Opinion/Suggestion - Returning Onkyo TX-NR616 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-05-2012, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bought an Onkyo TX-NR616... I've had it all of 12 days and for the life of me it's driving me mad.... all because I can't power the damn thing on with the remote.
It seems a lot of new owners are having issues with their new line-up. I've been back and for with support on their forum... and they say there working on it. Thing is, I don't have forever to wait if I want to return this item. So, (I think) I've made the decision to return it and purchase something different... in a similar price range.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Denon AVR2312CI ?

I want something that has 6-8 HDMI inputs, networked, 7.1, and maybe some cool features like internet radio, airplay.... and maybe a cool app to operate it.
I also want something that works well with my Harmony 1100 remote.

Any opinions on the Denon or suggestions on another receiver and why would be super! Thanks in advance.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-07-2012, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iklein View Post

Bought an Onkyo TX-NR616... I've had it all of 12 days and for the life of me it's driving me mad.... all because I can't power the damn thing on with the remote.
It seems a lot of new owners are having issues with their new line-up. I've been back and for with support on their forum... and they say there working on it. Thing is, I don't have forever to wait if I want to return this item. So, (I think) I've made the decision to return it and purchase something different... in a similar price range.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Denon AVR2312CI ?

I want something that has 6-8 HDMI inputs, networked, 7.1, and maybe some cool features like internet radio, airplay.... and maybe a cool app to operate it.
I also want something that works well with my Harmony 1100 remote.

Any opinions on the Denon or suggestions on another receiver and why would be super! Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Bump up... I'd love some feedback if anyone would like to chime in.
Thanks again.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-07-2012, 12:58 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 1524
The Onkyo 616 features the lowest version of Audyssey 2EQ which "cannot" EQ the subwoofer whereas any Denon model with Audyssey has at least Audyssey MultEQ which has more speaker filters than 2EQ and "can" EQ the subwoofer. The Denon 2312CI is more on par with last year's Onkyo 709 both of which offer the even more advanced Audyssey MulEQ XT. Review post #2 in the Denon XX12 Owner's thread linked in my sig, as more than likely the 1912 or 2112CI would meet your requirements rather than having to upgrade to the 2312CI. Consider Onkyo for features and Denon for better audio fidelity. Your choice. Also note that the new 1913 and lower models were just released (2113CI and 2313CI this month sometime) so the XX12 models are likely on clearance sales now at most resellers.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 7 Old 05-07-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Yamaha RX-V673

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #5 of 7 Old 05-07-2012, 06:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Get the Denon 2312, it'll be better than that Onkyo 616 you had. Plus it has Airplay and can be controlled by a iphone/iPad or Android phone.

Afro GT
post #6 of 7 Old 07-22-2012, 02:37 PM

I,m on my 3rd 616 in 3 months. 2 with the issue of the remote failing to turn on device and one with the DVD output lacking video. I must pull plug to get video to reset and manually turn power on a few time every week. All problems occur the next day. Crutch field thinks I,m nuts? Now I know better. Calling ink to see if they will fix. If not what's a good choice other than Onk?
post #7 of 7 Old 07-27-2012, 08:01 AM

I had just bought a new 60" Samsung 3D 7000, Samsung 3D blueray and had an old Onkyo I loved for the sound. The old Onkyo just didn't have the punch so I bought the Onkyo TX NR 616 because the last Onkyo I had worked flawlessly for 15 years. I loved my old one and figured the new one would be the same, boy was I wrong... At first I couldn't get it to work at all so thinking that times had changed and I was out of date I actually hired a guy who was a PRO with 27 years experience installing home systems. That's when I got the news from him that their were problems with the new Onkyos. After he left it worked fine for 1 day and I had the HDMI thing start to happen and voices wouldn't match the brand new Blueray. I tried all the setting to get it to match and it wouldn't. He came back out and reset the system and it worked that night but the next day the same thing happened. I took that one back and got a new one and called the Onkyo support team on the phone for 1 and a half hours and we finally got it running. But the next morning it wouldn't work so I called the support team again waited 40min to talk to someone, spent over an hour on the phone and tried getting the July 2012 firmware installed but it wouldn't take it and they finally told me to take it back and get another. They suggested getting a new one and before I set it up do the firmware update so back to the store I went for my third one. Guess what, the same thing happened and I called Onkyo again and after 1 hour and 30 min of waiting and not being able to get someone on the phone I finally gave up. I bought a Yamaha Aventage and set it up in minutes. It sounds awesome love the features and have had absolutley no problems with it. Onkyo was a huge disappointment and their support team suck!
MD
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr616
Gear in this thread - Nr616 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page