The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 112 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3331 of 10697 Old 11-28-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 1062
SAVE procedure is done through the web browser interface.

That as well as a link to adjusting channel levels is covered at the beginning of this thread. You don't have to worry about "messing up" the calibration, you can always RESTORE the Audyssey calibrated level values later on, and tweaking the levels doesn't "mess anything up" anyway wink.gif

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 10697 Old 11-28-2012, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bookworm

Yes, I had been looking at the same thing about, using the blower fans and the set thermal controller. Using the thermal controller I can get around not having a switched or smart power outlet, bonus! My temp has been right around 90-92 in the space above the unit, and yes having the fans still on after the unit has been powered off should be the better option.
http://www.coolerguys.com/codublfancoc.html

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556098690.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm370 View Post

VFR,
I use one of the older ones of these that don't have the variable fan speed controllers: Doesn't matter to me because when the AVR is on I can't hear it anyway. For 10 bucks more you can get one with an internal temp sensor that turns on the fans when it reads 87 degrees F and off when it drops if you don't want to use a smart switch. I might swap mine out and take if off the smart switch now that I think of it because if I turn the receiver off after a long time of playing at DTS levels, I think it would be better for the fan to continue to cool it and then shut down. Oh well, there goes another $79 bucks! eek.gif Wanna buy my old one? wink.gif
http://www.coolerguys.com/ccstandk.html
I use a Smart Home USA Smart Strip which when adjusted for the right trigger current draw (when the Denon goes into Sleep mode) works perfectly to turn off the AVR cooler, the cabinet fan and the home made exhaust fan I installed on my 63" Samsung Plasma TV. It is truly amazing the heat the Plasma will generate, that little fan throws out a lot of heat and my thermal detector gun showed that dropped the back panel temps on the TV by about 35F and the front panel by about 20F.
Here is the Smart Switch, I also use it to turn off the subwoofers in my Mythos ST's http://www.definitivetech.com/products/mythos-st , my Sony 12" Subwoofer, and any other little power suckers like the Google TV, Apple TV, Wii, etc. So when the Denon powers on the GTV and ATV all get a fresh boot! smile.gif and no more 'what the hecks? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P1QJXQ
BW
post #3333 of 10697 Old 11-28-2012, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

there are so many reasons that the 1713 is worth it over the 1613.
microprocessor resets are rare, don't be mislead by internet forums where most people post to complain about problems. People don't post just to say "everything is working great!".
I can tell you, personally, in my experience, having owned many Denon units, I have NEVER performed a microprocessor reset other than when intentionally trying to start with a "blank slate" (e.g. after buying a used or open box model or before selling one).

That is a good point batpig, thank you again!

Also, aside from the upgraded Audyssey, I didn't think there was that much of an improvement over the 1613. I won't make use of a second zone, an extra HDMI port, or the web interface (assuming I don't need to reset the microprocessor). Does the 1713 have any other improvements over the 1613 that I am not aware of? If not, is the upgrade to MultEQ XT worth a 20% price increase and the hassel of ordering a 1713 and shipping the 1613 back?
post #3334 of 10697 Old 11-28-2012, 01:01 PM

Thanks for the info batpig. So with the pre-outs to the amp (like the AudioSource AMP-100?) I could have both sets of speakers going at the same time, or just one or the other?

Also, not sure if I like the idea of having to control the volume with a separate remote from the receiver.
post #3335 of 10697 Old 11-28-2012, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

@ Option -- if you REALLY won't use any of that, fine, but I think you may be underestimating the usefulness of the web browser interface and the potential for needing that extra HDMI input / source name. You've pretty much got it though in terms of the upgrades:

- MultEQ XT instead of regular MultEQ
- Zone 2 capability with pre-outs
- Extra HDMI input + extra source name ("Media Player")
- Web interface
- A tiny bit more power (slightly better power supply)

Only you can decide if it's "worth it" though... I can tell you that the XT will make your system sound better -- clearer, more detailed, and "smoother" overall integration. But it depends on how much you really care about the extra cost and the extra incremental improvement in sound quality... we all have to decide for ourselves how obsessive we are about the pursuit of that extra bit. If you are happy with your current system, then roll with it smile.gif

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3336 of 10697 Old 11-28-2012, 01:14 PM

Liked: 11
I have been there done that before with receivers. I almost went with the 1613 and I am already glad I didn't. 3 years ago I bought an Onkyo for the man cave I now wish I had paid $80 more for the next model up.

By the way, I am looking for another small sub to replace the Polk Audio PSW10 which is being gifted. For the 12x12 room. I can get the PSW111 at a good price here but not sure that's any kind of an upgrade and I don't see pulling the Crankenstein built 15" monster out of the crawl space. That would vibrate a few homes off the escarpment here.
post #3337 of 10697 Old 11-28-2012, 01:16 PM

Thanks again Batpig, you and this forum are an awesome resource for noobs like myself.

Can you direct me to a link where I can learn more about the web browser interface? I don't know much about it and I checked begining of this thread but didn't find much there.
post #3338 of 10697 Old 11-28-2012, 03:31 PM

Has anyone had any luck getting their DirecTV remote to control the AVR-1713 power?

My DireCTV Box has AVR-1712 on the list (Several variations) so I choose that. However, it only seems to change volume and doesn't effect the power on/off.

Anyone have any luck with this?
post #3339 of 10697 Old 11-28-2012, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanduse1 View Post

Has anyone had any luck getting their DirecTV remote to control the AVR-1713 power?
My DireCTV Box has AVR-1712 on the list (Several variations) so I choose that. However, it only seems to change volume and doesn't effect the power on/off.
Anyone have any luck with this?

My Directv remote will shut off my 1713 if I switch to AV mode at the top and hit the PWR button below the input selector. There may be a better way out there, but that's what I have been doing
post #3340 of 10697 Old 11-28-2012, 06:36 PM

I'm having issues with my 1713, WMC 7, and Samsung DLP (HLS 6287) holding the picture through boot up. Once windows boots past the progress bar and just to the blue splash screen the picture and sound drops leaving the TV with a no signal message. If I unplug the HDMI cable to the TV and plug it back in it all works just fine.

I've tried disabling the ATI\AMD audo detect service, updating the drivers with no results. In the AMD control panel it says that the receiver is the video display not the TV. It seems to be something with the display detection right before windows starts not anything to do with the reciever, but prior to this I had the media center connected directly to the TV via HDMI and the TV passing L\R to an old 120W\ch Sony system for sound with no issues.

I will also add that randomly every 20-200 seconds the speakers crackel and pop when no sound should be coming from them. They never did this before and are rated to handle the power (volume way down anyways).

Any ideas? Bad HDMI cable? This certainly won't fly with the wife and I'll have to return if I can't resolve.
post #3341 of 10697 Old 11-28-2012, 08:57 PM

How do you listen to music and watch tv/ps3 at the same time?
post #3342 of 10697 Old 11-29-2012, 12:48 AM

Picked up a 2113ci new for $480 from an authorized dealer :X upgrade from an 2.1 HK receiver with some old polk monitor 7's attached and a psw505, moving to 7.1 for movie viewing instead of primarily music.
Love the audyssey!

Ik this probably isn't the best place to ask but, if you own it... you may know what works vs what sounds excellent. I do not know much about speakers but I am an audiophile more geared toward headphones..
Anyone have any speakers recommendations that pair up with this nicely? I picked up Polk monitor 50's and a cs2 center for very cheap, need front R&L and rear R&L & a sub. Was looking at polk 75t x2 + psw505 (newegg deal) and monitor 40's or something for the rear. But i'm really a home-theater audio virgin so any input helps.
post #3343 of 10697 Old 11-29-2012, 01:37 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 1402
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancmor17 View Post

I'm having issues with my 1713, WMC 7, and Samsung DLP (HLS 6287) holding the picture through boot up. Once windows boots past the progress bar and just to the blue splash screen the picture and sound drops leaving the TV with a no signal message. If I unplug the HDMI cable to the TV and plug it back in it all works just fine.
I've tried disabling the ATI\AMD audo detect service, updating the drivers with no results. In the AMD control panel it says that the receiver is the video display not the TV. It seems to be something with the display detection right before windows starts not anything to do with the reciever, but prior to this I had the media center connected directly to the TV via HDMI and the TV passing L\R to an old 120W\ch Sony system for sound with no issues.
I will also add that randomly every 20-200 seconds the speakers crackel and pop when no sound should be coming from them. They never did this before and are rated to handle the power (volume way down anyways).
Any ideas? Bad HDMI cable? This certainly won't fly with the wife and I'll have to return if I can't resolve.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_L12

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3344 of 10697 Old 11-29-2012, 01:42 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64deuce View Post

How do you listen to music and watch tv/ps3 at the same time?

Connect the video source with a component cable and then use the "Video Source" setting while listening to the music.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #3345 of 10697 Old 11-29-2012, 01:44 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option View Post

Thanks again Batpig, you and this forum are an awesome resource for noobs like myself.
Can you direct me to a link where I can learn more about the web browser interface? I don't know much about it and I checked begining of this thread but didn't find much there.

The Web Control feature is discussed starting on p. 76 in the 1713 Owner's manual which can be downloaded from Denon's website.

post #3346 of 10697 Old 11-29-2012, 09:56 AM

Thanks for all the useful info everyone. I may be replacing my AVR-3801 with a 1913 or a 2113. Main reason for replacing is obviously HDMI, HD audio support, and maybe networking. I say maybe networking because I'd like to do all of my networking through a Roku.

So I have a question about these units. Can the network input go to powered Zone2? I know Zone2 is analog only for other sources but I'm not sure if that applies to network. I want to be able to stream Pandora to my back patio and a Roku does not have analog outs.

Thanks!
post #3347 of 10697 Old 11-29-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17seconds View Post

Thanks for all the useful info everyone. I may be replacing my AVR-3801 with a 1913 or a 2113. Main reason for replacing is obviously HDMI, HD audio support, and maybe networking. I say maybe networking because I'd like to do all of my networking through a Roku.
So I have a question about these units. Can the network input go to powered Zone2? I know Zone2 is analog only for other sources but I'm not sure if that applies to network. I want to be able to stream Pandora to my back patio and a Roku does not have analog outs.
Thanks!

I'm probably just misunderstanding your question but doesn't Roku just connect via HDMI? What do you mean by a network input?
post #3348 of 10697 Old 11-29-2012, 10:08 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17seconds View Post

Thanks!

Yes, the network source will play out of all zones on the receiver. The only niggle comes in the case of air play. If you start streaming airplay at the receiver, it will fire up zone 1 (or take over zone 1 if it's already on) and play the music out both zone 1, and zone 2/3 (if those are set to the network source).
post #3349 of 10697 Old 11-29-2012, 10:11 AM

Liked: 12
I have just installed my 3313 and am having some trouble. My main source is HTPC running XBMC 11 With HD Audio…the first on that was available…not the most recent. It has been working fine with my Onkyo(until it died).

In XBMC I get audio in the menu and with sources like music and Itunes trailers. When I go to bluray movie I get an error; “Failed to initialize audio device” I get no sound, ad very slow frame rate. I didn’t change anything in XBMC. Im wondering if it is a setting I’m missing in the Denon

Thanks
post #3350 of 10697 Old 11-29-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option View Post

I'm probably just misunderstanding your question but doesn't Roku just connect via HDMI? What do you mean by a network input?

It looks like Strider answered. I was asking if the Network source on the Denon will go to Zone2. Yes, the Roku connects via HDMI. HDMI audio will not go to Zone2, so if I want to do Pandora I can't play it on my back patio Zone2 with Roku. The only solution then is to use Pandora on the Denon.

Actually, I may end up being a tightwad and getting this and keeping my AVR-3801. But I need to figure out the pros/cons of these setups. biggrin.gif For less than $50 I'd have pretty much everything I'd have by spending ~$400-$500 on one of these new receivers.
post #3351 of 10697 Old 11-29-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Connect the video source with a component cable and then use the "Video Source" setting while listening to the music.

but you cant do airplay/fm/network while watching tv/ps3?
post #3352 of 10697 Old 11-29-2012, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Query of AVR-3313 sound mode functionality.

When I momentarily press any of the coloured sound mode buttons on remote (Music, Movie or Game) I get a momentary audio drop-out the first time I press button. Any subsequent attempts are fine and no audio drop-outs. Is this normal behaviour?
post #3353 of 10697 Old 11-29-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64deuce View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

but you cant do airplay/fm/network while watching tv/ps3?

you should be able to using that "Video Source" setting, again as long as the video you are trying to watch isn't an HDMI signal. The Video Source setting does NOT work with HDMI inputs.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3354 of 10697 Old 11-29-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:

you should be able to using that "Video Source" setting, again as long as the video you are trying to watch isn't an HDMI signal. The Video Source setting does NOT work with HDMI inputs.

Hmmm maybe I'm wrong on this but I thought my old receiver could. Is it just that the 1613 can't or do non of the receivers work in that way? Kinda bummed out about this.
post #3355 of 10697 Old 11-29-2012, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

well what was your old receiver? The HDMI restriction applies to pretty much any receiver... it's really the fault of HDMI as a format, not Denon or any other brand specifically.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3356 of 10697 Old 11-29-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:

well what was your old receiver? The HDMI restriction applies to pretty much any receiver... it's really the fault of HDMI as a format, not Denon or any other brand specifically.

yamaha 661 maybe I'm wrong though. The HDMI wouldn't pass video for a long time on it so I can't definitively remember. Thanks for the help. I remember you helping me in the energy thread years ago iirc. Still need to find a c100 bookshelf for a good price to use as my center speaker lol

Edit:
As far as sound and picture quality goes, do you think I'll lose any by going hdmi to component cable?
post #3357 of 10697 Old 11-29-2012, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

for the cable box, component video shouldn't be any downgrade. For the PS3, there is the potential for video downgrade with Blu-ray and other 1080p content, as well as the fact that you won't be able to get hi-rez audio off Blu-rays. It's kind of a tricky situation with HDMI.

Didnt' see any C-100's but I found a C-C100 center speaker on eBay which is the perfect match for the C-100's: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Energy-Speakers-CC-100-Center-Speaker-/110982372685

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3358 of 10697 Old 11-29-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Well my 2 month old 2113ci shot craps today! frown.gif

I had been having an issue where I would turn it on and the sound wouldn't be whatever was coming from the source, but more like a weak AM radio station playing in the background with lots of noise. It didn't happen often and usually just either bumping an hdmi cable on the back or pulling the power would bring things back to normal. But alas, not today. Nothing I did made a change.

So now I get to test out Denon's warranty. So far I'm not impressed. Called the repair center in St. Louis as instructed around 10AM this morning, now it is 2:45PM and no return call, no RMA, no nothing. Not impressed with this at all! Makes me wonder just how long it will actually take to get it to them and get it back, repaired to me.

Fortunately no one bought my HK AVR247 so I've got that hooked up now.

Lloyd
post #3359 of 10697 Old 11-29-2012, 01:02 PM

I just got an AVR-1713 and I have a question about the multiple DVD and Cable/Sat inputs.

I have an old DVD player which I have connected directly to my TV via component video and to the 1713 via the DVD analog audio inputs.

I have a Squeezebox receiver connected to the CBL/SAT coaxial input and renamed to "Squeezebox".

My DVR is connected to the Blu-Ray HDMI input and has been renamed to "Cable"

My question is, can I use the DVD and CBL/SAT HDMI inputs for other devices, or are they unavailable as long as I am using the analog DVD inputs and the coax CBL/SAT input.

I've searched the thread, but haven't been able to find anything that clarifies this for me.
post #3360 of 10697 Old 11-29-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

the HDMI inputs on the 1713 model are not reassignable, so the "names" are the limiting factor. You CAN reassign the two digital audio inputs (optical and coax) -- this is covered on pg 93 of your manual. So you could for example reasssign the Squeezebox to "Media Player" and then it will free up the CBL/SAT name.

Your DVD player should have a digital audio output though, you should really use that so you can get 5.1 digital audio instead of analog.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1513 Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page