The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 100 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2971 of 10886 Old 11-07-2012, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFreak View Post

Personally I get fed up with WiFi inconsistency and prefer to use wired. I use an all wireless N network and tried all the tricks to make sure my speeds were at maximum potential but it still could not completely alleveiate the random slow downs/lag/drops(due to unavoidable interference) that are inherent with wireless technology to begin with plus when you live in a house with 5 people and dozens of wireless connected devices you run into too many bottlenecks.
It made me so mad I went and bought a CAT 6 wireless networking kit, a 16 port switch, and then proceeded to wire my entire house with CAT 6. Every room (with the exception of 2) now has 2 CAT 6 connections and if more are needed in a room I just buy a cheap switch/router and place it in the room.
Entire house is now blazing fast and can stream/share anything.
+1

I went somewhat beyond that. biggrin.gif

Last month, I replaced my old router/Gb switch combination with new Cisco SMB 1000-base-T router/managed switch. Retained old cat6 cabling though, as it doesn't wear out.

Now, my on-line streaming is blazing fast. Much better security as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 10886 Old 11-07-2012, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey ra View Post

Questions: I am a little confused about the Surround Parameters of "Loudness Management" (which is defaulted to ON) and Dynamic Compression (which is defaulted to AUTO). I believe these have something to do with volume management of Dolby sources (if I am reading the manual correctly). What is benefit of these and do most of you turn these defaults to the "off" so that a more "pure" sound is output? Thanks!

Okay - I managed to turn off the "loudness management' setting for Dolby TrueHD mode. According to the OM (p 100) this turns "Dynamic Compression" and "Dialogue normalization" off - but it appears these are only off for Dolby TrueHD sources. I still get "dialogue normalization" applied to other Dolby sources (i.e. Dolby Digital 5.1) so I guess the Dialogue normalization function cannot be turned off for non-Dolby TrueHD sources (see, OM p.100 and p.124). For those much more experienced with these AVRs - is my belief/assessment correct?
post #2973 of 10886 Old 11-07-2012, 09:44 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2072 Post(s)
Liked: 1766
Yup.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #2974 of 10886 Old 11-07-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 1605
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviSunPatel View Post

2. Before running oddessey, I have set my sub volume to 50%, crossover at 80...but I don't know what to set for the 0/180 and what the reciever type is....digital or pro logic ???? are these settings ok?

To add to what others have said -- your subwoofer switch should be set to the "digital" mode, which deactivates the crossover knob (because a digital receiver handles the crossover for you).

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #2975 of 10886 Old 11-07-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpopperez View Post

It seems to me that the pioneer may have been louder I know they have the same wattage.

just turn up the volume wink.gif the volume scale on different receivers varies.

also remember that Dynamic Volume restricts how loud things get, especially on the stronger Medium or Heavy settings. So if you are trying to crank it, turn Dyn Vol off.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #2976 of 10886 Old 11-07-2012, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

The custom 2ch settings were removed from all xx13 models except for the 3313ci.
It is also correct that "Direct" modes bypass bass management, so all speakers which have an input signal will receive the full range on that channel, and the subwoofer will only play if there is an LFE input (e.g. a 5.1 track) or if it is set to LFE+MAIN (double bass).
You CAN control the upper limit of the "double bass" by the crossover frequency assigned to the speakers. For example, if your front speakers are set to small/80Hz and you are listening to music in DIRECT mode, with LFE+MAIN enabled, the FR/FL speakers will play a full range signal and the subwoofer will output double bass below 80Hz.

thx for ur reply.

Would I be able to set LFE+MAIN ONLY for the direct/puredirect modes so I wont have doublebass when in sorround mode? or asked in another way. can i have lfe+main set in one mode and not the other? or is it a universal setting now?
Couse i was thinking of setting a crossover at 60hz. Idealy then id be able to use pure-direct mode and have a 60hz crossover and at the same avoid double bass in sorround 5.1 ect . is this possible?
post #2977 of 10886 Old 11-07-2012, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

LFE+MAIN only affects speakers that aren't set to "small". So if you have your speakers set to small with a crossover, then the setting won't "hurt" anything by causing double bass.

When you switch to Pure Direct / Direct mode, the speakers are all treated as "large" (no bass management) so the LFE+MAIN setting will kick in and provide double bass. So it will basically work how you want automatically, as long as you set all speakers to "small".

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #2978 of 10886 Old 11-07-2012, 02:34 PM

Okay, I do this :

On the motherboard settings, set the audio to go out the optical output (see motherboard Owner's manual). Connect an optical cable from the motherboard to the optical input on the 1912 (or do you have a 1913 as this is the XX12 Owner's thread?). You can then change the source name for the optical input on the 1912 to another source name if you choose using the Input Assign (Digital) setting.

Testing the speakers with the sound blaster truststudio only the front speakers works.

Testing the speakers using the manual calibration into the Denon's menu', all the speakers works fine.

Any clue ?

Thanks a lot!
post #2979 of 10886 Old 11-07-2012, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Testing the speakers with the sound blaster truststudio only the front speakers works.

what surround mode are you in? You may just be getting a 2ch input and the receiver is thus defaulting to STEREO mode. If it's only a 2ch input source, you can matrix it to 5.1 by using other surround modes (see this post for how to control surround modes: http://batpigworld.com/wp/?p=150)

if you think you should be getting a 5.1 input, you need to check your computer output settings and ensure that it is properly set up to output 5.1 digital audio over the optical cable.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #2980 of 10886 Old 11-07-2012, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I have a 5.1 system (polk black stone)

To be honest I think I should go with the optical because I think it's a better choice (for sure i'm wrong, right ?! smile.gif)

Anyway, looks like I have right setting on my Pc (5.1 channel selected) but using the optical, I only hear the 2 front speakers.

My motherboard have 5 jack connector too, but using a cable (the Y adapter) I can only hear the front because I can plug only in the green hole (the front one).
I'm pretty confused, I don't know if I need more cable or other things ...

Any help is very appreciated smile.gif
post #2981 of 10886 Old 11-07-2012, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm trying to help but you still didn't answer my question -- have you checked the INPUT SIGNAL and what the SURROUND MODE is on the receiver?

Forget about the analog jacks on the PC card, you can't use those with this receiver anyway. You have to use optical to get digital, multichannel sound. But the receiver can only play what you give it, so if it's getting a 2ch signal when you think it should be getting 5.1 then you need to check the SOURCE.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #2982 of 10886 Old 11-07-2012, 03:17 PM

In the meanwhile, over my Ps3 everything work great, multichannel with the optical.

Sorry if I didn't reply to your question, but I need to know where I can check the input signal.
I mean, I know where I should look, but I have different window opened !
Over the receiver I think I have the multichannel (but I'm not sure how check it!)

Thanks!
post #2983 of 10886 Old 11-07-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschissler View Post

Another problem I'm having with my new 3313 is operating other devices with the remote. I have a Sony CD changer and the only code for a Sony CD player is 40000, but entering the code is never successful. I have a Oppo blu ray player and there isn't even a code listed for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Consider purchasing a Harmony remote with over 225,000 devices in their data base.
Not what I was hoping to hear. I guess it irritates me to spend over $1000 on a higher end receiver and the remote is mostly useless. The remote for my old Onkyo worked fine with other devices and had the IR learning feature, which the Denon doesn't even have.
post #2984 of 10886 Old 11-07-2012, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyEyes View Post

In the meanwhile, over my Ps3 everything work great, multichannel with the optical.

Sorry if I didn't reply to your question, but I need to know where I can check the input signal.
I mean, I know where I should look, but I have different window opened !
Over the receiver I think I have the multichannel (but I'm not sure how check it!)

Thanks!

if your receiver is networked the easiest way to check is in the web browser, then select the "Information" menu.

you can get the same information in the GUI by navigating to General > Information.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #2985 of 10886 Old 11-07-2012, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschissler View Post

Not what I was hoping to hear. I guess it irritates me to spend over $1000 on a higher end receiver and the remote is mostly useless.

on the other hand, if you are willing to plop a grand on a receiver, and presumable a whole lot more money on the display and other components, you should be willing to drop $50-100 on a universal remote which will take your system to the next level in terms of customization and ease of use.

trust me, you will not regret spending that money. wink.gif

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #2986 of 10886 Old 11-07-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:

if your receiver is networked the easiest way to check is in the web browser, then select the "Information" menu.
you can get the same information in the GUI by navigating to General > Information.

Sound Mode : Multi CH stereo
Input signal : dolby digital
post #2987 of 10886 Old 11-07-2012, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

One more piece is the number of channels on the input side, i.e. is it "Dolby Digital 3/2/.1" or is it "2/0/0"? The former would indicate a 5.1 input, the latter a 2ch stereo input.

Also, multich stereo is probably not the right surround mode, this just replicates a stereo signal to all channels. Try pressing the "Movie" button and see what options are available -- read the link I gave above for more info: http://batpigworld.com/wp/?p=150

If you see "Dolby Digital" as the first option in the list, then you know you are getting a full 5.1 digital input signal. If you see things like PLII Cinema then you are getting a 2ch input.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #2988 of 10886 Old 11-07-2012, 09:26 PM

Bi amping for monitor 50?
Should I bi amp the monitor 50s to the denon 1913 and how do I do it and does it make any difference in sound?

Buffalo, NY
post #2989 of 10886 Old 11-07-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushdrops View Post

very easy - with any source just hit the very bottom , ro buttons - Movies, Music , Game etc. --
- hold button , choose Multi Channel Stereo (now that I have a set of very nice speakers all the way around that match, much strereo material sounds well via 5 channel stereo, especially useful for talk radio to fill the sound thru the room / house

Thanks mate, good to know!

I went and had a play and found that the problem was a setting in the Dune media player, have changed that so that the Denon handles all the volume and its now all good.
post #2990 of 10886 Old 11-08-2012, 04:18 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpopperez View Post

Bi amping for monitor 50?
Should I bi amp the monitor 50s to the denon 1913 and how do I do it and does it make any difference in sound?

No, not likely to make any difference, but if you want to give it a go ... remove the jumper bars connecting the extra set of speaker posts on the M50s .... on the AVR set Amp Assign to "Bi-amp" and connect another set of speaker wires from the Surr Back/Amp Assign speaker posts on the AVR to the other set of speaker posts on the M50s. Rerun Audyssey.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #2991 of 10886 Old 11-08-2012, 05:14 AM

Quote:

One more piece is the number of channels on the input side, i.e. is it "Dolby Digital 3/2/.1" or is it "2/0/0"? The former would indicate a 5.1 input, the latter a 2ch stereo input.
Also, multich stereo is probably not the right surround mode, this just replicates a stereo signal to all channels. Try pressing the "Movie" button and see what options are available -- read the link I gave above for more info: http://batpigworld.com/wp/?p=150
If you see "Dolby Digital" as the first option in the list, then you know you are getting a full 5.1 digital input signal. If you see things like PLII Cinema then you are getting a 2ch input.

That's what I have right now :

Sound Mode MULTI CH STEREO
Signal PCM ZERO
Format 2/0/.0
Fs 48kHz
post #2992 of 10886 Old 11-08-2012, 05:40 AM
585-645-1006

^^
So that information indicates that the PC is only passing a stereo signal to the AVR. You'll need to check the PC (or video card) Owner's manual to see if DD 5.1 over optical is a possible setting, otherwise your other option is to select "DD PLII" on the 1913 in order to simulate a 5.1 signal from the 2.0 signal currently being received.

post #2993 of 10886 Old 11-08-2012, 05:45 AM

post #2994 of 10886 Old 11-08-2012, 05:52 AM
585-645-1006

So that indicates the sound card can pass DD 5.1 out the optical connection so you just need to find the correct setting on the card to change it from stereo 2.0 to DD 5.1, although ensure you are playing a DD 5.1 audio track.

post #2995 of 10886 Old 11-08-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

So that indicates the sound card can pass DD 5.1 out the optical connection so you just need to find the correct setting on the card to change it from stereo 2.0 to DD 5.1, although ensure you are playing a DD 5.1 audio track.

Thanks!

Okay, I will try to "play" with the setting and find a way to get the 5.1 and I let you know!

Anyway I can check the Denon's gui and see if the format change from 2/0/0 to 3/2/1 ...

Anyway, one of my problem with the truststudio control panel is I can only balance left and right when I use the SPDIF-Out .

In the Audio setting of Win7 the propriety of the SPDIF-Out, in the advanced tab, in the format I can only choose between a lot of option, but only 2 channel.
For example :

Channel : 2,16 bit, 192000Hz
Channel : 2,24 bit, 48000Hz
Channel : 2,24 bit, 96000Hz
post #2996 of 10886 Old 11-08-2012, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Anyone have a link to the audyssey guide/setup/faq I should read before running it on my receiver? I need to rerun it, and want to read the guide first so I do it correctly

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Denon AVR-2113CI || Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts) || Polk Monitor 50's (Rears) || Polk CS2 (Center) || Acoustech PL-200

Xbox Live : BoDEAN96 -- Feel free to add me (msg me you are from AVSForums) and we can game.
post #2997 of 10886 Old 11-08-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 91
^^^

it's in the signature of a post 2 posts above yours... wink.gif

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #2998 of 10886 Old 11-08-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post

Anyone have a link to the audyssey guide/setup/faq I should read before running it on my receiver? I need to rerun it, and want to read the guide first so I do it correctly

I've consolidated a whole bunch of Audyssey info and links here: http://batpigworld.com/wp/?page_id=37

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #2999 of 10886 Old 11-08-2012, 01:13 PM

Nothing for me ... I can't figure how to set the 5.1 frown.gif
I'm pretty short of option ... frown.gif
post #3000 of 10886 Old 11-08-2012, 01:44 PM

New question regarding Denon 2113CI - my volume display shows it starting at zero and going up from there to whatever volume number I choose (sometime in the 40s and 50s to reach "normal" audile levels). My old Denon 3808 was always set at a negative number (i.e. -32 db) and even approaching zero was way to loud. Have I done something to cause my 2113CI to display volume differently or does Denon not use the negative numbers to display volume anymore? I do have the Audessy engaged but the Loudness off and the Dynamic Volume off.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1513 Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread - 2113ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page