The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 121 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3601 of 10593 Old 12-06-2012, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGala View Post

Thanks for your reply. I believe I did try that also (settng the TV Audio to OPT1 and then choosing TV Audio on the remote) but it didn't work either. I'll try that again though tonight and report back.

Ok, one more thing to double check when using optical is to make sure that your TV is set to output audio through optical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 10593 Old 12-06-2012, 11:43 AM

Liked: 11
I wanted to direct sound to the TV speakers for comparison purposes. I tried stereo cables from the Cable box to an AV in source on the Samsung 6/650 TV. The TV does not pickup the source at all. Does anyone have suggestions that does not include temporarily swapping another HDMI cable to the cable box?
post #3603 of 10593 Old 12-06-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 894
that sounds like a TV issue, there is probably some setting that allows you to "mix" the analog audio with the HDMI video.

anyway, you can pass through HDMI audio from the receiver directly by setting the "HDMI Audio Out" setting to TV under Video > HDMI Setup.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #3604 of 10593 Old 12-06-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: close to Milwaukee, WI but far enough from the hood!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyrapper18 View Post

Is the AVR 2113ci too much for monitor60, monitor30, cs1, and a psw505 sub?
Its my first system so want it too last. if the 2113 is too much for it. what do you suggest?? Thanks.

I use the 2113CI with Monitor 60's, a CS1, and some Phase Tech bookshelves in the rear. I also use an Energy sub. I think they are a great match and can push them as hard as I like and they do not sweat. Don't worry about that at all.

Pat
post #3605 of 10593 Old 12-06-2012, 12:34 PM

I keep getting occasional audio dropouts on my 3313CI. I've had the unit for several months, and had hoped updates would fix the problem, but no joy.

The problem happens most often when watching Uverse TV. This comes from a Cisco ISB7500 DVR connected via HDMI. I am 100% certain the dropout is not on the source material because I can "rewind" the DVR and play the exact same thing again, and the second time the audio does not drop out.

The audio dropout lasts only a fraction of a second, and then the audio ramps back up to the original volume in 1-2 more seconds. I have tried changing the various audio settings that attempt to level or equalize in response to the loudness program material (Dynamic EQ and also the various compression and volume settings) but that hasn't helped.

I read the posts on the first page about audio dropouts with HDMI, but those mentioned changes in firmware in the DVR, and I have not had any such changes.

Any ideas on what else I can try? Is this a defect in the unit?

[edit] I found a similar (although not identical) post here:

Denon Audio Dropout Problem With DTS/Dolby, Please Help!
post #3606 of 10593 Old 12-06-2012, 12:35 PM

Thanl you.
post #3607 of 10593 Old 12-06-2012, 12:39 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macleod52 View Post

Ok, one more thing to double check when using optical is to make sure that your TV is set to output audio through optical.

Thanks again, regarding this point I am sure 100% that the TV is set to output the audio through optical. I hope it's not a problem with the TV!

HT Setup
TV: Samsung UN65ES8000
AVR: Denon AVR-3313CI
Front Speakers: Polk Audio LSi15 x 2 | Center Speaker: Polk Audio LSiC | Rear Speakers: Polk Audio LSiF/X x 2
Subwoofers: Polk Audio PSW-505 x 2
Amp: Emotiva XPA-5
post #3608 of 10593 Old 12-06-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 317
John,

If you've already verified that your HDMI cables are OK, you might try plugging the DVR into different HDMI inputs on your receiver. Make sure the cable is well seated.

HDMI dropouts, both audio and video, are often caused by loose connections or marginal signal levels. Because the receiver's internal wiring is slightly different getting to the HDMI circuit, the receiver's different HDMI inputs have slightly different sensitivities.

Another workaround is to connect the DVR's HDMI cable directly to the display for video, while using a digital audio cable (optical or coax) to get the DVR's audio to the receiver.

Selden
post #3609 of 10593 Old 12-06-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
anyway, you can pass through HDMI audio from the receiver directly by setting the "HDMI Audio Out" setting to TV under Video > HDMI Setup.

Yes thanks batpig, that works great and the gal now gets that the audio is now so much better as I switched it back and forth just viewing HDTV!!! She still wants me to test hooking up a PolkAudio SurroundBar for comparison purposes thinking we can do away with the TL250 speaker set???
post #3610 of 10593 Old 12-06-2012, 03:07 PM

Hi all,

I'm deciding between either the AVR-1713 or the AVR-2113CI to power a full set of the newer generation Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers (SP-FS52, -C22, -BS22) plus an undetermined subwoofer. I'm not especially interested in the step-up features of the 2113CI (Zone 2, 7 channels, etc.), so my question is, will the higher power of the 2113CI (95 watts/channel vs. 80 watts/channel) produce noticeably better sound than the 1713?

And, of course, it's possible I would upgrade my speakers in the future.

Thanks!
post #3611 of 10593 Old 12-06-2012, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

No. The power difference is meaningless. Only pay more if you want the extra features.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3612 of 10593 Old 12-06-2012, 03:27 PM

Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a 1713 Denon receiver and am in the process of trying to bitstream hd audio (DTS-HD) to the receiver from an m2ts container using MPC-HC. This is my first foray into a serious AV setup so it's all a little knew to me. Please forgive my ignorance. I've done lots of reading, but am at a loss as to what I should do next. I've followed the guides out there for setting up the LAV filters with MPC-HC with no luck.

The receiver is not decoding the HD audio (DTS-HD) and there is no sound period. The video (VC1) is also incredibly choppy and just plain freezes when I skip through it. Weirdly enough, when I disable sending the sound out through the Denon AVR in the sound control panel, I can play the video without any choppiness AND I can hear sound off my regular 2-channel PC speakers. It's not HD audio at this point though but at least the file plays functionally. This leads me to believe the problem is related to the AVR, but maybe not. You guys are the pros :P

I'm really at a loss for what to try next, so I'm looking to others who use this receiver as opposed to looking at the general guides on LAV filters, which I've followed to a tee (or at least I believe I have).

Anyone else struggle to get HD audio working from m2ts with this line of receivers and find a solution?

I'm running a 32 bit Windows 7 PC. I've got two video cards. The GTX 275 and the GT 520. When using my receiver in the living room I disable the GTX 275 and use only the GT 520's HDMI out for video and bitstreaming purposes. I was informed that the latter card was a good choice for bitstreaming HD audio.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Update 1: I've noticed that when I select "Use DTS-HD framing for all DTS types" in the LAV audio settings, the m2ts (with VC1) is no longer choppy and sound comes out of the receiver, but it isn't HD audio. PL II Cinema is the closest I get to surround sound.
post #3613 of 10593 Old 12-06-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

No. The power difference is meaningless. Only pay more if you want the extra features.

Awesome, thanks for the prompt response. And your statement isn't limited to the fact that I'm running these particular Pioneer speakers, right? I.e., if I upgrade my speakers later, does that extra power then becomes worth having?
post #3614 of 10593 Old 12-06-2012, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

no, it doesn't matter what speakers you have. 95 watts vs. 80 watts is nothing, the difference between the two is literally less than 1dB in max headroom... and you are unlikely to be running them at the max to begin with.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3615 of 10593 Old 12-06-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:

no, it doesn't matter what speakers you have. 95 watts vs. 80 watts is nothing, the difference between the two is literally less than 1dB in max headroom... and you are unlikely to be running them at the max to begin with.

Great, thanks! That is music to my ears. (And hopefully soon, this will be literally true.)
post #3616 of 10593 Old 12-06-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushdrops View Post

my 2 month old 2113 doesn't output such a noise but the Yamaha 10 yr old AVR that it replaced used to produce such a buzz - that I got used to but took some time ...., i don't miss the buzz

Thanks for the response, I found out that when I changed the IP Control setting from 'Always On' to 'Off during Standby' the receiver would actually turn itself off(as in the LED would be off rather than red) and the noise disappeared. There's still a minor hiss when the receiver is on (noticable if I really listen for it) but the problem is much reduced. So I'll now rephrase my initial question. smile.gif

Does anyone on their 2313 have their IP Control set to 'Always On' not have this high pitched hiss/buzz/hum? Also does anyone else hear a slight hiss from their unit when it's turned on? Or should it be pretty much dead silent? It's just that I can still probably return it for a new one if it sounds like there's an issue...
post #3617 of 10593 Old 12-06-2012, 04:56 PM

I have a Denon 1713 and a Polk Audio SoundBar to test.

This is a 42" single speaker passive unit. I finally found the manual that says to hookup and NOT use the receivers auto setup this way.

For best music and movie sound quality performance in smaller rooms:
1. Connect the subwoofer (a PSW10) using the speaker level inputs connected to the same L & R front channel speaker outputs as the wires from the SurroundBar.
2. In your receiver’s Speaker Set-up Menu, set subwoofer to “Off,” “No” or “None.”
3. Set Left and Right speaker channels to “Large” and Set Center and Rear channels to “Small.”
4. In the receiver’s “Speaker Distance” Set-up Menu, select the same distance for all channels with a “Channel delay” to the minimum setting (in Ms) that it allows for the center and surround channels.

I was looking to just test the soundbar using the manual settings suggested then Restore after I re-connect the existing speakers. There is a good chance I will gift the soundbar to someone who really wants and needs it later so it would be good to know how best to set it up for them.

Has anyone had experience with this or similar units who can confirm that the above makes sense or has other suggestions?
post #3618 of 10593 Old 12-06-2012, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGCanuck View Post

Quote:

Yes thanks batpig, that works great and the gal now gets that the audio is now so much better as I switched it back and forth just viewing HDTV!!! She still wants me to test hooking up a PolkAudio SurroundBar for comparison purposes thinking we can do away with the TL250 speaker set???

dude, resist!! You just bought the new speakers, put your foot down biggrin.gif

also setting up the soundbar using the instructions you note above will maximize your chances of the wife preferring the new setup wink.gif

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3619 of 10593 Old 12-06-2012, 05:21 PM

Can someone please help me in figuring out how to play the TV Audio through my Denon 2113CI? I have a Samsung 3D TV ( UN55ES 8000) that I am trying to play audio from the tv, directly through my speakers, via the AV receiver. The audio source I have tried so far (on the tv) are Youtube, netflix, pandora and all the smart hub stuff loaded onto the tv, but none will play through my AV (but plays through my tv speakers). Here is my configuration: I have my cable box connected to my AV via HDMI. My DVD is also connected this way. The Denon AV then HDMI out to my Samsung TV. aLL Components (sound to external speakers) worked going in the direction -from the DVD player or cable box through the AV receiver --to the tv, but no sound can be played backward when the tv is the source sound.

I called Denon and they told me to turn off the "anynet" (which supposedly give up control from the tv or DVD player to the AVR), but still a no go. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fixed it. BTW, I also have turned on HDMI control in HDMI setup in the AV Denon, but still a no go. Any help is appreciated in finding solution. I am starting to belive that a 1-month system cannot be faulty already. This is the first time I have tried using the tv audio mode on the receiver.

BTW, my Onkyo did this flawlessly and effortlessly.
post #3620 of 10593 Old 12-06-2012, 05:23 PM

Only analog sources can be played in the 2nd room
Thats what it said for the 2113ci page on mewegg. what does this mean? I can not have wireless speakers outside or.....? Thanks.
post #3621 of 10593 Old 12-06-2012, 05:34 PM

i cant watch tv while listenitng to apple tv. im using components and set video source to cable/sat. what am i doign wrong?
post #3622 of 10593 Old 12-06-2012, 06:35 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
^^
As long as there isn't also an HDMI source set to CBL/SAT, then selecting the component video input via the "Video Source" setting should work.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3623 of 10593 Old 12-06-2012, 06:37 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyrapper18 View Post

Only analog sources can be played in the 2nd room
Thats what it said for the 2113ci page on mewegg. what does this mean? I can not have wireless speakers outside or.....? Thanks.

It means that only external sources connected to the AVR via an analog (red/white) cable and on board network sources can pass to Zone 2 (either speaker posts or pre-outs).

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #3624 of 10593 Old 12-06-2012, 06:41 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder67 View Post

Can someone please help me in figuring out how to play the TV Audio through my Denon 2113CI? I have a Samsung 3D TV ( UN55ES 8000) that I am trying to play audio from the tv, directly through my speakers, via the AV receiver. The audio source I have tried so far (on the tv) are Youtube, netflix, pandora and all the smart hub stuff loaded onto the tv, but none will play through my AV (but plays through my tv speakers). Here is my configuration: I have my cable box connected to my AV via HDMI. My DVD is also connected this way. The Denon AV then HDMI out to my Samsung TV. aLL Components (sound to external speakers) worked going in the direction -from the DVD player or cable box through the AV receiver --to the tv, but no sound can be played backward when the tv is the source sound.
I called Denon and they told me to turn off the "anynet" (which supposedly give up control from the tv or DVD player to the AVR), but still a no go. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fixed it. BTW, I also have turned on HDMI control in HDMI setup in the AV Denon, but still a no go. Any help is appreciated in finding solution. I am starting to belive that a 1-month system cannot be faulty already. This is the first time I have tried using the tv audio mode on the receiver.
BTW, my Onkyo did this flawlessly and effortlessly.

You must turn ON the HDMI-CEC feature (Anynet+) on the TV as well as set audio to "external speakers. Ensure the HDMI cable from the AVR is plugged into the HDMI(ARC) input on the TV (generally #2). Then set HDMI Control on the AVR to On and you should be good to go.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_E5

post #3625 of 10593 Old 12-06-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
As long as there isn't also an HDMI source set to CBL/SAT, then selecting the component video input via the Source Select setting should work.

i had an optical audio going from apple tv to one o the optical inputs. So obviously now i couldnt see what was on the tv but was trying to just use it via my iphone and airplay. I dont get why this is dificult!!! besides a cd player which i dont have, or a usb dock, what are my options for playing music via the receiver while watching tv? How can i see what im selecting music wise if i cant use hdmi via my apple tv? I cant use pandora, xm or apple tv.
post #3626 of 10593 Old 12-06-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
also setting up the soundbar using the instructions you note above will maximize your chances of the wife preferring the new setup

So whatever are you implying???rolleyes.gif

I hooked it up to the Sony 520 to test the soundbar so my Audyssey setup is intact. The soundbar actually wasn't bad at all for basic TV but but otherwise, fogetaboutit! I tuned the Denon and the TL250s to a Michael Buble Christmas show last night and that pretty much sold the wife. I feel bad pimping Mike out that way.

Amp 2 will now drive the Paradigms for pure music so everybody will be happy so I just need to find a better sub for the mancave.

I am really like the Denon so far.

Thanks again batpig.
post #3627 of 10593 Old 12-06-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:

I'm with you... the bottom line though is that it's definitely the SOURCE and not the receiver. You might want to consult in an owner's thread for the Panasonic BDP to see how others are able to get bitstream HD audio to the receiver.

After another frustrating day with this receiver, I think we're going back to the store...

I tried everything:

1. Went through all the recommended settings from the users on the Panny BDP-220 owner's thread, resetting the player, etc.
  2. Re-set the AVR-1713 microprocessor and set it up from scratch.
  3. Installed new HDMI cables between the BDP and the Denon.
  4. Just for shits'n'giggles, borrowed an entirely different DBP (Samsung something or other) and tried that.

No change... I still cannot get either DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD to be decoded by the Denon when the BDP is set to bitstream.

Setting the BDP to output PCM will get the audio through, but my dad doesn't want to live with a workaround.

Batpig, can you think of anything else before I box this thing up and take it back?
post #3628 of 10593 Old 12-06-2012, 06:59 PM

Just ran setup on my new 1713 (All 6 listening positions for Audyssey MultEQ XT) and sounds great!

Question though - should I manually change crossover points? I have towers up front, and small center and surrounds.

Also, the subwoofer EQ levels aren't accessible in 'Parameter Check > Equalizers' where the system shows what's been done to each band. Is this normal? How do I confirm that equalization has been performed on the sub channel?

As an aside- I thought MultEQ XT applied hundreds of EQ filters (I assumed this meant very narrow bands) not just the 9 or so bands per speaker I've seeing in the EQ settings?

Thanks for any input! Love the amp (sounds noticeably crisper than my Onkyo - startlingly so)

Chris
post #3629 of 10593 Old 12-06-2012, 07:01 PM

Hi,

I have a Denon 1913 that has been working perfectly (owned for about 5 months) but lately perhaps since last week I keep getting the following strange issue:

Randomly the input switches to Network and the volume increases to 74. This happens regardless of what is the current volume or input, I.e component, tv or HDMI. Sometimes it may happen frequently every 10 minutes or so, sometimes an hour will pass and it will not exhibit his behavior.

When this behavior happens I also noticed that Internet Radio stops working, it keeps spinning forever

I have already done both a hard and soft reset with no luck. The hard reset did help fix Internet radio.

Network settings are set to DHCP and IP Control is set to off in standby . Also got latest firmware

Has anybody had similar issues? Not sure if it is a hardware or software issue or if it is covered under warranty
post #3630 of 10593 Old 12-06-2012, 07:04 PM
585-645-1006

Crossover points that were set < 80Hz should be raised up to 80Hz while any set > 80Hz should be left as is. Note that with XT, you can actually do 8 mic positions using the Manual Setup. Review the Audyssey 101/FAQ Guide linked in my sig for more information on mic placement as they don't actually go where folks sit, rather simply within a 2'-3' radius around the #1 mic position. The bands shown in the manual EQ represent a very crude picture of what Audyssey has done, although lower frequency EQ is not shown.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1513 Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page