The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 124 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Receivers, Amps, and Processors > The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

Receivers, Amps, and Processors

jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie
12:32 PM Liked: 1829
post #3691 of 10934
12-08-2012 | Posts: 47,149
Yup ... correct Chris. smile.gif

@rgdawson -
Although the Denon manuals have MUCH to be desired and definitely could be written much clearer, that section on p. 103 only applies to the Zone 2 (HDMI) output, while the section on p. 130 is referring to Zone 2 output from either the Zone 2 pre-outs or when Amp Assign is set to Zone 2 for the Surr Back/Amp Assign speaker posts.
12:37 PM Liked: 1829
post #3692 of 10934
Quote:
Originally Posted by postcorner View Post

Hello All,
I am having an audio problem when raising and lowering the volume on my Denon AVR-3313ci receiver when using a Oppo BDP-103 bluray disc player. The best way I can describe it is when I'm doing anything with the Oppo BDP-103 i.e playing a bluray, streaming through Netflix or Vudu, I hear static or a crackling sound coming from my speakers and it only happens when I am raising or lowering the volume.

Clearly the issue is source related. Make sure to try each and EVERY HDMI input on the AVR (even those currently used by other HDMI devices) as they are not all created equal. Also try adding an optical cable from the 103 to see if the same issue still presents. Note that although optical cannot pass the HD audio, it's unlikely you will be able to discern any difference in sound so this would be a work around until you can resolve the issue and or decide to replace the 103.
12:41 PM Liked: 1829
post #3693 of 10934
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjoesne View Post

I am unable to do an update on my 1713 receiver, if i do a 10 minute no power "reset" it goes back to a "update retry"-loop where it restarts all the time. if i disable the notifications on upgrade and update the problem disappears. However the reason i wanted to update was to make airplay work, but whenever i try to manually update it either tells me that the firmware is the latest version or that login failed if i just chose to run the update procedure without checking..
Where can i see what version of the firmware is the latest?
Why does it continue to retry to update when i shut it off and remove the power for 10 minutes?
Why does the airplay return an "internal error" message?
Is there a network port i have to open or redirect on my router to make this update work?
I just bought this thing at it does not work at all, the official information about this unit and its firmware is a really hard to find.
All in all, this product is a major disappointment! I have to drive at least two hours to get to the store where i bought it. frown.gif

Please review post #6 in this thread.
jdiesel77's Avatar jdiesel77
03:27 PM Liked: 10
post #3694 of 10934
12-08-2012 | Posts: 35
Ok...many annoying things with my 3313ci. Using airplay, i click aiplay to denon and it doesnt automatically switch to play the music. I have to click the network button, then it will switch. incredibly annoying. Used to switch automatically, doesn't anymore. Any ideas?

Also, blu ray player is hooked up and it still says no signal when i click blue ray as the source.

Finally, while attempting to airplay video over apple tv2 , the picture never shows up. It just stays on the menu screen and i hea intermittent sound. the apple tv is hooked up directly to the router then hdmi to the receiver. no clus what the prob is...i thought this receiever was supposed to be sweet! total PITA so far
jdiesel77's Avatar jdiesel77
03:34 PM Liked: 10
post #3695 of 10934
12-08-2012 | Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post

The idea is that you would run the video cable (HDMI or whatever) from your cable box directly to the HDMI-2 on your TV. You would run the HDMI out cable from the Denon to HDMI-1 on your TV. As you said, you would run the audio cable (digital coax, optical or analog) from your cable box to the input on the Denon.
When you want to watch TV, you select the appropriate input on the Denon (CBL/SAT or whatever) and the HDMI-2 input on the TV. When you want to enjoy other content (like Internet Radio or whatever) you would select the appropriate input on the Denon and HDMI-1 on the TV.
I'm going to do something similar, except that I purchased an HDMI splitter:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=8204&seq=1&format=2
I plan to run the HDMI output from the cable box to the splitter and then into the HDMI input on the Denon and to the HDMI-2 input on the TV. The Denon will be connected to HDMI-1 on the TV.
Now, for 99% of use, I can leave the TV on the HDMI-1 input. When I select CBL/SAT, it displays to the TV (via the Denon to HDMI-1 on the TV). When I'm listening to Pandora and want to see whats on the Cable channel, I can just switch the TV input to HDMI-2 and I get what's coming from the cable box (via the HDMI splitter).
I hope to have all this set up this weekend, so we'll see how it works in practice.

Mark thanks or the reply. Im confused why u are using a splitter? whas the adavantage over option 1? no optical audio? Also, I have an hdmi extender, so i would need the splitter to go to the extender. Here's what im thinking:

Splitter to extender.
Hdmi from fios to input 1 on splitter.
Optical audio from fios to denon
hdmi out from denon to splitter port 2 input

I don'y have an ipod dock o cd player. My only methods of music are airplay, apple tv2 and the on board apps, pandorra, xm, etc.

This the correct setup?
Tachy's Avatar Tachy
06:12 PM Liked: 10
post #3696 of 10934
12-08-2012 | Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman_Johnny View Post

Yesterday's firmware update for the Denon at least made Pandora useable, but it did not fix all of the Pandora problems. I'm still having the same old problem when using Pandora... it shows internet radio at the top and consequently the proper navigation buttons are not visible at the bottom of the screen. Very frustrating indeed.

Yes, I have a 4520 and find it a bit frustrating as well. The ability to skip to the next song as well as the ability to rate songs and even add a song to the favorites icon seems to be almost random.

Pandora works fine on my TiVo, so clearly related to the Denon.

Also, about the same time as my firmware upgrade this week, I lost the ability to play flac and mp3 files from my network router hard drive via media server input. Not certain it is connected to the firmware upgrade, but it does seem somewhat temporally related.
MarkEHansen's Avatar MarkEHansen
07:36 PM Liked: 13
post #3697 of 10934
12-08-2012 | Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiesel77 View Post

Mark thanks or the reply. Im confused why u are using a splitter? whas the adavantage over option 1? no optical audio? Also, I have an hdmi extender, so i would need the splitter to go to the extender. Here's what im thinking:
Splitter to extender.
Hdmi from fios to input 1 on splitter.
Optical audio from fios to denon
hdmi out from denon to splitter port 2 input
I don'y have an ipod dock o cd player. My only methods of music are airplay, apple tv2 and the on board apps, pandorra, xm, etc.
This the correct setup?

Let's just consider Pandora and the Cablebox as inputs for a moment (I'm actually using a DirecTV DVR, but that doesn't really matter). What I wanted was the ability to see the video from the Cablebox while listening to Pandora (or any other source for that matter). The idea is that while listening to Pandora, I want to be able to view the Cablebox video so I can scan the program guide, set up recordings, etc. I don't need to hear the Cablebox while doing this, so I want to continue listening to Pandora.

This is my setup (I just got it all connected and it works, by the way):

Cablebox HDMI to the HDMI splitter Input

HDMI splitter output 1 to the CBL/SAT HDMI input on the Denon.
HDMI Out on the Denon to the HDMI-1 input on my TV
HDMI splitter output 2 to the HDMI-2 input on my TV

Now, when I'm enjoying any of my sources via the Denon (like Pandora, etc.), my TV is on HDMI-1.
When I'm listening to Pandora (or whatever) and want to be able to see the Cablebox video, I just switch the TV to HDMI-2. When I'm done, I just switch the TV back to HDMI-1 and it displays whatever is currently selected on the Denon.

If that's not what you're trying to do, then I may just be confusing the issue for you. If that's the case, I'm sorry. The above setup works very well for me.
10:54 PM Liked: 1829
post #3698 of 10934
Can any 1613 owner that is using a PS3 confirm whether passing a 1080p video signal is actually being played as 1080p or is being played as 1080i by the AVR? Thanks.
postcorner's Avatar postcorner
07:50 AM Liked: 10
post #3699 of 10934
12-09-2012 | Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Clearly the issue is source related. Make sure to try each and EVERY HDMI input on the AVR (even those currently used by other HDMI devices) as they are not all created equal. Also try adding an optical cable from the 103 to see if the same issue still presents. Note that although optical cannot pass the HD audio, it's unlikely you will be able to discern any difference in sound so this would be a work around until you can resolve the issue and or decide to replace the 103.

Hello JD, thanks so much for the response, much appreciated! I was able to do some further troubleshooting last night and discovered that this condition also exists while using my PS3 to play certain discs. I would think that this new discovery tells me that it is now a problem with my Denon and NOT the Oppo BDP-103.

I was able to determine that this issue does not happen when playing regular music CD's, or older DVD's. It was not easy to figure out but what I did notice is that the problem is worse when the audio output is in the following formats:

"English DTS-HD MA 5.1 48k"
"English Dolby Digital 5.1 48K"
"English Dolby Digital Stereo 48K"

I experimented with audio settings on both the Oppo BDP-103 and the PS3 but had no luck. I also experimented with Audio settings on the AVR and noticed that when I turn off 'Dynamic EQ' it improved the condition, but did not totally eliminate the problem. I hope that gives you a clue of what can be going wrong???

It seems that the AVR is having difficulty handling certain audio formats.

Do I have a defective AVR? Do I need to reset? Any ideas on what I can do to further troubleshoot?

Thanks in advance for any help on this frustrating situation!!
08:09 AM Liked: 1829
post #3700 of 10934
12-09-2012 | Posts: 47,149
Could be if it now presents on a second source. Try the microprocessor reset (p. 176) after using the Web Control feature (p. 100) to SAVE the config file to a PC. Refer to the info below ....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_E10
Teletodd's Avatar Teletodd
09:04 AM Liked: 10
post #3701 of 10934
12-09-2012 | Posts: 82
How do i connect wi to 1713 and get sterio sound? I only got sound out of 1 speaker?
dizzyrapper18's Avatar dizzyrapper18
09:07 AM Liked: 10
post #3702 of 10934
12-09-2012 | Posts: 83
i know the iphone 5 is a great way to use the denon but what about the samsung galaxy s3? is the main app for android compatable for this phone?
i went to the store and looked at both but the iphone is so small. they added length but not width. i currently have a htc evo 4g and the move up to samsung s3 is even bigger but very much customizable as whre the iphone 5 is hellava lot small but also has its own features. mainly the airplay and panorama pic which is the only reason why i might get it but leaning toward the s3 if the denon app work well with it.
Any info on each?
09:13 AM Liked: 1829
post #3703 of 10934
It should be although note that this app gets really bad reviews so might be worth reading a few to understand what the issues might be.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dmholdings.denonremoteapp&hl=en
09:14 AM Liked: 1829
post #3704 of 10934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletodd View Post

How do i connect wi to 1713 and get sterio sound? I only got sound out of 1 speaker?

Check for a loose speaker wire connection and confirm both speakers work.
AMGala's Avatar AMGala
09:15 AM Liked: 13
post #3705 of 10934
12-09-2012 | Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder67 View Post

Can someone please help me in figuring out how to play the TV Audio through my Denon 2113CI? I have a Samsung 3D TV ( UN55ES 8000) that I am trying to play audio from the tv, directly through my speakers, via the AV receiver. The audio source I have tried so far (on the tv) are Youtube, netflix, pandora and all the smart hub stuff loaded onto the tv, but none will play through my AV (but plays through my tv speakers). Here is my configuration: I have my cable box connected to my AV via HDMI. My DVD is also connected this way. The Denon AV then HDMI out to my Samsung TV. aLL Components (sound to external speakers) worked going in the direction -from the DVD player or cable box through the AV receiver --to the tv, but no sound can be played backward when the tv is the source sound.
I called Denon and they told me to turn off the "anynet" (which supposedly give up control from the tv or DVD player to the AVR), but still a no go. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fixed it. BTW, I also have turned on HDMI control in HDMI setup in the AV Denon, but still a no go. Any help is appreciated in finding solution. I am starting to belive that a 1-month system cannot be faulty already. This is the first time I have tried using the tv audio mode on the receiver.
BTW, my Onkyo did this flawlessly and effortlessly.
Quote:

You must turn ON the HDMI-CEC feature (Anynet+) on the TV as well as set audio to "external speakers. Ensure the HDMI cable from the AVR is plugged into the HDMI(ARC) input on the TV (generally #2). Then set HDMI Control on the AVR to On and you should be good to go.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_E5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGala View Post

I have this exact same issue with my ES8000 series Samsung. I forgot to turn HDMI control on to see if that will work, so I will try that tonight.

I can now confirm that jdsmoothie's instructions did work to send audio from my TV to the AVR. Thank you!
dizzyrapper18's Avatar dizzyrapper18
09:33 AM Liked: 10
post #3706 of 10934
12-09-2012 | Posts: 83
definatly not worth the trouble of downloading the app just to have it not work unless they actually fix and maintain performance which doesnt seem like the case as of now. i guess i could say screw it and just get a harmony remote to play music and all the other stuff (moviies from blue ray, game systems, and such)
a harmony can do that right?
09:34 AM Liked: 10
post #3707 of 10934
With a 1713, My bic f 12 subwoofer has a low rumble during certain newscasts and other dialogue only broadcasts. I have the dynamic eq turned on. I can turn down the volume knob on the back of the sub, but then the bass is weak when the diaglogue portion is over.
09:36 AM Liked: 1829
post #3708 of 10934
Yes, the Harmony can likely control every device in your setup, especially if in line-of-sight view of the devices, otherwise, you would need an RF to IR converter to simulate the capability of a smart phone app (ie. being able to control the AVR anywhere in the house).
Tom Ames's Avatar Tom Ames
11:07 AM Liked: 14
post #3709 of 10934
12-09-2012 | Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletodd View Post

With a 1713, My bic f 12 subwoofer has a low rumble during certain newscasts and other dialogue only broadcasts. I have the dynamic eq turned on. I can turn down the volume knob on the back of the sub, but then the bass is weak when the diaglogue portion is over.

Have you run Audyssey correctly with the sub? Nearly all owners of the Bic F12 find that to get the Audyssey setting near 0, that the gain on the back of the sub has to be set to 3 or less. Some mistakenly believe that they are not getting proper use of the sub with the gain set to such a low number. If one is used to listening to the sub with the gain set higher than that, then the bass does sound weak after setting it correctly for Audyssey.

I'd recommend ensuring that Audyssey has been run correctly, then listening to your system as set for a week or so to see if you don't actually prefer that sound to what you have been accustomed to. Then if you want more bass, you can raise the level on your remote rather than adjusting the gain on the back of the F12.
nmshah's Avatar nmshah
01:52 PM Liked: 10
post #3710 of 10934
12-09-2012 | Posts: 17
I did a search but couldn't find a solution for this. My old 80gb iPod connects ok to Denon AVR 2113ci fine. I can see the ipod connected but it doesn't output sound. It had the "Disk Mode" set and in that mode I was able to start and stop songs on ipod using denon remote but if I turn off the disk mode, I can't even use controls on the remote. All I see is spinning wheel on the unit's display screen and blank screen on connected TV. Any tips?
gliese581g's Avatar gliese581g
02:23 PM Liked: 10
post #3711 of 10934
12-09-2012 | Posts: 13
Should I not see True HD and DTS-HD listed as supported formats for my AVR-1713?

I'm trying to bitistream HD audio (in an m2ts container) using either the new XBMC with HD audio support or through MPC-HC with LAV filters. but I can't get either to work for the life of me.

Bateau's Avatar Bateau
02:49 PM Liked: 10
post #3712 of 10934
12-09-2012 | Posts: 4
I searched through the thread but can't find definitive answer. I've got an AVR-2113CI that won't stay connected to network. It's hard wired to Airport Extreme base station. The router is configured for DHCP + NAT and DHCP rage is 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.200. I tried setting up the AVR with static address of 192.168.0.110 or DHCP reservation for 192.168.0.120. Neither seems to work. I did network reset, which reset the whole receiver. That helped for a couple of days and now it's off the network again.

Any thoughts?
03:44 PM Liked: 10
post #3713 of 10934
I had the bic f 12 volume set halfway when I ran audyssey, so should I set it at 3 and re run audyssey?
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj
03:49 PM Liked: 92
post #3714 of 10934
12-09-2012 | Posts: 21,915
^^^

what is your subwoofer trim after you run audyssey?
03:50 PM Liked: 1829
post #3715 of 10934
^^
Yes. You want to lower the sub gain to attain a setting of between -3db and 0db. At present, it's likely set to -12db. eek.gif
03:57 PM Liked: 1829
post #3716 of 10934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bateau View Post

I searched through the thread but can't find definitive answer. I've got an AVR-2113CI that won't stay connected to network. It's hard wired to Airport Extreme base station. The router is configured for DHCP + NAT and DHCP rage is 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.200. I tried setting up the AVR with static address of 192.168.0.110 or DHCP reservation for 192.168.0.120. Neither seems to work. I did network reset, which reset the whole receiver. That helped for a couple of days and now it's off the network again.
Any thoughts?

You might find this article of good use to resolve your issue ....

http://www.macworld.com/article/1043844/maymobilemac.html
fatsnaps's Avatar fatsnaps
04:19 PM Liked: 10
post #3717 of 10934
12-09-2012 | Posts: 3
Having a problem with the Denon AVR-1613 unit when sending signal to L and R channel. There is a great deal of static/distortion. This gets worse when in surround mode and under certain Dolby settings. The center channel doesn't have noticeable noise, but didn't turn up unit to find the point I'd hear noise.

This happens with Blu-Ray, Xbox, Apple TV, internet radio, etc. The unit worked fine for about 2 days out of the box before the issue arose.

I've already tried:

Resetting unit
Updating firmware
New speakers (and tested speakers on other unit to make sure there are no issues with the speakers)
New speaker wires
Different HDMI cables
New surge protector
New outlet
New circuit
New outlet/circuits with all components
Changing sound settings on receiver

Pretty much out of ideas here and wondering if the unit is defective? Thanks.
04:27 PM Liked: 1829
post #3718 of 10934
That would appear to be the case, although give a microprocessor reset a few more tries to see if that resolves the issue. Do you just have a 3.1 setup or is the static only coming from the FL/FR speakers in a 5.1 setup?
craigmm's Avatar craigmm
04:36 PM Liked: 10
post #3719 of 10934
12-09-2012 | Posts: 16
Getting my new 3313 setup - so far things are going well.

I read a bunch about Audysee and Crossover settings. Post-audysee I bumped the LPF for LFE to 120Hz. Should I be modifying the Crossover setting for each individual speaker up to 80Hz? If I have the speakers set to small and the aforementioned LPF/LFE config at 120Hz do these individual Crossover settings come in to play?

My other question is with Dolby TrueHD. What is the recommended settings for Loudness Management and Dynamic Compression? How do these settings interact with the rest of the Audysee settings (Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume, etc.)?
craigmm's Avatar craigmm
04:40 PM Liked: 10
post #3720 of 10934
12-09-2012 | Posts: 16
Quote:

^^
Yes. You want to lower the sub gain to attain a setting of between -3db and 0db. At present, it's likely set to -12db. eek.gif

Post audysee my sub gain is also -12db. Should I be raising that setting?
Tags: Denon Avr 1513 Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon

Gear in this thread - 2113ci by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Subscribe to this Thread