The **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX13 Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 160 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4771 of 10848 Old 01-14-2013, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 33
When does word of the next year models start coming out? I'm interested to hear what the xx14 models might have...

(Looks like end of April?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 10848 Old 01-14-2013, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

njtv,

What model of Blu-ray player do you have?
Have you connected and enabled its HDMI output to the receiver?

Some setting in the player is telling it to downconvert the audio to stereo PCM.
This is also consistent with using a digital S/PDIF audio connection (either coax or optical). S/PDIF can carry either multichannel 5.1 Dolby or DTS but only stereo PCM. HDMI can carry multichannel 7.1 Dolby, DTS and PCM.

i am not sure of the model, i have the box at home so will check. but it was a samsung i got in april last year from costco, around $80-90 i think on sale. i do have it hooked up via hdmi, and jdsmoothie nailed it- as it previously was hooked up directly to my tv via hdmi. going to try to reset the bluray tonight if i can figure out how.
post #4773 of 10848 Old 01-14-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is there anyway to adjust the speed of the volume increases/decreases on the 2313? When using the remote, I find I can either do a series of individual volume button presses to change the volume by 0.5 each, or if I hold the volume button down for even the shortest amount of time, it will rapidly change the volume, which can result in the volume jumping from say 30 to 60+ in the blink of an eye. Is there a way to adjust this?

Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Directv since '03
post #4774 of 10848 Old 01-14-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanh220 View Post

Thanks - you're very kind. Will try all of these - a few notes:

2 - will check with SiriusXM and report back on their response
3 - sorry, my error - I meant to say "Media Server" - it finds the media on the Windows boot sector of my Mac, but nothing in iTunes or the Mac partitions
7 - not being able to reorder Favorites is kind of lame - but I'll also try radiodenon.com as a Favorites storage area; will see what's possible there.

Interesting discovery: Logitech Harmony software maps a "Menu" function to the Menu key on my 890 Pro, even though there is no "Menu" key on the AVR-3313CI remote. The "Setup" function mapped from the Logitech database does not seem to do anything; however, the "Menu" function functions exactly as "Setup"! In other words - "Menu" ---> Setup and "Setup" --->

Awaiting a reply back from SiriusXM - although with Internet Radio and Pandora, not sure I'm any longer interested. Ditto for FM, since most local radio of interest is already streaming online.
post #4775 of 10848 Old 01-14-2013, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana627 View Post

Is there anyway to adjust the speed of the volume increases/decreases on the 2313? When using the remote, I find I can either do a series of individual volume button presses to change the volume by 0.5 each, or if I hold the volume button down for even the shortest amount of time, it will rapidly change the volume, which can result in the volume jumping from say 30 to 60+ in the blink of an eye. Is there a way to adjust this?

No, that's just how it works. Hold down for a gross adjustment, tap-tap-tap for a fine adjustment. Once you calibrate your thumb it gets easier to use wink.gif

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #4776 of 10848 Old 01-14-2013, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpwoods View Post

Hey all,

I just got the 1613 about a month ago and am very pleased with it. One thing I have noticed is sometimes while I'm watching TV that the audio will "reset" itself almost. For example, during a scene where the volume is getting increasingly louder it will cut out for a split second and reset at a lower level, gradually getting louder until it's back to the volume I had it at. Is this something that has to do with the volume equalizer? I thought that was just for louder commercials or louder channels, etc. Has anybody else experienced anything like this or can you direct me how to fix the issue? Sorry if this is kind of vague, I'm not exactly sure how to describe the issue.

Thanks.

The "volume ramp up" is due to Dynamic Volume, but the drop-outs are not. What is happening is some other problem is causing the audio drop-out, and then when the audio stream is restored the Denon syncs back in and Dynamic Volume slowly ramps back up.

So Dynamic Volume is working properly, the fundamental issue is why you are getting these brief drop-outs? If it ONLY happens while watching TV, it is likely an issue with your cable/sat box, which are notorious for these kinds of issues (see the discussion right above your post about drop-out issues with 5.1 Dolby Digital from DirecTV).

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4777 of 10848 Old 01-14-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

No, that's just how it works. Hold down for a gross adjustment, tap-tap-tap for a fine adjustment. Once you calibrate your thumb it gets easier to use wink.gif
OK, thought I'd ask. I guess I need to go buy a new thumb with faster refresh rates to go with my new 2313!

Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Directv since '03
post #4778 of 10848 Old 01-14-2013, 02:33 PM

Just discovered something about SiriusXM on my new AVR-3313CI and wanted to share to see if anyone else was experiencing this.

I signed up for a trial account of S-XM Internet radio to try it through the new AVR. I was able to log in and listen without incident on my Mac via browser, and on iPhone and iPad. On the Denon AVR, I could log in and see the category and channel lists, but could not stream music (I got network timeouts).

Phone S-XM support, and after 4 jumps finally made it to senior tech support in Phoenix. The tech knew exactly what my problem was and has been fielding calls from all over on the problem. He said that S-XM changed the way in which they stream data to receivers (similar to the Pandora issue recently resolved) just within the last 10-14 days. He also said that - for whatever reason - S-XM customer support and their web site are not being provided any information about the problem.

I just phoned Denon Support to see if they knew anything - the tech I was talking to was very knowledgable but said he had not heard of the issue previously. He took copious notes and said he was "escalating this upstairs" right away in the event a firmware update has to be made. He took down my number (it was in the registration data base) and said he'd call me back if/when he had any news.

Are any of you who use SiriusXM through your recent-model Denon AVR's having any problems streaming the content?
post #4779 of 10848 Old 01-14-2013, 03:35 PM

I added a sub to my 2313ci system today and ran Audyssey to re-calibrate. I did a search but didn't see how to manually change the speaker or crossover settings.
Audessy has set my front main L and R to large with 40 crossover. I want to set all to small. Sorry if it's been covered just missed it.
post #4780 of 10848 Old 01-14-2013, 04:31 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked: 1686
Speakers --- Manual Setup -- Speaker Config (p. 120 OM)

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4781 of 10848 Old 01-14-2013, 04:35 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers View Post

When does word of the next year models start coming out? I'm interested to hear what the xx14 models might have...

(Looks like end of April?)

Formal announcement should come mid April.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #4782 of 10848 Old 01-14-2013, 04:38 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by njtv View Post

That is exactly what I did, thanks. How exactly can I reset the bluray?

I searched the web last night ad found some one with the same problem and the solution suggested for him was to set the bluray audio to "bitstream unprocessed." This eorked dor him and solve his issue, but I did this and it still sent a stereo signal. I then switched bluray audio to "bitstream re-encoded DTS" and this sent a DTS signal to the 2113. However I don't think this is the solution I want.

Check the Blu Ray player's Owner's manual as it should show you there, otherwise, generally just powering OFF and then ON again may do the trick as well.

post #4783 of 10848 Old 01-14-2013, 05:13 PM

When I use the wi-fi feature on my vizio tv, there's no sound. I have dish network going through my 2113, then to vizio tv. Not sure what to do, maybe run an audio cable?
post #4784 of 10848 Old 01-14-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Speakers --- Manual Setup -- Speaker Config (p. 120 OM)

Thanks for the reply. I did do that but running Audyssey again lists them as large again. So if I manually change after the calibration will the 2313 still use the calibration?
I thought I read somewhere in the OM changing after Audyssey runs tosses out the calibration.

After some more reading if I understand this right you can run Audyssey then make the manual changes and all is well....Sorry for the confusion.
post #4785 of 10848 Old 01-14-2013, 05:17 PM
585-645-1006

Correct. The current AUTO SETUP (Audyssey) settings are stored in the AUTO SETUP menu and will not change until you run AUTO SETUP again, while any changes you make in Manual SETUP become the "active" settings. Note these changes you can make in Manual Setup will not impact the Audyssey filters as they are made by the AVR and not by Audyssey.

post #4786 of 10848 Old 01-14-2013, 05:18 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletodd View Post

When I use the wi-fi feature on my vizio tv, there's no sound. I have dish network going through my 2113, then to vizio tv. Not sure what to do, maybe run an audio cable?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_E5

post #4787 of 10848 Old 01-14-2013, 06:30 PM

Liked: 11
Okay, I am being a noob. I have tried looking at the first post or two in this thread and it didnt exactly answer what I am looking for, at least I dont think it did. I am looking to purchase the Polk RTiA9s and most people recommend getting an external amplifier to get the full potential of the speakers. Here goes my question, which amp 2313 or 3313 has the ability to have an external amp on the main channel, not just zone 2? I thought I read that this is only possible on the 3313 model. I hope not as I didnt want to swallow that price tag. Also, the amp I am looking at is the Emotiva xpa-5. Is that a good pairing for this AVR?

This is my first serious HT setup so I want to make sure I am doing things right.
post #4788 of 10848 Old 01-14-2013, 06:36 PM
585-645-1006

Correct. The 3313CI is the only XX13 model capable of adding an external amp. Although any amp would likely do (XPA-5 or otherwise), I would suggest you just use the AVR's amps first before expending the additional $$ on the external amp. You may also want to consider the Marantz X006 (2011) or X007 (2012) AVRs all of which at a minimum have FL/FR pre-outs if you are sure you will be adding an external amp.

post #4789 of 10848 Old 01-14-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:

Correct. The 3313CI is the only XX13 model capable of adding an external amp. Although any amp would likely do (XPA-5 or otherwise), I would suggest you just use the AVR's amps first before expending the additional $$ on the external amp. You may also want to consider the Marantz X006 (2011) or X007 (2012) AVRs all of which at a minimum have FL/FR pre-outs if you are sure you will be adding an external amp.

Thanks for the quick reply. I was hoping you didn't say that, but it was what I was thinking. I agree, I might not do an amp right away. However, based on what I am reading the RTiA9s there is a good chance I will need an amp. Knowing that, I would at least have to get the 3313 to future proor that problem, right? Or is there something I am overlooking.
post #4790 of 10848 Old 01-14-2013, 06:49 PM
585-645-1006

Correct. If you want a Denon, the 3313CI is the lowest level model with pre-outs. Depending on the other features you need, you may also want to consider a 3312CI on clearance or a refurbed 3312CI or 3313CI. Not familiar with the RTia9 speakers, but spec wise they would seem to be rather easy to drive so unless you're reading that every RTia9 owner is using an external amp, I would count on the AVR being more than sufficient to drive them. smile.gif

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR3313CI/DENON-AVR-3313CI-7.2-Networking-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-4K-Ready/1.html

Any RTia9 owners with an XX13 model not using an external amp?
MNaudioguy likes this.

post #4791 of 10848 Old 01-14-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:

Correct. The current AUTO SETUP (Audyssey) settings are stored in the AUTO SETUP menu and will not change until you run AUTO SETUP again, while any changes you make in Manual SETUP become the "active" settings. Note these changes you can make in Manual Setup will not impact the Audyssey filters as they are made by the AVR and not by Audyssey.

Thanks once again, your help in this thread is much appreciated. I'm redoing my system and trying to set up the 2313ci, an Oppo BDP-103, Harmony Touch remote and SVS PB12-NSD all at the same time.
My brain has officially reached information overload... but I am having fun setting it all up. biggrin.gif
post #4792 of 10848 Old 01-14-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:

Check the Blu Ray player's Owner's manual as it should show you there, otherwise, generally just powering OFF and then ON again may do the trick as well.

It's a Samsung bd-emc7. I reset it 3 times and still sending stereo signal

This is the audio setup page with defaults. Sending stereo signals.

I changed them to bitstream unprocessed which I read to do on a google search, and same result. Still stereo. Should I change it to bitstream re-encoded DTS or Dolby d?

Here is another shot

How about PCM down sampling? Dynamic range control and down mixing mode? Thanks again for the help

This is very
post #4793 of 10848 Old 01-14-2013, 08:10 PM

Re: answer to no sound with vizio wi-fi: that's seems complicated, is there simpler way? I don't use the wi-fi much, mainly occasional you tube banjo lessons. I also have Apple TV I used to use with my prior tv that didn't have wi-fi. Havent hooked it up again.
Alternatively, would it be simpler to just use the vizio a internal speakers and leave the 2113 off?
post #4794 of 10848 Old 01-14-2013, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Is the issue that you are using a built in streaming app in the Vizio TV itself? And you want to pipe the audio back to the receiver? Just run an optical cable out from the TV if you don't want to complication of ARC.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4795 of 10848 Old 01-14-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:

Correct. If you want a Denon, the 3313CI is the lowest level model with pre-outs. Depending on the other features you need, you may also want to consider a 3312CI on clearance or a refurbed 3312CI or 3313CI. Not familiar with the RTia9 speakers, but spec wise they would seem to be rather easy to drive so unless you're reading that every RTia9 owner is using an external amp, I would count on the AVR being more than sufficient to drive them. smile.gif

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR3313CI/DENON-AVR-3313CI-7.2-Networking-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-4K-Ready/1.html

Great question, I would appreciate someone's perspective on this. It would be great not to have to buy one if I didn't have to
post #4796 of 10848 Old 01-14-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNaudioguy View Post

Quote:

Great question, I would appreciate someone's perspective on this. It would be great not to have to buy one if I didn't have to

Not an RTia9 owner, but I have Paradigm Studio 60s. Based on measurements posted online, the sensitivity/impedance curves look similar. FWIW, I was making a similar decision a few months ago. I went with the AVR-3313CI so I could add the external amp, but have been happy driving these with just the AVR.

I sleep better at night knowing there is an option to throw in an external if I get the itch to buy more stuff, but suspect I would buy a second sub before adding the external amp.
post #4797 of 10848 Old 01-14-2013, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I wasn't sure terms to search for in the forum, but do any of these receivers have switchable EQs? I usually like my lows brought up a bit and my highs rolled off a touch for music, but this sounds awful for movies and tv. Is there a way to easily switch EQ presets with the remote?
post #4798 of 10848 Old 01-14-2013, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Bought a 1713, which inexpensive amp, read cheap here, should i buy to make zone 2 work?
or
should i just upgrade to 1913, 2113

Can I make zone 2 work with the xx12 models instead?
post #4799 of 10848 Old 01-14-2013, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 View Post

I wasn't sure terms to search for in the forum, but do any of these receivers have switchable EQs? I usually like my lows brought up a bit and my highs rolled off a touch for music, but this sounds awful for movies and tv. Is there a way to easily switch EQ presets with the remote?

Unfortunately on the xx13 models there isn't any way to switch EQ with the remote. With a programmable universal like a Harmony you can do it pretty easily.

Note however that you cannot tweak the Audyssey EQ. It measures your speakers and creates filters to meet predefined "target curves". The "Audyssey" curve is the reference, and EQ's the speakers flat with a gradual high freq roll-off (like the old "X curve"). The "Flat" curve is the same but removes the roll-off. You can read more about these target curves here: https://audyssey.zendesk.com/entries/94162-multeq-target-curves

You can also switch to a Manual EQ which is a simple 9-band graphic EQ that you can tweak to your liking, although doing so will lose the benefit of Dynamic EQ/Volume which only exist when layered on top of Audyssey EQ.

The thing to note though is EQ settings are memorized by INPUT, so if your music source(s) is different than your movies/tv sources, you don't have to flip with the remote, you can just set the input how you want it and leave it as such. For example, you could set the Blu-ray input at Audyssey, the CD player at Audyssey Flat, etc.

Also, the subwoofer volume is memorized by SURROUND MODE family, so if you listen to music in 2.1 stereo you can pump the bass a bit that way for music and it won't affect multichannel modes.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4800 of 10848 Old 01-14-2013, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onorio56 View Post

Bought a 1713, which inexpensive amp, read cheap here, should i buy to make zone 2 work?
or
should i just upgrade to 1913, 2113

Can I make zone 2 work with the xx12 models instead?

Not sure what the question is with the xx12 models, since there is really no difference in Zone capabilities (outside of the Airplay stuff noted in the first few posts of this thread).

My advice is to find a cheap 2ch stereo receiver on craigslist or something. Then you can feed it the RCA input from Zone 2 pre-outs on the 1713, and use the secondary stereo receiver to easily control volume and also bass/treble to tweak the sound.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1513 Receiver , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Denon Avr 1713 Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver , Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread - 2113ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page