The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 10743 Old 06-13-2012, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all. Great forum! First time post as I just purchased an AVR-1913. So far everything is working great except the SiriusXM streaming. Has anyone else used this or is anyone having problems with it? I called tech support and they didn't have any information for me other than to escalate my call. I'm still waiting for a response from them 4 days later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 10743 Old 06-13-2012, 07:09 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 1525
^^
Welcome to AVS Forum David.

While waiting on another owner who has used this feature, maybe we can troubleshoot. Do you have a "wired" or "wireless" connection to your router? Are you experiencing any issues with regular internet radio streaming? Are you following the directions listed on p. 59 in your Owner's manual? Do you already have an account with SiriusXM?

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #363 of 10743 Old 06-13-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Welcome to AVS Forum David.
While waiting on another owner who has used this feature, maybe we can troubleshoot. Do you have a "wired" or "wireless" connection to your router? Are you experiencing any issues with regular internet radio streaming? Are you following the directions listed on p. 59 in your Owner's manual? Do you already have an account with SiriusXM?

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes I did follow the instructions in the manual.

I have a wired connection. Internet radio, pandora, flickr and "meda server" streaming all work. I have a SiriusXM account that works fine via a computer/web browser. I considered it may be my account as I have a lifetime account so I decided to sign up for a free trial account as well. Both accounts appear to sign on to Sirius and display a list of channels. When I try and choose a channel it says "Now Playing" and then almost locks up. No audio. No data for the stream. Then seems to become unresponsive to any operation other than choosing another (I'm able to choose something such as DVD but I cannot navigate backwards or around within the network function).

I find that the "information" display from within the SiriusXM player is a bit odd. I forgot what you press to make it popup as I'm not in front of the AVR but I recall it saying "STATUS: ---" and there was a date for "Trial expires" even though my account should never expire. I'm curious if anyone is able to get this to work and if so what this information tab displays.
post #364 of 10743 Old 06-13-2012, 07:44 AM
585-645-1006

Okay then, this does indeed sound like a "feature" issue as it sounds like you have made a successful connection. Until another owner can chime in and let us know if it works on his AVR, suggest you use the Denon Ask A Question which is generally more reliable

In the meantime, you could try the standard troubleshooting tips, a soft reset (unplugging the AVR for 10 minutes - no loss of settings) or a hard reset (p. 126) after using the Web Control - SAVE procedure (pp. 76-77) to save your config settings to a PC file.

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #365 of 10743 Old 06-13-2012, 01:39 PM

Just ordered the AVR-2113CI from Amazon. Should be here tomorrow (love prime). My requirements are 5.1 in my TV room and the ability to send music to a second zone outside. I wanted Air Play, Pandora, streaming music from my PC, and SiriusXM so the new version was needed. I figure I may someday want to go 7.1 in my TV room so spent the extra $ on the 2113CI to get the pre-amp outs as an option. Also like that the 2113CI will pass through 4k video so there is a chance that I can use this down the road when that format may exist. My current Denon receiver has no video input (or perhaps just composite) to give you an idea of how old it is. It will be nice to reduce my wire collection though I am going to want to trade my long hdmi cables for some short ones smile.gif.

Anyway, things have come a long way since my old Denon (which is not working right anymore) - I feel like I'm buying a computer not an amp! I'll share my experience with getting it set up and report back on SiriusXM to see if anything I do can help David (or he can help me if I have trouble and he has figured it out).

-Greg
post #366 of 10743 Old 06-13-2012, 02:08 PM
585-645-1006

Thanks Greg, It would also be nice if you guys could test the new "Dialogue Level" setting, 2113CI (p. 102) and 1913 (p. 101) to see how well it works.

"JD" –

post #367 of 10743 Old 06-13-2012, 05:18 PM

I have a question about the Media Server, accessed through the network button. I have the 1913. It's connected to a router. AirPlay works (I have an iMac). Pandora works. But Media Server shows up as "empty."

The odd thing is that when I first turned on the receiver and checked Media Server, all my music files were showing up in alphabetic order. I played a file. Later I disconnected the server and plugged it in again. I immediately got a firmware update notice. Fine. Did the update.

Here's what I find. AirPlay picks up songs from iTunes, but only from the built-in Music folder. It won't stream a song from a playlist. Even though the iTunes widget is explicitly set to play through the Denon receiver only, the playlist song plays on the computer speakers. This is basically okay with me, but playing from a playlist would be more desirable.

The mystery is why I no longer can access all those same music files simply by clicking on Media Server. I suspect this is a Mac only problem, as the manual talks about Windows PCs vis-a-vis Media Server. Any confirmation or clarification would be appreciated.

J.
post #368 of 10743 Old 06-13-2012, 07:22 PM

THAT DID IT. Thanks.
It turns out that the Sony BluRay has the BD Audio set to Auto, It needs to be set to "OFF", which I guess makes it bitstream. I now have my Dolby TrueHD and other sound modes.
I can now enjoy my new Denon AVR-1613. It is awesome. Highly recommended.
Thanks, again
post #369 of 10743 Old 06-13-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 58
My stepfather treated himself for his birthday by retiring his old dinosaur of a TV, the 55" JVC RP CRT from 9 years back. The new hotness is a Samsung 6000 series 55" LCD LED 3D set. The choice was good but that meant it was time to retire his entire home theater setup, some of which was about as old as the TV. Top of the list was the ancient JVC receiver. It was a mid-range consumer receiver purchased back in the days when Dolby Pro Logic II was a new feature and having two VCR inputs was necessary for street cred. With my help, we decided to replace it with a Denon 2113CI (I own a 3805 and a 1610). Our local Denon retailer had just gotten their first batch in so we picked it up and I spent the next hour setting it up.

Clearly the best feature setting up is something anybody finally making the transition to HDMI appliances finds out...the rat's nest of cables that I installed for him years ago to handle a DVD changer, older CD player, VCR, cable box and late in its life, an Apple TV (the JVC TV did surprisingly have a DVI/HDCP port) is now replaced by simple HDMI connections. The DVD changer and old CD player were pushes aside in favor of a new Sony S590 Blu-Ray player purchased with the Denon.

Things I like about the new Denon:

1. HDMI menus overlayed on video content is cool (keep in mind my 3805 can't do that over component!)
2. HDMI-CEC works well enough to not need the Harmony Remote had it not been for the Apple TV,
3. The audio is awesome.

It's the last point I think I need to make for people upgrading. Previously my stepfather's old rig made a lot of noise but it was easily a muddy mess of sound. My rig at home had the 3805 and much better speakers (Rocket 750s versus my stepfather's 90's era Infiniti towers). Once things were working like cable TV, I fired up the Apple TV and began playing some of the music in the library. What I got was a revelation. For the first time, the sound was precise, highs were there that weren't there before and the entire experience was like I walked into a different house. All this while still using the same less than stellar speakers. I know that a better receiver will make a difference but I'm not sure that I've ever heard such a dramatic difference from this kind of component upgrade that wasn't new speakers. Even the 3805 I own wasn't that much better than the 1994-era Sony receiver it replaced.

I still haven't gotten Zone 2 to work yet (I'll work on that tomorrow) and I need to figure out a good way to hook it up to wireless.
hhawk likes this.

Rick
post #370 of 10743 Old 06-14-2012, 05:15 AM

Hello All,

Firstly would like to say great thread smile.gif

I was hoping that someone could possibly assist with the following question:-

I have just finished wiring up my home and am looking at purchasing the Denon AVR-3313CI reciever, the unit will be housed down stairs in my media room. While wiring my house I have run a dedicated HDMI cable from down stairs to my upstairs bedroom wall, along with left and right speaker cables into my bedroom ceiling.

I'm wanting to mount a TV on my bedroom wall and hook up the HDMI cable and also install Left and Right in ceiling speakers above the bed... will this unit allow me to

1. Watch a blu ray movie upstairs and have the sound come out of the speakers wired above the bed?
2. Can I at the same time watch a different source down stairs and have the sound come out of the 5.1 speaker set up in my media room?

Thank you for your help in advance
Kind Regards
Alex
post #371 of 10743 Old 06-14-2012, 05:31 AM
585-645-1006

^^
1. Yes, but there are a few ways to achieve what you're after.

- With the bedroom HDMI connected to the Zone 2 HDMI monitor output, you have two options: (1) connect the other end of the cable directly to the TV for video and audio from the TV speakers, or (2) if you want to use the bedroom ceiling speakers, you would connect the HDMI cable to a 2nd HDMI AVR and connect the HDMI cable from that 2nd AVR to the TV. You would then connect your ceiling speakers to that 2nd AVR. This 2nd AVR can be an older model HDMI AVR or if you purchased a new 1613 as well, you could also stream internet audio to your bedroom speakers as well.

- For a less costly solution, you can connect the Zone 2 HDMI cable from the 3313CI to an HDMI switch with RCA output and then connect HDMI from that switch to the TV for video and connect the switch's RCA outputs to a 2CH amp (can find used on craigslist for ~$50 or buy new for ~$100). Connect the bedroom speakers to that 2CH amp.

- Another option, if the TV has analog audio outputs you could use "powered" speakers connected off the TV.

2. Yes, that's the idea behind the new Zone 2 HDMI output only available on the 3313CI.

Note: An HDMI source is not down converted to analog audio in Zone 2, so if you want to use an HDMI source to the bedroom, you cannot connect the bedroom speakers to the 3313CI Zone 2 posts.

"JD" –

post #372 of 10743 Old 06-14-2012, 05:41 AM

^ ^ ^ ^
Hi jdsmoothie,

Firstly just want to say thank you for the quick reply... very much appreciated.

Due to aesthetics being important for the Mrs the only way I could (be allowed) to do this is through your first suggestion " With the bedroom HDMI connected to the Zone 2 HDMI monitor output, you could connect the other end of the cable directly to the TV for video. If you also connect the speakers to the Surr Back/Amp Assign posts and set them to Zone 2, you would get audio, although there "may" be a delay (uncertain)." Do you think Denon customer service would be able to confirm if there would be a delay or not with this set up? Or is this dependent on other factors i.e. speaker cable length/type. Apologies if that is a silly question to ask... have very little knowledge in this area.

Thank you
Alex
post #373 of 10743 Old 06-14-2012, 05:56 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

What I got was a revelation. For the first time, the sound was precise, highs were there that weren't there before and the entire experience was like I walked into a different house. All this while still using the same less than stellar speakers. I know that a better receiver will make a different but I'm not sure that I've ever heard such a dramatic difference from this kind of component upgrade that wasn't new speakers. Even the 3805 I own wasn't that much better than the 1994-era Sony receiver it replaced. I still haven't gotten Zone 2 to work yet (I'll work on that tomorrow) and I need to figure out a good way to hook it up to wireless.

That's the power of "Audyssey MultEQ XT" smile.gif

Re: Zone 2 .... HDMI connections won't pass to Zone 2, so you'll need to drag out those analog audio cables and connect whatever "external" source he wants to pass to Zone 2 with an analog cable as well as the HDMI for the main zone. For the AppleTV you'll need to get an optical ---> analog converter. The on board sources (ie. internet radio, Pandora, etc. ) will pass to Zone 2. Review the Zone 2 section of the Denon Help guide linked in my sig.

"JD" –

post #374 of 10743 Old 06-14-2012, 05:59 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token78 View Post

^ ^ ^ ^
Hi jdsmoothie,
Firstly just want to say thank you for the quick reply... very much appreciated.
Due to aesthetics being important for the Mrs the only way I could (be allowed) to do this is through your first suggestion " With the bedroom HDMI connected to the Zone 2 HDMI monitor output, you could connect the other end of the cable directly to the TV for video. If you also connect the speakers to the Surr Back/Amp Assign posts and set them to Zone 2, you would get audio, although there "may" be a delay (uncertain)." Do you think Denon customer service would be able to confirm if there would be a delay or not with this set up? Or is this dependent on other factors i.e. speaker cable length/type. Apologies if that is a silly question to ask... have very little knowledge in this area.
Thank you
Alex

Please see my edited response above.

"JD" –

post #375 of 10743 Old 06-14-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

That's the power of "Audyssey MultEQ XT" smile.gif
Re: Zone 2 .... HDMI connections won't pass to Zone 2, so you'll need to drag out those analog audio cables and connect whatever "external" source he wants to pass to Zone 2 with an analog cable as well as the HDMI for the main zone. For the AppleTV you'll need to get an optical ---> analog converter. The on board sources (ie. internet radio, Pandora, etc. ) will pass to Zone 2. Review the Zone 2 section of the Denon Help guide linked in my sig.

Actually, I haven't even equalized the room yet for Audyssey. That comes later, perhaps today. Bottom line is that the audio section of the Denon midrange line is pretty nice for the price and the old JVC was really that bad. And now that I think about it, I was just listening to the AAC compressed stuff coming in off of iCloud. I didn't even try the Apple Lossless stuff loaded on the iMac in the next room. smile.gif

Thanks for the tip on Zone 2. I figured something like that was going on. The Zone 2 in question is on the outdoor patio right off the main living room where the home theater system sits. Previously with the JVC receiver we hooked the patio speakers up as "Front B" so I see that the Denon can be configured the same way. When the patio speakers are on, it's always playing whatever is in the main room anyway so I don't really need a special breakout for the Apple TV (thanks for the tip on the optical->analog device though). Separate volume control for the patio is nice but not really necessary (again, it will end up functioning exactly like the old unit).

Rick
post #376 of 10743 Old 06-14-2012, 09:18 AM

Has anyone tried using a bluetooth adapter with their AVR? My goal is to stream music from an android phone using Google Music (I have a 2113ci). I realize there are apps to use DLNA and Airplay, but those all require that you have your mp3 files locally on your phone. Google Music streams from the cloud.

This device seems like it would work (or one of its competitors):

Belkin F8Z492TTP Bluetooth Music Receiver

But it would be even cooler if this more simplistic device worked in the front USB port:

Bluetooth Adptr USB +edr Class 1 V2.1 with button

I'm guessing the latter won't work because the proper drivers won't be present. Anyway, has anyone done something like this before?
post #377 of 10743 Old 06-14-2012, 09:26 AM
585-645-1006

^^
The first should work or the Logitech model (confirmed to work on an XX12 model) listed here --> http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_50#user_E6,

while the 2nd is only an adapter to connect to the router which is not supported by Denon.

"JD" –

post #378 of 10743 Old 06-14-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:

^^
The first should work or the Logitech model (confirmed to work on an XX12 model) listed here --> http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_50#user_E6,
while the 2nd is only an adapter to connect to the router which is not supported by Denon.

Yea, I figured as much. I was hoping to avoid having yet another powered device in the area. Oh well, the price of convenience.
post #379 of 10743 Old 06-14-2012, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token78 View Post

^ ^ ^ ^
Hi jdsmoothie,
Thank you
Alex

Please see my edited response above.
Quote:
Note: An HDMI source is not down converted to analog audio in Zone 2, so if you want to use an HDMI source to the bedroom, you cannot connect the bedroom speakers to the 3313CI Zone 2 posts.

JD - do we know for sure that you can't "sync up" a standard zone 2 analog audio feed with the HDMI output? For example, if a Blu-ray player is connected with both HDMI and analog audio, could he simultaneously pass the HDMI zone 2 feed and also power Zone 2 speakers from the surr.back speaker posts (with the speakers playing the analog audio feed)?

I do agree that it's likely there will be audio sync issues with this setup, but is it confirmed that it's not possible (that's what you seem to be implying but not sure).

Anyway, @Token78, I would probably assume this is a suboptimal solution. I think the best bet is one of these two options which JD mentioned:

option 1) zone 2 HDMI feed to inexpensive HDMI receiver in bedroom, which feeds HDMI video to display and powers the ceiling speakers

option 2) zone 2 HDMI feed directly to bedroom TV, then output audio from TV to a basic stereo amp which powers the ceiling speakers

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #380 of 10743 Old 06-14-2012, 10:03 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Actually, with an analog connection as well from the BDP, it might work (but not confirmed), all be it with a possible delay. I was thinking HDMI only connection.

"JD" –

post #381 of 10743 Old 06-14-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
yeah... a lot of questions will be answered when the 3313 hits the streets finally.

it would also help if Denon would release the manuals for the CI models. People have already purchased the 2113ci and the manual isn't even on the website yet rolleyes.gif

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #382 of 10743 Old 06-14-2012, 10:32 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Not sure what is causing the delay ... although I'm using the UK 2113 manual at least for now.

"JD" –

post #383 of 10743 Old 06-14-2012, 11:29 AM

What is the best way to play my iTunes library from my Windows 7 PC on my soon to arrive AVR-2113CI (want it to go to my zone 2)? Is it correct that I can't just make a file share and have the receiver play the m4a files as the receiver does not support that format ? Another option would be to stream the music via aDLNA. Sorry if this has been discussed. I did do a search but did not dig anything up.

-=Greg
post #384 of 10743 Old 06-14-2012, 11:32 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G View Post

What is the best way to play my iTunes library from my Windows 7 PC on my soon to arrive AVR-2113CI (want it to go to my zone 2)? Is it correct that I can't just make a file share and have the receiver play the m4a files as the receiver does not support that format ? Another option would be to stream the music via aDLNA. Sorry if this has been discussed. I did do a search but did not dig anything up.
-=Greg
I think airplay is probably the easiest route.
post #385 of 10743 Old 06-14-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzchard View Post

I think airplay is probably the easiest route.

Ok, did a bit more research based on your response. I can go from iTunes on my computer to the AVR-2113CI via airplay and use the Remote app on my iphone to control my music from the second zone. Man, I had not realized that the Remote app existed. That is really nice!

Thanks for the response!

-Greg
post #386 of 10743 Old 06-14-2012, 02:49 PM

Where does one download this "Denon Remote App" for Android? I can't find it in the marketplace (found third-party AVR-Remote) or on Denon's site.
post #387 of 10743 Old 06-14-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:

^^
1. Yes, but there are a few ways to achieve what you're after.
- With the bedroom HDMI connected to the Zone 2 HDMI monitor output, you have two options: (1) connect the other end of the cable directly to the TV for video and audio from the TV speakers, or (2) if you want to use the bedroom ceiling speakers, you would connect the HDMI cable to a 2nd HDMI AVR and connect the HDMI cable from that 2nd AVR to the TV. You would then connect your ceiling speakers to that 2nd AVR. This 2nd AVR can be an older model HDMI AVR or if you purchased a new 1613 as well, you could also stream internet audio to your bedroom speakers as well.
- For a less costly solution, you can connect the Zone 2 HDMI cable from the 3313CI to an HDMI switch with RCA output and then connect HDMI from that switch to the TV for video and connect the switch's RCA outputs to a 2CH amp (can find used on craigslist for ~$50 or buy new for ~$100). Connect the bedroom speakers to that 2CH amp.
- Another option, if the TV has analog audio outputs you could use "powered" speakers connected off the TV.
2. Yes, that's the idea behind the new Zone 2 HDMI output only available on the 3313CI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Quote:
JD - do we know for sure that you can't "sync up" a standard zone 2 analog audio feed with the HDMI output? For example, if a Blu-ray player is connected with both HDMI and analog audio, could he simultaneously pass the HDMI zone 2 feed and also power Zone 2 speakers from the surr.back speaker posts (with the speakers playing the analog audio feed)?
I do agree that it's likely there will be audio sync issues with this setup, but is it confirmed that it's not possible (that's what you seem to be implying but not sure).
Anyway, @Token78, I would probably assume this is a suboptimal solution. I think the best bet is one of these two options which JD mentioned:
option 1) zone 2 HDMI feed to inexpensive HDMI receiver in bedroom, which feeds HDMI video to display and powers the ceiling speakers
option 2) zone 2 HDMI feed directly to bedroom TV, then output audio from TV to a basic stereo amp which powers the ceiling speakers

Hi JD and Bat Pig smile.gif

Thank you again for your time and assistance with all the responses.

My limitations are a.I can not run any more cables to my top level as all has been plastered now and b.there is no more money in the budget to buy a second amp and no where for it to be homed.

So my question now changes slightly, rather then trying to run two sources at the same time (one down stairs and one upstairs) can I connect my upstairs tv to one of the zone one HDMI outputs and then some how connect my upstairs ceiling speakers to my amp so as to have the sound come out my upstairs bedroom ceiling speakers while I watch blu ray? Also if this can be done do I still need to purchase the 3313 or can I drop down a model?

Apologies for all the questions... your help is very much appreciated.

Alex
post #388 of 10743 Old 06-14-2012, 03:07 PM
585-645-1006

^^
With the configuration you suggest, the speakers would still be connected to the Surr Back/Amp Assign speaker posts, but instead of being setup as Zone 2, they would be set as "Front B". You could then drop down to the 2312CI which is the lowest model that offers dual HDMI Monitor out jacks.

"JD" –

post #389 of 10743 Old 06-14-2012, 06:19 PM

Liked: 12
Hi guys,

I am getting ready to start a surround sound system that at first will consist of two Aperion Verus Forte towers and am looking for a Denon receiver to match up with them. I was settled on a 2113ci (I saw somewhere that they were going for $500 from J&R), but I also ran across a deal where I can get a 3312ci for $674 delivered. I don't need most of the additional features, but I am wondering if the extra power will give me anything. I have read that it takes doubling the wattage to give an audible 3db, and the 30 watt increase will obviously not do that, but I am also reading about headroom, and transients and am wondering if this 30 watts will make a difference driving my speakers.

Any thoughts?
post #390 of 10743 Old 06-14-2012, 06:48 PM
585-645-1006

^^
No the 30W won't make any difference, but if you decide you want more power, the main zone pre-outs will. smile.gif

Edit: Although if you can buy today, June 15, Amazon has a 1 day Gold Box special going on.

"JD" –

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1513 Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page