Originally Posted by raaj
I just got my refurb AVR-3313CI yesterday, and have been having the most horrible series of issues trying to set it up and update its firmware.
First off, the initial setup went off without a hitch, and I am able to listen to internet radio, get notices of firmware updates available, etc.
Once I start to try and update the receiver, all manners of problems are cropping up.
Initially, the receiver notified me of an available update, but once I chose to start the update process, it could not authenticate with the server. So I exit out of the update process, and then tried again after a while. Now the receiver estimated that the update is estimated to take 40 minutes, and started the update process. The receiver went into standby, and the receiver's front panel displayed "Update retry ... Please wait ...". It got stuck there for a couple of hours before I summoned up the courage to try and reset the receiver.
I pressed INFO and BACK buttons simultaneously and pressed the POWER button on the front panel. The receiver display started flash at 1 sec intervals and I let go of the buttons. The receiver then restarted itself, and immediately went into the same "Update retry ... Please wait ..." loop. Cursing my decision to bother with refurb gear, I repeated the reset trick as before, only to have the receiver go back into the Update Retry state.
Now I read somewhere that it could help to reset network state and the microprocessor in one go, by powering on while holding the UP and DOWN arrow keys on the front panel. Did the same trick, and after the display flashing for a couple of seconds, I released the buttons and the receiver restarted itself, and out of the 'Update Retry" loop.
WELL, now I had to redo my Audyssey calibration again and saved the configuration file to my laptop before I tried the firmware update shenanigans again.
This morning, I summoned up my courage once again, and started the firmware update process. I got the notification of an update available, so I accepted the prompt to start the process, got past the authentication stage, and was greeted with the estimate that the update process could take 40 mins. I started the process, and the receiver said "Contacting the server ..." and stood there for about nervous 5mins before it started the actual update. It said "DSP .. 39 mins, Updating xx %" and got through that stage in about an hour or so.
Now, another stage of update got kicked off, saying "GUI ... 3min, Updating xx%" and then the minute counter decreased from 3 to 2 to 1 minutes, and to my surprise, it the estimate inched back up to 3 minutes. It kept flashing "Updating -> -> ->" and the minute counter now goes in a loop of 03min ... 02min ... 01min ... 03min ... 02min ... 01min ... 03min ... etc. Now the receiver has been sitting at this update for more than 3 hours now.
I am afraid to reset the receiver for the fear of bricking it.
Anyone with a similar experience, please let me know what you did. This is extremely frustrating, and Denon support is closed till after the New Year.
I apologize for quoting a train of my own posts, but I hope by posting my experiences would help someone down the lane, as I pretty much did not find any help to my problems searching on this forum.
Finally, got to talk to Denon support this morning, I was advised to just yank the power plug and power it back up. The receiver came back up as if nothing had happened, and I was advised to do a network reset and try to update during night time, as there were only TWO servers handling the firmware updates for the whole US/Canada customer base.
I got a firmware update notice while I was getting ready to leave to work, and against my better instincts, I let the receiver kick off the update process. The receiver estimated an update time of 22 mins this time, and after a couple of minutes, the receiver shut down, but never powered back up.
Cursing my luck, I went to work, and as soon as I came back home, tried to power the receiver back. Now, there is no video output from the receiver, on either of the HDMI outputs. I cycled through all the inputs, and no luck. Did the network and microprocessor reboot tricks a couple of times to the same outcome, but this time, the resets did not kickoff a new receiver setup routine. Selecting the Setup option on the receiver does not start the Setup Assistant either.
The receiver could still be controlled using the browser-based Web Controller interface, but the receiver does not want to go into the Setup Assistant anymore.
I switched the sources and outputs to my trusty old Marantz sitting by its side, and lo and behold, everything is working fine. I called up Denon support again, and am being recommended to ship the receiver back to be replaced.
Now I am back to the old and familiar comfort of my Marantz SR-5001, and have to wait for the ordeal of return shipment and replacement to wind through its course.
Hopefully, some people will find some useful information in the accounts above.