old 10-17-2013, 01:57 PM

Hi all, 

Happy owner of a Marantz 1603! Just one question:

While playing an mkv film using an SRT subtitle the Marantz receiver fails to consistently playback the subtitle. The first line of the subtitle is fine, however every second line of sub is 'blocked' somehow. There is also a hiccup in sound. 

I'm using a Popbox V8 media streamer. I havent had this problem with my old receiver, so i know it's not the popbox that's causing the problem. 

anyone else had this issue? Help needed!

Thank you in advance. 

post #558 of 798 Old 10-17-2013, 03:14 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynblaze View Post

I understand...makes sense. But if I hook up the way you recommend can I get sound from my tv speakers only if I want, instead of full blown surround sound? And how? For example if I just wanna watch the news or don't want to wake the wifey up with thundering bass.

Yes. The AVRs have a feature called "HDMI Standby Pass Through" which will pass HDMI audio/video through to the TV when the AVR is in Standby. Although as already mentioned, you may want to avoid and possible HDMI handshake issues with the cable box by connecting the HDMI directly to the TV with optical from the box to the AVR.

post #559 of 798 Old 10-23-2013, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hello everyone, my apologies if this has been covered before but I have recently acquired a SonyBDP-S5100 Blu Ray Player to be hooked into my 1603. Right now, all my films are only playing in either multi channel stereo or a setting called multi channel out. When my ps3 was playing Blu Ray films, I was able to play films in Pro Logic II. I've now lost that ability.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm at a loss...thanks! I've tried to mess with the player but it didn't seem to work thus far.

Thanks for any assistance!
post #560 of 798 Old 10-23-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Are you watching really old movies or something? Blu Ray movies should be either TrueHD or DTS-MA. If the player is doing the decoding it would send the high res audio as Multichannel PCM.

Sounds like neither one of your players are set up properly. Are they both connected via HDMI?

Afro GT
post #561 of 798 Old 10-23-2013, 06:17 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimerocks86 View Post

Hello everyone, my apologies if this has been covered before but I have recently acquired a SonyBDP-S5100 Blu Ray Player to be hooked into my 1603. Right now, all my films are only playing in either multi channel stereo or a setting called multi channel out. When my ps3 was playing Blu Ray films, I was able to play films in Pro Logic II. I've now lost that ability.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm at a loss...thanks! I've tried to mess with the player but it didn't seem to work thus far.

Thanks for any assistance!

Sounds like you never reset the PS3 or the new Blu Ray when you connected it to the 1603 otherwise both would be able to output DD/DTS 5.1 rather than just the stereo 2.0 you are currently getting now. Set the Secondary Audio mix to OFF on the new player as well as resetting it while connected to the 1603.

post #562 of 798 Old 10-23-2013, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Are you watching really old movies or something? Blu Ray movies should be either TrueHD or DTS-MA. If the player is doing the decoding it would send the high res audio as Multichannel PCM.

Sounds like neither one of your players are set up properly. Are they both connected via HDMI?

Well the ps3 was fine. The Blu Ray player is connected via HDMI and is only playing as mentioned. I'm watching Avatar. I have it hooked into the Game port. Will that make a difference?
post #563 of 798 Old 10-23-2013, 06:24 AM
585-645-1006

If the AVR was displaying "Pro Logic II" when a movie was playing on the PS3, that meant the PS3 was only passing a stereo 2.0 signal, as would be required when connected directly to the TV. You need to reset the PS3 so it can play DD/DTS 5.1. The new Sony BDP simply needs to be set to "bitstream" and Secondary Audio disabled as the player is currently doing the decoding.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#user_L25

post #564 of 798 Old 10-23-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:

i have a question regarding this comment. i have the Home Theater set-up in my Signature line below - all HDMI hook-ups. I am playing the "Inception" Blu-Ray Disc in my PS3. The TV info screen for the movie shows it is playing at "DTS-HD MA 5.1 Ch." However, on the front panel of my NR1403, the display states "Auto MCH STEREO" with both the PCM and DIG lights on. Am I right to think that if i press the PURE button on the remote to the AUTO option that it will default to the original sound source for the movie (in this case, DTS-HD MA)? Also, the MOVIE button on my remote does not give me a DTS-HD MA option to select from.

Also, if the receiver is playing DTS sound quality, shouldn't the DTS input signal light be illuminated on the receiver panel? I have already messed around with the Sound Options on the PS3 itself. Am I missing something here?

Thanks!

Marantz NR1403 AV Receiver
Samsung Series LN46C650 LCD TV
Klipsch F-20 Floorstanding Front Speakers
Polk TSi100 Rear Speakers (Floorstands)
Klipsch WC-24 Center Channel Speaker
Outlaw M8 Subwoofer
PS3 (3G)
Blue Jeans Canare 4S11 & Belden 5T00UP Cables (w/ Banana Plugs), GE Digital Fiber Optic Cable
post #565 of 798 Old 10-23-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boochydog View Post

i have a question regarding this comment. i have the Home Theater set-up in my Signature line below - all HDMI hook-ups. I am playing the "Inception" Blu-Ray Disc in my PS3. The TV info screen for the movie shows it is playing at "DTS-HD MA 5.1 Ch." However, on the front panel of my NR1403, the display states "Auto MCH STEREO" with the PCM and DIG lights on. Am I right to think that if i press the PURE button on the remote to AUTO option that it will default to the original sound source for the movie (in this case, DTS-HD MA)? Also, the MOVIE button on my remote does not give me a DTS-HD MA option to select from.

Also, if the receiver is playing DTS sound quality, shouldn't the "dts" input signal light be illuminated on the receiver panel? I have already messed around with the Sound Options on the PS3 itself. Am I missing something here?

Thanks!

well, i think i actually solved this issue using a PS3 related comment from two pages back. i went to the PS3 screen under "Video Settings" and changed one of the settings from "LPCM" to "bitstream." when i made the switch, there was a warning that all sound from the BD may not be heard, but after the change the NR1403 display now says "DTS-HD MA" and the "dts" light is lit up when Inception is playing at 1080p and 48 kHz. the PCM light is also no longer lit on the display. in addition, DTS-HD MA is now an option when i press the MOVIE button on the remote. i think that took care of it!!!

Marantz NR1403 AV Receiver
Samsung Series LN46C650 LCD TV
Klipsch F-20 Floorstanding Front Speakers
Polk TSi100 Rear Speakers (Floorstands)
Klipsch WC-24 Center Channel Speaker
Outlaw M8 Subwoofer
PS3 (3G)
Blue Jeans Canare 4S11 & Belden 5T00UP Cables (w/ Banana Plugs), GE Digital Fiber Optic Cable
post #566 of 798 Old 10-28-2013, 09:10 PM

Greetings everyone!

I have the Marantz NR1603 and am struggling to play music through the media player via the network. Internet radio works fine so no issues connecting with the network.

I have run the settings as suggested in the pdf and have ensured network sharing is enabled on my PC (windows 7) and have 'allowed' access between the Marantz and my PC.

But when I click on Media Player, the next screen says, 'empty' and I cannot select anything.

Like I said, I've changed the settings on my computer as instructed in the pdf, the network is active and working regarding the internet radio etc. so I can't figure out why 'empty' is appearing when I click media player.

would appreciate any assistance in this matter.

thank you!
post #567 of 798 Old 10-28-2013, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudi912 View Post

Greetings everyone!

I have the Marantz NR1603 and am struggling to play music through the media player via the network. Internet radio works fine so no issues connecting with the network.

I have run the settings as suggested in the pdf and have ensured network sharing is enabled on my PC (windows 7) and have 'allowed' access between the Marantz and my PC.

But when I click on Media Player, the next screen says, 'empty' and I cannot select anything.

Like I said, I've changed the settings on my computer as instructed in the pdf, the network is active and working regarding the internet radio etc. so I can't figure out why 'empty' is appearing when I click media player.

thank you!

I´ve had this issue with my NR1602. It´s generally fixed by unplugging the receiver, waiting 30s or longer and then plugging it back in. The NIC resets and then media server access is restored.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #568 of 798 Old 10-29-2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post

I´ve had this issue with my NR1602. It´s generally fixed by unplugging the receiver, waiting 30s or longer and then plugging it back in. The NIC resets and then media server access is restored.

Great, will try out tonight.

Thanks!
post #569 of 798 Old 10-29-2013, 05:19 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudi912 View Post

Greetings everyone!

thank you!

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#user_L29

post #570 of 798 Old 10-29-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post

I've turned off the switch at the power source but to no avail. I will try unplugging the receiver to see if that makes a difference.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Nr1403 Slim Line Av Receiver , Marantz Nr1603 Slim Line Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr1403 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page