The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 157 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4681 of 10739 Old 01-09-2013, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Was watching The Departed on bluray which has LPCM 5.1 audio and it was saying Dolby D on the Denon, is that correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 10739 Old 01-09-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyrapper18 View Post

Any of that stuff works or is somrhing better than the other. I was just thinking of a bridge so i can plug my xbox receiver and anything else into it for best results. Thinking of att uverse so thats wireless right there just have to do the bridge hookup.

I've been trying out the Netgear powerline adapters for a few weeks now and they work well with the exception of having to hit the reset button occasionally after they go into sleep mode when not in use.
I'm using the XAVB5004 that's made for home theater. It has 4 ethernet connections on the box for all your gear. The online utility shows about 115mbps but outlet location and your house wiring
can put connection speed all over the place. So your mileage can vary.
post #4683 of 10739 Old 01-09-2013, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLE355 View Post

Was watching The Departed on bluray which has LPCM 5.1 audio and it was saying Dolby D on the Denon, is that correct?

No, that means you are only getting the lossy dolby digital track.

LPCM would show up as MULTICH IN. Most likely it just defaults to Dolby D and you need to manually select the lossless track.

Great f'ing movie btw smile.gif

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4684 of 10739 Old 01-10-2013, 12:51 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidland View Post

Hi All,

Got my 1713 today, hooked up all devices and speakers and everything is working well except for my cable box (no audio or video), tested all connections and HDMI cable to no avail.. any tips?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_L11

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4685 of 10739 Old 01-10-2013, 12:54 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLE355 View Post

Both will likely sound the same, but as batpig notes, you must manually select the LPCM track if that is what you want to listen to.

"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #4686 of 10739 Old 01-10-2013, 11:11 AM

Not sure if this is new but:

I just bought a Denon AVR-1713 and in the initial setup, the diagram for the microphone placement conflicts with the MULTEQ diagram on Audyssey's website. on the setup screen, the back row goes 2,1,3 (audyssey's diagram is 3,1,2), the front row on my screen is 5,4,6 (audyssey's diagram gives me 4,5,6). Any reason why? Which one should i follow?

Thanks for the help! Apologies if this was already covered!

Kevin
post #4687 of 10739 Old 01-10-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 1256
It doesn't matter what order the measurements are taken. The only thing that matters is that #1 is the "sweet spot" because that's where distances and levels are set.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4688 of 10739 Old 01-10-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

This has come up several times in the Audyssey thread with ultra sensitive speakers like your KHorns. There are basically two routes you can take:

1. You can install an in-line signal attenuator, something like a 12dB attenuator will bring the KHorns into a better range for calibration.

Hey Batpig - you mentioned this to me quite some time ago, and I've googled and googled and I just can't find something that would work with just speaker wire. Do you know where I might find an attenuator that I can use with my front speakers? I'm also worried about using anything that could degrade my audio in any way, so I'm unsure of what to get.

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #4689 of 10739 Old 01-10-2013, 03:13 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

Hey Batpig - you mentioned this to me quite some time ago, and I've googled and googled and I just can't find something that would work with just speaker wire. Do you know where I might find an attenuator that I can use with my front speakers? I'm also worried about using anything that could degrade my audio in any way, so I'm unsure of what to get.

I think the attenuators he referred to are line-level attenuators, used to gain match source devices and amps.

If you're looking for easy, you could just throw an L-Pad attenuator on there. Either a mono at each speaker, or a stereo at the AVR. Something like this: L-Pad Attenuator 100W Mono 3/8" Shaft 8 Ohm. I think the 100 watt would do you ok, as I can't imagine being in a room where you fed more than that into those beasts.
post #4690 of 10739 Old 01-10-2013, 11:14 PM

Thanks for the reply's guys and yes it is a great movie!
post #4691 of 10739 Old 01-11-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farkem View Post

I think the attenuators he referred to are line-level attenuators, used to gain match source devices and amps.

If you're looking for easy, you could just throw an L-Pad attenuator on there. Either a mono at each speaker, or a stereo at the AVR. Something like this: L-Pad Attenuator 100W Mono 3/8" Shaft 8 Ohm. I think the 100 watt would do you ok, as I can't imagine being in a room where you fed more than that into those beasts.

Thanks Farkem.

I see that the L-Pad has 3 posts - how would I hook this up?? I know almost nothing about this sort or thing, nor can I solder for &%^$. rolleyes.gif

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #4692 of 10739 Old 01-11-2013, 08:28 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

So I bit the bullet and bought an up to date receiver with HDMI. I’m worried that next year most receivers won’t have composite inputs on the front panel and I need those when I pull out my old video game systems.

So, I decided to buy my first Denon – a 3313, and so far I’m pleased. I’m only using two speakers and sub. My speakers are older Polk Audio R50’s and my sub is a Klipsch SW450. It was $999 which is a pretty good price for Canada.

I went with the 3313 firstly so I can listen to music on my PVR (or music from any source for that matter) and play my PS3 at the same time, and secondly for the look (edited haha), I hooked my main HDMI output to input 1 on my TV and the zone 2 HDMI to input 2 on my TV. I tried having my main zone on the 3313 set to my PVR music stations, and setting my zone 2 to PS3. I changed my TV input to input 2 and I was able to play Tekken with sound effects coming through my TV while listening to PVR music on my home theatre speakers.

I also connected to zone 2 composites (audio and video) to a composite input on my TV and I can listen to PVR music and play my Nintendo that’s plugged in through the front composite inputs.

One problem I did have during set up was in trying to use watch my PVR with my receiver turned off, but using it as a passthrough. I don’t always want my receiver turned on to watch TV. I turned on the HDMI control. I wanted to use this function because, since I’m attaching the Zone 2 to my TV I’m already using 2 of the 3 HDMI inputs on my TV, and the third one is on the side of the TV, I don’t want a cable sticking out the side of my TV and I don’t want to buy a hinged HDMI adapter if I don’t have to.

I turned the HDMI control to “On”, set the standby source to “PVR”, the control monitor to “Monitor 1” and the power off control to “Off”. I problem I had was if I turned on the receiver after the TV the sound would come out of the receiver, but if the TV powered up after the receiver (which happens when I power on the system with my Harmony One) the sound comes out the TV speakers even though the receiver was turned on – no matter what button I hit short of turning the receiver off then on again, or changing the VIERA link option using the TV remote. Once I changed the control monitor to “Monitor 2” the problem was solved. Now, although the TV powers up second the sound still always comes out the receiver speakers. Can anyone explain to me why it would work this way as I don’t understand why changing that worked? Please.

It was my first time using Audyssey and I have a question about it. After browsing the very thorough and informative Audyssey FAQ (thanks to whoever wrote that) I began. The receiver automatically set my speakers to “large” so was it ok for me to change them to small and my crossover to 80hz (which was set to 40hz) although that’s not what Audyssey set them to.

Wow, this got to be MUCH longer than I expected – sorry. Thanks for reading if you did, and if you skipped to the end I don’t blame you. I just wanted to share my first Denon experience, and thanks for any answers you may provide.
post #4693 of 10739 Old 01-11-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It was my first time using Audyssey and I have a question about it. After browsing the very thorough and informative Audyssey FAQ (thanks to whoever wrote that) I began. The receiver automatically set my speakers to “large” so was it ok for me to change them to small and my crossover to 80hz (which was set to 40hz) although that’s not Audyssey set them to.

I can't help you with your other issue (I'm sure Batpig will be along shortly with a solution) but I just wanted to tell you that what you did is the correct method.
Quote:
I went with the 3313 firstly for the look...

Nothing personal, but I think choosing any receiver based firstly on looks is not good decision making. rolleyes.gif

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #4694 of 10739 Old 01-11-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:

Quote:
I went with the 3313 firstly for the look...

Nothing personal, but I think choosing any receiver based firstly on looks is not good decision making. rolleyes.gif
Well, we don't know which receivers he considered. There certainly are AVRs with comparable features from Onkyo and Marantz. Some people hate the Marantz "porthole" front panel design.

Selden
post #4695 of 10739 Old 01-11-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:

I can't help you with your other issue (I'm sure Batpig will be along shortly with a solution) but I just wanted to tell you that what you did is the correct method.

Haha, I see what you're saying but there's a bit more to it than that. It was the Denon 3313 or the Onkyo 1010 (which I could have gotten at a decent price) because it also had the zone 2 HDMI out. but it was so big and bulky. So big in fact that I would have had to cut out the back of my TV stand to make room for it. I also live in a small condo. So aesthetics did have a decent role to play.
post #4696 of 10739 Old 01-11-2013, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the help, and sorry for slow response, but thought I was signed on to get emails if someone replied to my post.

Yes, center channel has sound. I ran Audyssey, then left it in that mode. I should have mentioned this is the 2113ci.

The receiver says "PL II C CABLE." Assume that means Dolby Pro Logic II, and assumed that meant it wasn't in direct or stereo mode. It's a 5.1 system, and appropriate parts of the sound track are coming out of all 5 speakers and the sub-woofer.

I'll try redoing Audyssey using JDSmoothie's 101/FAQ as a guide and see if we get better results.
post #4697 of 10739 Old 01-11-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Rather than using Cinema EQ, suggest you take a look at the Audyssey 101/FAQ Guilde linked in my sig especially reviewing the following link to get the best EQ using Audyssey ...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-1/51700_100#user_a2

Swamped for a couple days, but I'll give this a try and check back in with results. Thanks for the help.
post #4698 of 10739 Old 01-11-2013, 10:01 AM

Hello, so I finally had a chance to read through the Audyssey guide on here and run Audyssey last night.... My setup is a Denon 2113 and ProCinema 600 system. I wound up running Audyssey 4 times to finally get my sub level to register at -2.5 so it was within the -3.5 to +3.5 threshold. However, it took me lowering the sub control on the woofer to only about 25-30% power. The system sounds a lot cleaner, but it feels like bass is lacking a bit now.

It set my crossovers to 120hz for the front and rear speakers and 200hz for the center channel. The LPF for LFE setting is at 120hz for the sub. On the sub itself the crossover control is still maxed out per Audyssey instructions.

Do these results sound accurate for this system? Any pointers on how to increase bass response? Thanks in advance for the feedback!

-Jason
post #4699 of 10739 Old 01-11-2013, 10:12 AM

Liked: 27
In the reciever you can adjust your sub volume just don't do it on the sub itself. Yes your lpf for lfe setting is correct. I erased setting your crossover to 80Hz, just so used to hearing it said i parroted the sentiment.

Panasonic TC-P65VT50
Denon 2113ci
Panasonic DMP-BDT220P
Ascend CMT-340SE L/R
Ascend CMT-340SE Center
Ascend CBM-170SE Surrounds
Klipsch RW12-D x 2
post #4700 of 10739 Old 01-11-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

DO NOT lower your crossovers from where Audyssey set them, if you do you risk damaging your speakers.

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #4701 of 10739 Old 01-11-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:

DO NOT lower your crossovers from where Audyssey set them, if you do you risk damaging your speakers.

Yep, only increase never decrease.... I read the Audyssey 101. :-)
post #4702 of 10739 Old 01-11-2013, 04:58 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksigdawg View Post

Hello, so I finally had a chance to read through the Audyssey guide on here and run Audyssey last night.... My setup is a Denon 2113 and ProCinema 600 system. I wound up running Audyssey 4 times to finally get my sub level to register at -2.5 so it was within the -3.5 to +3.5 threshold. However, it took me lowering the sub control on the woofer to only about 25-30% power. The system sounds a lot cleaner, but it feels like bass is lacking a bit now.

It set my crossovers to 120hz for the front and rear speakers and 200hz for the center channel. The LPF for LFE setting is at 120hz for the sub. On the sub itself the crossover control is still maxed out per Audyssey instructions.

Do these results sound accurate for this system? Any pointers on how to increase bass response? Thanks in advance for the feedback!

-Jason

Somewhat high crossover settings for those speakers, but perhaps appropriate in your particular home environment especially as they are tiny satellite speakers. Ensure the center speaker is pulled out to the edge if inside a cabinet and aimed up towards the main (ie. #1) listening position. See if you can adjust to the "new" sub setting. If after a few weeks you still prefer more bass, then use the Subwoofer Level setting to bump up the sub a few db to suit your preference. Also note, that when running Audyssey multiple times (as when fine tuning the sub volume level), you need only run it for 1 mic position as that is the only position used for the distance/volume level settings. Once the volume is within the +/-3db range, you can run the max number of mic positions.

"JD" –

post #4703 of 10739 Old 01-11-2013, 05:33 PM

Liked: 11
My 3313 is sexy.

I must have 1080p
post #4704 of 10739 Old 01-11-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Somewhat high crossover settings for those speakers, but perhaps appropriate in your particular home environment especially as they are tiny satellite speakers. Ensure the center speaker is pulled out to the edge if inside a cabinet and aimed up towards the main (ie. #1) listening position. See if you can adjust to the "new" sub setting. If after a few weeks you still prefer more bass, then use the Subwoofer Level setting to bump up the sub a few db to suit your preference. Also note, that when running Audyssey multiple times (as when fine tuning the sub volume level), you need only run it for 1 mic position as that is the only position used for the distance/volume level settings. Once the volume is within the +/-3db range, you can run the max number of mic positions.

Thanks for the feedback... I have the center channel in a cabinet and it is pulled out as far as possible and aimed at primary seating positions. I'll give the levels a shot, perhaps it's just an adjustment period from the "boomy" sound I was getting before.

Your Audyssey advice is great moving forward, I got really tired of running the 8 locations to tweak the sub 4 times in a row....
post #4705 of 10739 Old 01-11-2013, 09:14 PM

Liked: 21
Denon 3313, problem of one zone's output leaking into another. To wit, I've got two zones set up:
MAIN = home theater room, 5.1
Zone 2 = living room speakers, connected to the pre-amp outputs only

The problem: When I am specifically playing Network audio, e.g. Spotify or SiriusXM, into Zone 2, I hear a much, much lower volume version of this audio -- but only on my Main Zone's *center* speaker. I have to crank the volume up a fair bit to make it out clearly, but I hear it faintly at normal volumes -- enough for it to drive me crazy, even if the main zone is set to some other input, e.g. my PS3 or Roku box.

The volume that Zone 2 is set to doesn't change the volume of this faint audio that's leaked into the Main Zone.

The effect exists even when Zone 2 is powered off! If Zone 2 would be hearing any audio if it were powered on, then I will hear it leak into the Main Zone's center channel.

Can anyone think of why this would be happening or has heard of it before?

post #4706 of 10739 Old 01-12-2013, 02:58 AM
585-645-1006

This issue is posted from time to time and likely your unit needs to be repaired/exchanged if it's really annoying. At the very least give a microprocessor reset (post #5) a try after saving your config.dat file to a PC using the Web Control feature (pp. 100-101).

"JD" –

post #4707 of 10739 Old 01-12-2013, 05:46 AM

@dizzyrapper18
I got a TRENDnet 300 Mbps Wireless N 4-Port Media Bridge for my 3313. Works perfectly with a Netgear 600 router. I even switched my media streaming and Tivo boxes to the media bridge since (they were wireless before).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FMI3DA/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00v
At less than 50 bucks, seems like a great option to me.
post #4708 of 10739 Old 01-12-2013, 06:30 AM

Has anybody been able to get the sound modes (color buttons) working on the Harmony 650 or other models?
post #4709 of 10739 Old 01-12-2013, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Thanks Farkem.

I see that the L-Pad has 3 posts - how would I hook this up?? I know almost nothing about this sort or thing, nor can I solder for &%^$. rolleyes.gif

If you just scroll down a little on the link that was provided, a wiring diagram was presented.
post #4710 of 10739 Old 01-12-2013, 08:36 AM

Can the 3313ci take in 5.1 analog audio inputs from my 83 oppo blu ray player.
Thanks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1513 Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page