Looking for high input AV Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 05-05-2012, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been searching for a while and have yet to find anything that meets my requirements.

I am looking for a Receiver to be a single point of contact/switching for all my devices and pump out using a single signal (HDMI) to the TV. Unfortunately, it's the number and types of inputs that have prevented me from finding anything even close to what I need.

I need to have the following inputs:
4x Composite (Old gaming consoles)
4x Component (Old gaming Consoles and DVD/VCR)
2+ HDMI (New consoles, HTPC plus ideally a couple for near future expansion)

Requirements:
- Upconverting everything to HDMI including audio.
- Front inputs do not count. No permanent connections to the front.

Nice to haves:
- Dual HDMI out for TV and projector.

Don't care about:
- Number of audio channels. Many of the sources we commonly use are only 2 channel anyways (the 8 legacy composite and component devices).

I currently have 3 manual analog switches, tv switching and amp switching necessary to get a specific audio and video output. PITA and I'm the only one who knows how to actually get things going.

The closest I have found is the Yamaha RX-A1010 with 7 inputs (8 but one is on the front).
Of course, the 4 composite, 4 component and the first 4 hdmi inputs all are shared/overlap. So basically, I lose half of my legacy connections, and am left with only 3 hdmi connections. This doesn't even give me the option of just connecting 8 legacy devices and finding a tv with more hdmi inputs since all the analog inputs overlap.

At this point, please list anything regardless of price, size or complexity that meets my requirements. Since I have yet to find anything, I'm not even sure if I'm looking in the right areas. It's tough searching for some category of equipment I don't even know exists if my solution isn't possible with consumer receivers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-05-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougTheSlug View Post

I've been searching for a while and have yet to find anything that meets my requirements.

I am looking for a Receiver to be a single point of contact/switching for all my devices and pump out using a single signal (HDMI) to the TV. Unfortunately, it's the number and types of inputs that have prevented me from finding anything even close to what I need.

I need to have the following inputs:
4x Composite (Old gaming consoles)
4x Component (Old gaming Consoles and DVD/VCR)
2+ HDMI (New consoles, HTPC plus ideally a couple for near future expansion)

Requirements:
- Upconverting everything to HDMI including audio.
- Front inputs do not count. No permanent connections to the front.

Nice to haves:
- Dual HDMI out for TV and projector.

Don't care about:
- Number of audio channels. Many of the sources we commonly use are only 2 channel anyways (the 8 legacy composite and component devices).

I currently have 3 manual analog switches, tv switching and amp switching necessary to get a specific audio and video output. PITA and I'm the only one who knows how to actually get things going.

The closest I have found is the Yamaha RX-A1010 with 7 inputs (8 but one is on the front).
Of course, the 4 composite, 4 component and the first 4 hdmi inputs all are shared/overlap. So basically, I lose half of my legacy connections, and am left with only 3 hdmi connections. This doesn't even give me the option of just connecting 8 legacy devices and finding a tv with more hdmi inputs since all the analog inputs overlap.

At this point, please list anything regardless of price, size or complexity that meets my requirements. Since I have yet to find anything, I'm not even sure if I'm looking in the right areas. It's tough searching for some category of equipment I don't even know exists if my solution isn't possible with consumer receivers.

These days are coming to an end quickly. Either use legacy port switches for your component and composite or look at used equipment and adding hdmi switching.

Personally there is nothing wrong with component and composite switches. The Home av market is taking a hard hit and companies are removing a lot of legacy connections below $1000 receivers thinking this saves them big money. So, switches will become important for the old skoolers.
post #3 of 21 Old 05-05-2012, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

These days are coming to an end quickly. Either use legacy port switches for your component and composite or look at used equipment and adding hdmi switching.

Personally there is nothing wrong with component and composite switches. The Home av market is taking a hard hit and companies are removing a lot of legacy connections below $1000 receivers thinking this saves them big money. So, switches will become important for the old skoolers.

So... what about receivers above 1000$?
post #4 of 21 Old 05-05-2012, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Many receivers that have "overlapping" inputs will let you "double tap" those inputs as long as both sources are not powered on at once - if both sources are powered on, there's usually an order of precedence (usually HDMI goes first, then component, then S-Video, then composite). Audio may follow a similar order, or you may have to manually switch (some receivers do not "auto" decide between analog and digital audio, many do though).

To re-state what you need:
4 A/V
3 component A/V
2 HDMI

I want to talk about your DVD/VCR for a minute before we go further:
Does it allow all of it's video and audio to come out via component + digital? Or does it require multiple simultaneous connections? (I've seen both). Do any of your game consoles support DVD playback, or do you have a Blu-ray player? Do you have a free-standing VCR that can be tied into the composite A/V setup? (Or can this unit do that?).

Now, on to the equipment that may be a winner:
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio..._u/?mode=model
http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Page...308CIA(DenonNA)
http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Produ...roductId=MX121 (needs an outboard amplifier; they have another model, the MX-151, that has more component inputs, but only two composite/S-video inputs)
Also the Sherwood R-972 would work (their site uses frames, unfortunately)

If you can go with a bit older equipment, you might consider the Yamaha RX-Z11 and Z9. I'll challenge you to fill the back on either.

Alternately, a large remote controlled switch and a universal remote (like Harmony) would be an option - probably a lot cheaper than some of the above too.
post #5 of 21 Old 05-05-2012, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

First, huge thanks for taking the time to answer like that! I'm new to these forums, so if there's any way I can vote you up with points, karma, likes or whatever this forum might use, let me know and you'll get some...
Quote:
Originally Posted by walbert View Post

Many receivers that have "overlapping" inputs will let you "double tap" those inputs as long as both sources are not powered on at once - if both sources are powered on, there's usually an order of precedence (usually HDMI goes first, then component, then S-Video, then composite). Audio may follow a similar order, or you may have to manually switch (some receivers do not "auto" decide between analog and digital audio, many do though).

I was not aware of this.
Most devices are off when not in use, but a couple stay on all the time, like the HTPC.

Quote:

To re-state what you need:
4 A/V
3 component A/V
2 HDMI

2 HDMI plus... I do not expect to get anymore composite or component devices... but hdmi... sure.

Quote:

I want to talk about your DVD/VCR for a minute before we go further:
Does it allow all of it's video and audio to come out via component + digital? Or does it require multiple simultaneous connections? (I've seen both). Do any of your game consoles support DVD playback, or do you have a Blu-ray player? Do you have a free-standing VCR that can be tied into the composite A/V setup? (Or can this unit do that?).

It's my only VCR, and both the VCR and DVD player output via analog audio & video. (rgb+rw)
going back to the requirements...
4 composite analog A&V (Y+RW)
4 component analog A&V (RGB+RW)
2+ HDMI digital A&V (HDMI port only)

The only digital audio is through the HDMI. All the legacy devices are analog audio.

(note - had to remove URLs due to anti-spammer measures in the forums...)
Quote:

Now, on to the equipment that may be a winner:
usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/aventage/rx-a3010_black_u/?mode=model
usa.denon.com/US/Product/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?PCatId=AVSolutions(DenonNA)&catalog=DenonNA_US&CatId=AVReceivers(DenonNA)&Pid=AVR5308CIA(DenonNA)
www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=Processors&ProductId=MX121
(needs an outboard amplifier; they have another model, the MX-151, that has more component inputs, but only two composite/S-video inputs)
Also the Sherwood R-972 would work (their site uses frames, unfortunately)

PS. Middle link broken. I get redirected to an error page.
So, a few questions about these:
1) Yamaha... why did you recommend the a3010 over the a1010 I initially mentioned? As far as I can tell, the back panels are identical with respect to my requirements?
If I overlap the component and composite inputs, can the 4 audio channels from the 4 component inputs go into "Audio 1 (2 TV)", "Audio 2 (3 CD)", "Audio 3" and "Audio 4" respectively? As per the requirements, I need 8 sets of analog audio inputs which can each be tied to one of the 4 composite or 4 component inputs.
2) Finally found the denon by browing the site. It doesn't look like it would work at all... I can't see 8 analog sets of audio inputs... Plus, it's got one less total input (6 hdmi on the back instead of 7) which means less HDMI future expansion.
3) Mcintosh... looked promising, but again I'm concerned about the analog audio inputs. Looking at the back panel. Video In DB, Component In (BD) and yet only one analog in (BD) for both of those. Unless I can pair the Phono Audio in with a component in? In the end, this model only has 6 inputs in total, which has the same drawback as the denon model.
4) I found pics of the sherwood in google. Their site really does suck Anyways, that model only appears to have 4 selectors, and given that one HDMI will always be on (HTPC) that limits the number of Composite and Component connections useable via overloading. Also I realize you tried to slim the requirements to 3 component so this one could fit, but given that I still need 4, it won't work...

Quote:

If you can go with a bit older equipment, you might consider the Yamaha RX-Z11 and Z9. I'll challenge you to fill the back on either.

I'm not concerned about new or old, as long as it meets the requirements.
- The RX-Z11 seems to only have similar drawbacks as the sherwood. I can't tell if when all the composite analog audio inputs are filled if I can use CR-R through Phono as the analog audio inputs for the component signals. Plus, it looks like it's limited to 5 sets of connections, compared to the 7 the Yamaha RX-A1010 offers.
- The RX-Z9 has no HDMI, so I'd only start investigating that if I really run out of options with HDMI...

Quote:

Alternately, a large remote controlled switch and a universal remote (like Harmony) would be an option - probably a lot cheaper than some of the above too.

I've never seen a switch with composite, component and hdmi that outputs everything via HDMI and isn't a receiver... I'm lost as to what you're referring to here.
post #6 of 21 Old 05-05-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
The RX-A1010 actually should meet your requirements. The four component inputs are reassignable so you can assign them to AV5-7 or AUDIO1-4 and they will no longer "double up" with AV1-4. That should just be enough for what you want to do leaving giving you 4 composite inputs (AV1-4), four component inputs (AUDIO1-4), three HDMI (AV5-7). You've also got the option of using S-Video which much better than composite, and not much worse than component for SD sources.

I'm using an HTR-8063 (aka RX-A1000) in a similar set up to yours. One thing about it however is that I don't like the quality of the analogue to HDMI conversion and upscaling, so I run a component cable in additon to HDMI to my TV. It does a much better job of upscaling. (I also have a SD CRT TV connected to my receiver which I think works better with old consoles.) If you want to go HDMI only to your TV you might want to consider the RX-A2010 which has a dedicated scaler chip and should do a better job.

Whatever receiver you end up deciding on make sure you buy it from a store that will let you take it back if you're not satisfied. Old consoles are pretty notorius for being incompatible with modern receivers.
post #7 of 21 Old 05-05-2012, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge View Post

The RX-A1010 actually should meet your requirements. The four component inputs are reassignable so you can assign them to AV5-7 or AUDIO1-4 and they will no longer "double up" with AV1-4. That should just be enough for what you want to do leaving giving you 4 composite inputs (AV1-4), four component inputs (AUDIO1-4), three HDMI (AV5-7). You've also got the option of using S-Video which much better than composite, and not much worse than component for SD sources.

makes sense, I hope it works that way

Quote:

I'm using an HTR-8063 (aka RX-A1000) in a similar set up to yours. One thing about it however is that I don't like the quality of the analogue to HDMI conversion and upscaling, so I run a component cable in additon to HDMI to my TV. It does a much better job of upscaling. (I also have a SD CRT TV connected to my receiver which I think works better with old consoles.) If you want to go HDMI only to your TV you might want to consider the RX-A2010 which has a dedicated scaler chip and should do a better job.

Thanks for the tip on the A2010... I'll keep in mind using both component and hdmi out as well...

Quote:

Whatever receiver you end up deciding on make sure you buy it from a store that will let you take it back if you're not satisfied. Old consoles are pretty notorius for being incompatible with modern receivers.

there's no way I'm getting anything that I can't return until I can confirm that this overloading/doubling up works 100% with my setup...
post #8 of 21 Old 05-05-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked: 1425
Quote:
Upconverting everything to HDMI including audio.

note that receivers will NOT convert non-HDMI audio to HDMI output to the display. The upconverting/upscaling receivers can handle converting all video to a single HDMI feed, but you can't plug a bunch of analog audio inputs into the receiver and pipe the audio to the display via HDMI.

if you don't need that (i.e. you will play audio on external speakers) then your needs are actually pretty straightforward. The biggest snag in your initial post is the 4th component video input, very few receivers have more than 3. If you can go with 3 component + 4 a/v + the rest HDMI it's pretty easy to find a receiver that will meet your needs.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #9 of 21 Old 05-05-2012, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

note that receivers will NOT convert non-HDMI audio to HDMI output to the display. The upconverting/upscaling receivers can handle converting all video to a single HDMI feed, but you can't plug a bunch of analog audio inputs into the receiver and pipe the audio to the display via HDMI.

oops *facepalm*. Yeah... the audio does not need to leave the receiver via hdmi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

if you don't need that (i.e. you will play audio on external speakers) then your needs are actually pretty straightforward. The biggest snag in your initial post is the 4th component video input, very few receivers have more than 3. If you can go with 3 component + 4 a/v + the rest HDMI it's pretty easy to find a receiver that will meet your needs.

the rx-a[1|2|3]010 line from yamaha has 4 component... I didn't know before today that I could stack them and the receiver would use whatever input is active. Assuming that goes as described for these models, I should be set.
post #10 of 21 Old 05-05-2012, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's a potential problem:

Most of the receivers I suggested share analog audio for component and composite video - you won't be able to "double up" on those; you only have the one input. So while you'll have video, you won't have audio.

The Denon link that broke is for the AVR-5308; not sure what happened with the parse.

With the Sherwood and Yamaha and so on - no you can't move analog inputs around. The analog audio inputs are likely to be your biggest problem.

Here's what I'd ultimately suggest:

Find a receiver that isn't up there in the stratosphere, price-wise (the Z11 was $5500 new, the 5308 is around $6000); the RX-V867 or RX-A1000 or whatever should be perfectly suitable. Get a 4-to-1 composite AV switch that uses a remote, and take one AV input for all of those devices. Dump the DVD/VCR device in the process, and get a stand-alone VCR (it will cost a few dollars at most), put that in-between whatever the least used composite source is on the 4-to-1 switch.

Connect your remaining component sources to the receiver. Add a Blu-ray or DVD player with HDMI out for DVD playback.

Yes, it's buying "more" hardware - but the combined cost of a VCR and Blu-ray player should be right around $100. The switch will be maybe another $30. And you can now likely use a sub-$1000 receiver with no problems. Oh, and don't forget the universal remote!
post #11 of 21 Old 05-06-2012, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
How about using an auto-switcher (it will auto-switch to whichever source is "on"):
http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio-...rodSB5420.html

...or an IR switcher controlled by an activity-based remote (you have one button for "Play PS1" and it does all the switching automagically -- Harmony remotes do this, for instance, and it isn't hard to setup):
http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio-...rodSB5430.html

That would reduce your composite requirements down to one input.

You can do the same for the component inputs with this IR remote:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

You might need to do a little research (or just purchase from a place with a good return policy and try it out), but a remote like this would probably work for controlling it all:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/remote...s/devices/6621

That gives these new requirement for the receiver, which just about any receiver supports:
* one composite input
* one component input
* 2+ HDMI

-Max
post #12 of 21 Old 05-06-2012, 02:45 AM

Liked: 93
First, ask yourself the question "What do I actually use?", then reduce the complexity of your system. Do you seriously still use VHS? Why have a DVD player when your PS3/360 make perfectly normal DVD players, in both cases being better than the fanciest DVD/VHS combo ever made. Do you actually play the old consoles, or are they just sitting there looking pretty?

If you insist on filling the living room with old junk systems, then IR controlled switch boxes as mentioned in post #11 are the correct choice, combined with a Harmony remote. Why restrict the receiver choice to just "what has the most inputs?", sacrificing things like better room correction in the process?
post #13 of 21 Old 05-06-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the rx-a[1|2|3]010 line from yamaha has 4 component... I didn't know before today that I could stack them and the receiver would use whatever input is active. Assuming that goes as described for these models, I should be set.

No, as I explained, you don't need to "stack" or "double" connections with the RX-Ax010. Just reassign the component inputs (labeled [A], [B], [C], [D]) to AUDIO1, AUDIO2, AUDIO3, and AUDIO4. The component inputs are only by default assigned to AV1, AV2, AV3 and AV4 respectively.

Connect your four composite sources to composite and analogue audio jacks labeled AV1, AV2, AV3, AV4 and use the AV1-4 buttons on the remote to select them.

Connect your four component sources to the component jacks labeled [A], [B], [C], [D] and to the analogue audio jacks labeled AUDIO1, AUDIO2, AUDIO3, and AUDIO4. Go into the setup menu ([On Screen] -> Setup -> Function -> Input Assignment) and assign the four component jacks to AUDIO1, AUDIO2, AUDIO3 an AUDIO4.. You can then use the AUDIO1-4 buttons on the remote to select these four component sources.

You're then left with three HDMI-only inputs labelled AV5, AV6, and AV7, which can be selected with the corresponding buttons on the remote.

That gives you a total 11 sources, 4 composite sources, 4 component sources and 3 HDMI sources each with their own unshared input and each with their own input selection button on the remote.

If any of your sources use coaxial or optical digital audio (SPDIF) connections then the 6 SPDIF input jacks (labeled ①,②,③,④,⑤ and ⑥) can also be freely reassigned to AV1-7 and AUDIO1-4 as necessary.
post #14 of 21 Old 05-06-2012, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No, as I explained, you don't need to "stack" or "double" connections with the RX-Ax010. Just reassign the component inputs (labeled [A], [B], [C], [D]) to AUDIO1, AUDIO2, AUDIO3, and AUDIO4. The component inputs are only by default assigned to AV1, AV2, AV3 and AV4 respectively.

Connect your four composite sources to composite and analogue audio jacks labeled AV1, AV2, AV3, AV4 and use the AV1-4 buttons on the remote to select them.

Connect your four component sources to the component jacks labeled [A], [B], [C], [D] and to the analogue audio jacks labeled AUDIO1, AUDIO2, AUDIO3, and AUDIO4. Go into the setup menu ([On Screen] -> Setup -> Function -> Input Assignment) and assign the four component jacks to AUDIO1, AUDIO2, AUDIO3 an AUDIO4.. You can then use the AUDIO1-4 buttons on the remote to select these four component sources.

You're then left with three HDMI-only inputs labelled AV5, AV6, and AV7, which can be selected with the corresponding buttons on the remote.

That gives you a total 11 sources, 4 composite sources, 4 component sources and 3 HDMI sources each with their own unshared input and each with their own input selection button on the remote.

If any of your sources use coaxial or optical digital audio (SPDIF) connections then the 6 SPDIF input jacks (labeled ①,②,③,④,⑤ and ⑥) can also be freely reassigned to AV1-7 and AUDIO1-4 as necessary.

Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately this does conflict with what walbert said though. I'm not saying you or walbert is wrong... Given the info presented I am inclined to believe you since you have presented more specific info saying it is capable and how, while walbert is giving a more high level description of why it shouldn't be possible...

Anyways, to let me get this right. If I program Component [A] paired with [Audio 1 (2TV)] in the receiver menus, if I hit "Audio Button #1" on the remote, It'll switch me to the component video?
(In case the previous question wasn't clear) If I program the mapping into the receiver (component [A] <-> [Audio 1 (2TV)], what happens if I push on the remote, "AV #2" then "Audio #1". Would I get whatever video signal is active on the overloaded 2 (Composite, Component or HDMI) plus Audio from [Audio 1 (2TV)]? Or would selecting "Audio #1" on the remote change the video input back to what is essentially the overloaded "AV #1" on the remote minus the default audio of [AV 1 (1BD/DVD)]?
If you're concerned the answer won't clear anything up, let me know and I'll draw up a diagram using the A2010 images of the rear panel and the remote and create use cases...

To make things slightly simpler, I do not plan on connecting any HDMI devices to the first 4 HDMI ports. The last 3 hdmi ports will remain dedicated for hdmi devices.
post #15 of 21 Old 05-06-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately this does conflict with what walbert said though.

No, walbert didn't say anything about the RX-A1010 specficially but what he did say about receivers in general also applies to the RX-A1010. He's apparently unaware that the component inputs are reassignable on the RX-A1010 and is talking about a different possible solution.

Quote:

Anyways, to let me get this right. If I program Component [A] paired with [Audio 1 (2TV)] in the receiver menus, if I hit "Audio Button #1" on the remote, It'll switch me to the component video?

If you set it up like I said, if you press button marked AUDIO 1 on the remote you'll see the video connected to the component [A] jacks and hear the audio connected to the AUDIO1 jacks. If there doesn't happen to be a signal present on the component [A] jacks at the time then you'll see the receiver's wallpaper instead.

Quote:

(In case the previous question wasn't clear) If I program the mapping into the receiver (component [A] <-> [Audio 1 (2TV)], what happens if I push on the remote, "AV #2" then "Audio #1".

If you haven't also assigned component [B] to AUDIO2 as I suggested and left it at its default assigment (AV2) then when you press the button marked AV 2 on the remote you'll see the video thats connected to either the HDMI jack labeled AV2, component jacks labeled [B] or composite jacks labeled AV2 in that priority. If there isn't a signal from any of these inputs you'll see the receiver's wallpaper. You'll either hear the audio connected to the HDMI jack labeled AV2 or the audio jacks labeled AV2, again in that priority.

If you have reassigned component [B] then it will work like I described in the previous paragraph except the component jacks won't be one of the possibities. You won't ever see anything from a component source when you press AV 2 on the remote because you no longer have any of the component jacks assigned to AV2.

In either case, if you then press the button marked AUDIO 1 it switches the input as I've already described. There's no memory of having pressed AV 2. Once you press AUDIO 1 you'll see either component [A] video or the wallpaper.

To simplify things a bit I've left out what happens if you're using S-Video or coaxial/optical digital audio. If you do use these connections then the S-Video has a higher priority than composite, but lower than HDMI or component. Coaxial/optical has higher priority than analogue audio but lower than HDMI audio. The automatic choice of audio can be temporarily overriden manually.

If you setup the receiver like I described in my previous message then you will have no overloaded inputs whatsoever. AV1-4 will be connected using composite video and analogue audio cables only, AUDIO1-4 will be connected using component video cables and analogue audio cables only, and AV5-7 will be connected using HDMI cables only. Each input has its own unique video connection and each video connection has its own unique input. The same is true for audio connections.

What walbert was warning you about won't apply in this configuration because the receiver never has to automatically choose between video or audio connections.
post #16 of 21 Old 05-06-2012, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No, walbert didn't say anything about the RX-A1010 specficially but what he did say about receivers in general also applies to the RX-A1010. He's apparently unaware that the component inputs are reassignable on the RX-A1010 and is talking about a different possible solution.

Basic Dungeons & Dragons rules: Specific overrules generic.

Quote:

If you set it up like I said, if you press button marked AUDIO 1 on the remote you'll see the video connected to the component [A] jacks and hear the audio connected to the AUDIO1 jacks. If there doesn't happen to be a signal present on the component [A] jacks at the time then you'll see the receiver's wallpaper instead.

Understood.

Quote:

If you haven't also assigned component [B] to AUDIO2 as I suggested and left it at its default assigment (AV2) then when you press the button marked AV 2 on the remote you'll see the video thats connected to either the HDMI jack labeled AV2, component jacks labeled [B] or composite jacks labeled AV2 in that priority. If there isn't a signal from any of these inputs you'll see the receiver's wallpaper. You'll either hear the audio connected to the HDMI jack labeled AV2 or the audio jacks labeled AV2, again in that priority.

In my examples, I am assuming that all composite and component inputs are assigned/programmed into the receiver.

Quote:

If you have reassigned component [B] then it will work like I described in the previous paragraph except the component jacks won't be one of the possibities. You won't ever see anything from a component source when you press AV 2 on the remote because you no longer have any of the component jacks assigned to AV2.

This is better than I was envisioning!

Quote:

In either case, if you then press the button marked AUDIO 1 it switches the input as I've already described. There's no memory of having pressed AV 2. Once you press AUDIO 1 you'll see either component [A] video or the wallpaper.

Sweet!

Quote:

To simplify things a bit I've left out what happens if you're using S-Video or coaxial/optical digital audio. If you do use these connections then the S-Video has a higher priority than composite, but lower than HDMI or component. Coaxial/optical has higher priority than analogue audio but lower than HDMI audio. The automatic choice of audio can be temporarily overriden manually.

I've left out svideo for simplicity. I think I only have one composite device that could also use svideo, and it would be a replacement. Not a concern, but a bonus if it just works.

Quote:

If you setup the receiver like I described in my previous message then you will have no overloaded inputs whatsoever. AV1-4 will be connected using composite video and analogue audio cables only, AUDIO1-4 will be connected using component video cables and analogue audio cables only, and AV5-7 will be connected using HDMI cables only. Each input has its own unique video connection and each video connection has its own unique input. The same is true for audio connections.

Epic! Huge thanks!

Quote:

What walbert was warning you about won't apply in this configuration because the receiver never has to automatically choose between video or audio connections.

Yep, that's what I'm now understanding.

Now it's time to find a retailer in my area that sells it and give it a whirl.
post #17 of 21 Old 05-06-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I should clarify that I *was* speaking generally - not about any specific component. Ross has made excellent points throughout, and I agree with him.
post #18 of 21 Old 05-06-2012, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I should clarify that I *was* speaking generally - not about any specific component. Ross has made excellent points throughout, and I agree with him.

Absolutely, that's the stance I took. Generic vs Specific. Your input has still been invaluable...
post #19 of 21 Old 05-06-2012, 01:55 PM

I used to be in the same situation as you are. I ended up consolidating equipment, not hooking up the stuff I almost never use. If I only use something maybe once a year I just bring it out when I am going to use it and attach it to the front inputs. I like it a lot better, works and looks much cleaner.
post #20 of 21 Old 05-06-2012, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorror View Post

I used to be in the same situation as you are. I ended up consolidating equipment, not hooking up the stuff I almost never use. If I only use something maybe once a year I just bring it out when I am going to use it and attach it to the front inputs. I like it a lot better, works and looks much cleaner.

As far as I know, I have found something that meets my needs. Now I just need to find a store that sells it. I tried the usual suspects around here. Future Shop, Best Buy, Source, london drugs... none of them really carry anything that high end.
Too bad A&B sound is long gone, they would've had it...
I don't want to order online in the freak chance that something doesn't actually quite work as discussed here. Not that I don't trust the guys here, but in case something like a hardware revision causes it to come up short.
post #21 of 21 Old 05-06-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

The HTR-8083 might be still be availble in store at Future Shop or Best Buy, though it's been sold out online for a month or two now. This is the Canadian big box labeling of the previous years RX-A1000, and has the exact same back panel as the RX-A1010.

I know 2001 Audio Video has the RX-A1010 but I'm guessing since you mentioned London Drugs that there aren't going to be any stores in your area.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page