Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 789 Old 03-12-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 361
heresnowhy,

You didn't explicitly mention if you used the TV's ARC HDMI connection. Usually ARC is available on only one of the TV's HDMI inputs, although CEC is available on all of them.

Selden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 789 Old 03-12-2014, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

heresnowhy,

You didn't explicitly mention if you used the TV's ARC HDMI connection. Usually ARC is available on only one of the TV's HDMI inputs, although CEC is available on all of them.

Yes, It's in both ports marked ARC, on the TV and the Receiver. I even brought over my old Pioneer receiver and placed it in the position of the Marantz. ARC worked perfectly with the Pioneer. It has to be an issue or setting with the Marantz. I'm not a novice by any means, just unfamiliar with the Marantz nuances....
post #723 of 789 Old 03-12-2014, 01:21 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked: 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by heresnowhy View Post

Wondering if the pros in here could offer some suggestions. I'm connecting a new LG 47LA6900 to a NR1603 for a friend and I simply cannot get ARC to function. He is only using the TV for it's smart features and does not have cable or an antenna. The HDMI Control is enabled and the LG Smart remote controls functions on the Marantz with ease, but when I play anything through the TV ie Netflix, VUDU etc.... I get zero audio to the Marantz. I've read the CDROM Manual, and unless I'm missing something, I don't see what else to do. The TV input on the receiver only offers options of Optical or Coax in the setup menu. I left it in it's default configuration. The HDMI Cable is capable, I took it home and used it on my Samsung/HK setup and ARC worked fine. Any suggestions at this point would be appreciated.

In addition to the HDMI-CEC setting on each device being enabled, the TV must also be set to output audio to "Home theater" or "External speakers". Once set, power both TV and AVR off. Power back on the TV, wait a few seconds, and then power on the AVR. If the AVR automatically switches to "TV Audio" a few seconds later, you'll know the connect is enabled, Alternatively, an optical cable can be connected from the TV's optical audio output to the AVR's optical input.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #724 of 789 Old 03-12-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

In addition to the HDMI-CEC setting on each device being enabled, the TV must also be set to output audio to "Home theater" or "External speakers". Once set, power both TV and AVR off. Power back on the TV, wait a few seconds, and then power on the AVR. If the AVR automatically switches to "TV Audio" a few seconds later, you'll know the connect is enabled, Alternatively, an optical cable can be connected from the TV's optical audio output to the AVR's optical input.

My goal here is to use ARC and not have to use an optical. I'm passed the powering on, unplugging and rain dances. Everything is setup on the TV correctly, it works fine with a different receiver, just not the Marantz. I guess I'll call Marantz and see if they have a suggestion. Thanks for your input.
post #725 of 789 Old 03-13-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

It could just be that you have a defective unit. You should be able to get an exchange.

Selden
post #726 of 789 Old 03-14-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:

It could just be that you have a defective unit. You should be able to get an exchange.

Just spoke to Marantz. Went through the settings, everything is as it should be. Said they've never witnessed ARC not working when everything else does and insinuated it wasn't possible to have only ARC fail. Back to square 1.
post #727 of 789 Old 03-14-2014, 08:12 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Try unplugging the AVR for 10 minutes and give it another go. If still no joy, a microprocessor reset (p. 157 OM) would be the next step.
heresnowhy likes this.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #728 of 789 Old 03-14-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:

^^
Try unplugging the AVR for 10 minutes and give it another go. If still no joy, a microprocessor reset (p. 157 OM) would be the next step.

Thanks. I'll give it a go tonight!
post #729 of 789 Old 03-17-2014, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Decoding from Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA to LPCM should produce the same quality of sound whether its being done in the computer or in the receiver. They are supposed to be using the same algorithms. Do make sure you've selected the correct WASAPI device in XBMC's system audio configuration menu.

MonInfo from Entech can be used to show the "realtime" EDID information being provided by the receiver. It's available at http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

Apparently the HDMI hardware in the HTPC can limit what's available. For example, I've seen reports from people using some models of Radeon cards where one of the HD lossless audio formats was available but the other wasn't. This was with other receivers, not the Marantz NR1403.

Thanks, but my PC running win 8.1 is a Celeron NUC, so I would rather use the processing power in the receiver. I think I found the reason for the problem: Intel hasn't supplied the necessary drivers for windows to bitstream DTS-HD with my particular NUC  :(  

post #730 of 789 Old 03-17-2014, 02:48 PM

I have owned the marantz nr1603 and have had nothing but trouble with the dropping of video, audio or both signals. i own a sony bravia, shaw cable box and a samsung blue ray player which have served me for years without any trouble.

i introduce a so called high end reciver like the marantz and all hell breaks loose.

mostly video signal keeps getting dropped - reset of tv hdmi inputs - replugging of hdmi wires brings the signal back only to be dropped again.

the hdmi board has been replaced on the receiver and after that they dont give a ****.

i am stuck with this piece of crap that i keep switching on and off hoping to get the signal back.

according to marantz it is everyone else is fault except their own.

so frustrating don't know what to do - can anyone help. 

post #731 of 789 Old 03-18-2014, 02:58 AM
585-645-1006

^^
The 1603 is a "low end" AVR, although regardless of low or high end, many units of different brands have trouble with cable/sat boxes which generally are not HDCP certified. The work around is to connect the cable/sat box (HDMI) directly to the TV with cable/sat box (optical) to the AVR for surround sound. HDMI handshake issues with BDPs are much less common although when they do exist can often be eliminated by setting the "Deep Color Output" setting on the BDP (if it exists) to OFF. Another solution is to consider replacing the HDMI cables with quality cables from either Monoprice or Blue Jeans Cables.

post #732 of 789 Old 03-18-2014, 06:15 AM

I had a problem with my NR1603 unit dropping video and sound plus and doing strange things. Example: "Load pop, drops me to setup screen in the middle of a movie, sound stops"

I called Marantz, they had me send it back though the local repair shop. They changed an HDMI board, so after waiting 6 weeks the unit came back and within a week the same problem returned. I had to repeat the RMA process.

I took it back to the repair shop. They, NOT MARANTZ, discovered the real problem was in the power transformer. They replaced it and the problem has not returned. So see if you can get the power section checked out if you have similar symptoms.

It is just disappointing that MARANTZ was unable to figure this out, so far I have had 9 months use in a year of ownership.
post #733 of 789 Old 03-18-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:

^^
The 1603 is a "low end" AVR, although regardless of low or high end, many units of different brands have trouble with cable/sat boxes which generally are not HDCP certified. The work around is to connect the cable/sat box (HDMI) directly to the TV with cable/sat box (optical) to the AVR for surround sound. HDMI handshake issues with BDPs are much less common although when they do exist can often be eliminated by setting the "Deep Color Output" setting on the BDP (if it exists) to OFF. Another solution is to consider replacing the HDMI cables with quality cables from either Monoprice or Blue Jeans Cables.

I disagree with the "low end" logic. I drive Acuras. I love them. I own a Honda Civic as well. It performs exceptionally well and has without fail for 7 years. It is "low end." You can't buy a Marantz at Radio Shack, like you can a Yamaha. There is a reasonable expectation of performance when buying a product priced above Industry standard for mass market items. Everything Marantz sells is above this standard.
post #734 of 789 Old 03-18-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timackerman View Post

Has anyone used the 1403 to drive a pair of 4 ohm speakers...

Do you think this would be too much for the 1403?

How sure are you they are 4 ohms? If I measured the speaker outlet to be 4 at dc, they would actually more like 6 ohm speakers as far as the rcvr is concerned.
post #735 of 789 Old 03-18-2014, 06:01 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by heresnowhy View Post

I disagree with the "low end" logic. I drive Acuras. I love them. I own a Honda Civic as well. It performs exceptionally well and has without fail for 7 years. It is "low end." You can't buy a Marantz at Radio Shack, like you can a Yamaha. There is a reasonable expectation of performance when buying a product priced above Industry standard for mass market items. Everything Marantz sells is above this standard.

Marantz's low end models are the NR140X, NR150X and NR160X models wheras the SR models are the mid level models.

post #736 of 789 Old 03-21-2014, 09:59 AM

Will the 1403 run fine in "stereo"? Looking for a small AVR to connect only front speakers to.
post #737 of 789 Old 03-21-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejz View Post

Will the 1403 run fine in "stereo"? Looking for a small AVR to connect only front speakers to.

Yes. Even Audyssey (the room equalization software) works fine with two speakers.

Selden
post #738 of 789 Old 03-24-2014, 08:51 AM

Liked: 11
I agree that people expect more of Marantz because they carry a 3-year warranty on their products instead of the standard 1 or 2 year from other manufacturers. You can probably get this to 4 years if you use certain credit cards. The slim receivers you are probably paying a horrible premium for the formfactor + Marantz name. Internally I would hope it is at least better than Denon low-end receivers (like the AVR-1513 etc) because it has a better warranty on it

Interested in the NR1403/1504 since it is one of the few affordable receivers with a Front L/R Pre-out . Curious, but is Marantz planning to announce a new 2014 lineup to replace both of these? I was quoted $340 for the NR1403 and $399 for the NR1504 by a B&M store that was clearing them out
post #739 of 789 Old 03-24-2014, 03:07 PM

In case anyone was wondering what the latest firmware update is all about: it's related to Netflix and Dolby Digital Plus.

Here's more info: http://us.marantz.com/us/News/Pages/NewsDetails.aspx?NewsID=85

I wish Marantz would publish more info on firmware updates or have a decent changelog. I still dont know what the previous firmware update for the NR1603 did
post #740 of 789 Old 03-24-2014, 03:14 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miwo View Post

I agree that people expect more of Marantz because they carry a 3-year warranty on their products instead of the standard 1 or 2 year from other manufacturers. You can probably get this to 4 years if you use certain credit cards. The slim receivers you are probably paying a horrible premium for the formfactor + Marantz name. Internally I would hope it is at least better than Denon low-end receivers (like the AVR-1513 etc) because it has a better warranty on it

Interested in the NR1403/1504 since it is one of the few affordable receivers with a Front L/R Pre-out . Curious, but is Marantz planning to announce a new 2014 lineup to replace both of these? I was quoted $340 for the NR1403 and $399 for the NR1504 by a B&M store that was clearing them out

Yup. These models are replaced every summer with new models.

post #741 of 789 Old 03-24-2014, 03:32 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshw View Post

In case anyone was wondering what the latest firmware update is all about: it's related to Netflix and Dolby Digital Plus.

Here's more info: http://us.marantz.com/us/News/Pages/NewsDetails.aspx?NewsID=85

I wish Marantz would publish more info on firmware updates or have a decent changelog. I still dont know what the previous firmware update for the NR1603 did

I will post the changelog in its entirety when it's made available to me, however, you can get a good idea of what changes have been applied by referring to the changelog updates for the Denon sister model 1913.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1409431/the-official-denon-avr-xx13-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#post_21995263

post #742 of 789 Old 03-25-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Curious whether anyone is having pass through problems when using the cable box? I've noticed lately that the picture goes in and out and pixelates/audio cuts out and I'm curious whether its the comcast cable box having a weak signal or the video pass through handshake issue.
post #743 of 789 Old 03-26-2014, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

The
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post

Curious whether anyone is having pass through problems when using the cable box? I've noticed lately that the picture goes in and out and pixelates/audio cuts out and I'm curious whether its the comcast cable box having a weak signal or the video pass through handshake issue.

The most common cause of pixelation and dropouts is a deficient HDMI cable. Try replacing it with one that's certified High-Speed, but don't waste your money of boutique cables like Monster.

The second most common is the cable box's HDMI implementation. Many are incompatible with the HDMI repeaters used by receivers. Try plugging the cable box's HDMI output directly into the TV with a separate (usually optical) audio connection to the receiver.

Selden
post #744 of 789 Old 03-26-2014, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The
The most common cause of pixelation and dropouts is a deficient HDMI cable. Try replacing it with one that's certified High-Speed, but don't waste your money of boutique cables like Monster.

The second most common is the cable box's HDMI implementation. Many are incompatible with the HDMI repeaters used by receivers. Try plugging the cable box's HDMI output directly into the TV with a separate (usually optical) audio connection to the receiver.

Thanks...I'm currently using the Monoprice High Performance Redmere Cables. I'll switch the out the HDMI from the cable box to TV and optical to the receiver. I don't understand why they can't make a cable box worth a damn.
post #745 of 789 Old 03-26-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I think it's just that most people don't have a/v receivers, so they usually don't bother spend the money to ensure that they're compatible.

Selden
post #746 of 789 Old 03-26-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Does this configuration look correct?

Picture - Cable box > TV HDMI 1
Sound - Cable box > AVR Optical 1 (NR1504 only has 1 optical input)

In order to use the Panasonic Netflx TV App - NR1504 AVR main out > to HDMI 2 ARC
post #747 of 789 Old 03-26-2014, 12:14 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Yup. Although note there is an issue with playing DD+ from Netflix that presents as either no audio or distorted audio on the center channel. if this occurs, select PCM 2.0/Stereo in the Netflix app.

post #748 of 789 Old 03-26-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^
Yup. Although note there is an issue with playing DD+ from Netflix that presents as either no audio or distorted audio on the center channel. if this occurs, select PCM 2.0/Stereo in the Netflix app.

Many thanks..Knock on wood but I haven't had a problem. How do you get into the Netflix app on the Panasonic plasma?
post #749 of 789 Old 03-26-2014, 01:19 PM
585-645-1006

On mine, I just select the INTERNET button.

post #750 of 789 Old 03-26-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On mine, I just select the INTERNET button.

I have a netflix button on my remote and an app on the home page.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Nr1403 Slim Line Av Receiver , Marantz Nr1603 Slim Line Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr1403 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page