AVS Forum banner

Marantz NR1403 and NR1603 Slim Line Receiver Thread

241K views 1K replies 236 participants last post by  zipon 
#1 ·
#703 ·
So i already wrote this in my appropriate speaker thread but decided to post it here as well to make sure I'm making the right decision..

So my current 5.1 set up is in a 14x12 room with the nPioneer speakers SP-FS52-LR, SP-C22, SP-BS22-LR, and a SVS PB-1000 sub. My receiver is a Marantz NR1403. I really want to be able to get the best performance out of my speaker set up but I'm not sure this receiver would be to provide it. Lately, I've been watching blu-rays at around 70 on the "absolute" range and i feel like I maybe underpowering the setup. Maybe I'm wrong

Should I consider getting a better receiver I've been having my eye on the denon x1000 & x2000 or is there something else I should consider doing to be able to get the best performance out of my 5,1 setup.

I'm still pretty new with all this but have been doing a lot of reading so I hope someone with more experience can help me out.

#704 ·
As far as power goes, unless you're having to go over 80 (master volume) and hearing distortion by doing so, the 1403 is providing plenty of power. Upgrading to the X1000 or X2000 would provide the better version of Audyssey MultEQ XT so slightly better audio quality, however, the boost in power would be negligible. With that nice sub, make sure you have all speakers set to SMALL with a minimum of 80Hz crossover for the FL/FR speakers.

#705 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1409015/marantz-nr1403-and-nr1603-slim-line-receiver-thread/690#post_24340555

As far as power goes, unless you're having to go over 80 (master volume) and hearing distortion by doing so, the 1403 is providing plenty of power. Upgrading to the X1000 or X2000 would provide the better version of Audyssey MultEQ XT so slightly better audio quality, however, the boost in power would be negligible. With that nice sub, make sure you have all speakers set to SMALL with a minimum of 80Hz crossover for the FL/FR speakers.

Good to hear if that's the case I'll probably just stick with what I have I was just worried it wasn't safe having it that loud. Thanks for your input.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

#706 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1409015/marantz-nr1403-and-nr1603-slim-line-receiver-thread/690#post_24340555

With that nice sub, make sure you have all speakers set to SMALL with a minimum of 80Hz crossover for the FL/FR speakers.

With all the AVR I've had, this makes the biggest amount of difference in sound quality and power. I have a Marantz NR1504 and have my Velodyne speakers crossed over at 100, sometimes 120.

#707 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficialPG  /t/1409015/marantz-nr1403-and-nr1603-slim-line-receiver-thread/690#post_24340369

So i already wrote this in my appropriate speaker thread but decided to post it here as well to make sure I'm making the right decision..

So my current 5.1 set up is in a 14x12 room with the nPioneer speakers SP-FS52-LR, SP-C22, SP-BS22-LR, and a SVS PB-1000 sub. My receiver is a Marantz NR1403. I really want to be able to get the best performance out of my speaker set up but I'm not sure this receiver would be to provide it. Lately, I've been watching blu-rays at around 70 on the "absolute" range and i feel like I maybe underpowering the setup. Maybe I'm wrong

Should I consider getting a better receiver I've been having my eye on the denon x1000 & x2000 or is there something else I should consider doing to be able to get the best performance out of my 5,1 setup.

I'm still pretty new with all this but have been doing a lot of reading so I hope someone with more experience can help me out.

as an alternative , add external power for front speakers and that will be nice

#708 ·
Assuming you've run the Audyssey calibration, 70 is still 10dB less than movie reference level, which is 80. Most people listen with the volume control set between 60 and 70, although usually at the lower end. Remember that after calibration, the volume control setting is not directly related to the fraction of the receiver's power that's being used. It specifies what fraction of movie reference sound level is to be produced. Of course, if you have inefficient speakers in a large room, a low powered amp is not going to be able to actually produce reference sound levels. I.e. it'd start clipping at settings below 80.

Stepping up to an X1000 would provide Audyssey XT, which does somewhat better at equalizing room response than does the base level of Audyssey which is included in the NR series. This would produce better quality but not necessarily louder sound.

#709 ·

I picked up the nr1403 a few weeks ago and love it.  We have minimal devices to run through it, a Wii connected with an HDMI converter, and a Mac Mini connected via a mini display adaptor to an HDMI cord.  Our TV is subsequently connected to the nr1403s HDMI output.  The system makes it real easy for my kids to choose which input they want since I have "hidden" all of the inputs except the two we have connected and the front input.

The trouble I am having is with the Mac Mini.  When I hook it directly to the TV (not through the receiver) with the mini display adaptor and HDMI cord the image fills the screen perfectly.  Overscan is enabled on the Mac Mini and the picture is edge to edge.  However, when I route through the receiver, the picture is too large for the screen with overscan enabled.  About a half of an inch all the way around.  If I disable overscan then it is much too small on the TV screen.  When I look at the display settings of the Mac Mini it sees the Marantz as the "monitor" and not the television.  Likewise, when plugged directly into the TV it sees the TV as the display.  Does anyone have any advice or know of anything I can do to maintain my setup with the receiver and display the Mac Mini properly on my TV?

#712 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjhibbs  /t/1409015/marantz-nr1403-and-nr1603-slim-line-receiver-thread/690#post_24379784

I picked up the nr1403 a few weeks ago and love it.  We have minimal devices to run through it, a Wii connected with an HDMI converter, and a Mac Mini connected via a mini display adaptor to an HDMI cord.  Our TV is subsequently connected to the nr1403s HDMI output.  The system makes it real easy for my kids to choose which input they want since I have "hidden" all of the inputs except the two we have connected and the front input.

The trouble I am having is with the Mac Mini.  When I hook it directly to the TV (not through the receiver) with the mini display adaptor and HDMI cord the image fills the screen perfectly.  Overscan is enabled on the Mac Mini and the picture is edge to edge.  However, when I route through the receiver, the picture is too large for the screen with overscan enabled.  About a half of an inch all the way around.  If I disable overscan then it is much too small on the TV screen.  When I look at the display settings of the Mac Mini it sees the Marantz as the "monitor" and not the television.  Likewise, when plugged directly into the TV it sees the TV as the display.  Does anyone have any advice or know of anything I can do to maintain my setup with the receiver and display the Mac Mini properly on my TV?
Any thoughts?

#714 ·
Hi I'm new to this forum thing and would really appreciate some assistance. I own a Marantz NR1603, when I first purchased the amp it connected to my home network without problem. However now I have been unable to get it to connect. I have replaced my router and it connected for a short time (day or so) then not working. Now it differently won't connect. I have reset the microprocessor using the power, zone2 source and internet radio buttons, with no success. I am hopeful there are no dramas with the LAN card which I'm told forms part of the main board $$$. Does anyone know if there is something else I can try.

Thanks

#718 ·

Windows 8.1 not recognizing my NR1403 as DTS-HD MA capable?

I have just build my first dedicated HTPC (Intel NUC DN2820), but I can't make Windows recognize my NR1403 properly:

Connected by HDMI.

It should be the latest graphics(&audio) drivers from Intel's site:

When playing videos though XBMC the receiver displays "MULTI IN" instead of DTS/DD/DTS-HD MA like it does when I play from my BD player. I'm guessing that the HTPC is doing the decoding, which can't be a good thing.

Any idea on how to make Windows recognize all the formats the receiver accepts?  I tried searching for "windows" and "HTPC" in this tread, but there didn't seem to be any posts on this issue. Thanks in advance.

#719 ·
Decoding from Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA to LPCM should produce the same quality of sound whether its being done in the computer or in the receiver. They are supposed to be using the same algorithms. Do make sure you've selected the correct WASAPI device in XBMC's system audio configuration menu.

MonInfo from Entech can be used to show the "realtime" EDID information being provided by the receiver. It's available at http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

Apparently the HDMI hardware in the HTPC can limit what's available. For example, I've seen reports from people using some models of Radeon cards where one of the HD lossless audio formats was available but the other wasn't. This was with other receivers, not the Marantz NR1403.

#720 ·
Wondering if the pros in here could offer some suggestions. I'm connecting a new LG 47LA6900 to a NR1603 for a friend and I simply cannot get ARC to function. He is only using the TV for it's smart features and does not have cable or an antenna. The HDMI Control is enabled and the LG Smart remote controls functions on the Marantz with ease, but when I play anything through the TV ie Netflix, VUDU etc.... I get zero audio to the Marantz. I've read the CDROM Manual, and unless I'm missing something, I don't see what else to do. The TV input on the receiver only offers options of Optical or Coax in the setup menu. I left it in it's default configuration. The HDMI Cable is capable, I took it home and used it on my Samsung/HK setup and ARC worked fine. Any suggestions at this point would be appreciated.

#721 ·
heresnowhy,

You didn't explicitly mention if you used the TV's ARC HDMI connection. Usually ARC is available on only one of the TV's HDMI inputs, although CEC is available on all of them.

#722 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball  /t/1409015/marantz-nr1403-and-nr1603-slim-line-receiver-thread/720#post_24472619

heresnowhy,

You didn't explicitly mention if you used the TV's ARC HDMI connection. Usually ARC is available on only one of the TV's HDMI inputs, although CEC is available on all of them.

Yes, It's in both ports marked ARC, on the TV and the Receiver. I even brought over my old Pioneer receiver and placed it in the position of the Marantz. ARC worked perfectly with the Pioneer. It has to be an issue or setting with the Marantz. I'm not a novice by any means, just unfamiliar with the Marantz nuances....

#997 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball  /t/1409015/marantz-nr1403-and-nr1603-slim-line-receiver-thread/720#post_24472619

heresnowhy,

Yes, It's in both ports marked ARC, on the TV and the Receiver. I even brought over my old Pioneer receiver and placed it in the position of the Marantz. ARC worked perfectly with the Pioneer. It has to be an issue or setting with the Marantz. I'm not a novice by any means, just unfamiliar with the Marantz nuances....
had the same problem and it drove me crazy. hdmi control stopped working between marantz nr1403 and panasonic 50 inch .

FOUND THE CULPRIT.

removed the hdmi connection from the panasonic dvd player to marantz.
somehow that was interfering. i noticed also guys complaining about ps3 connection causing the same issue.

try removing all hdmi output from marantz one by one and see if hdmi control returns.

#723 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by heresnowhy  /t/1409015/marantz-nr1403-and-nr1603-slim-line-receiver-thread/700_100#post_24472132

Wondering if the pros in here could offer some suggestions. I'm connecting a new LG 47LA6900 to a NR1603 for a friend and I simply cannot get ARC to function. He is only using the TV for it's smart features and does not have cable or an antenna. The HDMI Control is enabled and the LG Smart remote controls functions on the Marantz with ease, but when I play anything through the TV ie Netflix, VUDU etc.... I get zero audio to the Marantz. I've read the CDROM Manual, and unless I'm missing something, I don't see what else to do. The TV input on the receiver only offers options of Optical or Coax in the setup menu. I left it in it's default configuration. The HDMI Cable is capable, I took it home and used it on my Samsung/HK setup and ARC worked fine. Any suggestions at this point would be appreciated.

In addition to the HDMI-CEC setting on each device being enabled, the TV must also be set to output audio to "Home theater" or "External speakers". Once set, power both TV and AVR off. Power back on the TV, wait a few seconds, and then power on the AVR. If the AVR automatically switches to "TV Audio" a few seconds later, you'll know the connect is enabled, Alternatively, an optical cable can be connected from the TV's optical audio output to the AVR's optical input.

#724 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1409015/marantz-nr1403-and-nr1603-slim-line-receiver-thread/720#post_24474081

In addition to the HDMI-CEC setting on each device being enabled, the TV must also be set to output audio to "Home theater" or "External speakers". Once set, power both TV and AVR off. Power back on the TV, wait a few seconds, and then power on the AVR. If the AVR automatically switches to "TV Audio" a few seconds later, you'll know the connect is enabled, Alternatively, an optical cable can be connected from the TV's optical audio output to the AVR's optical input.

My goal here is to use ARC and not have to use an optical. I'm passed the powering on, unplugging and rain dances. Everything is setup on the TV correctly, it works fine with a different receiver, just not the Marantz. I guess I'll call Marantz and see if they have a suggestion. Thanks for your input.

#726 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball  /t/1409015/marantz-nr1403-and-nr1603-slim-line-receiver-thread/720#post_24479135

It could just be that you have a defective unit. You should be able to get an exchange.

Just spoke to Marantz. Went through the settings, everything is as it should be. Said they've never witnessed ARC not working when everything else does and insinuated it wasn't possible to have only ARC fail. Back to square 1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.