Marantz NR1403 and NR1603 Slim Line Receiver Thread - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #961 of 996 Old 12-18-2015, 01:26 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8432 Post(s)
Liked: 3797
Quote:
Originally Posted by senseabove View Post
Apologies if this is answered upthread. I've skimmed and the answer I'm looking for seems to be implied, but I'd like to confirm: I'm trying to merge my 2-channel stereo system with a theater system. Will the pre-amp FL and FR RCA outputs on this pass HDMI audio through?

From what I've read, a lot of receivers will only pass RCA input to RCA/pre-amp outputs, but I'm trying to pass a Blu-Ray player to my existing 2-channel system so I can use those speakers for now, and I'll eventually build out the rest of the 5.1 system. I'm currently passing audio from my blu-ray player to my BenQ W1070 projector and the audio is terrible from the projector's only audio out option via 3.5mm. Even trying an HDMI/RCA splitter from the blu-ray player, the audio is just too soft and I have to turn it up so loud the audio is overpowered by a system buzz.

Also, just to confirm, will this work as a 2-channel receiver until I can add the center and rear speakers?

1. Yes.
2. Also true for all AVRs with "main zone" pre-outs (eg. FL/FR) as what you are reading is referencing "Zone 2" pre-outs which will generally only pass analog source audio.
3. Yes. Any 5.1/7.1 AVR can work as a stereo receiver.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 996 Old 12-18-2015, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
1. Yes.
2. Also true for all AVRs with "main zone" pre-outs (eg. FL/FR) as what you are reading is referencing "Zone 2" pre-outs which will generally only pass analog source audio.
3. Yes. Any 5.1/7.1 AVR can work as a stereo receiver.
Thanks so much, jdsmoothie!
post #963 of 996 Old 12-22-2015, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is the NR1403 capable of powering on after sensing an optical signal? I have my sonos box connected to the optical input and I have to manually turn on the 1403 each time I want to listen. I don't see an option for this anywhere, hoping I missed it!
post #964 of 996 Old 12-22-2015, 12:45 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb81 View Post
Is the NR1403 capable of powering on after sensing an optical signal? I have my sonos box connected to the optical input and I have to manually turn on the 1403 each time I want to listen. I don't see an option for this anywhere, hoping I missed it!
Nope. HDMI-CEC is the feature which allows the powering on/off (although not always) of all HDMI cable connected devices in the chain.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 12-25-2015 at 05:41 AM.
post #965 of 996 Old 12-25-2015, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Nope. HDMI-CEC is a feature on HDMI cables only.
Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll have to go with an app-enabled universal remote.
post #966 of 996 Old 12-27-2015, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
ARC issue

I just bought a new JVC EM40NF5 which is an amazingly good TV for the price. I am having trouble trying to get ARC to work with my 1403 receiver. I have the TV connected to the correct HDMI port, and have the TV menu settings done, but ARC doesn't seem to work. I called JVC, and they walked me through everything to make sure I had the TV set correctly, including doing a reset. My HDMI cable is 3-4 years old. Does ARC need a certain series HDMI cable? Any ideas why it doesn't connect to the receiver? It's no big deal if I can't use the ARC because optical out works fine, just wanted to eliminate the extra cable if possible.
post #967 of 996 Old 12-27-2015, 06:21 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacro View Post
I just bought a new JVC EM40NF5 which is an amazingly good TV for the price. I am having trouble trying to get ARC to work with my 1403 receiver. I have the TV connected to the correct HDMI port, and have the TV menu settings done, but ARC doesn't seem to work. I called JVC, and they walked me through everything to make sure I had the TV set correctly, including doing a reset. My HDMI cable is 3-4 years old. Does ARC need a certain series HDMI cable? Any ideas why it doesn't connect to the receiver? It's no big deal if I can't use the ARC because optical out works fine, just wanted to eliminate the extra cable if possible.
HDMI(ARC) doesn't always work as expected unfortunately so the optical is likely your best work around. TV must have HDMI-CEC enabled as well as audio going to "External speakers"/"home theater.' HDMI Control on the AVR must also be enabled. Once these settings are made, power both TV and AVR off. Power on the TV, wait 5 seconds, and then power on the AVR. If the AVR switched to "TV Audio", it's working correctly, otherwise, go with Plan B (ie. optical cable).

------------

post #968 of 996 Old 01-02-2016, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I've been looking through this thread for a few years and while I like the looks of my 1403- the sound has left me disappointed. I've owned Marantz receivers as well as Denon before, and just got rid of a Onkyo 606. The 1403 has been lightly used. I've run the Audyssey numerous times and a few things that I've seen elsewhere in the thread. I get phase errors and when I switch the phase it still gives me the error. So I ignore and proceed with the setup.

1. The sound of the center channel gets noticeably softer or lower when watching tv. I've seen jdsmoothies suggestions for running optical so forth. Never have had this issue with any other receiver.

2. The sound using the radio is dull and lifeless, without much definition or bass dynamics- my 606 I felt did a great job and the HK receiver I have does better.

3. I have Paradigm Atom V3 and it seems I really have to crank the volume to get a normal level of sound.

I've played with settings and have thought about doing a manual setup with crossovers but really am thinking about selling it. I have a Sony 750 that I ordered just to see if it sounds better. I'll try the eq set up one more time but if not will Craigslist it.

JD or anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong or some suggestions.

Any help would be appreciated.
post #969 of 996 Old 01-03-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos1121 View Post
I've been looking through this thread for a few years and while I like the looks of my 1403- the sound has left me disappointed. I've owned Marantz receivers as well as Denon before, and just got rid of a Onkyo 606. The 1403 has been lightly used. I've run the Audyssey numerous times and a few things that I've seen elsewhere in the thread. I get phase errors and when I switch the phase it still gives me the error. So I ignore and proceed with the setup.

1. The sound of the center channel gets noticeably softer or lower when watching tv. I've seen jdsmoothies suggestions for running optical so forth. Never have had this issue with any other receiver.

2. The sound using the radio is dull and lifeless, without much definition or bass dynamics- my 606 I felt did a great job and the HK receiver I have does better.

3. I have Paradigm Atom V3 and it seems I really have to crank the volume to get a normal level of sound.

I've played with settings and have thought about doing a manual setup with crossovers but really am thinking about selling it. I have a Sony 750 that I ordered just to see if it sounds better. I'll try the eq set up one more time but if not will Craigslist it.

Something is amiss for sure. The 1403 is one sweet sounding receiver, the best I have had! Did you try a good 2 channel (mains only) source such as a CD player with the receiver set at pure direct? That should let you know if the 2 channel stereo amplifier is working correctly. You could do a reset of the receiver and start over by checking all connections, and re-doing Audyssey.

You didn't mention what your other speakers are (center, surrounds, sub). Also, what type of connection do you have to the TV (HDMI, composite, etc.). Does your TV have an HDMI ARC port?

The Paradigm Atoms are a pretty small bookshelf speaker that should be an easy drive with the 1403. I just modded a pair of them that I have. I am using them for near field computer speakers powered with a class D amp streaming Pandora.
pos1121 likes this.
post #970 of 996 Old 01-03-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Something is amiss for sure. The 1403 is one sweet sounding receiver, the best I have had! Did you try a good 2 channel (mains only) source such as a CD player with the receiver set at pure direct? That should let you know if the 2 channel stereo amplifier is working correctly. You could do a reset of the receiver and start over by checking all connections, and re-doing Audyssey.

You didn't mention what your other speakers are (center, surrounds, sub). Also, what type of connection do you have to the TV (HDMI, composite, etc.). Does your TV have an HDMI ARC port?

The Paradigm Atoms are a pretty small bookshelf speaker that should be an easy drive with the 1403. I just modded a pair of them that I have. I am using them for near field computer speakers powered with a class D amp streaming Pandora.
lacro-

I have a mishmash of speakers. The Atoms are left and right front, a Jamo center channel, Klipsh reference satellite speaker and B&W ASW 675 sub. Again, I was happy with the surround even with the eclectic setup I have. My main issue is with 2 channel, it sounds lifeless and hollow. No definition or punch. With my other receiver hooked up to the same setup, it was tight and tuneful. I love the Atoms and they sound great on my other equipment, which is why I as well am amiss. I've read so many great things about this unit which is why I'm frustrated.

I played the latest Jurassic video for a bit and it sounded ok.

All equipment is connected via HDMI and TV is Panasonic ST-60 which is hooked up using ARC.

I was going to try resetting and running Audyssey again. In the past I had a Energy RC Micro setup with it and ran Audyssey multiple times for the same reason.

I appreciate your response.
post #971 of 996 Old 01-03-2016, 08:13 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

1. If you have Dynamic EQ enabled, for the cable/sat TV source you'll want to also set the Reference Level Offset to 10db to reduce the impact of the bass/surround bump which should improve center channel dialog. You can also enable Dynamic Volume which will normalize the volume ... bumping up the weak dialog and compressing the louder explosions.
2. What surround mode are you using? Are your FL/SR speakers set to "SMALL/80Hz" if there is a dedicated subwoofer?
3. The AVR uses a logarithmic volume scale such that 50-75% of max is normal volume.

Also, a camera tripod or mic boom stand should ideally be used when taking the mic measurements with all 6 mic positions no more than 1-2' from your seated head position (ie. the main listening position).

------------

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 01-03-2016 at 09:03 AM.
post #972 of 996 Old 01-03-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
1. If you have Dynamic EQ enabled, for the cable/sat TV source you'll also want to also set the Reference Level Offset to 10db to reduce the impact of the bass/surround bump which should improve center channel dialog. You can also enable Dynamic Volume which will normalize the volume ... bumping up the weak dialog and compressing the louder explosions.
2. What surround mode are you using? Are your FL/SR speakers set to "SMALL/80Hz" if there is a dedicated subwoofer?
3. The AVR uses a logarithmic volume scale such that 50-75% of max is normal volume.

Also, a camera tripod or mic boom stand should ideally be used when taking the mic measurements with all 6 mic positions no more than 1-2' from your seated head position (ie. the main listening position).
jd-
I've tried the first two points you've suggested and while it's somewhat better, still a long way off.

Regarding calibration, I haven't used a stand but will try.

One last thing I forgot to mention. When I turn the receiver on first, and then the source component, usually the blu ray player, no sound comes out. I think it happens no matter which order I power up. I have to restart the receiver and then I can see it is decoding the source properly. This has happened since I've owned it.

Last edited by pos1121; 01-03-2016 at 08:42 AM.
post #973 of 996 Old 01-03-2016, 09:07 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
jd-
I've tried the first two points you've suggested and while it's somewhat better, still a long way off.

One last thing I forgot to mention. When I turn the receiver on first, and then the source component, usually the blu ray player, no sound comes out. I think it happens no matter which order I power up. I have to restart the receiver and then I can see it is decoding the source properly. This has happened since I've owned it.

1. Also ensure your center speaker is angled up/down as appropriate so as to be aimed directly at your head (ie. not your knees). If placed on a lower level shelf on a TV stand, also pull it out to the edge prior to raising it up via a wedge of some sort. Run Audyssey again after making this adjustment.
2. HDMI handshake issues can be mitigated by not only powering on the devices in a specific order (eg. TV, AVR, source), but also allowing a 5-10 second pause between powering on the next device. If using a Harmony remote, try adding additional pause time between each power on.
pos1121 likes this.

------------

post #974 of 996 Old 01-05-2016, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
jd-

Believe or not, using a mic stand makes a big difference when using Audyssey for calibration. I use the tripod stand and camera adapter linked below and it makes a world difference.

Tripod Boom Microphone Stand

Video Camera/Digital Recorder Adapter
pos1121 likes this.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Marantz NR-1504
GoldenEar SuperSat 50s
SVS PC-2000
AppleTV 3
Sony PS4
post #975 of 996 Old 01-05-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Believe or not, using a mic stand makes a big difference when using Audyssey for calibration. I use the tripod stand and camera adapter linked below and it makes a world difference.

Tripod Boom Microphone Stand

Video Camera/Digital Recorder Adapter
Sounds good- I'll give it a go and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks so much !
post #976 of 996 Old 01-06-2016, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sounds good- I'll give it a go and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks so much !
You're welcome...enjoy!
pos1121 likes this.

Marantz NR-1504
GoldenEar SuperSat 50s
SVS PC-2000
AppleTV 3
Sony PS4
post #977 of 996 Old 01-07-2016, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Anyone try the Chromecast Audio with this AVR? I have mine hooked up via 3.5mm-to-RCA analog inputs, and I'm liking it. It's also able to connect via mini-toslink, and I tried that this evening. I think I actually prefer the sound through analog. I wouldn't think the Chromecast would have a better DAC than the Marantz, but then again, it is newer. Digital in doesn't sound bad by any stretch, but it seems a bit brighter, maybe a little harsh.

I listen in stereo mode, audyssey in bypass L/R, and DEQ off. Bumping the bass up a couple dB from where Audyssey set it sounds really good.
post #978 of 996 Old 01-08-2016, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighou View Post
Anyone try the Chromecast Audio with this AVR? I have mine hooked up via 3.5mm-to-RCA analog inputs, and I'm liking it. It's also able to connect via mini-toslink, and I tried that this evening. I think I actually prefer the sound through analog. I wouldn't think the Chromecast would have a better DAC than the Marantz, but then again, it is newer. Digital in doesn't sound bad by any stretch, but it seems a bit brighter, maybe a little harsh.

I listen in stereo mode, audyssey in bypass L/R, and DEQ off. Bumping the bass up a couple dB from where Audyssey set it sounds really good.
Have you tried connecting the Chromecast directly into the AVR via HDMI? I have the Amazon Fire TV stick plugged into an HDMI input on my 1403, and the audio is great.
post #979 of 996 Old 01-08-2016, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Have you tried connecting the Chromecast directly into the AVR via HDMI? I have the Amazon Fire TV stick plugged into an HDMI input on my 1403, and the audio is great.
No, but I have the new Chromecast Audio, so it doesn't have HDMI out. At this point, I'm pretty happy. It sounds surprisingly good through RCA.
post #980 of 996 Old 01-13-2016, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why not turn Audyssey off and use the Stereo/Manual EQ? Audyssey doesn't have to be used for each input. I only use Audyssey for Cable TV, PS4/Blu-ray, and AppleTV. My other inputs are used for audio using stereo/manual EQ. I just bought a turntable that I'm running to the CD RCA input using stereo/manual EQ.

Marantz NR-1504
GoldenEar SuperSat 50s
SVS PC-2000
AppleTV 3
Sony PS4

Last edited by mbroadus; 01-13-2016 at 05:46 AM.
post #981 of 996 Old 01-13-2016, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Why not turn Audyssey off and use the Stereo/Manual EQ? Audyssey doesn't have to be used for each input. I only use Audyssey for Cable TV, PS4/Blu-ray, and AppleTV. My other inputs are used for audio using stereo/manual EQ. I just bought a turntable that I'm running to the CD RCA input using stereo/manual EQ.
I like how it EQs my sub, but that's about it when it comes to 2-ch music. So in my case, the bypass L/R works great.
post #982 of 996 Old 01-14-2016, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I like how it EQs my sub, but that's about it when it comes to 2-ch music. So in my case, the bypass L/R works great.

I tried that last night, it does sound better with the sub. Would be great if I could find a way to use the Audyssey sub settings and manual EQ for mid to high notes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marantz NR-1504
GoldenEar SuperSat 50s
SVS PC-2000
AppleTV 3
Sony PS4
post #983 of 996 Old 01-14-2016, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I tried that last night, it does sound better with the sub. Would be great if I could find a way to use the Audyssey sub settings and manual EQ for mid to high notes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cool Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to manual EQ the other speakers while just having Audyssey EQ the sub. Would be cool, though!
post #984 of 996 Old 02-23-2016, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I'm running my NR1603 BI-AMP with nordost cables to a pair of system audio SA1750 floor speakers (4ohm)and all I can say about this unit is sweet. WOW...even streaming sounds sweet.

tony4k

Last edited by tbase1; 02-25-2016 at 06:56 AM.
post #985 of 996 Old 03-09-2016, 03:07 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi, my Maranz 1403 is affected by the well known problem of DD + on netflix, do you know if is available a firmware update?

I read this old "news":

http://us.marantz.com/us/News/Pages/...aspx?NewsID=85

but my model is not listed.

There is hope that sending the receiver to a service center the firmware will be updated?

thanks.
chas_w likes this.
post #986 of 996 Old 03-09-2016, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by steddye View Post
Hi, my Maranz 1403 is affected by the well known problem of DD + on netflix, do you know if is available a firmware update?

I read this old "news":

There is hope that sending the receiver to a service center the firmware will be updated?
thanks.
Thanks for this...I have had my Roku set to output stereo because the digital output on Netflix always sounded horrible. I had no idea it was a Marantz issue, so I'm looking forward to an answer on this one as well.
post #987 of 996 Old 03-09-2016, 09:58 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

I read this old "news":

thanks.

Only the "networking" models were listed for the update; however, as the NR1403 is not a networking model, only a Marantz authorized authorized repair facility would be able to install a firmware update if available. Best to contact Marantz directly.

------------

post #988 of 996 Old 03-09-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Only the "networking" models were listed for the update; however, as the NR1403 is not a networking model, only a Marantz authorized authorized repair facility would be able to install a firmware update if available. Best to contact Marantz directly.

I sent an email to marantz asking if there is a firmware update for the NR1403 and, if yes, what to do. @chas_w I'll update this when they answer.
post #989 of 996 Old 03-10-2016, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I sent an email to marantz asking if there is a firmware update for the NR1403 and, if yes, what to do. @chas_w I'll update this when they answer.
Thanks. I actually emailed them yesterday as well and just received a reply that was not very helpful, especially since I had included the link to the Marantz page that mentioned the issue and firmware updates for the network models. Their reply to me:

"I never heard of this being a firmware issue. I would make sure decode mode is set to auto and test other decode modes if you go to setup menu > inputs and input select, and test other decode modes.

I would also check the sound modes on the bottom of the remote.

To check for a firmware update, please go to setup menu > General > Firmware to check."

Hopefully you will receive a more helpful reply.
post #990 of 996 Old 03-10-2016, 12:27 PM

The reply I recived is not helpfull too:

updates can be downloaded at http://www.marantz.co.uk/uk/support/pages/support.aspx obviously if available for your model. For our part the last update for NR1403 goes back to March 2014 (playback of DTS-HD Master) but is not about netflix functions which are web services used by LAN, but about playback of DTS-HD Master.

Best regards.

I am baffled by the answer, I don't think that the firmware update can be found online and I didn't ask if there was an update for Netflix obviously. Tomorrow I'll write them again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Nr1403 Slim Line Av Receiver , Marantz Nr1603 Slim Line Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page