Marantz NR1403 and NR1603 Slim Line Receiver Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 791 Old 11-19-2012, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would save the money and go for the 1403 if you are getting a new apple TV and don't need 7.1... that's what I did and I'm very happy with my decision

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 791 Old 11-19-2012, 04:00 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkming View Post

hi all,
it's time to upgrade from my yammie rx-v661.
sorta given up on yammie these days.
am looking at NR1403 or NR1603.
will save the $250 if decided to connect my existing appleTV and mac mini direct to it -> more or less will do so when i get the new iMac (which is like forever wait).
but i'm a total newbie when it come to the details of technical stuff.
one question i have is matching of NR1403 with my current Wharfadale diamond 9.1 bookshelf + 9.cc centre + yammie sub SW215.
not sure of those impedance and db stuff...
hope to hear a friendly advice.
can't wait for the hdmi 6in instead of yammie 2in now.
which i'm suffering to switch around the inputs from various devices these days.
thanks.

The Whardales are 6-ohm and not very efficient at only 86db; however, shouldn't be a problem driving them especially if you don't listen at really loud reference level volumes. Although the ATV will provide the Airplay functionality, the 1603 is a networking AVR and also provides SiriusXM, Pandora, and internet radio as well as the ability to update the firmware yourself rather than having to send the unit to a repair facility to update it. The networking capability also allows you to use a remote app with a smart phone to control the 1603 anywhere in the house that has access to the WiFi network. The 1603, being 7.1, would also allow you to place a set of stereo speakers in another room as Zone 2 (eg. patio, deck, office).

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #93 of 791 Old 11-20-2012, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the quick advise...
Not an expert on those ohm and db stuff and how it's efficient or less efficient. Is there a place I could read to have better understanding? Just for info and learning...

Apple TV and Mac mini is already in possession actually.

The tipping point of saving the money would be the video conversion functionality.
May not be important though.

As for zone function, am having it now with the yammie, but never use it. Hehe...
Stay in apartment with small living room.
Hence your advise on efficiency is timely as I don't get to crank up the volume that much often.
In addition, I have 3 kids at home, with youngest just months old.
Nightly movie watching with wifey has always been at -50db volume and Night mode on.
(Does Marantz have similar Night mode function?)

Can't remember the last time I blast some songs through the wharfedales... Poor thing.
post #94 of 791 Old 11-20-2012, 09:03 AM

Oh... I wonder how important to have that firmware upgrading function.
Hmmm...
Got to check at local store before buying about it.
post #95 of 791 Old 11-20-2012, 09:28 AM
585-645-1006

Depends on how many updates are issued thorughout the life of the AVR. For info on power/impedance, etc. review the below sticky thread ...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/968859/avr-faq/0_100

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #96 of 791 Old 11-22-2012, 06:02 AM

Finally, the slimline series is available here in Singapore!
Yes, we are only getting it here now...
Still not firm if I should get 1403 or 1603.

Plan to connect Mac Mini and AppleTV through it.
Will keep the Wharfedale Diamond 9 for use in 3.1 mode.

Am now wondering if Video upscaling function is important or not.
Most media would be mkv format 720p x264.
Does video upscaling make a difference?

Other functions that 1403 would missed out is ok for me, eg networking, AirPlay, better remote, etc.

On a side note, am using VLC player on Mac.
It seems to lack functionality or performance when playing bdmv source.
Is this due to Mac mini limitation or there is better program to run bluray iso or bdmv?
Have not test music, but need to read on it first before ask question on an ideal setup for casual listening style.
post #97 of 791 Old 11-29-2012, 10:14 AM

Liked: 13
Hey guys. Bought a NR1603. LOVE IT. Everything works flawlessly but one thing. tongue.gif

my TV/AVR keeps dropping video. Marantz says it is my TV. I still have the audio, but the video goes. And there is no rhyme or reason. The video can last for two hours nad cut out or two minutes and cutout. as soon as I switch sources and come back to the one I was watching it comes right back.

Marantz told me it is an HTCP address issue or something. Told me I might need to buy something to fix it. Does this sound right? Never had an issue with my Onkyo 876 dropping video in the exact same setup..
post #98 of 791 Old 11-29-2012, 04:35 PM
585-645-1006

Is the HTPC the only source with the video issue as they often can cause problems with AVRs? You may be better served adding an HDMI switch between the HTPC and the AVR or simply connecting the HTPC directly to the TV with audio to the AVR.

"JD" –

post #99 of 791 Old 11-29-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Is the HTPC the only source with the video issue as they often can cause problems with AVRs? You may be better served adding an HDMI switch between the HTPC and the AVR or simply connecting the HTPC directly to the TV with audio to the AVR.

Sorry for the confusion. I don't have an HTPC. The guy at Marantz said that there is an issue with HTCP or HDCP or something like that between the AVR and the TV. I'm going to try updating the firmware and see if that helps. If not, I guess I am going to have no choice but to get a switch/repeater.
post #100 of 791 Old 11-30-2012, 03:02 AM
585-645-1006

Ah, yes, HDCP. If the issue is with your cable/sat box, this is a known problem as for the most part, they are not HDCP certified and therefore can causse audio and video problems when connected to an AVR (any brand). Connect the HDMI directly to the TV with optical from the box to the AVR for surround audio and that should resolve your issue. smile.gif

"JD" –

post #101 of 791 Old 12-02-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:

Ah, yes, HDCP. If the issue is with your cable/sat box, this is a known problem as for the most part, they are not HDCP certified and therefore can causse audio and video problems when connected to an AVR (any brand). Connect the HDMI directly to the TV with optical from the box to the AVR for surround audio and that should resolve your issue. smile.gif

Thanks JD! Would picking up a repeater/switch fix the issue with the HDMI as well? I might look into one as well.
post #102 of 791 Old 12-05-2012, 06:50 PM

Hey guys,

I see lot more people on this forum with some experience with the slim line reciever from marantz ! I would like to ask some questions :

I now have Canton GLE 490.2 floorstanding speakers and some 430.2 rear speakers. These are rather big speakers so my question is would this slimline reciever be able to drive them good ?

Our tv cabinet is only 13 cm high on the front and behind that smal wooden beam of 2 cm its about 18cm high. So i need to get a slimline reciever but i am not sure if this one can power them. I was also looking for the pioneer recievers, no idea what would be a better pic,k.

And does it matter for it if i get a 5.1 or 7.1 type ? i will only use 5.1 also in the future but is it maybe possible to get the other 2 connections for the front speakers in stereo mode or maybe even in HT mode ? (bi amping?)

Thanks in advance for the help !
post #103 of 791 Old 12-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Can anyone tell me what type of video processing the 1403 uses..I have a h/k avr 254 now.that uses faroudja dcdi and up converts everything to 1080p...does the marantz do the same?..only using it as a preamp..using parasound halo amp for mains and will b using the marantz to power center and rears..thanks for any info..I really want great video processing!
post #104 of 791 Old 12-06-2012, 04:39 PM
585-645-1006

None. There is no analog--> HDMI upconversion,and no upscaling, rather only HDMI-->HDMI at whatever resolution the source level is passing to the AVR and composite video ---> composite video.

"JD" –

post #105 of 791 Old 12-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mettaman View Post

By turning off Audyssey EQ I am able to eliminate the volume "ramp-up" each time I change channels. That doesn't seem right though since the Audyssey's claim is to tailor sound to room dimension. By shutting it off after calibration negates the benefit.
Well that's a bummer! What about there higher end receivers?
post #106 of 791 Old 12-06-2012, 06:32 PM
585-645-1006

Video chips start with the 1603 (1080p) with the 5007 beginning the 4k upscaling feature as well and are likely the same Analog Devices chips as used in the Denon AVRs.

"JD" –

post #107 of 791 Old 12-08-2012, 09:58 AM

I have a 1603. Since the firmware update received a couple of days ago, Pandora works perfectly. However, I'm having a problem with logging on to Sirius XM. I'm using a Netgear 85Mbps Powerline Network Adapter Kit to connect to the internet. I will often get a "server error" message when switching to "internet radio" and have to unplug and plug in the ethernet cable. Then it works until the next time I turn on Internet Radio.

With XM Radio, I input my information and then get "Incorrect Username or Password." I know the information is correct, since it's the same password I use on my Mac, my iPad, and my Galaxy Tab. I've re-entered, reset the password, and tried everything. I still get the same message -- "Incorrect Username or Password." I thought the firmware update might have helped, but it had no effect.

I sent an email to Marantz and they've gone over the "three business days" response time limit, only sending me a couple of links in the interim that are useless, including this one:

What do I need to activate the XM Radio ready feature on my receiver?
You will need an XM Radio antenna (either indoor or outdoor), a XM Tuner Docking Station, XM Radio Tuner Card and XM Radio Subscription.

If you want to have multiple locations in the house you will also need a XM Antenna Distribution System.

I should be able to get XM on the internet feature, right, and not require a tuner???

Sorry, I'm not an AV expert and am doing the best I can with my limited knowledge. I'd blame it on my being a girl, but that's not why.
post #108 of 791 Old 12-09-2012, 08:45 AM
585-645-1006

Correct. You should be able to use the on board SiriusXM feature with no external antenna or additional hardware required. Unfortunately some CSRs are not as responsive as others, not really paying attention or trying to understand the issue, rather instead simply sending an automated response, likely due to not understanding the function or feature in question. That said, AFAIK, there has been no SiriusXM issue reported and therefore the recent update was only to fix Pandora. Try rebooting your router as well as pulling the power cord from the AVR for a few minutes. Unless other owners can confirm your issue, you may be better served contacting SiriusXM directly to at least confirm no issues at their end.

"JD" –

post #109 of 791 Old 12-09-2012, 03:04 PM

Hello all,

I'm thinking about buying the 1603. I just wanted to check with the experts here first. One of my plans involves AirPlay. I would have these components: AppleTV, iMac, speakers, TV and 1603.

I would like to set up the receiver downstairs with the TV, speakers and AppleTV connected. I would then like to connect to the iMac via AirPlay through the AppleTV. Would the 1603 work for this setup? There is a kaereoke software that I would like to run from the iMac wirelessly. This would help with clutter when we host a Christmas party. Thanks in advance for your help!
post #110 of 791 Old 12-12-2012, 09:42 AM

Thanks for this info. I'm inclined to buy the cheaper 1602, but want more info regarding the two zones.

I'll likely hook up 5.1 in the living room, and use the other two outputs as a kitchen 2.0 stereo setup.

If I buy Apple TV, can I have the kids watching/listening to a DVD in main room while I listen to streamed NAS music in the kitchen? Not sure if I understand why the Apple TV would facilitate this.

Thanks a lot.

Any major differences in capability between 1602 and 1603, whether in terms of Zones or something else?

Finally (if you have time), I have a question regarding TVs and these two AVRs. We don't watch a great deal of anything, but just upgraded from an old CRT to a Samsung 32" EH4003F. It's HD but 720p. Is upscaling something I will want to have, and does it matter that the 1602/1603 don't include this (if that's correct)?

Again, thanks... I'm pretty much a novice with AVRs.
post #111 of 791 Old 12-12-2012, 05:24 PM
585-645-1006

^^
With the 1602, you cannot have Airplay playing independently to Zone 2 whereas using the AppleTV you can. 1603 offers 2 more HDMI inputs, otherwise, fairly similar. Although it can play Airplay independently to Zone 2, prior to doing so, it will hijack the main zone first. Also note that video upscaling in an AVR doesn't offer much so you're not really missing out with the 1602, although note the 1603 does include the capability to upscale to 1080p/24Hz.

"JD" –

post #112 of 791 Old 12-12-2012, 05:25 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dza View Post

Hello all,
I'm thinking about buying the 1603. I just wanted to check with the experts here first. One of my plans involves AirPlay. I would have these components: AppleTV, iMac, speakers, TV and 1603.
I would like to set up the receiver downstairs with the TV, speakers and AppleTV connected. I would then like to connect to the iMac via AirPlay through the AppleTV. Would the 1603 work for this setup? There is a kaereoke software that I would like to run from the iMac wirelessly. This would help with clutter when we host a Christmas party. Thanks in advance for your help!

Yes.

"JD" –

post #113 of 791 Old 12-12-2012, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Hello everyone..I'm thinking of picking up the 1603 ,I am replacing a Harman karden avr254..I'm only using it to power my center and surrounds..I have a parasound amp to power the mains..the only reason I'm changing to the marantz is because my h/k is big,runs very hot,not crazy about h/is room correction..and I love the slim look of the marantz especially since I'm basically just going to use it as a preamp..I don't need 7.1..the only reason I'm getting the 1603 instead of the 1403 is because I want video processing..does anyone know what type of video processed the 1603 uses? And does it have on screen display for volume? I'm giving up a lot that my h/k has but I have the upgrade itch and love the look and size of the marantz..wish the 1403 had video processing..I could save a few hundred dollars!..anyone out there ditch there bells& whistles avrs to get one of these and think it was a good move?..thanks for your help..just wanna know how good the video processing is in the 1603
post #114 of 791 Old 12-12-2012, 06:35 PM
585-645-1006

AFAIK, the 1603 uses the same Analog Devices video chip as used on the Denon AVRs ... not something really worth upgrading for as youre TV is likely able to do just as good of a job.

"JD" –

post #115 of 791 Old 12-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mettaman View Post

I choose the 1403 because it was the simplest, quality receiver available in my price range. I had no problems wiring the speakers (Def Tech ProCinema 800's) and running Audyssey. However beyond this basic set-up I'm having a difficult time understanding the fine tuning of the system. For example, I tried both methods suggested by members to eliminate the volume fluctuations when changing channels to no avail. I tried starting the entire set-up over from scratch and can't get the original screens beginning with "Select a language" to appear on the TV. I'm an novice and would be very grateful if a member could walk me through a proper set-up and fine tuning. Much appreciated.

Quote:

AFAIK, the 1603 uses the same Analog Devices video chip as used on the Denon AVRs ... not something really worth upgrading for as youre TV is likely able to do just as good of a job.
Do you think the analog device chip is better than the farouja dcdi video processed that's in my h/k avr?..and does the 1603 up convert non HD cable channels to 1080 p. Like my h/k does?
post #116 of 791 Old 12-13-2012, 02:47 AM
585-645-1006

If there is any difference, it wouldn't likely amount to that much, although yes, the 1603 can both upconvert analog ---> HDMI (eg. Wii) as well as upscale/deinterlace SD (480i) to HD (1080p) just as your H/K.

"JD" –

post #117 of 791 Old 12-13-2012, 07:01 AM

New 1402 owner here. I have been fiddling with this AVR for a week now without much success.
I am trying to get the following up and running:

Marantz NR 1402
2012 Panasonic Plasma
2012 Panasonic Blu Ray
WD Live box
Apple TV

I thought I could plug the BD, WD and Apple into the 1402 BD, DVD and CD inputs with one HDMI cable to the TV, but the only thing that works is the BD player. The 1402 does not seem to see the WD or the Apple box. So I tried plugging the WD into the TV and ran an optical cable to the 1402 for audio, but no audio found on the 1402. I tried all the input selections.
I have gone through the TV manual and the 1402 manual numerous times and tried lots of different settings. I did a reset on the 1402 but no luck.
I can get TV audio to come out using the ARC but I have to turn the main volume knob 6 or 7 revolutions before anything comes out of my Paradigm Phantom fronts.

Got any ideas on what to try next. At a loss here.
Thanks.

Panny Th-P50UT50
Panny DMP-BDT320
Marantz NR1402
WD Live
Apple TV
Paradigm Phantom (F)
Paradigm Atoms (R)
Boston Accu. (C)
No sub.
post #118 of 791 Old 12-13-2012, 09:28 AM

Sounds good. So if I buy the 1602 and Apple TV I'd be able to have two different zones playing two different contents?

Any idea if the latest generation of Apple TV (3rd, I think) would not play well with the 1602? I think I'll get both.
post #119 of 791 Old 12-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Hello..just wanted to know if anyone out there swapped out a h/k avr247 or347 avr for a marantz avr..if so can you please let me know! I really want the 1603 for many reasons and I'm going to be giving up a lot of things my Harman/karden has...but anyway if anyone out there has done this please let me know..thanks again!
post #120 of 791 Old 12-13-2012, 04:58 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruth View Post

Sounds good. So if I buy the 1602 and Apple TV I'd be able to have two different zones playing two different contents?
Any idea if the latest generation of Apple TV (3rd, I think) would not play well with the 1602? I think I'll get both.

Correct. Although you need to also purchase an optical --> analog converter as well for the ATV3.

"JD" –

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Nr1403 Slim Line Av Receiver , Marantz Nr1603 Slim Line Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr1403 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page