post #31 of 38 Old 07-27-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Def Fan View Post

Again, is there anyone that knows Yamaha's way of doing things that can tell me how to set up this receiver for TrueHD?

No AVR configuration is required; you have only to select the TrueHD soundtrack on the player . . . while playing a BD which includes a TrueHD soundtrack of course! biggrin.gif
_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 07-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Perhaps he is using an optical cable and not hdmi
post #33 of 38 Old 07-27-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 348
He's right, as long as you are connected via HDMI to your receiver and have selected the TrueHD soundtrack you should be good to go. The receiver just accepts the signal that is being sent.

Until you get a BD movie with TrueHD audio, you'll never know it works.

Unless there is some special setting on that Yamaha that I've never heard of that's all there is to it.

By the way, what Blu Ray player do you own?

Also I've noticed you have never once said that your receiver shows DTS-HD or DTS-MA on the front panel when watching a blue ray movie. You always say plain old DTS, which leaves me to believe you're not getting the full hi-def audio even though your receiver is capable of handling the signal. This leads me to believe your BD player is not configured properly. So you need to provide more info about your player, I think that'll help.

Afro GT
post #34 of 38 Old 07-27-2012, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

In post 27 you quoted the answer to your question.

If you mean the Blu-ray player's settings, that could be the problem. Supposedly it supports TrueHD as well, but when I go into it's audio settings, which by default is set to "Bitstream" for TrueHD, and "On" for BD secondary audio, it explains in this setting it converts TrueHD to Dolby Digital, and DTS HD to DTS. My receiver supports Dolby Digital Plus, but maybe it's not supporting standard Dolby Digital in 5.1 discrete channels.

Anyway, since it also says if you want to experience the original audio, set BD secondary audio to Off, I did set it to off. Why would the default mode be set this way? It's a Blu-ray player and most BDs have DTS HD or TrueHD, not just DTS or DD, which it's converting the signal to by default. If this is the problem, my apologies to Yamaha's way of doing things. I'm now thinking Panasonic's Blu-ray players are set up a bit strange from the factory, at least this one.

I won't know until I get a hold of another BD with TrueHD, but I'm thinking this should fix the problem.
post #35 of 38 Old 07-27-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Turn off secondary audio. It'll probably work then, I'm about 98% sure of that. This also means you never got DTS-MA either, you were just getting plain DTS.

One of my players is a Panasonic and you need to turn off secondary audio.

I bet if you put in a blu ray movie with DTS-MA or DTS-HD it'll show that on the display now.

Your receiver definitely supports Dolby Digital 5.1. doesn't mean every TrueHD movie also includes a DD 5.1 soundtrack though.

Afro GT
post #36 of 38 Old 07-27-2012, 05:53 PM

Yeah I'm sure that will fix it too, but why the heck would Panny put their latest gen players in that mode from the factory?

I happened to have "The Vow" on hand, which is only DD 5.1, but even that seems to sound more "HD" now. Can't wait to try an actual TrueHD or DTS HD.

BTW, I found this great site that has tons of details on Blu-ray movies and a great filter system for anyone interested.

http://www.blu-raystats.com/index.php

(EDITED)
After borrowing a neighbor's TrueHD Blu-ray version of Batman Begins, I'm happy to report that TrueHD is working fine now. I also found despite Netflix's Blu-ray info on The Vow indicating it's Dolby Digital, that it plays in DTS HD Master. The format not showing on the receiver was a matter of having to scroll through the Options button on the receiver's remote.

I'd prefer to be able to leave it in a mode where it always shows the format, but since I switch AV modes a lot to go from TV, to PC, to BD, the display keeps resetting to the basic input mode screen. It appears I'm going to have to keep going back to that Options button and scrolling through to Format every time I want to see what audio format is being decoded be it BD or TV.

It would be nice if the remote had a Format button to quickly navigate to it, but can't have everything I guess.
post #37 of 38 Old 07-28-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yeah I'm sure that will fix it too, but why the heck would Panny put their latest gen players in that mode from the factory?

My Panny BD35 came the same way with secondary audio on, but it is in the manual so not hard to figure out.

So it turns out the majority of your problems came from the Panny BD player not being configured correctly. At least you got it working.

Afro GT
post #38 of 38 Old 07-28-2012, 03:11 PM

Yeah it's working great now, only problem is it's really a hassle to have to scroll through the receiver's Option button to get to Signal Info, which shows the format again after changing inputs from TV, to PC to BD. It's only 3 button taps (Option, ^, Enter), and takes all of a few seconds, but doing it repeatedly gets annoying. Maybe I'm missing something but it seems there ought to be a way to get the receiver's display to revert to a screen that shows what you want it to after changing inputs, vs basic info you don't need.

On the BD player, I still can't understand why they'd put it in secondary audio mode at the factory. One of my friends said maybe it's because some people just use them with a TV instead of receiver and surround speakers. I argued as cheap as HT in a Box systems are anymore, most probably hook them up to some kind of HT system. Most all current systems are going to be DTS HD and TrueHD compatible too.

I guess it's my bad for not thoroughly checking both BD and Receiver settings though. I literally lost several months worth of HD audio in my movies because of it. Maybe they assume those just using a TV are the ones less likely to know how to change such settings, and those with HT systems would, so they lean toward the settings used for those with lesser gear and knowledge.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page